As the curtain falls on 2020, CCJeditors compiled a look back at some of the top trucking headlines from the year. Think we missed something? Drop a comment below oremail us.
Business in 2020.scattered, smothered, covered, diced and topped. For those unfamiliar with the terms those are but a few of the options available for hash brown orders at Waffle House. As apt as they are for a plate of shredded and griddle-fried potatoes, theyre just as apt to describe the chaos that descended on the freight-hauling business in 2020.
This photo from a Quality Transport driver shows a reported 200-truck line at a Costco distribution center part of the initial supply chain logjam as retailers like Costco, grocery store chains and retailers like Walmart and Target hustled to restock in the wave of panic buying and pantry stuffing in March and April.
AsCCJ reported in the first weeks of the pandemic, an initial surge of grocery and retail restocking (post panic buying and pantry stuffing) was in some ways masking a sudden and dramatic slowdown in freight movement, and fleets large and small felt the sharp bite of that economic slowdown. A few large publicly traded fleets, for example, reported voluntary temporary pay cuts for high-level executives. Many other carriers reported feeling the pinch, with abysmal rates and loads hard to find.
More than 100,000 trucking companies turned to federal assistance, according to data compiled byCCJ, either for a few thousand or a few million to help keep their operations afloat.
Those bleaker freight days led to a public spat over the rates brokers were offering at the time a spat that eventually spilled into the offices of the U.S. DOT, with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration accepting comments on rule changes around broker transparency.
Those rock-bottom rates were mostly short-lived, though, with a dizzied economy rebounding in large part on the back of a wave of e-commerce and retail, with consumer habits shifting dramatically. Food consumption tilted away from restaurants and toward grocery stores. Housing and home improvement boomed, creating big demand for materials at places like Home Depot and Lowes. Demand for bikes, kayaks and exercise equipment soared. Lastly, manufacturing and other industrial areas of the economy were slow to come back. All of these changes upended the supply chain, causing many shippers and carriers to throw existing contracts out the window and opt for shorter-term deals.
Also, a lot of freight was diverted to the spot market, where rates saw a dramatic reversal in just the span of six months. There are a few lingering issues that could cause freight to slow or shift again heading into the new year.
DOT enacted a few key changes to drivers 14-hour on-duty clocks and added leniency to the use of the 30-minute break.
Hours of service reforms finalized and enacted.When midnight hit on Sept. 29, fleets and drivers had new tools at their disposal for managing their daily and weekly on-duty hours the first changes to hours of service since 2013 and the first significant overhaul since 2004. Use of the new flexibility options was somewhat metered in the first months as there seemed to be initial confusion among fleets and drivers as to how to utilize the new regs initially. Likewise, ELD makers had to work in the initial weeks to roll out software updates and patches to iron out bugs and other issues. Read resources on the hours of service changes at this link.
In January, due to ongoing technical issues, many fleets and drivers had to wrestle with the Clearinghouse platform to register and use the system. Since then, and with updates by FMCSA to the platform, its operated smoothly.
Clearinghouse rule takes effect, sidelining nearly 50,000 drivers in its first year. Starting Jan. 6 this year, fleets were required to not only report instances of drug and alcohol violations to the U.S. DOTs new Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse, but also were required to ping the Clearinghouse for every new driver hire and at least once for all of their current drivers. Through November, FMCSA reported that more than 50,000 drivers had hit the Clearinghouses rolls for violations of either drug or alcohol regs. Marijuana violations so far have made up more than half of those, with cocaine, amphetamines and opioids together accounting for another large block of violations.
When the Clearinghouse rule went live, the system faced repeated outages and downtime as a swell of new users logged on. FMCSA has since beefed up the system and it has reportedly worked well since.
Nikola Founder and Executive Chairman Trevor Milton resigned amid a firestorm of criticism sparked by a skeptical stock short-seller and subsequent inquiry from the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Truck makers turn headline makers. One owns a nearly 120 year old trucking legacy. The other is a six-year-old upstart that has yet to commercially produce its first truck. Despite their positions on opposite ends of the trucking timeline, Navistar and Nikola each underwent signifiant boardroom changes this year. Navistar in November finally OKd the its a matter of when, not if scenario of a long-speculated Volkswagen buy-out. Traton Volkswagens commercial truck unit previously held 16.7% of Navistar, which it acquired via a procurement joint venture and strategic technology and supply collaboration in 2016, and bought the rest for $3.7 billion in November.
The transaction will create the global automotive and trucking behemoth that Volkswagen has longed for, pitting the company firmly against the likes of Volvo and Daimler.
Nikola this year has been dragged through the highest of highs and lowest of lows, all in the span of just a few months. The Phoenix-area based hydrogen-electric upstart was briefly the darling of the NASDAQ stock exchange when the company went public in June.
Just weeks later, the stock cratered and Nikola Founder and Executive Chairman Trevor Milton resigned amid a firestorm of criticism sparked by a skeptical stock short-seller and subsequent inquiry from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). By November, several employees and board members had received subpoenas from both the SEC and Department of Justice.
This photo from Waymo shows two of the Peterbilt-based autonomous trucks that Waymo used for testing in Atlanta.
Driverless trucks come roaring back. After taking a backseat to electrification for most of 2019, autonomous truck technology reared its head again in 2020.
Navistar and Traton each picked up minority stakes in autonomous truck retrofitter TuSimple, which operates a fleet of 40 trucks in the U.S. Navistar bought into the company after two years of an ongoing technical relationship through TuSimples self-driving technology. Traton and Tusimple launched a developmental program to operate the first Level 4 autonomous hub-to-hub route in Sweden using Tratons Scania trucks.
Jim Mullen, the former Acting Administrator of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, joined TuSimple earlier this year to serve as its Chief Legal and Risk Officer.
Daimler Trucks and Buses, parent company of Daimler Trucks North America, took another step toward its goal of delivering commercially viable self-driving trucks in 2019 by acquiring a majority stake in Torc Robotics, a Blacksburg, Va.-based autonomous driving solutions provider and developer of the Asimov self-driving software. This year, the company doubled down in partnership with Google sister company Waymo.
Under the terms of the partnership, Waymo will integrate its driving technology with Freightliners Cascadia to enable autonomous driving. Freightliner who with the 2020 Cascadia became first trucking OEM with a Level 2 autonomous driving-enabled truck expects its autonomous Cascadia, equipped with the Waymo Driver platform, to be available to customers in the U.S. in the coming years. Waymos technology has logged more than 20 million miles on public roads in 25 U.S. cities, and 15 billion miles in simulation.
Autonomous trucking tech firm Locomation in late-Fall completed an on-road pilot program that showcased autonomous trucking technology for the SmartBelt Coalition, a collaboration of transportation agencies in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Over the course of one week, two Locomation trucks performed three separate interstate routes under close observation from the involved organizations. One route started at the Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and delivered food donations to families in need in Toledo, Ohio.
Locomations Autonomous Relay Convoy (ARC) platform allows one driver to pilot a lead truck equipped with technology augmentation while a follower truck operates in tandem through Locomations fully autonomous system.
Putting AI in the cab. Throughout the year, a number video telematics platforms added new sensors that use artificial intelligence (AI) to detect and alert drivers to distraction, fatigue and other unwanted driving behaviors.
Lytx added a new configuration option that lets fleets disable or limit in-cab video recording for driver privacy yet benefit from greater risk detection for cell phone use, eating and drinking, smoking, no seatbelt, speeding, and inattentiveness.
Omnitracs acquired SmartDrive in September to drive the technology convergence of telematics and video-based driver safety systems.
Samsara created newdriver safetyoptions for commercial and private fleets that use its mobile platform and Samsara AI Dash Cams.The options include real-time detection and alerting for tailgating and distracted driving.
Video telematics provider SmartDrive has developed new SmartSense intelligent driver-assist sensors to detect unsafe speeds in bad weather conditions and sitting duck events.
New driver safety tools were introduced by weigh station bypass providers PrePass and Drivewyze. Both started programs that give carriers more than a lower pull-in rate for inspections, as their drivers can get a heads-up warning through apps and telematics systems for upcoming safety risks along their routes.
Both companies have extensive relationships with government agencies to collect road and traffic data to supply location-based safety information.
In September, ELD and fleet mobility provider Omnitracs acquiredSmartDrive, maker of in-cab driver- and road-facing camera systems. The companies plan to drive technologyconvergence of telematics and video-based driver safety.
The timing happened to be right for both of us to move in this direction, said Ray Greer, chief executive of Omnitracs.
In September at McLeod Softwares virtual user conference, load board and freight-matching platform Truckstop.com discussed a new TMS integration for brokers that use McLeods PowerBroker to post their Book It Now loads.
Real-time freight matching. Another major acquisition was made by Trimble to expand its Transportation division beyond technology used by asset and non-asset transportation providers. In January, Trimble acquired Kuebix, a cloud-based TMS for shippers.
Collectively, the commercial and private fleets that use Trimble products manage more than 1.3 million commercial assets in North America. Trimble said it is now able to offer those customers access to freight matching opportunities from more than 20,000 shippers and freight intermediaries that use the Kuebix platform.
Freight-matching also benefitted from new breakthroughs in speed and transparency of information. Companies that offer load boards and freight-matching platforms introduced new features that give freight brokersand carriers instant visibility of market rates, as well as ratings and reviews to develop instant trust.
Load boards, rating engines, transportation management software (TMS) systems and other databases quickly integrated these and other capabilities to speed freight transactions.
When freight brokers post loads to the DAT network, for instance, they have the option to designate them as Book Now. When carriers see this designation, they can lock in the rate and terms of the load using DATs app or website.
This allows the carrier to make the first handshake with a broker in a digital way, said Ken Adamo, chief of analytics for DAT.
In September at McLeod Softwares virtual user conference, load board and freight-matching platform Truckstop.com discussed a new TMS integration for brokers that use McLeods PowerBroker to post their Book It Now loads.
The integration allows brokers using PowerBroker to tap into capacity from thousands of carriers that login daily to Truckstop.com, said Brian Sowul, senior product manager for Truckstop.com.
Jason Cannon, Aaron Huff and James Jaillet contributed to this report.
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021
- Extreme weather postpones season opening TMS Dirt Track event - Speedway Digest - February 22nd, 2021
- Research Moz Releases New Report on the TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021-2030 NY Market Reports - NY Market Reports - February 22nd, 2021
- Real-time Truckload Rates from Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW) Available to More than 25,000 Shippers in Kuebix - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Jujutsu Kaisen Chat With Ray Chase, Voice of Sukuna - The Mary Sue - February 22nd, 2021
- Emerging Neuromodulation Technologies Enabling Growth Opportunities in Mental Health Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Analysis Of Trends, Demand And Competition 2021-2026 | Neuronetics, Yiruide, Brainsway, Neurosoft,... - February 22nd, 2021
- Small Fleets Drive EKA Cloud-Based TMS Growth - Heavy Duty Trucking - February 12th, 2021
- DAT and Axele Announce Partnership to Expand Load Board and TMS Integration - SupplyChainBrain - February 12th, 2021
- Hodge enjoys showing TMS students how history connects to their lives - The Thomasville Times - February 12th, 2021
- Denton County cancels Thursdays vaccination clinic at Texas Motor Speedway due to weather - The Dallas Morning News - February 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 impact on High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Treatment Market Key Vendors, Regional Analysis and Competitive Landscape Forecast by... - February 12th, 2021
- Birds of Prey Director Cathy Yan on Her Debut Film Dead Pigs - The Mary Sue - February 12th, 2021
- Real-time pricing vs. spot pricing: Whats the difference? - FreightWaves - February 12th, 2021
- Significant' High Court backing for adjudication in construction - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 12th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Analysis, Industry Size, Share Leaders, Current Status by Major vendors and Trends by Forecast to... - February 12th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America In Coral Springs Offers Breakthrough Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety, and Other Disorders - TAPinto.net - February 6th, 2021
- Pandemic spurs scientists to look closer at an experimental treatment for severe depression - CTV News - February 6th, 2021
- 40% of TMS teachers are vaccinated - Saipan Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Axele hits outstanding milestone of 10000 loads since introduction less than 90 says ago - American Journal of Transportation - February 6th, 2021
- Best Comprehensive Report on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021-2027| Cisco, Everbridge, HPE (Aruba), Cloud4Wi, Signify (Philips), CARTO ... - February 6th, 2021
- New Dawn TMS Psychiatry with Their FDA Approved TMS Therapy Offers Holistic Psychiatric Care - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 6th, 2021
- The New World of Logistics - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- MEGALOBOX 2: NOMAD to Premiere in April 2021 on TOKYO MX & BS11 - Business Wire - February 6th, 2021
- Across Systems' Gerd Janiszewski on Selling the TMS Provider to Volaris Group - Slator - January 29th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management System Market Report 2021: Opportunities in the Increasing Adoption of Cloud-Based Technology and Industry 4.0 -... - January 29th, 2021
- Axele Hits Outstanding Milestone of 10000 Loads Since Introduction Less Than 90 Days Ago - CSCMP's Supply Chain Quarterly - January 29th, 2021
- He's Been Fighting To Improve Mental Health Service In Coral Springs And Across The Nation - TAPinto.net - January 29th, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Oracle,... - January 29th, 2021
- Transfix Launches TrueView TMS, Offering Shippers Flexible, Consistent Capacity And Reducing Time To Tender By Up To 92% - PR Web - January 19th, 2021
- Agnew's dressing gown and Bumble's dog: it's TMS and Sky Cricket, but not as we know it - Telegraph.co.uk - January 19th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2021
- Part two: FX and hedging for SMEs - between a rock and a hard place - Finextra - January 19th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Tire Mold Market 2021 financial overview of the Players such as Saehwa IMC, SeYoung TMS, King Machine, HERBERT Maschinen, Shinko Mold Industrial - KSU... - January 19th, 2021
- EnviroChill Saves Bakery from Food Disaster with New Technology - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Lady Bulldogs Undefeated in Region Play - All On Georgia - January 19th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: There Is Relief For Depression - TAPinto.net - January 17th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Business Wire - January 17th, 2021
- Dry Well Calibrators Market | Industry Insight 2021-2026 Covered players: Fluke, Wika Instrumentation, TMS, Electronic Development Laboratories, OMEGA... - January 17th, 2021
- Treating Major Depressive Disorder: A Lesson through the Ages - News & Features - January 5th, 2021
- Digital Piano Market 2021 to 2026 Insights & Forecast with COVID-19 Impact | Yamaha , Long Beach Music , Hamzer , Casio , TMS , and more |... - January 5th, 2021
- Technology Enhancements to the QuantaVerse Financial Crime Platform Extend its Lead in AML Innovation - PR Web - January 5th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (Tms) Market with Future Prospects, Growth, Industry Expansion Strategies, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To... - January 5th, 2021
- Waste Collection (Waste and Recycling) Software Market Competitive landscape, Growth Strategies for Business Development, Analysis and Forecast,... - January 5th, 2021
- EDAP Announces End of the Year Focal One Sales - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - GlobeNewswire - November 17th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - November 17th, 2020
- Hudson Capital and FreightHub Merge - Citybizlist - November 17th, 2020
- TMS students recognized as Blazers of the Quarter - The Torrington Telegram - November 15th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Third Quarter Financial Results With Continued Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic, Announces Spravato Pilot... - November 15th, 2020
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Descartes' Cloud-based Solution - DC Velocity - November 15th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results on November 18, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Tenino Middle School Honored as AVID 'Site of Distinction' for Showing Marked Improvement in Past Three Years - Centralia Chronicle - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Cloud-based Transportation Management and Load Tracking Visibility Solution from Descartes - IT News... - November 15th, 2020
- Five Keys to Overcoming the Barriers that Limit Dedicated Fleet Productivity - Supply Chain Management Review - November 15th, 2020
- Odyssey Logistics & Technology TMS Study Reveals Insights Amid the Pandemic on Logistics Technology and Market Conditions - PR Web - August 19th, 2020
- BulkLoads TMS product for bulk commodities will be integrated into Barchart - FreightWaves - August 19th, 2020
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor new car leasing & subscription Program through TMS - United News of India - August 19th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to... - August 19th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 25th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 25th, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Research Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Live TMS Treatment from NeuroSpa TMS - WFLA - July 15th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 24th, 2020