KING WILLIAM COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) A six-day trial for the two men accused of murdering an 8-year-old boy during an attempted robbery in King William County is underway in Circuit Court. Its been more than two years since the crime was committed and Orlando Anderson Jr.s parents are hoping to finally get justice and accountability.
Day two of the trial started at 9 a.m. on Tuesday. 8News witnessed Alexis Mines and Orlando Anderson Sr., who are now grieving parents, walking into the King William County Courthouse wanting one thing.
Justice, Anderson told 8News outside the courthouse.
Justice for their son, Orlando affectionately known as Scrappy, who was killed in his sleep on January 21, 2019. Shortly before midnight, an intruder kicked in the familys door on Robin Lane and opened fire. A bullet struck the 8-year-old in the head. He died from his injuries at the hospital; Mines telling 8News she donated his organs.
Back in 2019, just two days after the incident, Orlandos parents sat down with 8News Reporter Talya Cunningham in a heart-wrenching interview.
Yall robbed me, sobbed Anderson. Somebody took my son from me.
Anderson and his mother, Linda Anderson, were in the house, the night of the incident and continue to relive the trauma. Anderson told 8news he was woken up to gunfire and tried to save his son.
I suffer from PTSD, so it really hasnt been good, Anderson said on Tuesday. Ive been having a lot of nightmares.
After a year of no answers, a crack in the case. Virginia State Police arrested 32-year-old Charles Coleman and 35-year-old Keith Hargrove.
Coleman is charged with first degree murder, attempted robbery with a firearm, armed burglary of a residence, conspiracy to commit burglary, conspiracy to commit robbery, and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. Hargrove faces two additional charges: discharging a firearm in an occupied dwelling and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
A possible motive coming out during Mondays opening statements. Family members at the courthouse told 8News that the Commonwealths Attorney is claiming the two men broke into Andersons home, attempting to steal lottery winnings that Anderson posted about online.
On Tuesday, a Special Agent with the Richmond Police Department testified about what led authorities to zero-in on Hargrove as a suspect. Fourteen jury members watched body camera video, worn by the special agent, during an unrelated arrest. It was stated in court that Hargrove was wanted for drug possession.
As officers came into contact with Hargrove on Jan. 30, 2019, a firearm was located in his jacket pocket. That firearm was traced back to the crime, according to family members.
A ballistic report is expected to be presented on Wednesday in court. Also during a body search oxycodone pills, marijuana, heroin, a wad of cash, and two cell phones were found on Hargrove.
The prosecution pushed technology as major factor in the case bringing in several agents from VSPs High-Tech Crimes Unit to testify. Several cell phones, including Hargroves, were analyzed and email accounts seized.
Sources tell 8News on Wednesday, the prosecution is expected to tell the jury what they discovered on the phones and how it will likely incriminate the two men.
Im just a little anxious and Im just trying to see how this is going to play out, Anderson told 8News.
Tuesdays proceedings wrapped up early after a witness Donell Downey refused to testify, citing his fifth amendment rights. Downey stated loudly into the microphone when asked any questions by the Commonwealths Attorney I plead my fifth amendment rights, I changed my mind, I dont want the plea, Ill go back to jail, and Im following my constitutional rights.
According to online court records, Downey is charged in King William Circuit Court with charges similar to Hargrove and Coleman including first-degree murder, armed burglary, etc. Sources tell 8News Downey was charged later in the crime, but offered a plea deal to testify against the two suspects, however he rescinded the deal while on the stand.
On Tuesday, both Hargrove and Coleman did not speak and sat next their attorneys.
A verdict should be reached on Friday.
Here is the original post:
Trial starts for two men charged in the murder of 8-year-old King William child - 8News
- The Supreme Court Further Expands The Definition Of A Physical - Mondaq News Alerts - August 2nd, 2021
- The Supreme Court Further Expands the Definition of a Physical Taking of Property That Violates Fifth Amendment Protections - JD Supra - August 2nd, 2021
- Judge expected to rule Wednesday whether to charge Mensah in on-duty shooting - WISN Milwaukee - August 2nd, 2021
- Vaccine opponents appear increasingly confused about HIPAA - MSNBC - August 2nd, 2021
- Opinion: Elections are the worst method of picking judges except for all the others - Houston Chronicle - August 2nd, 2021
- FBI and Detroit police taught 'White Boy Rick' the drug game then double-crossed him, he says. Now, he wants $100 million - WDJT - August 2nd, 2021
- Trevor Bauers Hearing Strategy Is A Trial In The Court of Public Opinion - Beyond the Box Score - July 27th, 2021
- Erika Jayne's Husband Thomas Girardi To Plead The Fifth As Part Of Embezzlement Investigation - Radar Online - July 27th, 2021
- Gov. Cuomo: New Yorkers will be shocked when they hear facts of AGs harassment investigation - RochesterFirst - July 27th, 2021
- Fianc of victim in Rodney Reed case testifies, waives right to attorney - KXAN.com - July 27th, 2021
- What Is HIPAA and How Does the Law Work? - The New York Times - July 27th, 2021
- How Sha'Carri Richardson Can Sue Her Way Back Into the Olympics - The Daily Beast - July 27th, 2021
- QUICK BRAG AS I RECOVER FROM THE PALOOZA: Court in NY Says Hunstein Doesnt survive Ramirez and I Told You So - TCPAWorld.com - July 27th, 2021
- Money & the Law: With every rule there seems to be an exception - Denver Gazette - July 18th, 2021
- The Chase County Courthouse is a Kansas icon. The jail in its shadow is a disgrace. - Kansas Reflector - July 18th, 2021
- Gary Pearce: UNC and the debate over dissent - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - July 18th, 2021
- This is my land and I plan on keeping it Monroe County families trying to fight TVAs eminent domain - WATE 6 On Your Side - July 18th, 2021
- A Supreme Court ruling that's right out of the 19th century - Raw Story - July 18th, 2021
- What Does Bill Cosbys Overturned Conviction Mean for Your Fifth Amendment Rights Against Self-Incrimination? - JD Supra - July 16th, 2021
- Wisk Submits Evidence Claiming Massive Theft and Archer's Use of Wisk Trade Secrets, as Archer Engineer Pleads the Fifth - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2021
- Give And Take: How The U.S. Supreme Courts Ruling In Cedar Point Nursery v. Hassid May Impact Rhode Islanders Who Own Property Abutting Public Lands -... - July 16th, 2021
- Ink Blog: The Supreme Court & the Constitution in 2021 - Ashland Daily Press - July 16th, 2021
- Man convicted of sex crime on Colo. tribal reservation appeals to SCOTUS - coloradopolitics.com - July 16th, 2021
- Federal Circuit Reverses CIT's Decision on the President's Ability to Modify Section 232 Tariffs - Lexology - July 16th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Property rights should be considered human rights - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - July 16th, 2021
- GARY PEARCE: UNC and the debate over dissent - WRAL.com - July 16th, 2021
- NCLA Appeals to First Circuit Over IRSs Unlawfully Seizing Cryptocurrency Data of Thousands - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- What the US Government Brief Should Have Said in Al-Hela: On Guantanamo and Due Process - Just Security - July 16th, 2021
- Update On Union Access To Property - Employment and HR - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - July 16th, 2021
- The Right To Be Let Alone: What To Do When COVID Strike Force Teams Come Knocking OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 16th, 2021
- Kristin Smart's accused killer Paul Flores' charges amended to include two allegations of rape in LA - Californianewstimes.com - July 16th, 2021
- Cosby case rips open wounds that just won't heal. Here's why. - York Daily Record - July 16th, 2021
- Norris Burkes: The case of the stolen freedoms - Charleston Post Courier - July 5th, 2021
- Why was Bill Cosby released from prison after being found guilty of drugging and molesting woman? - MassLive.com - July 5th, 2021
- Pennsylvania court was right to overturn Cosbys conviction - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2021
- Bruce Castor, before and after Cosby: Trump, insurrection, and Katheleen Kane - On top of Philly news - Billy Penn - July 2nd, 2021
- Where's Lucy? Sham teen marriage and felony charges featured in case of missing St. Charles County girl - KSDK.com - July 2nd, 2021
- A lawyer for Ghislaine Maxwell says she should be set free like Bill Cosby was, but legal experts say that's highly unlikely - Yahoo News - July 2nd, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Why Bill Cosbys conviction was overturned - WKRG News 5 - July 2nd, 2021
- The Courts and Healthcare Policy - July 2021 | McGuireWoods Consulting - JDSupra - JD Supra - July 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Where is our Fifth Amendment? | Letters To Editor | berkshireeagle.com - Berkshire Eagle - June 28th, 2021
- Joe Biden and the Blessed Sacrament | Napolitano - New Jersey Herald - June 28th, 2021
- Recapping Wednesday's Cases, and Predicting the Remaining 8 Cases - Reason - June 28th, 2021
- Supreme Court Finds Fifth Amendment Taking in State Regulation Granting Access to Private Property - JD Supra - June 27th, 2021
- Villager's son wants judge yanked from case in legal fight over mask mandate - Villages-News - June 27th, 2021
- Biden and the Sacrament | News, Sports, Jobs - Gloversville Leader-Herald - June 27th, 2021
- A Philly man was cleared of murder after 34 years by evidence that was in the police file all along - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 27th, 2021
- Devin Nunes's Libel Lawyering, Employee Witnesses, and the Privilege Against Self-Incrimination - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- American Samoans are the latest victims of these ignorant Supreme Court rulings - MSNBC - June 20th, 2021
- Critical race theory has proved divisive. What is it? - theday.com - June 20th, 2021
- Murder Defendant Martin Takes the Stand on His Defense - wkdzradio.com - June 20th, 2021
- Gov. Abbott Vowed to Build a Wall With Mexico. Texas Borderland Owners Say Not in My Backyard - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 20th, 2021
- Prosecution rests in 2nd trial of officers accused of assaulting Black colleague by again focusing on texts - KSDK.com - June 20th, 2021
- NCLA Lawsuit in Texas Seeks to End SEC's Lifetime Gag Orders that Violate the First Amendment - StreetInsider.com - June 20th, 2021
- In His Wild Bid to Stop Leaks to the Press, Trump Even Spied on His Own Lawyer - Truthout - June 20th, 2021
- Paul Robeson Was One of the Greatest Figures of the 20th Century - Jacobin magazine - June 20th, 2021
- Lorraine Reich: It's more than corporate money in elections - The Union of Grass Valley - June 4th, 2021
- Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli Gets a Slap on the Wrist for Using Contraband Phone to Discuss Pharma Business Behind Bars - Law & Crime - June 4th, 2021
- The FBI Took Their Safe Deposit Box and Everything Inside It. Two Months Later, They're Still Waiting for It To Be Returned. - Reason - June 4th, 2021
- Imprisoned Felon Martin Shkreli Busted For Using Contraband Phone To Discuss Pharma Business With Associates Following Daraprim Scandal - Radar Online - June 4th, 2021
- Citing privacy concerns, Huntsville wont explain why convicted officer is still employed - AL.com - June 4th, 2021
- What the House should quickly do if the January 6 commission fails in the Senate - WTVA - May 27th, 2021
- How to Remember the Difference Between Invoke and Evoke - Lifehacker - May 27th, 2021
- Notable investigations, trials and dates ahead 1 year after George Floyds death - NewsNation Now - May 27th, 2021
- AG's Move to Criminal Probe Is a Red Alert for the Trump Org - The Daily Beast - May 27th, 2021
- Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic Stops - John Whitehead's Commentary Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic... - May 27th, 2021
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Voice of the People | | hastingstribune.com - Hastings Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021
- Today's Headlines and Commentary - Lawfare - Lawfare - April 11th, 2021