Talk about transcranial magnetic stimulation, or TMS therapy, is raising hopes of parents who wonder if the treatment could work for their child with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
Parents with children on the spectrum are wary of the term cure. For some, its because theyve been disappointed by snakeoil and false hope more than they care to remember; for others, the term cure seems more fitting to a disease. When you talk with parents of kids on the spectrum, most are willing to do anything to help their children thrive while firmly embracing who he/she is.
And yet, even autistic adults who celebrate the beautiful difference of their minds, admit that certain symptoms associated with autism create difficulties in everyday life. For example, those on the spectrum often have trouble with social situations and communication. Addressing these challenges in a way that embraces who the child is, but modifies behavior to make life easier, seems like a worthy (and lofty!) goal.
Some see transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) as a treatment worthy of optimism. While researchers urge caution, studies suggest promise and both diagnostic and therapeutic potential (Oberman et al., 2016).
TMS or transcranial magnetic stimulation, is a treatment that directs recurring magnetic energy pulses at specific regions of the brain involved in mood control. The definition sounds a little frighteningenergy or magnetic pulses entering the brain brings up images of inhumane psych wards in horror movies. But actually the treatment is noninvasive, with relevantly little discomfort, and its helped many patients with debilitating depression.
TMS therapy (or treatment) uses short pulses of magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in specific areas of the brain, like the prefrontal cortex which is involved with mood regulation.
When mentioning TMS, people are most familiar with its potential as a treatment for major depressive disorder, but its therapeutic benefits are being investigated for other conditions too. In this regard, researchers believe TMS may possibly alleviate symptoms associated with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
When someone undergoes TMS, the person administering (usually a psychiatrist, physician, or sometimes a clinical psychologist) presses a device to the left side of the patients head, and starts the process of moving magnetic fields into the brain with the flip of a switch.
These magnetic fields produce tiny magnetic currents as they move into the brain. The currents activate cells to release neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. The release of these feel-good chemical messengers may restore balance in the brain which may bring relief for those suffering from depression.
As individuals with autism may have low brain serotonin concentrations (Ademsen et al., 2014), its no wonder researchers see promise in the treatment for those with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
Most doctors state sessions lasting between 30-40 minutes are best, with a recommended 30 sessions over the course of six weeks. Patients usually experience relief (like an elevation in mood) within two to four weeks of the treatment commencing.
Although TMS is FDA approved, this authorization applies to administration in adults (between the ages of 18-70) and only for severe depression that doesnt respond to other medicationsFDA authorisation now applies to other conditions like OCD too. Should a child therefore undergo the treatment for autism, it would be considered off-label.
While TMS may sound good in theory, parents are obviously concerned about any type of therapy administered to their childs brain. However, a study (Yang et al., 2019) reported significant reduction in social and language related symptoms after children with ASD underwent TMS treatment courses. The study also reported possible improvements in cognition and imitation as reported by caregivers. The study saw promise in TMS to improve core deficits in low-functioning children with ASD.
Even though suggestions of success are encouraging, parents also want reassurance that the treatment does not have serious side effects. In addition, parents may wonder about the level of discomfort and the sensory implications of the therapy.
As mentioned, much research is still needed in terms of the application and side effects of TMS, especially when administered to children on the spectrum. In the meantime, studies pertaining to the effects of TMS on neurotypical children may be an appropriate source.
In a study by Krishnan et al. (2014) noninvasive brain stimulation techniques such as TMS were examined to assess the treatments safety when administered to children and adolescents.
The study found repetitive TMS to be safe in children and adolescents when safety guidelines were followed. When side effects were present, it seemed similar to side effects experienced by adults. Out of 513 of the children (or adolescents) involved in the study, 11.5% experienced headaches, 2.5% experienced scalp discomfort, 1.2% experienced twitching, and a very small percentage experienced mood changes, fatigue and tinnitus (Krishnan et al., 2014).
When looking at anecdotal evidence of pain and discomfort experienced, when undergoing TMS treatment, the verdict seems positive. The treatment is generally well tolerated and some feel the lack of serious side effects make it a great alternative for those sensitive to medication.
Parents should, however, be aware of reports of patients experiencing pain, especially at the site of stimulation. Croarkin et al. (2011) detailed the pain experienced (during TMS administration) by two children aged 10, and an adolescent aged 17. The 17-year-old mentioned the pain felt like a headache, sort of like a migraine behind my eyes.
This high level of pain experienced may be rare, but parents of children with ASD should be aware of the worst case scenarioespecially when children with sensory difficulties like tactile defensiveness are involved.
An aspect of TMS that probably needs more investigation, especially for children with autism, is the risk of seizures. As children with autism have a higher chance of being diagnosed with epilepsy too, this concern should be addressed with a qualified professional before deciding on the appropriateness of TMS.
Stultz et al. (2020) produced a literature review of the safety of TMS with respect to seizures and mentions that TMS has been successfully used in patients with epilepsy and traumatic brain injuries. It is further mentioned in the review that seizures are a rare but serious side effect of TMS, but the risk may be low at less than one percent.
There may be further good news, as a new treatment combines TMS with Quantitative Electroencephalogram (qEEG) and Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) to deliver a tailored treatment to the patients unique brain pattern.
The fact that this personalized protocol, known as Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy (MeRT), ascertains the individuals brain patterns, means greater success may be achieved in restoring chemical imbalances.
For parents who would like to find out more about MeRT, specifically for a child with ASD, the following story of Frankie (who stopped toe-walking and learned to talk after his family discovered MeRT) will be an inspiring read.
Experts agree that, although TMS and specifically MeRT appear promising, research is urgently needed to establish efficiency and the long term effects of the treatment. Researchers are hopeful that future studies will find proof that TMS and MeRT are effective in treating certain ASD symptoms like social and language deficiencies.
The TMS journey of Kim Hollingsworth Taylor (founder of the Clearly Present Foundation) became an internet cautionary tale for the extreme highs and lows she experienced when her son underwent TMS. The treatment relieved some of her sons autistic symptomsbut only temporarily. This only highlights the fact that more research is needed, especially concerning long-term outcomes of TMS.
When a study (Sokhadze et al. 2018) lists significant improvements in measures of executive functions and behavior in kids with autism, parents may rightfully experience a surge of hope. Researchers do urge caution, however, as the one thing they seem to agree on is that many more clinical trials and studies are needed to establish the effectiveness of TMS for core symptoms of ASD.
If youve read the research and you believe your child may benefit from TMS or MeRT, the best course of action would be to see your physician or a psychiatrist. These medical professionals will take your childs medical history (and conditions like epilepsy) into consideration before helping you decide if it is the right course of action for your child.
Adamsen, D., Ramaekers, V., Ho, H.T. et al. (2014). Autism spectrum disorder associated with low serotonin in CSF and mutations in the SLC29A4 plasma membrane monoamine transporter (PMAT) gene. Molecular Autism 5, 43. https://doi.org/10.1186/2040-2392-5-43
Coarkin, P. E., Wall, C. A., King, J. D., Andrew Kozel, F., & Daskalakis, Z. J. (2011). Pain during transcranial magnetic stimulation in youth. Innovations in clinical neuroscience, 8(12), 1823.
Krishnan, C., Santos, L., Peterson, M. D., & Ehinger, M. (2015). Safety of noninvasive brain stimulation in children and adolescents. Brain stimulation, 8(1), 7687. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brs.2014.10.012.
Oberman, L. M., Rotenberg, A., & Pascual-Leone, A. (2015). Use of transcranial magnetic stimulation in autism spectrum disorders. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 45(2), 524536. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-013-1960-2
Sokhadze, E. M., Lamina, E. V., Casanova, E. L., Kelly, D. P., Opris, I., Tasman, A., & Casanova, M. F. (2018). Exploratory Study of rTMS Neuromodulation Effects on Electrocortical Functional Measures of Performance in an Oddball Test and Behavioral Symptoms in Autism. Frontiers in systems neuroscience, 12, 20. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnsys.2018.00020
Stultz DJ, Osburn S, Burns T, Pawlowska-Wajswol S, Walton R. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Safety with Respect to Seizures: A Literature Review. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2020;16:2989-3000https://doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S276635.
Yang, Y., Wang, H., Xue, Q., Huang, Z., & Wang, Y. (2019). High-Frequency Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Applied to the Parietal Cortex for Low-Functioning Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Case Series. Frontiers in psychiatry, 10, 293. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00293.
Read the original post:
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2021 Financial Results on May 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Change of Dates for Its First Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - May 9th, 2021
- As One Pandemic Ends, My Tips on How To Navigate This Next One - MD Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market by Type (H-coil, C-core Coil, Circular Crown Coil), By Application (Hospital, Clinic,... - May 9th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market COVID -19 Impact | Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2027 by Growing Players: Oracle, SAP, IBM,... - May 9th, 2021
- Vin Diesels break-dance video brings the internet as Ken guesses him to be Yeti on TMS - Republic TV - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 4th, 2021
- Ruan Partners with Mastery Logistics to Enhance TMS Platform and Redefine Supply Chain Software - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- AscendTMS And uShip Partner to Support SMB Shippers with Seamless Neutral FTL / LTL Platform - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- Qualifying with race downforce at Texas will aid TMS novices - Motorsport.com - May 4th, 2021
- MagVenture receives CE approvals for noninvasive brain treatment of addiction, OCD, and depression with anxiety symptoms - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Boston Seaport Announces Plans for The Holiday Market at Snowport and Calls All Makers, Artists and Chefs to Apply - Boston Real Estate Times - May 4th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market To Surpass Covid-19 Cringe From 2021 Onward The Courier - The Courier - May 4th, 2021
- 123Loadboard Partners With AscendTMS for In-Depth Load Searching Integration - DC Velocity - April 23rd, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 NeighborWebSJ -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Texas Motor Speedway Vaccination Clinic Closes Friday Due to Severe Weather - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Production, Revenue and Price Forecast by Type 2021 to 2027 Neurosoft (Russia), neuroCare Group (Germany), Inomed... - April 23rd, 2021
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- How to treat anxiety without medication: 8 natural remedies - Medical News Today - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: Many Depression Sufferers Have Tried Everything. It's Time To Try Nexstim TMS Therapy. -... - April 6th, 2021
- Repetitive TMS demonstrates ability to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviours - NeuroNews International - April 6th, 2021
- Can Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Rise to the Top of Healthcare Sector Monday? - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Yiruide Neurosoft Neuronetics KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Just Reported Full-Year Earnings And Analysts Are Lifting Their Estimates - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Drivers concerned by prospect of no-go zone at Texas - RACER - April 6th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021- Top Fastest Growing Segments and Emerging Opportunities The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 6th, 2021
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Is Higher By 13.81% Before the Open Wednesday - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Greenbrook TMS Inc. (TSE:GTMS)? - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Research on Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2025 -... - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Worth $126.7 Million by 2026 and Forecasted to Grow at CAGR 0.093% from 2020 to 2030 Comprehensive... - April 6th, 2021
- Global oll Management System(TMS) Market Outlook, Industry Analysis and Prospect 2020 - The Bisouv Network - April 6th, 2021
- Reflecting film Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 |NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021: Products/Services, Organizations, Industry Viewpoint Analysis & Breakthroughs Forecast by 2026 The... - April 6th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Solution Market Size, Share, Trend, Growth Analysis, COVID-19 Impact, Forecast 2021-2027 | Oracle, SAP,... - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2026 - AlgosOnline - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Oracle, Finastra, Salmon Software... - April 6th, 2021
- Active Recovery TMS opens sixth clinic in the Vancouver area | ClarkCountyToday.com - clarkcountytoday.com - March 31st, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) Stock Jumps 18.8%: Will It Continue to Soar? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Ineffective for People with Bipolar Disorder - James Moore - March 31st, 2021
- New Efficacy Data on Theta Burst TMS for Bipolar Depression - Medscape - March 31st, 2021
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Helping Those Who Suffer in Silence - Psychiatry Advisor - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis-... - March 31st, 2021
- Where Will Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Go Next After It Is Higher By 19.44% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - March 31st, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market explored in the latest research report by Read Market Research- Cornerstone Ondemand, IBM, Lumesse and Others... - March 31st, 2021
- MagVenture introduces new solution to improve the ease of use for non-invasive brain stimulation - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Greenbrook to Commence Trading on NASDAQ - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Axele Executive Named to SDCE 2021 Pros to Know - GlobeNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers Of America In Coral Springs: Do You Have Obsessive Compulsive Behaviors And Thoughts? - TAPinto.net - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021: Applications, Types and Growing Trends in Market, Gross Margin and Market Share 2027 - Cabell... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Talent Management Software (TMS) Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2026 : Cornerstone... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- C.H. Robinson's Freightview Technology Platform Named Compatible Solution of the Year by FedEx - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market worth $4330.8 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 14.5% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- State-of-the art depression clinic opening at local Wellness Centre - Portadown Times - March 21st, 2021
- How to prevent psychosocial risks and the potential liability of the employer with the increase of remote work linked to Covid-19? - Lexology - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 21st, 2021
- Unique X & Copine to deploy Advertising Accord in Switzerland - DCinemaToday - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - March 11th, 2021
- Gebrder Weiss Goes Live with 3Gtms and CargoWise Integration for International and Domestic Transportation Management - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Connecting the Supply Chain One TMS at a Time - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market worth $126.7 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 9.3% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report by... - March 11th, 2021
- Axele Webinar: How Small and Midsized Carriers Can Harness the Power of Data - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market aspects that require the complete knowledge by: Webfleet Solutions, Masternaut, Microlise, Transics,... - March 11th, 2021
- The Forgotten Story of the First Toyota Sold in the U.S., the Toyopet Crown - autoevolution - March 11th, 2021
- BrainsWay to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results on March 25, 2021 - GuruFocus.com - March 11th, 2021
- XTM CEO Bob Willans on Raising Capital and the Future of Translation Pricing - Slator - March 11th, 2021
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021