Watching the sun set over the ocean from a busy restaurant, listening to a soundtrack of excited chatter in several different languages as translucent waters lap at a white sand beach below a holiday in the Seychelles in 2021 seems no different than it ever was.
The only reminders of the COVID-19 pandemic are the face masks folded on the tables next to drinks, and the hand sanitizer replacing salt and pepper shakers.
Because tourism has returned here in full force. Since the island archipelago reopened on March 25, travellers currently mostly Arab and eastern European rather than German and British due to current lockdowns have arrived in droves. Hotel operators report occupancy levels rocketing from around 20 percent to 90 percent in a week.
Now welcoming around 500 visitors per day, the nation is seeing a glimmer of hope after a tough year that battered its tourism-reliant economy. Even now, during a surge in COVID cases despite operating one of the worlds fastest vaccination campaigns, tourism authorities are insisting the Seychelles is a safe place to vacation. While the Ministry of Health has said about one third of the positive cases are among people who are fully vaccinated, most are those who have received only one dose of the vaccine or none at all.
Which is why safety has become paramount here. Masks are worn even outdoors by the Seychellois and social distancing is strictly enforced.
Security patrols roam the beaches, restaurants and hotels on the nations three main islands Mahe, Praslin and La Digue ensuring the rules are followed at all times. A new COVID-hotel certification has approved 500 of the countrys 700 hotels to operate. But despite the rapid return of tourism, isolation isnt hard to find.
On Mahe, the most populous of the countrys 115 islands, seclusion is found in the south. The Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, for instance, is a welcoming fortress the private-access road winding through thick foliage until you reach the propertys 67 villas spread across an expansive 180-hectare bay atop the picturesque Petite Anse beach.
Privacy abounds here, and despite it now almost running at full capacity, the site is so vast it never seems crowded. Sun loungers by the beach are socially distant, and given that each of the villas has its own private pool, its become a popular choice for safety-conscious travellers. On-site restaurants Kannel and Zez offer some of the best food on Mahe, so theres really no reason to ever leave the enclave.
But the real draw of a trip to the Seychelles is a spot of island-hopping, and the countrys private islands have been quick to position themselves as the ultimate COVID-friendly place to holiday.
If youre willing to splurge, head for Six Senses Zil Pasyon, located on the private Felicite Island. The traditional-style, ocean-front villas are roomy and come with their own private pools and huge outdoor deck, perfect for social distancing. The spa, which Six Senses is famous for, is back in operation too and is the best place to spend a rainy afternoon indoors.
The waters around Felicite are protected, so the snorkeling here is excellent, and short walks around the island lead you to isoloated white-sand beaches which youll likely be alone to enjoy.
But if its rugged nature and proper hiking youre looking for, head straight for Silhouette Island. Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa operates on one of the few flat areas of the island, which is mostly made up of towering peaks and overgrown jungle. Hikes here are something else entirely steep climbs through native flora that deposit you at a private beach, sometimes featuring free-roaming giant Aldabra tortoises, sometimes with a coral reef prime for snorkeling. These are exclusive experiences, since the island is a protected national park and the hotel offers just 111 rooms. Youll need to opt for a higher end Sanctuary Villa for a private pool, but the lengthy main beach provides ample room for swimming in almost-complete isolation. The local settlement nearby, inhabited by about 30 Seychellois, means theres a far more authentic experience to be had here, too. To spend a few days on Silhouette is to be transported to another world.
While the rest of the world tentatively reopens, and travellers venture overseas once again, the Seychelles has had a head start and time to fine-tune a tourism industry operating in the new normal. So it currently offers a safety-conscious, low-key experience for travellers returning to seeing the world.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
The rest is here:
- Renting out your own private island may be cheaper than you think here are 13 incredible Airbnbs - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Five Homes on Maine Islands You Don't Want to Miss Out On - Boston magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Marymount team helps in statewide effort to address 'heat islands' - Inside NoVA - July 25th, 2021
- 10 "No-No's" of Cruising After the Pandemic - Cruzely.com - July 25th, 2021
- We bought a $62,000 sailboat and moved in - Toronto Life - July 25th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 7th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 7th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 7th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4,000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Ed Sheeran had to be talked out of buying an island and moving to Ghana - NME - July 7th, 2021
- The private Scottish island you can buy for the same price as a London flat - My London - July 7th, 2021
- 17 Sunny Photos of the Royal Family at the Beach - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KTVZ - July 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In July - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau: Marlon Brandos fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 7th, 2021
- The Best Room at ... The Four Seasons Anguilla - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- If you love travel then Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals is your next watch - Woman & Home - July 7th, 2021
- Taxing tourists is helping the Balearic islands to give back to sustainable initiatives - Euronews - June 28th, 2021
- Escape to one of these 10 New England islands for your next vacation - USA Today 10Best - June 28th, 2021
- Some neighborhoods in DC can be 20 degrees hotter than other areas. Here's why - WUSA9.com - June 28th, 2021
- Where is the Love Island villa and can I stay there? - Manchester Evening News - June 28th, 2021
- Calilo a work of art on the Greek island of Ios - Travel Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- The perfect getaway: An interview with Luis D. Ortiz of Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacations Rentals - Charleston Post Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Yugo Private Aviation expands in Southeast Asia - Business Wire - June 27th, 2021
- Rare chance to own a renovated cottage on a private Welsh island - Wales Online - June 27th, 2021
- Would you like to stay in an igloo when your trip resumes? - Ohionewstime.com - June 27th, 2021
- Private aviation firm Yugo pursuing growth in PHL - BusinessWorld Online - June 27th, 2021
- Behind the Scenes: On the Hunt for the Real Ghislaine Maxwell - Rolling Stone - June 27th, 2021
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KRDO - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about a Fiji and Pacific Islands travel bubble, and which islands to visit - Nine - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- How to Build Anywhere in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Europe woos tourists with cash, cafes and Covid-free islands - Yahoo Singapore News - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021