The earliest records of depression date back to B.C.E. in Mesopotamia. Back then, this mental health disorder was considered a spiritual condition, attributed to satanic elements. This pervasive belief at the time resulted in oddball treatments such as physical restraint, severe beatings, and even starvation. Of course, these treatments failed to rid the patients of their depressive disorders.
During the common era, between 25 BCE and 50 CE, treatments for depression were equally savage and included incarceration, starvation, and severe beatings. During the common era, a doctor from Persia named Rhazies understood that depression was a mental health illness and recommended a variant of behavioral therapy to treat the condition.
During the Renaissance period, depression was generally perceived as an intractable weakness. Treatment options varied between medication, diet, exercise, and even music. Apothecaries encouraged vomiting, dietary modifications, riding horses, and enemas.
By the 19th and 20th century, the esteemed psychiatrist, Emil Kraepelin from Germany, distinguished schizophrenia from bipolar disorder. He also advocated for psychotherapy based on psychoanalysis.
Sigmund Freud furthered more in-depth studies of depression, with his theories associating melancholy with loss. He explained how loss resulted in unconscious anger and self-loathing. Freud advocated psychoanalysis be used to resolve these internal conflicts and to reduce the negative thought processes.
In the 19th and 20th century, various treatment regimens for depressive disorders became available. Unfortunately, these treatment options were ineffective or overkill.
Lobotomies, a surgical procedure that involves severing connections in the brain's prefrontal cortex, were commonplace but they resulted in severe personality changes, improper judgment, and an inability to make decisions; enter the era of ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).
The invasive ECT surgical procedure requires patients to undergo shock therapy with a psychiatrist, nurse, physician's assistant, and an anesthesiologist at the ready. It is believed that ECT induces seizures which has a positive effect on combatting depression. Further studies suggested that depression was the result of endogenous and reactive causes. Doctors also discovered various treatment options for depression in the form of isoniazid.
By the time cognitive behavioral therapy came around, it proved to be a highly effective alternative to the other depression treatments known as psychodynamic theory. Various SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) such as Paxil, Zoloft, and Prozac are highly effective at targeting the brain serotonin levels with far fewer side-effects than other medications.
Tricyclic antidepressants were touted as treatments for depression, but they oftentimes came with serious side effects. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) was coined by American clinicians during the 1970s and despite a large body of work surrounding MDD, there isn't a definitive answer to the root cause of this depressive disorder.
Psychiatrists, mental health counselors, and clinicians believe that depression is the result of social elements, biological factors, and psychological components. While the root cause of depression may be somewhat murky, the effects of depression are well known.
People who are suffering from major depressive disorder often struggle with major disturbances in activity levels, poor sleep habits, and gastrointestinal issues. Major depressive disorder is associated with high levels of anxiety.
Given the explosion in interest in depressive disorders and anxiety disorders, psychiatrists, psychologists, MDs, and mental health professionals now have a much better understanding of the disorder and how to treat it.
The medication used to treat depression Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, divers targets neurotransmitters in the brain. However, medication may cause serious side effects which need to be monitored and addressed. For example, antidepressants may cause more problems than they are worth, with a meta-analysis of 17 studies that was published in 2017 in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics finding a 14% higher risk of heart attacks and strokes and a 33% greater risk of death for people who used antidepressants over a long time.
For patients who do not respond well to antidepressants and traditional therapy regimens, there are alternative options available. These include the aforementioned ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) and modern treatment options such as TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation).
It should be noted that these modern procedures and treatment regimens are prescribed only when patients do not respond well to traditional depressive disorder treatments such as medication, therapy, and are at serious risk of hurting themselves or others.
While ECT is invasive, painful, and may have severe side-effects, the safe alternative TMS does not even require the patient to be sedated or anesthetized prior to the procedures.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation is a cutting-edge solution for major depressive disorder. It involves the passage of electromagnetic waves into the depression center of a person's brain, just beneath the skull.
The level of intensity of the TMS treatment depends upon the severity of the depression. By reconfiguring the neural activity in the brain through TMS, it is possible to alleviate many of the symptoms that cause depression to begin with.
TMS treatments have minor side-effects including dizziness, headaches, tingling, or pain on the scalp. These symptoms can be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication such as Advil, Tylenol, or Aspirin.
With TMS, patients who don't respond to medication and therapy have another shot at a life free from depression. The treatment protocol requires patients to consult a licensed and regulated mental health counseling service where TMS is offered.
The TMS sessions range from 30 minutes to 45 minutes, 5 days a week for 4-6 weeks. The severity of the condition determines the intensity of the TMS treatment.
TMS will often be used in concert with therapy and medication for optimal effectiveness. The majority of patients who complete a TMS treatment regimen report significant improvement in general disposition and mood. Many patients also attest to a complete remission of their depressive symptoms.
See the rest here:
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021
- Extreme weather postpones season opening TMS Dirt Track event - Speedway Digest - February 22nd, 2021
- Research Moz Releases New Report on the TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021-2030 NY Market Reports - NY Market Reports - February 22nd, 2021
- Real-time Truckload Rates from Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW) Available to More than 25,000 Shippers in Kuebix - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Jujutsu Kaisen Chat With Ray Chase, Voice of Sukuna - The Mary Sue - February 22nd, 2021
- Emerging Neuromodulation Technologies Enabling Growth Opportunities in Mental Health Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Analysis Of Trends, Demand And Competition 2021-2026 | Neuronetics, Yiruide, Brainsway, Neurosoft,... - February 22nd, 2021
- Small Fleets Drive EKA Cloud-Based TMS Growth - Heavy Duty Trucking - February 12th, 2021
- DAT and Axele Announce Partnership to Expand Load Board and TMS Integration - SupplyChainBrain - February 12th, 2021
- Hodge enjoys showing TMS students how history connects to their lives - The Thomasville Times - February 12th, 2021
- Denton County cancels Thursdays vaccination clinic at Texas Motor Speedway due to weather - The Dallas Morning News - February 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 impact on High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Treatment Market Key Vendors, Regional Analysis and Competitive Landscape Forecast by... - February 12th, 2021
- Birds of Prey Director Cathy Yan on Her Debut Film Dead Pigs - The Mary Sue - February 12th, 2021
- Real-time pricing vs. spot pricing: Whats the difference? - FreightWaves - February 12th, 2021
- Significant' High Court backing for adjudication in construction - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 12th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Analysis, Industry Size, Share Leaders, Current Status by Major vendors and Trends by Forecast to... - February 12th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America In Coral Springs Offers Breakthrough Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety, and Other Disorders - TAPinto.net - February 6th, 2021
- Pandemic spurs scientists to look closer at an experimental treatment for severe depression - CTV News - February 6th, 2021
- 40% of TMS teachers are vaccinated - Saipan Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Axele hits outstanding milestone of 10000 loads since introduction less than 90 says ago - American Journal of Transportation - February 6th, 2021
- Best Comprehensive Report on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021-2027| Cisco, Everbridge, HPE (Aruba), Cloud4Wi, Signify (Philips), CARTO ... - February 6th, 2021
- New Dawn TMS Psychiatry with Their FDA Approved TMS Therapy Offers Holistic Psychiatric Care - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 6th, 2021
- The New World of Logistics - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- MEGALOBOX 2: NOMAD to Premiere in April 2021 on TOKYO MX & BS11 - Business Wire - February 6th, 2021
- Across Systems' Gerd Janiszewski on Selling the TMS Provider to Volaris Group - Slator - January 29th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management System Market Report 2021: Opportunities in the Increasing Adoption of Cloud-Based Technology and Industry 4.0 -... - January 29th, 2021
- Axele Hits Outstanding Milestone of 10000 Loads Since Introduction Less Than 90 Days Ago - CSCMP's Supply Chain Quarterly - January 29th, 2021
- He's Been Fighting To Improve Mental Health Service In Coral Springs And Across The Nation - TAPinto.net - January 29th, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Oracle,... - January 29th, 2021
- Transfix Launches TrueView TMS, Offering Shippers Flexible, Consistent Capacity And Reducing Time To Tender By Up To 92% - PR Web - January 19th, 2021
- Agnew's dressing gown and Bumble's dog: it's TMS and Sky Cricket, but not as we know it - Telegraph.co.uk - January 19th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2021
- Part two: FX and hedging for SMEs - between a rock and a hard place - Finextra - January 19th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Tire Mold Market 2021 financial overview of the Players such as Saehwa IMC, SeYoung TMS, King Machine, HERBERT Maschinen, Shinko Mold Industrial - KSU... - January 19th, 2021
- EnviroChill Saves Bakery from Food Disaster with New Technology - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Lady Bulldogs Undefeated in Region Play - All On Georgia - January 19th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: There Is Relief For Depression - TAPinto.net - January 17th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Business Wire - January 17th, 2021
- Dry Well Calibrators Market | Industry Insight 2021-2026 Covered players: Fluke, Wika Instrumentation, TMS, Electronic Development Laboratories, OMEGA... - January 17th, 2021
- Digital Piano Market 2021 to 2026 Insights & Forecast with COVID-19 Impact | Yamaha , Long Beach Music , Hamzer , Casio , TMS , and more |... - January 5th, 2021
- Technology Enhancements to the QuantaVerse Financial Crime Platform Extend its Lead in AML Innovation - PR Web - January 5th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (Tms) Market with Future Prospects, Growth, Industry Expansion Strategies, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To... - January 5th, 2021
- Trucking in 2020: A look back the year's top news, equipment and tech trends - Commercial Carrier Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Waste Collection (Waste and Recycling) Software Market Competitive landscape, Growth Strategies for Business Development, Analysis and Forecast,... - January 5th, 2021
- EDAP Announces End of the Year Focal One Sales - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - GlobeNewswire - November 17th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - November 17th, 2020
- Hudson Capital and FreightHub Merge - Citybizlist - November 17th, 2020
- TMS students recognized as Blazers of the Quarter - The Torrington Telegram - November 15th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Third Quarter Financial Results With Continued Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic, Announces Spravato Pilot... - November 15th, 2020
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Descartes' Cloud-based Solution - DC Velocity - November 15th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results on November 18, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Tenino Middle School Honored as AVID 'Site of Distinction' for Showing Marked Improvement in Past Three Years - Centralia Chronicle - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Cloud-based Transportation Management and Load Tracking Visibility Solution from Descartes - IT News... - November 15th, 2020
- Five Keys to Overcoming the Barriers that Limit Dedicated Fleet Productivity - Supply Chain Management Review - November 15th, 2020
- Odyssey Logistics & Technology TMS Study Reveals Insights Amid the Pandemic on Logistics Technology and Market Conditions - PR Web - August 19th, 2020
- BulkLoads TMS product for bulk commodities will be integrated into Barchart - FreightWaves - August 19th, 2020
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor new car leasing & subscription Program through TMS - United News of India - August 19th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to... - August 19th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 25th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 25th, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Research Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Live TMS Treatment from NeuroSpa TMS - WFLA - July 15th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 24th, 2020