Tesla Inc. (TSLA) designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electric vehicles and energy generation and storage systems in the United States, China, the Netherlands, Norway, and around the globe. The company has two segments, automotive and energy generation and storage.
Elon Musk, the founder of the company and guiding force behind its innovation, has been a controversial character. While he has more than a handful of detractors, he has developed a cult-like following. Since late 2019, Mr. Musk has been delivering for his shareholders in a big way. Last week, in Davos, Switzerland, US President Donald Trump, in an interview on CNBC, compared Elon Musk with Thomas Edison and the inventor of the wheel. The innovator has other interests outside of Tesla. His Boring Company is developing new modes of high-speed public transportation. SpaceX is working to reduce the cost of space transportation to enable the colonization of Mars. Mr. Musk is not the typical billionaire; he is a man who will go down in history as one of the most significant innovators of his time.
Meanwhile, those who believed in Mr. Musk have been reaping the rewards. The price of Tesla (TSLA) shares have exploded to the upside.
A bumpy ride for Tesla (TSLA) shares in 2019
There were times in 2019, where more than a few analysts believed that the cash burn at Tesla (TSLA) would force the company into bankruptcy.
As the chart shows, TSLA shares dropped to a low of $176.99 in June 2019, just seven months ago. The stock had more than halved in value from the late 2018 peak of $379.49. Only a handful of believers of Elon Musk remained bullish, and those who bought shares at below the $200 level were rewarded handsomely. Some analysts went as far as calling Mr. Musk a huckster with projections the shares were going to zero when the stock was on its low.
The stock explodes to the upside starting in late 2019 on Q3 earnings
The 2018 high in Tesla (TSLA) shares was $387.48. Just six months after the company was staring into the abyss last June, the stock surpassed the 2018 peak price and rose to a new all-time high in mid-December. The third quarter 2019 earnings blew the cover off the ball for Tesla as the profits beat consensus estimates decisively.
(Source: Yahoo Finance)
The chart shows that after missing consensus estimates for three consecutive quarters, Tesla (TSLA) earned $1.86 per share in Q3 when the market expected a loss of 42 cents.
(Source: Yahoo Finance)
The chart shows that Tesla (TSLA) shares exploded to the upside, to a high of $594.50, over three times the price in the low in June 2019. The stock closed at $564.82 on Friday, January 24.
In a sign that Mr. Musk has not made believers of all members of the analyst community, a survey of 30 analysts on Yahoo Finance has an average price target of only $368.35 on the stocks with a range between $61.57 and $810.51.
TSLA has a larger market cap than General Motors (GM) and Ford (F) combined
Tesla has come a long way since last June, and a correction in the stock would not be a surprise given its current lofty level. At the close of business last Friday, the company had a market cap of $101.806 billion. In a world where the top companies have valuations of over $1 trillion, the number may not be all that eye-popping. Meanwhile, the combined valuations of Ford Motor Company (F) and General Motors Company (GM) was at $84.705 billion at their respective share prices at the end of last week. Considering that Tesla (TSLA) has a higher valuation than a combination of the two companies that are institutions in the automobile manufacturing business, Mr. Musk has left his detractors with more than a little egg on their faces.
TSLA shares were trading at $545.25 per share on Monday morning, down $19.57 (-3.46%). Year-to-date, TSLA has gained 30.34%, versus a 0.57% rise in the benchmark S&P 500 index during the same period.
Andy spent nearly 35 years on Wall Street and is a sought-after commodity and futures trader, an options expert and analyst. In addition to working with ETFDailyNews, he is a top ranked author on Seeking Alpha. Learn more about Andys background, along with links to his most recent articles. More...
Go here to see the original:
TSLA: Shares of Tesla Leave GM and Ford In The Dust - StockNews.com
- Elon Musk is an alien who tries to escape from earth, bizarre theory goes viral on internet - IBTimes India - April 13th, 2021
- Epic NASAs Ingenuity Helicopter Poised to Forever Change the Way We Explore Other Planets - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - April 11th, 2021
- Did it Come From Outer Space? Debris washes ashore in Lincoln County - St. Helens Chronicle - April 11th, 2021
- To the moon: Greetings and a message from young Iroquois earthlings - GoErie.com - April 11th, 2021
- Director Neil Burger's 'Voyagers' launches a colony ship to the stars - Space.com - April 11th, 2021
- Meet the new director of ASU's Institute for Humanities Research - ASU Now - April 11th, 2021
- Boeing v SpaceX: the rivalry shaping the future of space exploration - The National - April 11th, 2021
- Moon Exploration: Why China and Russia are Teaming Up for a Lunar Base - Science Times - April 11th, 2021
- The race for space colonisation and limitless wealth is already here - TRT World - March 31st, 2021
- "The Expanse" offers a realistic depiction of space colonization - Axios - March 31st, 2021
- We Shouldn't Invoke Colonialist Language To Justify Missions To the Cosmos - The Wire Science - March 31st, 2021
- What happened to water on Mars? - Brantford Expositor - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk says the SpaceX Starship will get to Mars 'well before' 2030 - Daily Express - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk shows off SpaceX's 1st Starship Super Heavy booster - Space.com - March 21st, 2021
- The Green Space | Elon Musk and Ecomasculinity - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 21st, 2021
- Where did the waters of Mars go? Underground. Maybe Martian life did, too. - SYFY WIRE - March 21st, 2021
- NASA Perseverance Rover Officially Shares the Sounds of Driving on Mars - Science Times - March 21st, 2021
- NASA: Unknown bacteria found on the ISS - and it could help with the move to Mars - Daily Express - March 21st, 2021
- Inside The First-Ever Luxury Space Hotel Thats Set to Open in 2027 - The Manual - March 21st, 2021
- 'In space, you know the physics of how you're going to die': Kate Greene - E&T Magazine - March 21st, 2021
- Humans on Mars by 2050? We Might Have Liftoff - Architecture and Design - March 21st, 2021
- The Expanse Team Unpacks Its Abuse Storylines in Season 5 - Observer - March 21st, 2021
- If Elon Musk makes it to Mars, then what? These are the hurdles for humans who wish to live on the Red Planet - MarketWatch - March 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is the Ultimate Villain in the Korean Sci-Fi Film Space Sweepers - TheStranger.com - March 16th, 2021
- Hopes and Dreams of Mars - Splice Today - March 5th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is Creating a City in Texas. It Will Be Called Starbase and It Will Be Ruled by 'The Doge' - Entrepreneur - March 5th, 2021
- Opinion: The Perseverance rover landing on Mars is a giant leap toward human colonization of space - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 3rd, 2021
- NASA Mars mission: Perseverance to begin search for life on Red Planet - Daily Express - March 3rd, 2021
- Why are humans so obsessed with Mars? - Livemint - March 3rd, 2021
- Perseverance - The Mars Rover - Fiorella Beausang-Hunter - Latymer Upper School - This is Local London - March 3rd, 2021
- The Avid Reader: A trip into the universe - Monadnock Ledger Transcript - March 3rd, 2021
- The Expanse season five kicks off slowly - The Prospector - March 3rd, 2021
- Mission to Mars: New rover to aid in human colonization (Part 1) - Yahoo News - February 22nd, 2021
- Colonize and live on Mars thanks to cyanobacteria? - Innovation Origins - February 22nd, 2021
- Why the red planet captures our imagination in movies and books - WTOP - February 22nd, 2021
- Think tank: City life on Mars? Creating human centred communities in space and beyond - SmartCitiesWorld - February 22nd, 2021
- New app brings Mars exploration closer to life on Earth - The First News - February 22nd, 2021
- A six-wheeled, Mini-sized rover is currently parked on Mars - Top Gear - February 22nd, 2021
- Greta Thunberg's ironic video of the colonization of Mars within hours of the arrival of NASA's Perseverance rover - Explica - February 22nd, 2021
- Elon Musk faces rejection by French villagers as they deny permission to install antennas - Republic TV - February 22nd, 2021
- NASA lands Perseverance rover: Why going to Mars ought to matter to you - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - February 22nd, 2021
- The UAE Probe 'Hope' Has Successfully Reached Mars - ExtremeTech - February 10th, 2021
- Elon Musk's Mars plan rocked as SpaceX CEO fears humans will 'self-extinguish' before 2050 - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Hilltown internet coverage is expanding, but affordability is still a concern - The Altamont Enterprise - February 10th, 2021
- Cybernauts Called to PLANETXXI to Save Planet Earth - Send2Press Newswire - February 10th, 2021
- Meet the team behind the brains: LoyolaMARS students talk all things aerospace - Los Angeles Loyolan - February 6th, 2021
- Someone Tell Elon Musk That Bandanas Aren't Face Masks - Highsnobiety - February 6th, 2021
- Is Our Whole World Just a Simulation? Enter A Glitch in the Matrix - Vanity Fair - February 6th, 2021
- Andre Drummond backs Elon Musk, campaigning Dogecoin to pump to the moon - Cavaliers Nation - February 6th, 2021
- If You Loved Greedfall, Try These 3 Games Like It - KeenGamer News - February 6th, 2021
- Robinhood Screwed Its Users But Is More Popular Than Ever - VICE - February 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk reveals ambitious plans to get humans to Mars seven years ahead of NASA - Republic World - February 2nd, 2021
- Is there life on Mars? Not if we destroy it with poor space hygiene - The Guardian - February 2nd, 2021
- How Elon Musk and a Mission to Mars Might Boost Internet Speeds in Rural Kansas - kansaspublicradio.org - February 2nd, 2021
- Elon Musk Thinks Memes are 'Complex' Form of Communication. He Even Has a 'Dealer' for Regular Supply - News18 - February 2nd, 2021
- Josh app expands its musical library with 1.3 lakh songs from Saregama in 25 different languages - Business Insider India - February 2nd, 2021
- Experts warn of brewing space mining war among US, China and Russia - MINING.COM - MINING.com - February 2nd, 2021
- 10 Old Sci-Fi Movies That Take Place In The Present Time Period - Screen Rant - February 2nd, 2021
- SpaceX Is Launching Its Giant Starship SN9 Prototype, The Next Step To Visiting Mars - Observer - January 27th, 2021
- Axiom names first private crew paying $55 million for a trip to the ISS - The Verge - January 27th, 2021
- This Is Why You Must Never Try And Colonize A Super-Earth Planet - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- Redout: Space Assault brings the nostalgic joys of Starfox to Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Switch and PC - TheXboxHub - January 27th, 2021
- Global foreign investment falls by 42% | Govit-19 - haveeruonline - January 27th, 2021
- Big Ben-sized space rock among FIVE headed this way, as scientist proposes humans COLONIZE asteroid belt itself - RT - January 27th, 2021
- Top Executives Like Elon Musk And Steve Jobs Are 64% More Likely To Set This Type Of Goal - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- The Expanse Drummer Actor On The Show's Respectful Polyamory Representation - Screen Rant - January 27th, 2021
- Elon Musk Will Fund Mars Colonization By Selling His Possessions - WebProNews - January 17th, 2021
- ISS astronauts ate space-grown radishes for the first time - The Burn-In - January 5th, 2021
- Learning what it takes to grow a space garden - MSUToday - December 30th, 2020
- Elon Musk says SpaceX will attempt to recover Super Heavy rocket by catching it with launch tower - TechCrunch - December 30th, 2020
- Starlink is Better Than Nothing for rural broadband - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 30th, 2020
- A TV series out of this world - WORLD - WORLD News Group - December 30th, 2020
- How Joe Biden risks the biggest giveaway ever to China in space | TheHill - The Hill - December 30th, 2020
- 'Nostradamus of the Balkans' Baba Vanga's 2021 Predictions: Cancer Cures, Dragons and More - Newsweek - December 30th, 2020
- Black Friday board game deals: save big on Catan, Gloomhaven, Pandemic and Ticket to Ride - TechRadar - November 29th, 2020
- This AI-enabled Mars exploration rover is as adorable as WALL-E! - Yanko Design - November 26th, 2020
- How long will it take to reach Mars? - SwordsToday.ie - November 26th, 2020
- Mars mission: Elon Musk says first settlers on Red Planet will live in glass domes - EconoTimes - November 26th, 2020
- Japan Startup Aims to Colonize the Moon - AkihabaraNews - November 26th, 2020
- Elon Musks Plans for Mars Are a Huge Waste of Money and Resources - Energy & Capital - November 26th, 2020