Article contributed by Matthew Gavin, RPI Industries
Actually, it turned out to be fairly simple. Luckily my academic interests in engineering and keeping an eye out for costs found a home. After a brief stay at Price Waterhouse, clearly, I needed something more creative. So I sought and found an opportunity working with one of the more creative minds in foodservice: PJ Gavin, who I am blessed to call Dad. I have seen how hard he and his team at RPI and even his competitors work to bring solutions to the nations equipment dealers and consultants and ultimately their end-user operator customers.
But more importantly, foodservice has always seemed to be slightly behind the rest of the world in terms of embracing technology. I saw my joining RPI as an opportunity to merge what I do best: an opportunity to keep an eye on costs and create solutions with what I look at as reverse engineering. I think of that as seeing the solution first and then figuring out how to create and build it.
So, several months into my stay at PWC, my Dad and I were involved in a conversation about the potential of what was being called a food locker. Its a unit that enables a restaurant operator to take and prepare orders and then safety store the meal in a hot or cold locker. With the meal paid for online, it becomes a simple as the take-out customer or third-party delivery firm coming and picking up the food without any contact. That turned into giving my feedback on energy efficiency and a question about the potential of the heat being thrown off by the compressor to evaporate any condensation.
Its amazing that early on, Ive learned that in many cases great tech ideas are either launched or killed based on dumb luck and circumstance. We had no idea that COVID would come along and move Takeout & Delivery to new heights. Our Ondo line of food lockers certainly has found its groove much quicker than any of us anticipated as a result of the Pandemic.
As many of you know the food and equipment industrys big show is the NAFEM Show held every couple of years. Its typically where the latest tech advances make their debut. We brought Ondo to NAFEM 19 in Orlando. You would hardly recognize what the product has morphed into less than two years later. In many ways, Im hoping to take this space and help the industry spot some of the key tech trends early on and then follow them as they evolve and come to market.
At that show, what guests to our booth saw was a big bulky white cabinet. We knew how to make a compartment convertible from hot to cold. I inherited a relationship that my Dad had built with Panasonic to create a kiosk with a lock and key mechanism. There was interest and I began writing code for it, and the conversation continued with Panasonic. It was my job to pull it all together. Little did we know what would lie ahead with COVID.
I think the lesson for all of us with Ondo is that the greater good and real advancement requires the cross blending of technology and foodservice manufacturing expertise. From a purely financial standpoint, it would cost millions to go at this alone to build something out from the bottom up that will ultimately be used by millions of people. What weve learned is you build a team to leverage companies that have expertise in malware and server farms, etc. So for us with Ondo, it began with partnering with Panasonic who has the size and power to make this a reality.
What has been really interesting has been the impact that the Pandemic has had on the restaurant and foodservice equipment business. With that has come a new dependence of food operators on takeout & delivery. From a case manufacturing standpoint that has meant the ability to facilitate contactless transactions between restaurants and their customers.
Although, there are those who look at the foodservice equipment manufacturing industrys approach to technology as archaic, I see a glass half full of opportunity. We live in a world beyond food service that is utilizing automation and robotics, so its just a matter of time. Ultimately like healthcare and finance, our industry will embrace new technology to optimize efficiency. For foodservice, it is going to become essential to battle the challenges of finding labor and optimizing the customer experience in the restaurant.
What I have found most fascinating is the type of entrepreneur that is emerging with their vision of how to maximize takeout and delivery profits while we slug our way through as an industry the second half of the pandemic and then onto the future.
Among the leaders of operators that have vision for the power of technology is Stratis Morfogen. His Brooklyn Dumpling Shop concept is one of the industrys first collaboration of technology and computers. Foodservice has technology and plenty of computers, but the next step will be to add concepts including AI (Artificial Intelligence) to launch a new generation of efficiency. In simple terms that will enable the cost-efficient cloning of code being used to operate in New York to multiple dining units within a brand across the country.
Technology is on the verge of finding its real niche in foodservice. What COVID created is a scenario in which people didnt want to interact with other people and they didnt want to leave their homes. Technology and this new collaboration with computers have enabled visionary operators to create a contactless solution with countless others on the horizon to change our industry.
Matthew Gavin is Vice President of New Technology at RPI Industries. Gavin hails from Moorestown, NJ. He is a graduate of Lehigh University where he earned a degree in integrated engineering. His interest in Math and Science and business has found a home as he works to bring the very latest in technology to the iconic manufacturer of foodservice cabinets and display cases. He can be reached with your new tech ideas and questions at email@example.com
- Global Automotive In-Cabin 3D Sensing Technology Market Report 2021: Market Penetration for Level 2 Cars and Expected Market Penetration for Level 3... - March 3rd, 2021
- Security Technology Strategies at the Core of Business Operations - SecurityInfoWatch - March 3rd, 2021
- CoSN2021: Technology in the Classroom Promotes Equity in Education - EdTech Magazine: Focus on K-12 - March 3rd, 2021
- Lumen Technologies to present at the Morgan Stanley 2021 Technology, Media and Telecom Conference - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - March 3rd, 2021
- Here's the Technology Government Needs in 2021 - Government Technology - March 3rd, 2021
- How criminal investigations have evolved along with technology - THV11.com KTHV - March 3rd, 2021
- Chatbots that resurrect the dead: legal experts weigh in on disturbing technology - The Next Web - March 3rd, 2021
- How technology can help us achieve at least 30% ocean protection (commentary) - Mongabay.com - March 3rd, 2021
- Recovering from the SolarWinds hack could take 18 months - MIT Technology Review - March 3rd, 2021
- Leading facial recognition technology provider Corsight AI announces expansion into the Asia Pacific region - PR Newswire India - March 3rd, 2021
- Microchip Technology Announces Changes to Its Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Parallel Flight Technologies to Participate in the Federal Aviation Administration's BEYOND Program - PRNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Bryce Space and Technology Rebrands to BryceTech - Via Satellite - March 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions Announces Executive Team Expansion - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- Unifrax, Backed by Clearlake Capital, Announces Lithium Ion Battery Anode Technology Coming Early Next Year - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- How beers and Vikings gave Bluetooth technology its name - Yahoo Finance Australia - March 3rd, 2021
- Exro Technologies Inc. - Integrity Statement from the CEO - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2021
- Relivion Wearable Brain Neuromodulation Technology Cleared by FDA for the Treatment of Migraine - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- China eyes next-generation chip technology to take on global rivals - The Japan Times - March 3rd, 2021
- Need a break from technology? Participate in a National Day of Unplugging scavenger hunt - SILive.com - March 3rd, 2021
- Horizon Technology Finance Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results - PRNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Gary Wojtaszek, Former CEO of $12 Billion Data Center Technology REIT CyrusOne, to Join Quantum Loophole Executive Board - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- Elys Game Technology Comments on the Status of Legislation to Legalize Single Event Sports Betting in Canada - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- U.S. to Impose Sweeping Rule Aimed at China Technology Threats - The Wall Street Journal - February 27th, 2021
- What Technology Would Catch Your Eye If You Won the Lottery? - Drovers Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Technology Landscape, Trends and Opportunities in the Global Motion Sensor Market, 2021 Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Learning from history: How forward-thinking legal professionals approach technology - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- Farm-Tested Technology a Win for Grower and Startup - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - February 27th, 2021
- Facebook is 'looking at' facial recognition technology for upcoming smart glasses, executive confirms - CNBC - February 27th, 2021
- Leveraging Technology to Manage Big Data in Antitrust - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- KULR Technology forms partnership with the CSA Group to develop a new battery safety standards - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - February 27th, 2021
- AMSE and Dept. of Energy partner to teach history of technology and science in Oak Ridge - WBIR.com - February 27th, 2021
- Camp Hill-based company to use partnership to develop technology platforms for client institutions - PennLive - February 27th, 2021
- Integrating nature with technology to strengthen climate adaptation - Daily Planet` - February 27th, 2021
- Proposals to meet global challenges in artificial intelligence and technology regulation - Brookings Institution - February 27th, 2021
- Is Technology Changing The Real Estate Industry? - BOSS Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Engineering student's technology could revolutionize the use of drones - University of Miami - University of Miami - February 27th, 2021
- Ideas, technology and a fire in the gut fuel young entrepreneurs - Jacksonville Daily Record - February 27th, 2021
- Technology and Art of Light in the Spotlight: Artists from around the World Gather at Shenzhen International Light Art Forum - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2021
- Chevron launches $300 million fund to focus on low-carbon technology - Reuters - February 27th, 2021
- Sweden's KTH Royal Institute of Technology Selects Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Build New Supercomputer to Advance Academic and Industrial Research -... - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Information Technology Stocks With Unusual Options Alerts In Today's Session - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Dots and Bridges Launches New YouTube Channel to the Highlight the Technology, Humanity and Culture Intersection - Business Wire - February 27th, 2021
- Desert Storm attack pilot integrates 30-years of tactics with new technology - Robins Rev Up - February 27th, 2021
- The Pellicano Hotels Group Selects Lybra as a Preferred Technology Partner, Implementing Lybra's Assistant RMS in all 3 of Their Luxury Properties in... - February 27th, 2021
- Is It Time To Consider Buying Amkor Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMKR)? - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2021 - MIT Technology Review - February 25th, 2021
- New Year, New Technology Priorities - Ward and Smith, PA - February 25th, 2021
- Technology and Innovation Report 2021 - UNCTAD - February 25th, 2021
- Wearable Technology Market Expected to Exceed $74 Billion By 2026 As Wellness Craze Kicks into High Gear - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- OneConnect Financial Technology and Singapore Exchange collaborate to address the region's ESG reporting needs - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GRAPHISOFT Empowers Mission of 400 Forward as Official Software and Technology Partner - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Taking future wireless technology from science fiction to scientific reality - Penn State News - February 25th, 2021
- CRN Names BetterWorld Technology to 2021 MSP 500 List in the Pioneer 250 Category - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GSCW chat recap: Naeem Zafar on using technology to feed the world - FreightWaves - February 25th, 2021
- What Old Technology Do You Think Is Cool? - The New York Times - February 25th, 2021
- New brain scan technology hopes to help people recover from addiction - WBIR.com - February 25th, 2021
- How Technology Will Fuel the COVID-19 Vaccine Administration - Healthcare IT News - February 25th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Named Cloudflare Worldwide MSP Partner of the Year - GlobeNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Lattice and Future Electronics Collaborate on Virtual Technology Sessions for Machine Learning/AI, Embedded Vision, and Secure System Control -... - February 25th, 2021
- Baldwin-Whitehall's Peretin named Technology Administrator of the Year - TribLIVE - February 25th, 2021
- Christian Poellabauer appointed to lead new Applied Analytics and Emerging Technology Lab at Notre Dame - ND Newswire - February 25th, 2021
- The 6th Wave of Advertising Technology: Privacy - AdExchanger - February 25th, 2021
- Global Hydrogen Aircraft Market and Technology Forecast to 2029 - Featuring BAE Systems, Bell Helicopter and Boeing Among Others -... - February 25th, 2021
- Northern Refrigerated Transportation Adds SmartDrive Video-Based Safety to Technology Suite - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- How Nanoemulsion Technology Is Drastically Affecting the Food & Beverage Industry - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- AI could have profound effect on way GCHQ works, says director - The Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Analog Devices, University of Limerick and Stripe Collaborate to Leverage Software Technology for the Transformation of Engineering Education -... - February 25th, 2021
- Adhesive Tapes Market Research Report by Resin Type, by Technology, by Backing Material, by Category, by End-use Industry - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - February 25th, 2021
- NUBURU Establishes Advisory Board of Seasoned Technology Experts - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- Joby Aviation to List on NYSE Through Merger With Reinvent Technology Partners - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- The U.S. Needs a Federal Department of Science and Technology - Scientific American - February 21st, 2021
- Treasure hunting with technology add geocaching to your outdoor activities during COVID-19 - ABC27 - February 21st, 2021
- AIM Institute Offers Free Introduction to Technology Course to Demystify IT - kneb.com - February 21st, 2021
- SAG-AFTRA Leaders Explore Promises & Threats Of New Technologies And Their Impact On Residuals Labor Innovation & Technology Summit -... - February 21st, 2021
- Mobilaris & Lule University of Technology working together to improve AI-based positioning in mining - International Mining - February 21st, 2021
- Apple is already working on developing 6G wireless technology - Ars Technica - February 21st, 2021
- Local buses equipped with technology said to remove 99.9% of COVID-19 from air - WTAE Pittsburgh - February 21st, 2021
- Why Osprey Technology Acquisition Stock Popped Again Today - Motley Fool - February 21st, 2021
- Meet College of Health Sciences and Technology Dean Yong 'Tai' Wang - RIT University News Services - February 21st, 2021