The Unionville-Chadds Ford School District overhauledits discipline policy last year. Major changes included flexibility in metingout student punishments so reprimands better suit infractions; mandatoryeducation and counseling for smoking, alcohol, and drug offenses; and a chancefor the rescission of a single suspension from student records. Initially,rescission was deemed important because district policy stated that suspensionsmust be reported on college applications.
At the Sept. 16 school board meeting, directors votedto change policy 216 so that Unionville High School will no longer report anydisciplinary actions on student college applications.
This policy change only impacts how the schooladministration completes each students college application. Students will still have to answer whether ornot they have been suspended on their portion of the form.
Board members spoke both for and against this changeat the three-hour Sept. 9 work session.Just to remind everyone, this does not in any way, shape or form changethe rescission policy that we agreed to a year and a half ago, board memberJohn Murphy said. I did have some concern that this would be conflicting ortaking the effectiveness out of rescission, but after discussions with Dr.Sanville, I understand now that a student has to self-report disciplinaryaction. So if a student is suspended and has a rescission, they in clear consciencecan self-report on the common app that they have not been disciplined. Ipersonally dont feel that a counselor should have an ethical dilemma, becauseto me, a rescission is the same as an expungement. But if they feel it is anethical dilemma on their part, then I support this.
When asked in an email why the counselors have thisethical dilemma while students with a rescinded suspension do not, the districtresponded that, Some counselors feel like it goes against their ethicalstandards of counseling.
Board member Elise Anderson emphasized that studentswill still have to answer the suspension question on their college application,and added, I think that its important to recognize that in our community,many feel this is the jurisdiction of the parents. Our discipline policy, if Iask myself what the purpose of the policy is, is to have a safe environmenthere, and an environment suited for optimal education for all our students. Andif I boil it down to that, I support this change.
Board president Jeff Hellrung said that the revisionsto the discipline policy approved last April ensure that the student pays anappropriate price for their actions. They are still suspended, and they willreceive counseling or perform other educational activities to make up for theiroffense. Accountability is important,and non-reporting doesnt change any of that, Hellrung said. Theyve been accountable, theyve paid a penalty,theyve learned, and theyre moving on, and we are moving on together withthem. Why should high school behavior follow them to college and beyond?
Board member Tom Day opposed the policy change duringthe work session. Day said that offering a chance for rescission should beenough to remedy a one-time student mistake. Our kids are mature enough torealize that discipline comes at a cost, and we have offered them a chance forsecond chances vis-a-vis the rescission policy, but in the event thedisciplinary action is not rescinded, I dont see any reason why we should not report,he said.
Day softened his position when it was time to voteduring the Sept. 16 board meeting. Over the past month, Ive spoken toadministration, Ive spoken to school leadership, and Ive spoken to members ofthe community, Day said. And I understand now the inconsistencies inreporting discipline across the schools in our country and our county vary, andI realize and understand and appreciate the inconsistencies in reportingbetween colleges that have the common application and dont have the commonapplication, and further understand and appreciate the inconsistencies withoutthis policy that would occur within our own district. So with that said, I willvote in favor of this.
The policy change passed 6-2. Board members Bob Sage and Steve Simonsonvoted against it. Carolyn Daniels wasabsent due to a recent surgery.
Hellrung closed the meeting by citing the boardspositive working relationship. I really do appreciate being on this board andbeing able to debate very difficult and sometimes complicated and controversialquestions, he said. And I appreciate the lengths that each board member goesto, whether youve been in favor, or ended up in favor, or opposed, forexample, to policy 216. I reallyappreciate the diligence and conscientiousness that everyone put into it. AsDr. Sanville said, the ability to disagree agreeably has been on display. Ithink our board has been kind of a beacon of civility in a sometimes less-than-civilworld, and Im really appreciative of that.
In other news, Chadds Ford Elementary School PrincipalShawn Dutkiewicz resigned effective Sept 30, 2019 to assume the role of theRadnor Township School Districts Elementary Director of Teaching and Learning.CFE parents were notified on Aug. 26 via an email. The board approved thehiring of Dennis McKnight as the Chadds Ford Elementary School InterimPrincipal at a salary of $700 per day, effective Oct 1.
This is not our first go-around having Dr. McKnighthere, Sanville said. Dr. McKnight has been the interim principal at the highschool, the interim principal at the middle school, and he has also had somestints over in Radnor, which is where he is right now. Were thrilled you canjoin us and be part of the team at Chadds Ford until we can find a permanentprincipal.
Ten Top High Schools in PA, according to US Newsand World Report. The Chester County Press asked if they report suspensions oncollege applications:
1. Masterman,Philadelphia: YES
2. DowningtownStem Academy: YES
3. RadnorHigh School: NO
4. CentralHigh School, Philadelphia: YES
5. ConestogaHigh School, Berwyn: NO
6. StrathHaven High School, Wallingford: YES
7. UnionvilleHigh School: NO, effective 2019
8. NewHope-Solebury High School, New Hope: NO
9. UpperSt. Clair High School, Pittsburgh: NO
10. NorthwestCollegiate Academy, Erie: NO
Kennett High School: Did not respond +
Avon Grove High School: NO
Oxford High School:NO, unless college requires it and parent gives written consent
+ The default is YESunless stated in school policy. While the Chester County Press could not find it in the policy manual, we could not confirm with theschool.
- New Clinical Tool Predicts 1- and 2-Year Mortality in Cystic Fibrosis - Pulmonology Advisor - September 29th, 2019
- CF Foundation Awards Eloxx $1.61M to Support Trial in People with Nonsense Mutations - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - September 29th, 2019
- Physical Activity Levels in CF Should Be Objectively Researched, Review Says - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - September 29th, 2019
- CF man admits to hit-and-run with stolen vehicle - Leader-Telegram - September 29th, 2019
- Bond Head Cystic Fibrosis Warrior, Madi Vanstone back from her trek to the Great Wall of China - CollingwoodToday - September 29th, 2019
- Would CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:CF) Be Valuable To Income Investors? - Simply Wall St - September 29th, 2019
- Watching the Consensus Target Price on These Shares: CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:CF) - Blackwell Bulletin - September 29th, 2019
- LCI More Sensitive Than FEV1 in Patients With Milder CF, Study Contends - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - September 22nd, 2019
- Inter Miami CF signs U.S youth international George Acosta - Stars and Stripes FC - September 22nd, 2019
- Former CF Chamber official, husband honored as Oktoberfest royalty - Leader-Telegram - September 22nd, 2019
- Wefunders Nick Tommarello Posts Comment on SEC Concept Release: Currently, Reg CF is Most Often a Funding Option of Last Resort - Crowdfund Insider - September 22nd, 2019
- KBRA Assigns Preliminary Ratings to CF 2019-CF2 - Business Wire - September 22nd, 2019
- FIFA 20 best strikers - the best ST, CF, LF and RFs in FIFA - Eurogamer.net - September 22nd, 2019
- FIFA 20 Best Strikers in Career Mode | Best ST, CF - Gamepur - September 22nd, 2019
- 1st CF Biosimilar of Dornase Alfa Inhalation Solution Approved in Russia - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - September 20th, 2019
- Medical research in Birmingham improving lives of people with cystic fibrosis - Bham Now - September 20th, 2019
- KBRA Assigns Preliminary Ratings to CF 2019-CF2 - Yahoo Finance - September 20th, 2019
- CF Industries (CF) Shares Rise 22% in 6 Months: Here's Why - Yahoo Finance - September 20th, 2019
- Lauren Albright: She tackles work, and Cystic Fibrosis, with positivity - Lehigh Valley Business - September 20th, 2019
- Scottish Health Insurance System to Cover Orkambi, Symkevi for CF - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - September 20th, 2019
- CF school building projects making progress | Local News - Leader-Telegram - September 20th, 2019
- Constable: 'Miracle baby' now working on cystic fibrosis cure - Chicago Daily Herald - September 20th, 2019
- CF woman charged with making false 911 call | Local News - Leader-Telegram - September 20th, 2019
- The lowdown on Granada CF - FC Barcelona - September 20th, 2019
- Xeen CF First Look - Newsshooter - September 20th, 2019
- New XEEN CF Prime Lenses Released Compact and Lightweight - cinema5D news - September 20th, 2019
- CF Industries: A Cash Machine Thriving On Cheap Natural Gas - Seeking Alpha - September 20th, 2019
- Diamondbacks CF Ketel Marte exits vs. Marlins with back stiffness - Arizona Sports - September 20th, 2019
- CF Benchmarks Gets FCA License to Provide Crypto Index in Europe - Finance Magnates - September 20th, 2019
- Questions Remain, But Analysts Stay Bullish: Heron Therapeutics (HRTX), CF Industries Holdings (CF) - US Post News - September 20th, 2019
- Reg CF: In More than 3 Years this Crowdfunding Exemption has Seen Zero Fraud in Contrast to What Some Expected - Crowdfund Insider - September 20th, 2019
- Why Adam Haseley must be the Phillies' starting CF next season - Philly Sports Network - September 20th, 2019
- Brave CF 27 Full Card Announced - Cageside Press - September 20th, 2019
- BB&T Securities LLC Sells 1,923 Shares of Cushing Energy Income Cf (NYSE:SRF) - TechNewsObserver - September 20th, 2019
- Red Sox place CF Jackie Bradley Jr. on DL with sprained left thumb - ESPN - August 25th, 2017
- Brief reprieve at CF pool - Ocala - August 25th, 2017
- Slumping fertilizer producers gear up to fill truck demand (CF, AGU, DAI, YAR, POT, UPS, FDX) - Markets Insider - August 25th, 2017
- Adam Jones Becomes 1st Orioles CF Since 1924 with 4-for-4, 2-Homer Night - Bleacher Report - August 25th, 2017
- New Combination Therapy for Cystic Fibrosis Being Reviewed by FDA and EMA - Rare Disease Report - August 25th, 2017
- Analyst's Bullish on these two stock Following meeting with Industry: CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF), Archer ... - StockNewsJournal - August 25th, 2017
- Inhaled Hypertonic Saline Solution Helps Sputum Production in CF Children, Study Shows - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - August 25th, 2017
- JaCoby Jones anxious to reclaim Tigers' CF role - The Detroit News - August 20th, 2017
- First Ride Canyon Inflite CF SLX cross bike - VeloNews - August 20th, 2017
- Ath. Bilbao vs Getafe CF live streaming free: preview, prediction - The Sherbrooke Times - August 20th, 2017
- CF Community Church mission trip changes lives - Myhorrynews - August 20th, 2017
- CF Community Church mission trip changes lives | Carolina Forest ... - Myhorrynews - August 20th, 2017
- Are Analysts Pounding the Table on CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:CF)? - Stock Talker - August 20th, 2017
- PREP FOOTBALL: Fall River hoping to dethrown CF in conference in Zander's third year as coach - WiscNews - August 18th, 2017
- Pre-Market Technical Pulse on Agricultural Chemicals Stocks -- CF Industries, EI du Pont de Nemours, Intrepid Potash ... - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- CF Industries Holdings Inc. (CF) Dips 3.48% for August 17 - Equities.com - August 18th, 2017
- Editorial: CF's new campus a game-changer in Levy County - Ocala - August 16th, 2017
- European Experts OK Design of Trial to Assess Sollpura for CF-related Digestive Disorder - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - August 16th, 2017
- Pre-Market Technical Pulse on Agricultural Chemicals Stocks -- CF Industries, EI du Pont de Nemours, Intrepid Potash ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- How to Trade these Stock After an unavoidable Selloff: CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF), Vonage Holdings Corp. (VG) - StockNewsJournal - August 16th, 2017
- CF Patients in Europe Wanted for Phase 2 Trial of Investigational Therapy RPL554 - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - August 15th, 2017
- Kate Farms Launches Core Essentials Peptide Tube Feeding Formula for CF, Other Conditions - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - August 15th, 2017
- Prep golf: CF Boys take second at Linn-Mar - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - August 15th, 2017
- Canyon Inflite CF SLX first ride review - BikeRadar - BikeRadar.com - August 15th, 2017
- New Canyon Inflite CF SLX revisits the cyclocross bike ... - Cycling Weekly - August 14th, 2017
- Anthera's late-stage study of Sollpura to be included in European CF network; shares ahead 9% premarket - Seeking Alpha - August 14th, 2017
- Another motive To buy these stock: CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF), Hologic, Inc. (HOLX) - StockNewsJournal - August 14th, 2017
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals May Be Turning Some Major Corners - Seeking Alpha - August 14th, 2017
- CF Corporation Shareholders Approve Merger with Fidelity & Guaranty Life - PR Newswire (press release) - August 14th, 2017
- CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF) Investment Down in Latest Report from Van Eck Associates Corp - Modern Readers - August 13th, 2017
- Beautify CF leader quits amid fight over signs - Myhorrynews - August 11th, 2017
- Options Traders Expect Huge Moves in CF Industries Holdings (CF) Stock - Nasdaq - August 11th, 2017
- Volume Moving the Tape For CF Industries Holdings Inc (CF) - Morgan Research - August 11th, 2017
- Georgia couple raising twins with cystic fibrosis - FOX 5 Atlanta - August 10th, 2017
- Insider Trading Activity CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:CF) VP Sold 6400 shares of Stock - Market Exclusive - August 10th, 2017
- Postgame: Byron Buxton is sore but OK after another crash into CF ... - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 10th, 2017
- Postgame: Byron Buxton is sore but OK after another crash into CF wall - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- CF Corporation Shareholders Approve Merger with Fidelity & Guaranty Life - Markets Insider - August 9th, 2017
- CF Patients' Sweat May Contain Diagnosis and Treatment ... - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - August 9th, 2017
- CF, Anxiety, and the Mistakes I Made in the War for My Mind - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - August 9th, 2017
- Buy or Sell? What Analysts Recommends: CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF), SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (SEAS) - StockNewsJournal - August 9th, 2017
- Classy Real Madrid CF see off Manchester United FC to win UEFA Super Cup - Hindustan Times - August 9th, 2017
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 first ride review - BikeRadar.com - August 8th, 2017
- PES 2018 makes it official with Valencia CF partnership ... - Videogamer.com - August 8th, 2017
- CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:CF) Trading Volume Significantly Higher - Modern Readers - August 6th, 2017
- What You Need to Know about CF Industries' 2Q17 Earnings - Market Realist - August 5th, 2017