By Renee Duff, AccuWeather meteorologist August 20, 2017, 3:23:32 PM EDT
A tropical disturbance will sweep across Florida and the Bahamas with enhanced downpours and rough surf into the middle of the week.
The feature, dubbed 92L, is a disorganized cluster of showers and thunderstorms located north of Puerto Rico. A continued track to the northwest is expected over the next few days.
The chance of 92L becoming the next tropical depression or storm of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season remains low during the first part of this week.
Ninety-two L is expected to remain in a strongly sheared environment for the next several days, AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski said. So, the potential for further development looks low at this time.
Wind shear, or the change in wind speed and direction with altitude, can prevent disorganized features from developing and shred apart mature tropical systems, as was the case with Harvey.
Regardless of development, this system will bring gusty winds and downpours into the Turks and Caicos Islands, as well as the southern Bahamas on Monday, Kottlowski said.
This image shows 92L just north of Puerto Rico and Hispaniola on Sunday, Aug. 20, 2017. (NOAA/satellite)
Hispaniola and Cuba are also likely to experience and uptick in shower and thunderstorm activity as 92L sweeps by to the north.
Downpours will arrive over the rest of the Bahamas on Tuesday, then into southern Florida Tuesday night and Wednesday, Kottlowski said.
A separate tropical feature in front of 92L began to spread showers and thunderstorms across the Florida Peninsula on Sunday. This feature has lost any opportunity to develop into a depression or storm.
Enhanced surf and rip currents will progress northwestward with the storm. Boaters and beachgoers should exercise caution and heed all advisories.
Rainfall associated with 92L could be heavy enough to trigger flash and urban flooding.
RELATED: AccuWeather hurricane center Florida interactive radar How do hurricanes get their names? Harvey to threaten Central America with flooding, rough surf
A push of dry and cooler air scheduled to move across the Southeast late in the week could interact with 92L and further enhance torrential rainfall across the Sunshine State.
Motorists and airline travelers around Florida should expect an increase in delays toward the middle and latter half of the week.
"It is possible that 92L lingers near Florida and is then steered back out over the Atlantic late in the week or next weekend," according to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski. "At that point, some development could occur."
Should 92L beat the odds and strengthen to a tropical depression or storm, downpours, gusty winds and rough surf would be enhanced even more.
Another area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms located about 1,000 miles east of the Leeward Islands will likely be steered to the north, well away from any land mass.
If this circulation can manage to hang together during the next few days, it might have some opportunity to become more organized during this week and become a tropical depression, Kottlowski said.
The next few weeks are historically the most active in the Atlantic Basin with the peak of hurricane season not until Sept. 10.
Report a Typo
- In the Bahamas, a hard-hit island beckons again - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 23rd, 2019
- Marcus Weathers scores 12 to lift Duquesne over Air Force in Bahamas - TribLIVE - November 23rd, 2019
- Evansville basketball treating Bahamas getaway as a 'business trip' to continue hot start - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Oregon's rebounding issues could be put to the test in Bahamas - 247Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Two local men are home from a life-changing trip to The Bahamas - 13abc Action News - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty routs Morgan State to open stay in the Bahamas - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 23rd, 2019
- Grand Bahama back on stream: The Bahamas is open for business - Travelweek - November 23rd, 2019
- Heading into the Bahamas, Michigan is where it wants to be - UM Hoops - November 23rd, 2019
- Family reunion: Brothers Jawaun and Tristen Newton go head-to-head in the Bahamas - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Hit And Run: $1.35 Million Up For Grabs In partypoker MILLIONS Bahamas Main Event; The Big Blind Poker-Themed Game Show To Debut On PokerGo On... - November 23rd, 2019
- BTC supports more than 1500 Students from Grand Bahama and Abaco - EyeWitness News - November 23rd, 2019
- Boris Johnson's Tories handed 1million by billionaire tycoon based in Bahamas - Mirror Online - November 23rd, 2019
- The Bahamas | History, Geography, & Points of Interest ... - November 21st, 2019
- THE 15 BEST Things to Do in Bahamas - 2019 (with Photos ... - November 21st, 2019
- ActiveVideo Rolls Its Cloud-based Service to Cable Bahamas - Multichannel News - November 21st, 2019
- Royal Caribbean Is Opening the First Overwater Cabanas in the Bahamas - Travel+Leisure - November 21st, 2019
- Men's basketball looks to gain tournament experience in Bahamas - GW Hatchet - November 21st, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian Responsible for $3.4 Billion in Losses on Bahamas, Report Says - The Weather Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Why Cruise Lines Are Expanding Ties to the Bahamas and Caribbean - TravelPulse - November 21st, 2019
- Elle Macpherson, 55, Stuns In A Barely-There Bikini In The Bahamas - The Inquisitr - November 21st, 2019
- Bahamas: Who/What/Where (3W) Shelter Sector - Grand Bahama (As of 14 November 2019) - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - November 21st, 2019
- Carnival Corporation Signs Agreement With the Bahamas to Fund and Support Restoration of Rand Memorial Hospital Following Hurricane Dorian -... - November 21st, 2019
- Adrian Mateos, Christopher Brammer, and Daniel Dvoress Win Big in The Bahamas - PokerNews.com - November 21st, 2019
- The Islands Of The Bahamas State Of The Business Tourism Update - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2019
- The Bahamas are doing just fine and await your arrival - The News Star - October 27th, 2019
- 11-year-old boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reach over 1200 - Greenwich Time - October 27th, 2019
- Tourism In The Bahamas Rebounds After Hurricane Dorian - Cruise Industry News - October 27th, 2019
- Local boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reaches over 1,200 - WPBF West Palm Beach - October 27th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes To Storm Victims In The Bahamas And Houston - SGB Media - October 27th, 2019
- The Timberwolves are Karl-Anthony Towns' team now - Star Tribune - October 27th, 2019
- Grand Bahama All-Inclusive to Reopen in November - Caribbean Journal - October 24th, 2019
- This Species Of Shark Was Spotted For The First Time In The Tongue Of The Ocean Near The Bahamas - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Trinidad and Tobago ships relief items to the Bahamas - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 24th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes to Recent Storm Victims in the Bahamas and Houston - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Temple Terrace Donates Fire Truck To Ravaged Station In Bahamas - Patch.com - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Womens Basketball to play exhibition to Benefit Bahamas Hurricane Relief - On The Banks - October 24th, 2019
- 'Bahamas was not a joke': KAT and his unified Wolves open with a stirring win - The Athletic - October 24th, 2019
- New gas station -- result of Bahamas Bowl sponsorship -- coming to Elk Grove - Chicago Daily Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Mercer alumna helps the Bahamas with the United Nations Humanitarian Response Depot - The Cluster - October 24th, 2019
- SITE Classic brings 300 Incentive Travel professionals to the Bahamas - Travel Daily News International - October 24th, 2019
- Govt. signs Heads of Agreement for new medical university in Grand Bahama - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- FATF keeps Panama and Bahamas on the grey list and adds Iceland - International Investment - October 24th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Power working on 'innovative' renewable energy solutions - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean: Grandeur of the Seas to leave Baltimore - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 24th, 2019
- 'Please come and visit:' Unscathed Bahamas islands need visitors to aid hurricane recovery - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- The Salvation army's hurricane response in the Bahamas continues to grow - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 5th, 2019
- A Florida bar has removed about $14,000 stapled to its walls to provide hurricane relief in Bahamas - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs from the Bahamas are up for adoption at the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando - Orlando Weekly - October 5th, 2019
- WHO Director-General visits devastated sites in the Bahamas to assess health impacts of Hurricane Dorian - World Health Organization - October 5th, 2019
- Pets rescued from destruction in Bahamas arrive in Maine, looking for forever home - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - October 5th, 2019
- 2019 Intensive: Bahamas - Highlights - International Women's Forum News - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs, 1 cat rescued from Bahamas ready for adoption at H.A.L.O. shelter in Sebastian - TCPalm - October 5th, 2019
- By the numbers: Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas - News-Press - October 5th, 2019
- Just how far away are the Bahamas? - The Triton - October 5th, 2019
- Big Charger from the Bahamas learning to play football - Chattanooga Times Free Press - August 25th, 2017
- The Only Private Island in the Bahamas Where You Can Land Your Private Jet - Robb Report - August 25th, 2017
- What we learned from Chicago State's trip to the Bahamas - Mid-Major Madness - August 25th, 2017
- Threat to South Carolina from storm near the Bahamas eases - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- University of the Bahamas attracts new Royal Donors, a Sir and a Lady - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- A rain storm lurking off the Bahamas could strengthen and impact South Carolina - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- Quality Beach Soccer Squad Wins League And Cup Competitions In The Bahamas Super League - Bahamas Tribune - August 25th, 2017
- LOOK: Klay Thompson clearly enjoying his time in the Bahamas - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Zoo Miami may pair with zoos in Bahamas, Colombia and Jamaica - Miami Today - August 25th, 2017
- Nema Director Urges Caution As Weather System Moves Towards Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- Puerto Rico Blows Out Bahamas By 64 Points - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- At Port of Palm Beach, new Bahamas Paradise owners installing upgrades, second ship - Sun Sentinel - August 20th, 2017
- Drug Mules jailed in Bahamas, claims lured to drug trafficking by desperate times - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 20th, 2017
- Batfish: Bahamas' masters of camouflage - Baltimore Post-Examiner - August 20th, 2017
- Bahamas Bounces Back With Win Over Suriname - Bahamas Tribune - August 18th, 2017
- News Report cites Bahamas refugee laws lacking, UNHCR to help - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Bad Loans Crippling Bank of the Bahamas - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- Bahamas Police get to BPL cases, $2M missing as more to be fired - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Bahamas Loses Opener In U18 Centrobasket - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- DJ, Paulina unwind with Bahamas vacay ... obviously - Golf Channel - August 16th, 2017
- Editorial: Hidden Faces Of Racism In The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Tourism signs MOU with Airbnb - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas FNM Ministers & MPs verify with Public Treasury - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Turnquest: We Can Turn Bank Of The Bahamas Around - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Police denies suspect hide out in TCI - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017