If youre planning to travel to the Maldives heres what youll need to know and expect if you want to visit during the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Maldives reopened borders to all travelers from all countries on July 15, 2020. The primary exception to this is the tightly packed capital city of Mal, which is off-limits to visitors as it has been the source of the majority of the countrys coronavirus cases.
This is the couples destination to end all others luxury hotels set on private islands, with rooms cantilevered over the water, just in case a walk to the beach is too much effort.
From May 13, travelers from South Asia are temporarily banned from entering the Maldives.
The new rules apply to all visa holders from India, Nepal, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, as well as those who have transited those countries in the past two weeks.
However, the Maldives is open to visitors from all other destinations, as long as they have proof of a negative Covid test.
Travelers from the UK are currently subject to a 10-day quarantine.
The Maldives was one of the rare travel successes of 2020, and it looks like that trend is continuing for 2021.
There were over 140 resorts and over 330 guesthouses open and serving international visitors as of late February.
The destination has launched a loyalty program that rewards regular visitors with points based on the frequency and duration of their trips. Those who rack up lots of points will be bumped up to various elite status levels that offer advantages including hotel discounts.
All arrivals other than Maldives citizens and those who are fully vaccinated must present a certificate of a negative PCR test carried out within the 96 hours prior to departure, clearly showing the name and address of the laboratory, as well as the date of the sample taken.
The result must be attached to the Traveler Health Declaration form which must be submitted online within the 24 hours prior to arrival. Visitors are asked to download the national contact tracing app, TraceEkee, and use it during their journey.
Tourists are allowed to split stays between hotels. However, if you spend more than 48 hours in the Greater Mal area, you must take another PCR test before moving elsewhere.
Since the discovery of the new UK variant in late December, all travelers arriving from the UK, including transiting passengers, must undergo a 10-day quarantine.
From April 20, fully vaccinated tourists are not required to submit a negative PCR test on arrival or adhere to any quarantine restrictions provided they present proof that their second dose of a vaccine recognized by the World Health Organization was administered at least two weeks prior to travel.
Those who are arriving to work in health facilities, day care centers, schools and residential care services are required to present a negative PCR test on arrival regardless of their vaccination status.
Travelers visiting an island where 60% of the population (including tourist resort/guesthouse and hotel islands) are fully vaccinated will be exempt from quarantine measures.
The Maldives has reported a total of 60,943 coronavirus cases and 151 deaths as of May 28.
While the figures remain relatively low for the most part, Covid-19 cases jumped from around 100 to over 1,500 in the space of a month, prompting a short-term ban on visitors from South Asia on May 13.
However, numbers are continuing to rise, with a record 2,194 cases reported on May 20.
The country began its roll-out of the India-made AstraZeneca Covishield vaccine on February 1. Hospitality workers were included in the first round of citizens to get vaccinated. Nearly 470,00 people in the Maldives had received their first dose of the vaccine as of May 28.
Dr. Abdulla Mausoom, the Maldivian Minister of Tourism, has confirmed that the Maldives is developing a Visit, Vaccinate and Vacation scheme named 3V that would allow visitors to receive a Covid-19 vaccine on arrival.
The program wont go ahead until the countrys entire population, estimated at just under 550,000, has been fully vaccinated.
The Maldives are selling themselves as a destination offering a normal vacation, thanks to the isolation of most hotels and the fact that the vast majority of visitors stay in-resort rather than venture out.
This means that while locals are subject to restrictions, those going to and from the airport are exempt. Split stays between different hotels are allowed, if the hotels meet government requirements. Requests for split stays must be made to the Ministry of Tourism at least 48 hours before travel.
Expect also for your resort to have some rules especially a temperature check on arrival, and masks to be worn indoors. As most items in shops must be shipped to the Maldives, some things can get pricey you should bring things like masks and hand sanitizer with you to avoid spending while on the island chain.
Tourist board Covid-19 updates
Ministry of Health latest figures
Learn how wealthy Indians have been shut out of the Maldives due to the temporary ban on South Asian travelers, and why the destination is hoping to lure travelers with vaccines on arrival.
Wondering what its like to visit right now? Read this piece, which details the pandemic vacation experience.
If youre planning your trip, check out our list of the best dining experiences. And meet the Maldives barefoot pilots. And if a travel bubble is what you want, youre in luck the Waldorf Astoria Maldives has just revealed its latest property, a Maldivian private island called Ithaafushi, available for a cool $80,000 a night.
- Renting out your own private island may be cheaper than you think here are 13 incredible Airbnbs - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Five Homes on Maine Islands You Don't Want to Miss Out On - Boston magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Cornering the market with the next big thing in retail - The Times - July 25th, 2021
- Marymount team helps in statewide effort to address 'heat islands' - Inside NoVA - July 25th, 2021
- 10 "No-No's" of Cruising After the Pandemic - Cruzely.com - July 25th, 2021
- We bought a $62,000 sailboat and moved in - Toronto Life - July 25th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 7th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 7th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 7th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4,000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Ed Sheeran had to be talked out of buying an island and moving to Ghana - NME - July 7th, 2021
- The private Scottish island you can buy for the same price as a London flat - My London - July 7th, 2021
- 17 Sunny Photos of the Royal Family at the Beach - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KTVZ - July 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In July - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau: Marlon Brandos fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 7th, 2021
- The Best Room at ... The Four Seasons Anguilla - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- If you love travel then Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals is your next watch - Woman & Home - July 7th, 2021
- Taxing tourists is helping the Balearic islands to give back to sustainable initiatives - Euronews - June 28th, 2021
- Escape to one of these 10 New England islands for your next vacation - USA Today 10Best - June 28th, 2021
- Some neighborhoods in DC can be 20 degrees hotter than other areas. Here's why - WUSA9.com - June 28th, 2021
- Where is the Love Island villa and can I stay there? - Manchester Evening News - June 28th, 2021
- Calilo a work of art on the Greek island of Ios - Travel Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- The perfect getaway: An interview with Luis D. Ortiz of Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacations Rentals - Charleston Post Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Yugo Private Aviation expands in Southeast Asia - Business Wire - June 27th, 2021
- Rare chance to own a renovated cottage on a private Welsh island - Wales Online - June 27th, 2021
- Would you like to stay in an igloo when your trip resumes? - Ohionewstime.com - June 27th, 2021
- Private aviation firm Yugo pursuing growth in PHL - BusinessWorld Online - June 27th, 2021
- Behind the Scenes: On the Hunt for the Real Ghislaine Maxwell - Rolling Stone - June 27th, 2021
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Tourism is Back and it Starts in The Seychelles With a Boom! - Al-Bawaba - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about a Fiji and Pacific Islands travel bubble, and which islands to visit - Nine - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- How to Build Anywhere in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Europe woos tourists with cash, cafes and Covid-free islands - Yahoo Singapore News - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021