LAS VEGAS The man who calls himself the Gypsy King became the king of boxing Saturday in a stellar performance at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Pay little mind to the three heavyweight title belts that IBF-WBA-WBO champion Anthony Joshua added to his trophy case in December when he outpointed an out-of-shape Andy Ruiz Jr. in Saudi Arabia.
On Saturday, Fury showed Joshua, Deontay Wilder and every other fighter and fight fan in the world how it is done.
Joshua was timid, cautious and uninspired in his one-sided decision over a weight-addled Ruiz. Fury was bold, courageous and strong in going right after the man regarded by some as the biggest puncher in heavyweight history and chopping him down in seven one-sided rounds.
Fury knocked Wilder down with a sizzling right hand in the third and a crunching left to the body in the fifth, and had him staggering and wobbling around the ring for much of their heavily hyped fight for the WBC and lineal heavyweight championships.
After getting a disappointing split draw in their first fight on Dec. 1, 2018, Fury vowed to change his tactics. He changed his trainer, replacing Ben Davison, a close personal friend, with Javan SugarHill Steward, and said hed go forward and knock Wilder out. Fury is a consummate boxer and most laughed off his pre-fight words as nothing more than hype to sell a very popular pay-per-view fight.
That, though, is just what he did, and not without plenty of risk to his health. Wilder scored 41 knockouts in his first 43 fights en route to a 42-0-1 record and the WBC title.
British boxer Tyson Fury celebrates after defeating US boxer Deontay Wilder in the seventh round during their World Boxing Council (WBC) Heavyweight Championship Title boxing match at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on February 22, 2020. (Photo by Mark RALSTON / AFP) (Photo by MARK RALSTON/AFP via Getty Images)
Furys defense has always been stellar, but it was his offense that neutralized Wilders power Saturday. Fury came out of his corner at the opening bell and winged a right at Wilders head that whistled just past the Alabamans ear. That set the tone for the night, even if Wilder didnt know it at the time.
The 6-foot-9 Fury used everything in his arsenal. He was jabbing Wilder and keeping him from getting in punching range. He was throwing, and connecting, on the right hand regularly. And in the few times there were clinches, Fury smartly leaned his 273 pounds on Wilders back until referee Kenny Bayless broke it up.
He did everything that Joshua did not do in Saudi Arabia. Joshua won, but he didnt do anything to help the sport or to prove he was the best in the world. He was timid and cautious and unwilling to accept risk.
Until Joshua lost to Ruiz last June, hed been the top dog in the division because of his unbeaten record and his ability to fill stadiums. But his rise came when Fury was battling depression and had ballooned to 400 pounds and contemplated suicide.
Its almost a miracle that Fury was able to go from a suicidal coked out alcoholic into a near-perfect heavyweight fighting machine in less than two years.
He was fit, fast and smart and had a loud portion of the sell-out crowd of 15,816 in his corner. They paid a heavyweight record $16.9 million for the privilege to see his crowning achievement.
He came to the ring wearing a crown and carried on a throne and he showed himself to be the king of boxing, not just by the result but by the approach.
That is the kind of performance that wont just get his countrymen excited; its going to generate interest among fans all over the world.
Hes a witty, well-spoken man who worked tirelessly along with Wilder to sell the fight. He then went out and fought in a manner that made those who paid for it feel like they got their moneys worth, even despite the dreadful undercard that preceded it.
Fury holds all the cards now as hell move forward in an attempt to unify the belts. Joshua has a spring date with Kubrat Pulev in a mandatory defense hes expected to win. After that, all of the pressure will be on him to sign to fight Fury in a bout for the undisputed title.
Joshua lost his advantages not only when he got knocked out by Ruiz last year, but by his tentative approach in the rematch. If you watched that fight and then watched Saturdays Fury-Wilder fight, which guy would you pay to see fight again?
The heavyweight division is back and its Tyson Fury who is driving the train.
More Wilder-Fury 2 coverage from Yahoo Sports:
The rest is here:
- Postcards from the edge: Snapshots of European football's return - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- FBI's top lawyer, Dana Boente, ousted amid Fox News criticism for role in Flynn investigation - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Damian Lillard doesnt plan to participate in resumed NBA season if Blazers don't have true opportunity to make playoffs - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- Andy Cohen rehomed beloved dog after 'incident' with son: 'A piece of my heart is gone' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Trump's draft executive order targeting social media companies sparks battle inside the White House - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Dave Matthews speaks out during live-stream about George Floyd and police brutality: 'It is shameful' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Zion Williamson files for protective order from demand he admit receiving illegal benefits at Duke - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- One of the coldest places on Earth is experiencing a record-breaking heat wave - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Walmart stores suffer damage from George Floyd protests and looting several hundred forced to close early - Yahoo Finance - June 1st, 2020
- Dragon-riding astronauts join exclusive inner circle at NASA - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- EU urges U.S. to reconsider decision to cut ties with WHO - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 cases may be more common than suspected - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Turner: 'The Match' was most-watched golf event in cable history - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- If Kevin Stefanski can't turn around Baker Mayfield who is 'way more talented' than Kirk Cousins Browns are in trouble - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- China-India border: Why tensions are rising between the neighbours - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Kentucky Basketball: Where the Wildcats stand in Yahoo NBA Mock Draft - A Sea Of Blue - June 1st, 2020
- Oil Trades at Six-Week High on Supply Cuts and Demand Recovery - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- FBI serves warrant on senator in investigation of stock sales linked to coronavirus - Yahoo Parenting - May 15th, 2020
- Man and woman 'found walking on road with body parts in suitcases' - Yahoo News Australia - May 15th, 2020
- Moscow says it ascribed over 60% of coronavirus deaths in April to other causes - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Ahmaud Arbery's killing was heinous, but it wasn't a surprise - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- The pandemic may have solved MLB's most polarizing debate: Get ready for the universal DH - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Philippines evacuates hundreds of thousands as typhoon makes landfall - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Scientists want to investigate if mouthwash kills the infection - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 15th, 2020
- Former MLB manager Art Howe in ICU with coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Surviving the coronavirus is one thing. Recovering is another - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Why 14.7% unemployment doesnt tell the whole story: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- TSMC to Build Chip Plant in Arizona With Government Support - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 14th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What American workers should know about their rights as the economy reopens - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Companies are dropping big hints about the 'new normal' once coronavirus lockdowns end - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Wuhan reopened last month. Now, new coronavirus infections spark mass testing and renewed fears - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Why this inactive slugger might be MLB's highest-paid player in 2020 - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Goodbye offices? Working from home might be here to stay - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Ahmaud Arbery: What do we know about the case? - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul: Pandemic Response Marred by Wrong Prediction after Wrong Prediction - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- UFC 249 delivers a welcome distraction from pandemic-afflicted world - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- 'More than sufficient probable cause' in US killing of black jogger - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Jerry Stiller's death has a baseball star from the 1990s unexpectedly trending - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Sources: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says 'there will be a series of bad options' regarding continuation of season - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Supreme Court appears split on whether Congress and prosecutors can see Trump's tax returns - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Tom Brady slams report claiming his relationship with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels had deteriorated - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows mixed reactions to Biden's handling of Tara Reade assault claim - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, 53, teases comeback: 'It may not be over yet' - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Karl-Anthony Towns shares message from mom on Mother's Day after losing her to coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- These U.S. cities are best positioned to bounce back from the coronavirus pandemic, according to Moody's - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Tony Ferguson suffered orbital fracture in UFC 249 loss to Justin Gaethje - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- LeBron James says Jerry West would average 24-27 points a game in todays NBA - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- Northeast China hit by coronavirus infections, Wuhan reports new case - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- What to look for in the fourth stimulus bill - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Pandemic modelers expect loosening restrictions to lead to coronavirus case increase in coming weeks - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- Bizarre 'dragon' creatures found washed up on beach - Yahoo News Australia - May 11th, 2020
- How one doctor is fighting coronavirus and Trump - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- Mail-In Ballots Are a Recipe for Confusion, Coercion, and Fraud - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- Neighbor of father and son arrested in Ahmaud Arbery killing is also under investigation - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- MLB reportedly cuts draft to five rounds in cost-cutting measure - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- More Clorox disinfecting wipes are on the way to fight COVID-19: CEO - Yahoo Money - May 11th, 2020
- Lockdown will be extended for another three weeks, Nicola Sturgeon reveals - Yahoo News UK - May 11th, 2020
- Oil Resumes Rally With Prices Doubling Over Last Five Days - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Natural Gas Breaks $2.00 On Upside Rally and Next Target - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Italy eases virus lockdown, and gets first reckoning of toll - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- The University of Illinois made a prophetic insurance bet in 2017 - Yahoo Money - May 6th, 2020
- Beyond Meat earnings beat expectations, founder says it's the plant-based meat 'industry's moment' - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- The Trump administration is privately estimating the daily coronavirus death rate will double in the next month - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- Reopening states will cause 233,000 more people to die from coronavirus, according to Wharton model - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- NFL to release 2020 schedule in 3-hour special on Thursday - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- As states push ahead with reopening, CDC warns coronavirus cases and deaths are set to soar - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- Clorox has seen 500% increases in demand during the COVID-19 pandemic: CEO - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- NYSE trading floor vet on why hes much more productive and profitable working at home - Yahoo Money - May 6th, 2020
- Is Now the Right Time to Invest in Boeing Stock? 5-Star Analyst Weighs In - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Gareth Evans reveals pitch for his 'lean, visceral' Deathstroke movie that never happened (exclusive) - Yahoo Finance UK - May 6th, 2020
- Did NFL teams meet their top offseason roster needs? Here's a look back - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- What is a recession: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Buffett: 'I would disagree quite violently' with notion that passive investing is dead - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- A KBO primer: Here's what you need to know to enjoy the return of baseball in South Korea - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Meat Shortages Leave Wendys Diners Asking, Wheres the Beef? - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Corey Davis' fifth-year option declined, 4 of top 5 picks from 2017 draft have been disappointing - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Bill Gates: 'We're in big trouble' until the U.S. has better coronavirus testing - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus will change how stuff gets to you - Yahoo Money - April 11th, 2020
- Phillies' Zack Wheeler has best possible reason to dislike proposed isolated MLB season - Yahoo Sports - April 11th, 2020