Two of three budding tropical systems in the Atlantic will approach the Caribbean, Central America and the United States in the coming days.
Three batches of thunderstorms are moving westward across the tropical Atlantic within a swath of moisture at midweek.
From west to east, the three systems have been dubbed 91L, 92L and 93L.
This image shows the tropical Atlantic Ocean on Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017. The two swirls in the clouds on the lower right represent 91L and 92L. Ninety-three L has not yet entered the image to the right. (NOAA/satellite)
Such a designation is assigned between 90 and 99, when there is potential for the formation of a tropical depression or storm within several days. The "L" represents potential formation for the Atlantic Ocean.
91L to enter Caribbean Sea this weekend
"Nintey-one L may become a tropical depression or storm as it moves through the Lesser Antilles on Friday and the Caribbean Sea on Saturday," according to AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski.
This feature is likely to bring an uptick in showers and thunderstorms in the Windward and southern Leeward Islands to end the week.
How much strengthening occurs will determine the intensity of rainfall, winds and seas. This system already has a weak circulation.
Inhibitive strong winds aloft are projected to diminish in the path of 91L, which may allow the feature to become organized and strengthen.
The most likely path of 91L is westward across the Caribbean this weekend, which could bring the system near Central America early next week.
92L may pass north of the Caribbean Sea next week
Steering winds are likely to guide the second area of disturbed weather farther north than 91L.
"We project 92L to pass over or just north of the Leeward Islands this weekend," Kottlowski said.
Some dry air has become drawn into 92 L, which could hinder its development for a time.
Like 91L, this feature also has a weak circulation.
"If 92L can overcome the dry air, it has a chance at becoming a depression or tropical storm this weekend," Kottlowski said.
RELATED: AccuWeather Hurricane Center Are you ready for the peak of the Atlantic hurricane season? Solar eclipse viewing conditions: Clouds could spoil views in coastal Northwest, Southeast
A track just north of the islands of the northern Caribbean, especially the mountainous islands of Puerto Rico, Hispaniola and Cuba, would favor development and strengthening, as opposed to a track right over the islands.
At this time, 92L represents the greatest potential for approaching the U.S. or its coastal waters next week.
Following a wave of non-related thunderstorms this weekend, an uptick in thunderstorms from 92L could reach the northwestern Bahamas and South Florida by Tuesday.
93L may remain at sea
The system farthest to the east, 93L, will take a west-northwest past the next few days.
"However, a turn toward the northwest is likely this weekend," Kottlowski said.
"Ninety-three L may never be a threat to land in the western part of the Atlantic basin," Kottlowski said.
This system, which had a circulation immediately after departing the coast of Africa may become a tropical system this weekend and could strengthen significantly if it avoids dry air and strong westerly winds aloft next week.
Real Atlantic hurricane season is just beginning
Additional batches of thunderstorms will continue to roll westward from Africa in the coming weeks.
The next six to eight weeks represent the heart of the hurricane season.
As the peak of the hurricane season approaches, on Sept. 10, the likelihood of tropical storm and hurricane formation will increase due to warm water, shrinking dry air and diminishing winds.
Report a Typo
Read the rest here:
- Religious keep momentum of Amazon synod alive in wider Latin American, Caribbean region - Global Sisters Report - January 20th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean: Grandfather 'reckless' in toddler death: report - Fox Business - January 20th, 2020
- Mottley warns of attempts to divide the Caribbean - Jamaica Gleaner - January 20th, 2020
- Mix up financing to better protect Caribbean, say experts - World - ReliefWeb - January 20th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: 10 Best Jack Sparrow Quotes - Screen Rant - January 20th, 2020
- St. Thomas named one of Caribbean's best fishing destinations - Virgin Islands Daily News - January 20th, 2020
- 10 unexpected foods to eat on the Caribbean island of Curacao - USA Today 10Best - January 18th, 2020
- Dominica Is the Fastest Growing Economy in Latin America and the Caribbean Region Thanks to Booming Tourism and Citizenship by Investment, UN ECLAC... - January 18th, 2020
- A busy year in the Caribbean: Elections - Global Americans - January 18th, 2020
- I spent a day on Richard Branson's private island in the Caribbean. It was as spectacular as you can imagine. - Business Insider - January 18th, 2020
- From Vision to Action: Latin American and Caribbean Cities Ready for a Paradigm Shift in Road Safety - TheCityFix - January 18th, 2020
- PHOTOS: Disney Reveals Sneak Peek at February's Pirates of the Caribbean Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction Line - wdwnt.com - January 18th, 2020
- Caribbean Map / Map of the Caribbean - Maps and ... - January 15th, 2020
- New Thoughts on the Colonization of the Caribbean - Archaeology - January 15th, 2020
- Stony coral tissue loss disease is sweeping through Caribbean reefs. Can these students find the answers? - News@Northeastern - January 15th, 2020
- Study puts the 'Carib' in 'Caribbean,' boosting credibility of Columbus' cannibal claims - University of Florida - January 15th, 2020
- The Rhythm Lounge & Grill is offering live music and Caribbean-inspired food at Marketplace Maill - Winston-Salem Journal - January 15th, 2020
- Church Shares Caribbean Culture to Build Local Connections - WGLT News - January 15th, 2020
- The face of reparations - Caribbean Life - January 15th, 2020
- Warming Climate Causes Dengue Fever Outbreak in Caribbean Leading to Almost 1400 Deaths in the Last Year - One Green Planet - January 15th, 2020
- Curtain Bluff, an All-Inclusive Caribbean Classic, Is Better Than Ever - Caribbean Journal - January 15th, 2020
- Leonardo DiCaprio saves man who fell overboard in the Caribbean - Consequence of Sound - January 15th, 2020
- Leonardo DiCaprio helps save man who fell overboard in the Caribbean - CBS News - January 15th, 2020
- Hilton Is Opening a New Caribbean Resort in St Kitts - Caribbean Journal - January 15th, 2020
- Win trip to the Caribbean by getting fit at F45 Training Tysons - Patch.com - January 15th, 2020
- Reflecting on 2019 and Caribbean finance | Business - Jamaica Gleaner - January 15th, 2020
- Latin American and Caribbean economies to grow 1.8 percent in 2020 - Global Americans - January 15th, 2020
- Can Bees Add a Fresh Buzz to the Caribbean's $56 Billion Tourism Market? - OZY - December 13th, 2019
- Revealed: how the Caribbean became a haven for Jews fleeing Nazi tyranny - The Guardian - December 13th, 2019
- Curtain Bluff, Antigua: laid-back luxury in the Caribbean - The Week UK - December 13th, 2019
- Spices of the Winter Gala celebrates Caribbean culture - The Ticker - December 13th, 2019
- When the Caribbean Islands became home to hundreds of thousands of Jews escaping persecution - Face2Face Africa - December 13th, 2019
- Bella Hadid went braless under a sheer halter top during her trip to the Caribbean - Business Insider - December 13th, 2019
- At the Metropolitan Museum of Art, a Look at the Ancient Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - December 13th, 2019
- Canada's RBC to divest Eastern Caribbean operations - Verdict - December 13th, 2019
- Pirates Of The Caribbean: The 10 Most Terrifying Moments - Screen Rant - December 13th, 2019
- 20 Best Caribbean Islands to Visit Today - The Trend Spotter - November 17th, 2019
- Internationalisation of TTIs in the Caribbean - University World News - November 17th, 2019
- Caribbean Hispanics and Baseball: How to Connect In and Outside the U.S. - Portada-online.com - November 17th, 2019
- Joanna Lumley To Uncover The Hidden Caribbean In Her Latest Adventure For ITV - Deadline - November 17th, 2019
- UN spotlights 'explosive' obesity rates, hunger in Latin America and Caribbean - UN News - November 17th, 2019
- This Indian version of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme is too infectious for words - Classic FM - November 17th, 2019
- BVI Food Fete Offers a Tantalizing Taste of the Caribbean - TravelPulse - November 17th, 2019
- Viceroy to Open Caribbean Overwater Bungalow Resort in 2021 - Caribbean Journal - November 17th, 2019
- The Best Destinations in the Caribbean - TravelersToday - November 17th, 2019
- Panorama of Food and Nutritional Security in Latin America and the Caribbean - World - ReliefWeb - November 17th, 2019
- Carnival Fascination to Sail New Caribbean Itineraries - Cruise Hive - November 17th, 2019
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Weekly Situation Update (4-11 November 2019) As of 11 November 2019 - World - ReliefWeb - November 17th, 2019
- Montauk Meets The Caribbean: Navy Beach Opens In St.Thomas And St. Maarten - Forbes - October 20th, 2019
- Study explores why Caribbean adults have higher hypertension rates - Yale News - October 20th, 2019
- The Caribbean Shows the Way to a Renewable Future - Greentech Media News - October 20th, 2019
- Two Universities Sign Historic Agreement on Slavery Reparations in the Caribbean - The Good Men Project - October 20th, 2019
- This Top Caribbean Eco-Resort Is Returning in 2020 - Caribbean Journal - October 20th, 2019
- Royal Caribbeans Adventure of the Seas requests help from Coast Guard off Jersey Shore - USA TODAY - October 20th, 2019
- Best Snorkeling and Scuba Destinations in the Caribbean - Fodor's Travel - October 20th, 2019
- Karen Gillan Being Eyed To Lead Pirates Of The Caribbean Reboot - We Got This Covered - October 20th, 2019
- 'Dancing With the Stars': James Van Der Beek's Kids Adorably Recreate His 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Routine - PopCulture.com - October 20th, 2019
- The Caribbean, India's Golden Triangle, safari in southern Africa and other holiday favourites - The Times - October 20th, 2019
- Tropical Storm Nestor: Will swirling vortex reach the Caribbean? - Express.co.uk - October 20th, 2019
- Tiny Caribbean Island is the Only Place with Cist Graves in the Americas - Ancient Origins - October 20th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean Stock Will Outperform, Analyst Says - Barron's - October 20th, 2019
- The best beach islands are in the Caribbean - Cleveland Jewish News - August 25th, 2017
- Caribbean jerk chicken and a savory side - Auburn Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Walk in the Footsteps of Alexander Hamilton on This Tiny Caribbean Island - Smithsonian - August 25th, 2017
- A Taste Of The Caribbean In Philadelphia - CBS Philly - August 20th, 2017
- African slaves were both medical guinea pigs and scientists on ... - Quartz - August 20th, 2017
- Harvey Could Rebound in the Western Caribbean; Two Other Areas Are Being Monitored For Tropical Development - Wunderground.com (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical cyclone expected Thursday from wave nearing Caribbean - Miami Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Caribbean Premier League 2017: 5 players who performed well during Week Two - Yahoo Cricket - August 20th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Post Round-Up: August 20, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey forms east of the Caribbean, forecasters say - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Hero Caribbean Premier League brings top-tier cricket to Lauderhill - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Bonnie Tyler to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' on Royal Caribbean cruise during total solar eclipse - Fox News - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean CEO: College taught me the right way to protest - CNBC - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean ramping up China efforts with new super-ship - Asia Times - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean reveals name of newest cruise ship for China and celebrates steel cutting ceremony - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- 'Muslim Origins in the Caribbean' lectures to be held at university - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Has rail a future in the Caribbean? - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean will feature Bonnie Tyler singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on Total Eclipse cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Spotted: Deluxe Beverage and Ultimate Dining Package combo - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017