UFC 249 ended like we thought it would spectacularly. It was an incredible show filled with exciting fights, unexpected moments and all of the things that make mixed martial arts so great.
Getting to the starting line, though, was a problem, and that has nothing to do with when the card was originally scheduled for April 18.
When news broke on Friday that middleweight Ronaldo Jacare Souza and two of his cornermen had tested positive for COVID-19, it was like a kick to the gut.
Without any other information and knowing only that Souza had the coronavirus and was out of his hotly anticipated fight with Uriah Hall, it felt like this horrible year was going to continue to take its vengeance out on us.
Surely, it seemed, the UFC 249 fight card would not go on.
Were used to that by now five UFC events were postponed prior to Saturday because of the COVID-19 pandemic but on paper, this was one of the great cards the UFC had ever assembled and it appeared that it might be slipping through our grasp.
There were those who, justifiably, wondered if we should have ever gotten to this point. Coronavirus cases around the country are continuing to pop up and at this stage, there is no way to guarantee someone isnt going to catch it no matter how much testing is done.
But people are beginning to break their governors stay-at-home orders because were going stir crazy, and there have been no live sports to keep us company.
As Anthony Smith, the light heavyweight contender who headlines Wednesdays show against Glover Teixeira told Yahoo Sports, You can only watch the replay of the 1995 National Championship game so many times.
Hes right. And finally, the UFC brought live sports back.
JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA - MAY 09: (L-R) Opponents Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje face off prior to their UFC interim lightweight championship fight during the UFC 249 event at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on May 09, 2020 in Jacksonville, Florida. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC)
As if they knew they were on a platform theyd never had before, these fighters poured their hearts out in the cage and in the process, provided a salve on a gaping wound that we needed desperately.
I know where we are right now, said Justin Gaethje, who performed brilliantly and with previously unseen restraint in a fifth-round stoppage victory over Tony Ferguson that was never even close that gave him the interim lightweight belt. I know where peoples minds are. I know how anxiety and depression, those are very, very strong things that can overcome anybody. I just want to inspire.
I think I inspired some people to do better tomorrow than they did today. Thats all I do every day. Thats all I try to do. Im not perfect.
But this event was the perfect antidote for what ails us. For seven hours of the entire card or three hours of the main card or however long you watched, it was a break in the everyday grind.
Turn on the news and all you see is the death toll and the number of jobless claims and conflict and division. This fight card, no matter what you thought of it going in, no matter whether you were even an MMA fan, was a break from the tedium life has become.
It began on the undercard. Vicente Luque and Niko Price went to war in a rematch that would have been Fight of the Night on many shows. Calvin Kattar delivered an elbow to Jeremy Stephens chin that had to sound like Mike Trout teeing up a hanging curve when it connected. Francis Ngannou did what only Francis Ngannou can do, putting Jairzinho Rozenstruik to sleep within 20 seconds with a blistering left hook.
Henry Cejudo defended his bantamweight championship with a remarkable performance, becoming the first man to stop the legendary Dominick Cruz. Then, Cejudo stunned everyone by announcing his retirement.
Walking to the cage, he flung his hat into the empty arena like hed done so many times in front of a crazed and packed crowd. He did it just to continue the ritual, to make things seem normal.
He wants to move on to a more normal life. He grew up largely without a father in very impoverished conditions in Los Angeles to become a hugely successful athlete. He won an Olympic gold medal in freestyle wrestling in 2008, then became one of only four UFC fighters to hold titles in two weight classes simultaneously.
Hes been a prisoner of the grind that locks elite athletes in, and wants to live that normal life with our families that we all seek.
Its more the freedom, Cejudo said of his reason for walking away at just 33. Youve followed my story since the Olympics. I havent stopped since. Give a brother a break, man. But I did want to leave on top. Its a Cinderella story.
JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA - MAY 09: Henry Cejudo announces his retirement in the Octagon after his victory over Dominick Cruz in their UFC bantamweight championship fight during the UFC 249 event at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on May 09, 2020 in Jacksonville, Florida. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC)
All of that would have been taken away had Souzas positive test caused the UFC to cancel Saturdays show.
White was adamant that we needed to move on and find a way to live while still battling the coronavirus.
Saturdays was the first of three shows the UFC scheduled at VyStar. The next is Wednesday and the finale will be on May 16.
White, in a brief post-fight telephone conversation with Yahoo Sports, said things will continue to get better.
Well improve, he said. Well be better on Wednesday than we were tonight and well be better next Saturday than we are on Wednesday. I thought the card was [expletive] awesome. I say it all the time but we do all the bells and whistles and these guys deliver and man did they deliver tonight. It was [expletive] awesome.
Awesome it was.
And, more importantly, desperately needed. We can go back to watching the death toll monotonously rising on Sunday.
For a few hours on a Saturday, though, Justin Gaethje, Henry Cejudo and all of the UFC staff and fighters who took part made UFC 249 the perfect antidote for what ails this nation.
More UFC 249 coverage from Yahoo Sports:
See the original post here:
- How to add contacts to your Yahoo Mail account manually in 2 ways - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Donald Trump: Drew Brees will 'regret' apologizing after comments on national anthem protests - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Whitewashed and erased': There's a reason Juneteenth isn't taught in schools, educators say - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- The controversial ice cream changing its 'derogatory' name - Yahoo News Australia - June 20th, 2020
- From '100 percent' to 'a disaster': A timeline on how MLB's season has been pushed to the brink - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- The Future of Stadiums: How will America's sports venues be transformed by the pandemic? - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Into The Wild' bus removed from Alaska wilderness - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fact-checking claims it might have started in August 2019 - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Tucker Carlson warns that Black Lives Matter is 'more popular than the president' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 20th, 2020
- How a filmmaker's zero-budget horror topped the box office in virus-hit America - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Meet the Su-25: Russia's Sort-of A-10 Warthog - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- University of Virginia changes logo, removing design linked to school's history with slavery - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- Travelers accused of breaking quarantine set to leave Hawaii - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Uncle Ben's rice: 'Now is the right time' to change - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Some out-of-work Americans are waiting in line overnight hoping to get their claims processed - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Trump on coronavirus testing: If we stopped testing right now, wed have very few cases, if any - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Drew Brees addresses NFL players kneeling in 2020: 'I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck offers thoughts on NBA's 22-team return plan - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Trump says the economy will cure the 'very sad problem' of police killing blacks - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Italy hopes EU nations will open borders to Italians from June 15 - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- May's jobs report surprise masked weaknesses that could make the rebound a 'head fake' - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- For the first time, Mexico records more COVID-19 deaths in a day than the U.S. - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- J.C. Penney to Proceed With DIP Financing - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- How this week changed America forever - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- People have been frightened to go back to hospitals and clinics: UCLA Hospital System CEO - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Enraged New York driver who chased protesters with blades attached to arm is arrested - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- George W. Bush calls on US to examine its 'tragic failures' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wall St. pro says the current rally reminds him of March 2009 - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Oils Recovery Is Being Threatened by the Discord Rattling OPEC+ - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Eye of the storm: African Development Bank chief Akinwumi Adesina - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Gregg Popovich unleashes fiery statement on Trump: 'What we have is a fool in place of a president' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Breaking with party, GOP senator says rebuke of Trump 'necessary' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Fired watchdog tells Congress he informed top officials about probe into Pompeo and wife - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Detained US Navy veteran freed by Iran as part of deal - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- 'Tiger King' update: Sheriff says will of Carole Baskin's late husband Don Lewis was forged - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2020
- On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in Normandy - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wearing Face Masks and Social Distancing Actually Work to Contain COVID-19, According to a New Study - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Denver police ordered to stop using tear gas and plastic bullets in protests - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Postcards from the edge: Snapshots of European football's return - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- FBI's top lawyer, Dana Boente, ousted amid Fox News criticism for role in Flynn investigation - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Damian Lillard doesnt plan to participate in resumed NBA season if Blazers don't have true opportunity to make playoffs - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- Andy Cohen rehomed beloved dog after 'incident' with son: 'A piece of my heart is gone' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Trump's draft executive order targeting social media companies sparks battle inside the White House - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Dave Matthews speaks out during live-stream about George Floyd and police brutality: 'It is shameful' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Zion Williamson files for protective order from demand he admit receiving illegal benefits at Duke - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- One of the coldest places on Earth is experiencing a record-breaking heat wave - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Walmart stores suffer damage from George Floyd protests and looting several hundred forced to close early - Yahoo Finance - June 1st, 2020
- Dragon-riding astronauts join exclusive inner circle at NASA - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- EU urges U.S. to reconsider decision to cut ties with WHO - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 cases may be more common than suspected - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Turner: 'The Match' was most-watched golf event in cable history - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- If Kevin Stefanski can't turn around Baker Mayfield who is 'way more talented' than Kirk Cousins Browns are in trouble - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- China-India border: Why tensions are rising between the neighbours - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Kentucky Basketball: Where the Wildcats stand in Yahoo NBA Mock Draft - A Sea Of Blue - June 1st, 2020
- Oil Trades at Six-Week High on Supply Cuts and Demand Recovery - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- FBI serves warrant on senator in investigation of stock sales linked to coronavirus - Yahoo Parenting - May 15th, 2020
- Man and woman 'found walking on road with body parts in suitcases' - Yahoo News Australia - May 15th, 2020
- Moscow says it ascribed over 60% of coronavirus deaths in April to other causes - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Ahmaud Arbery's killing was heinous, but it wasn't a surprise - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- The pandemic may have solved MLB's most polarizing debate: Get ready for the universal DH - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Philippines evacuates hundreds of thousands as typhoon makes landfall - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Scientists want to investigate if mouthwash kills the infection - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 15th, 2020
- Former MLB manager Art Howe in ICU with coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Surviving the coronavirus is one thing. Recovering is another - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Why 14.7% unemployment doesnt tell the whole story: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- TSMC to Build Chip Plant in Arizona With Government Support - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 14th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What American workers should know about their rights as the economy reopens - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Companies are dropping big hints about the 'new normal' once coronavirus lockdowns end - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Wuhan reopened last month. Now, new coronavirus infections spark mass testing and renewed fears - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Why this inactive slugger might be MLB's highest-paid player in 2020 - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Goodbye offices? Working from home might be here to stay - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Ahmaud Arbery: What do we know about the case? - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul: Pandemic Response Marred by Wrong Prediction after Wrong Prediction - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- 'More than sufficient probable cause' in US killing of black jogger - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Jerry Stiller's death has a baseball star from the 1990s unexpectedly trending - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Sources: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says 'there will be a series of bad options' regarding continuation of season - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Supreme Court appears split on whether Congress and prosecutors can see Trump's tax returns - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Tom Brady slams report claiming his relationship with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels had deteriorated - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows mixed reactions to Biden's handling of Tara Reade assault claim - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020