Bitcoins bull run appears to be in full swing amid a broader consensus that 2021 could bring more significant gains. The question now for market participants is how high the cryptocurrency could go and, conversely, which levels could act as support levels or potential entry points for investors looking to buy.
For long-term investors, continuing to HODL coins and trusting forecasts for a bitcoin price rally to over $100,000 by prominent observers is a fairly straightforward way to play the market. Yet, short-term speculators and leverage traders, who rely more on technical analysis to identify price targets, resistance and support levels, may find it difficult to keep doing what theyve been doing without previous price levels to provide obvious guideposts.
Thats because bitcoins latest move above $20,000 has pushed the cryptocurrency into uncharted territory. As the top cryptocurrency has never been traded above $20,000 before, there are no higher price lows or lower price highs that could be considered potential bull/bear targets or support/resistance levels.
In such a situation, Fibonacci extensions and retracements can help identify key price levels, according to William Noble, a chief market technician at Token Metrics.
Fib extensions reveal $26,000 as the next target
The $26,000 level is the 38.2% extension of the move from the March bottom to November highs around $19,000, Noble told CoinDesk during a Zoom interview on Wednesday. Thats the first target for bitcoin.
Bitcoin Fibonacci extension
If prices break above $26,000, the focus would shift to the 61.8% extension at $29,822. According to Noble, the 76% extension at $32,000 could act as resistance or serve as a potential price target.
The Fibonacci extension for an uptrend is drawn by joining three points the lowest price or the point of origin of the bull trend, a major price high, and the low of subsequent pullback bounce. That will generate Fibonacci extension levels of 23.6%; 38.2%, 50.0%, 61.8%.
Bitcoin daily chart: Fibonacci extension and retracement example
Meanwhile, the Fibonacci retracement on an uptrend is drawn by connecting the low and high points to get 23.6%, 38.2%, and 61.8% retracement levels.
These percentages are based on the Fibonacci sequence a series of numbers beginning from 0 and arranged so that any particular number of the series is simply the summation of the previous two numbers. For instance, 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377 and so on.
A closer look at the sequence tells us that every number gets closer and closer to 61.8% of the following number. Further, every number gets closer to the 38.2% of the number two positions to its right and 23.6% of the number three positions to the right of it.
Thats how retracements are calculated. Meanwhile, working the sequence in the reverse order gives extension levels. Traders dont need to know the formula or make calculations, as a charting software or platform like TradingView will do it for them.
The challenge lies in picking the most relevant price points while drawing Fibonacci extension and retracement levels. Its more of an art than science, Noble said.
Fib extensions in 2017
Fibonacci tools served the purpose in 2017 when bitcoin traded in uncharted territory for 10 months.
Bitcoin 3-day chart shows 2017 rally peaking just above 161.8% Fib extension
The cryptocurrency rose to fresh record highs above $1,200 in February and peaked at $19,783 just above the 161.8% Fibonacci extension (extreme extension) of the move higher from January lows to November highs.
Ive never seen anything extend that much, but it did extend 1.618 all the way up to near $20,000, quipped Noble, adding that Fibonacci extensions would have been helpful if you were buying breakouts in 2017.
Many analysts are expecting bitcoin to chart a 2017-like meteoric rally in 2021. However, Noble believes it could play out in the coins associated with decentralized finance (DeFi).
When asked about the level to watch for during potential pullbacks, Noble said the 61.8% retracement might serve well in the alternative cryptocurrencies and DeFi universe coin.
Ignore the RSI
The widely tracked relative strength index (RSI) and other momentum indicators like Stochastic are useful in a range trade and not necessarily in a trend, Noble said.
Newbies and amateur traders often misread the above-70 or overbought reading on the 14-day RSI as a sign of bearish reversal. In reality, the indicator can and does stay overbought longer than sellers can stay solvent, to paraphrase economist John Maynard Keynes.
Bitcoin daily chart
For instance, bitcoin rallied from $11,900 to $19,000 in the four weeks leading up to Nov. 24 despite RSI signaling overbought conditions. A similar pattern was observed on the daily and weekly charts during the 2017 bull run.
I dont know if RSI is going to come into play until you get to one of these [Fibonacci] targets, Noble said. People are having a hard time with bitcoins current rally because its behaving like equities. It goes up, it sits and goes up again.
Traders can also use Gann fans, which are based on the idea the market is geometric and cyclical, and there are pivot points to mark support and resistance levels.
Keeping a close track of changes in the options open interest could also help identify price targets.
Bitcoin options open interest
At press time, options at $20,000, $24,500, and $36,000 strikes show significant buildup of open interest or open positions. Bitcoin is currently trading near $23,450, having hit a new lifetime high of $23,77 during the European trading hours.
- GameStop and Bitcoin Renewed a Push to Digitize the Stock Market - The Wall Street Journal - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin exchange Kraken considers going public after record trading volumes in the first quarter - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- At $60,000, Is Bitcoin Too Expensive? - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- 'We've reached a tipping point' on bitcoin adoption, Fidelity's Tom Jessop says - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- This Financial Advisor Thinks Bitcoin Could Be Headed for Mass Adoption - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- Is there a future for bitcoin? An investor and a skeptic debate - The Verge - April 9th, 2021
- Fidelity Says Bitcoin Adoption Will Keep Accelerating 'We've Reached a Tipping Point' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- The IRS wants to know all about your Bitcoin holdings --- and this court summons is a reminder - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- Gold, Stocks, and Bitcoin: Weekly Overview April 8 - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- BIGtoken to Host Webinar on Thursday, April 15, 2021 to Discuss Bitcoin 2021 and Beyond - Business Wire - April 9th, 2021
- Kevin OLeary says he will only buy bitcoin mined with clean energy, and none mined in China - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- Ripple Granted Access to SEC Documents on Bitcoin, Ether in Ongoing XRP Fight - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- Why the Market is Thinking About Bitcoin Differently - Visual Capitalist - April 9th, 2021
- Texas A&M Mays Innovation Research Center To Host Bitcoin Conference April 16-17 - Texas A&M University Today - April 9th, 2021
- Economist Says Bitcoin Isn't Too Big to Fail Warns BTC Can Only Establish Itself if Governments Allow It Regulation - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- More companies are accepting bitcoin, including PayPal and Xbox - Business Insider - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Crypto Market Smashes Through $2 Trillion As The Price Of Ethereum, Binance Coin, Litecoin And Ripples XRP Suddenly Soar - Forbes - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin: The Aperture Of Money - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle is giving away burritos and Bitcoin. Heres how to play - WBTW - April 2nd, 2021
- Ether Rises to Record as Crypto Rally Broadens Beyond Bitcoin - Bloomberg - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle giving away $100,000 in free burritos and $100,000 in Bitcoin today - syracuse.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin Ever Become Truly Mainstream? - Motley Fool - April 2nd, 2021
- CoinShares Partners With Canadas 3iQ to Launch New Bitcoin ETF on TSX - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Could Bitcoin Solve The Oil Flaring Problem? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Irish Police Investigate Massive Bitcoin Scam That Allegedly Stole Millions From High-Net-Worth Individuals News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Why Is Ethereum Surging, Outperforming Bitcoin Today? - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin miners and fracking companies are working together - Quartz - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Unleashes The Sovereign Individual - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): Hows It Differ From Bitcoin and Whats It Worth? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- BNY Mellon Report Compares Bitcoin and Gold, Study Says 'Gold Is the Only Globally Accepted Currency' Economics Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin's Got Talent crew talks Bitcoin culture and development on CoinGeek Weekly Livestream episode 8 - CoinGeek - April 2nd, 2021
- The Power of ETH and BCH: Smart Bitcoin Cash Project Highlights Innovative Sidechain Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin uses as much energy as Sweden and is on course to use even more - Business Insider - April 2nd, 2021
- A Crypto Exchange Weighs Going Public. Bitcoin Is Just That Hot. - Barron's - March 31st, 2021
- Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: '$1 Trillion Is Nothing Compared To Where This Will Ultimately Be' - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Marathon Digital Holdings to Launch the First North American-Based Bitcoin Mining Pool, Fully Compliant with U.S. Regulations - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin for Babe Ruth? Sports auction house will accept crypto - Aljazeera.com - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF Proposals: The SEC's Long History Of Rejections - Benzinga - March 31st, 2021
- Spanish Island Government Decides to Sell Its Bitcoin Investment by Citing 'Ethical' Reasons News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 31st, 2021
- If History Is Any Indication, $200,000 Bitcoin Is Coming In 2021 - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Here's When the Winklevoss Twins First Discovered Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - March 31st, 2021
- HashWatt.io - HashWatt Sustainable Bitcoin Mining and Captive ESG Energy Development Company announces completion of 2nd financing round to expand... - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz Africa - March 31st, 2021
- Everything you need to know about bitcoin and the crypto revolution underway - MarketWatch - March 31st, 2021
- ARK Invest CEO Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: "$1 Trillion Is Nothing" - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Ray Dalio: The government 'outlawing bitcoin is a good probability' - CNBC - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz - March 26th, 2021
- Jack Dorsey wants the entire world to know hes got a bitcoin clock - The Verge - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin options worth $6bn expiring today: What does it mean for investors? - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- One Ultra-Rare Metal Is Doing Much Better Than Bitcoin This Year - Bloomberg - March 26th, 2021
- Dalio on Bitcoin: 'Good Probability' It Will 'Outlawed' by US Gov - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF The race to follow the trend - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin, crypto investors will be watching these 5 questions facing the Biden administration - MarketWatch - March 26th, 2021
- Guide: What is Bitcoin and how does it work? - CBBC Newsround - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin could surge to $300,000 but winter could last for years when the bubble bursts, says crypto entrepreneur - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 25th, 2021
- Wall Street banks diverge in views on bitcoin boom - Financial Times - March 25th, 2021
- Good probability the U.S. will outlaw bitcoin: Ray Dalio - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin volatility is here to stay, top technician warns - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Blockchain.com Raises $300 Million as Investors Find Other Ways Into Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - March 25th, 2021
- NYDIG Cuts Total Cost of Bitcoin Access to 0.30% - PRNewswire - March 25th, 2021
- Norway is the worlds most cashless country but its central bank isn't keen on bitcoin: 'It doesnt preserve stability' - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin-Based DeFi Project Sovryn Near Agreement on $10M Investment From Pomp - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Mystery Whale Moves 20 Bitcoin Block Rewards from 2010, Entity Moved 10000 BTC Since Last Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoins, coming soon to an ATM near you? - CBS News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is All the Rage, But DeFi Could Be Even Bigger - ETFdb.com - ETFdb.com - March 25th, 2021
- Bank Of America Calls Bitcoin 'Impractical,' And Crypto Community Has A Lot To Say About That - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Stock Market Today With Jim Cramer: Tesla and Bitcoin - TheStreet - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Tesla And GameStop: Ten Numbers That Sum Up The Fastest Market Recovery Ever - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- 'Demand to surge': Expert's $70,000 Bitcoin prediction - Yahoo Finance Australia - February 12th, 2021
- Uber wont buy bitcoin with its cash but would consider accepting it as payment, CEO says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Beyond Bitcoin: The wild world of altcoin cryptocurrency trading - CNET - February 12th, 2021
- Long-awaited bitcoin ETF could finally get approved this year, market analyst says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin outlook: the long term picture looks very sound - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Fintech giant Adyen says it has no interest in bitcoin as a payment method and clients aren't asking for it - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Dollar headed for weekly loss, bitcoin hits record $49,000 - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- 7 public companies with exposure to bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Not Just Bitcoin, Paypal's Vision Involves Central Bank Digital Currencies Too: What You Need To Know - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: What It Is and How It Works - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- BlockFi Launches the BlockFi Bitcoin Trust - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021