Meeting some or all of the American Heart Associations seven ideal cardiovascular health goals is associated with longer life and fewer heart attacks and strokes, no matter your age.
In fact, in a group of elderly patients, the benefit of an ideal cardiovascular health in reducing mortality and vascular events was comparable to what is observed in younger populations, Dr Bamba Gaye from University Paris Descartes in France told Reuters Health. This is a very good news, which suggests that it is never too late to prevent the development of risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD).
Gaye and colleagues analysed whether achieving some or all of the American Heart Association (AHA) seven ideal goals Lifes Simple 7 - would affect peoples risk of dying or having a stroke or heart attack during a specific study period.
The seven goals include:
Out of the 7371 study participants, whose average age was 74, only one individual had met all seven goals. Only 5% of participants met at least five goals, researchers reported online June 19 in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
For all goals except physical activity and total cholesterol, women were more likely than men to be at ideal levels.
The research team tracked the study subjects to monitor their health; half of the participants were tracked more than nine years.
Compared to people who meet no more than two of the goals, in those who met three or four the risk of death during the study was reduced by 16 percent, and meeting five to seven goals cut the risk by 29 percent.
In fact, the risk of death fell by 10 per cent for each additional goal at the ideal level.
Similarly, the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke fell by 22 percent for each additional goal at the ideal level.
The ideal goal would be to have no risk factors for cardiovascular disease at all, Gaye said.
However, our study also shows a graded benefit on outcome according to the number of risk factors at the optimal level. Hence, a perhaps more realistic approach would be to advise older subjects to have at least one risk factor at an optimal level, and to progressively gain more risk factors at optimal level.
We would like emphasize that (good) health in general and cardiovascular health in particular is the cornerstone of (good) life and we all need to take care of it over the life course, Gaye concluded. The good news is that it is never too late to optimize our own health in elderhood.
The goal of successful aging is not immortality, but limiting time spent with illness and disability, writes Dr Karen Alexander from Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina in an editorial published with the study.
This study, she continued, reminds us that risk factor and lifestyle modifications have no expiration date and continue to yield benefits for a healthy old age, well beyond age 70.
Older adults should focus not so much on the perfect attainment of Lifes Simple 7, but on the process of working to achieve these goals, she concludes.
Dr. Dana E. King from West Virginia University Medicine, Morgantown, West Virginia, who has studied elderly health extensively, told Reuters Health, "It is never too late to start or improve your healthy lifestyle habits. Elderly people who adopt healthier diets, get active, and quit smoking, actually benefit sooner and to a greater degree than young people.
- AgeX Therapeutics and Pluristyx Announce Manufacturing, Marketing, and Distribution Agreement to Expand Access to Clinical-Grade Human Pluripotent... - June 17th, 2020
- Avoid eating these artificial preservatives whenever possible - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 17th, 2020
- Young Blood and Old Blood | In the Pipeline - Science Magazine - June 13th, 2020
- BLM's anti-Semitism must be addressed - San Diego Jewish World - June 13th, 2020
- Writing History on the Banks of Spoon River - Patheos - June 13th, 2020
- These are the Winners of the 2020 Sony World Photography Awards - PetaPixel - June 13th, 2020
- Ramdesivir, hailed as cure for COVID-19: is history repeating itself? - National Herald - May 14th, 2020
- COVID-19: Ministry of Ayush starts clinical trials for Ashwagandha and 4 other Ayurvedic herbs for coronavirus treatment; Here is what you need to... - May 14th, 2020
- A Wafer-Thin Practice | Hans Boersma - First Things - May 14th, 2020
- Promising technologies that will change cancer testing in India - Express Healthcare - April 21st, 2020
- The Medicine of Immortality | Eucharist :: Evangelization ... - April 11th, 2020
- William Wordsworth was the supreme bard of nature and solitude - The Economist - April 9th, 2020
- 5 Ways Scientists Hope to Achieve Immortality for Humanity - March 31st, 2020
- Medicine of Immortality | Dominicana - March 31st, 2020
- Scientists Claim We Might Be Immortal in 17 Years This ... - March 31st, 2020
- The Medicine of Immortality - Spectrum - March 31st, 2020
- St. Ignatius of Antioch and the Medicine of Immortality ... - March 31st, 2020
- India has played a vital role in the fight against coronavirus - WION - March 31st, 2020
- Celebrating International Women's Day in the industry - The Shout - March 12th, 2020
- The science of senolytics: breakthroughs in the future of ageing - Health Europa - January 27th, 2020
- Taking Sermon Notes Why Jesus Called a Man a Fool- Listening to and Learning from the Reverend Doctor King (4/7) - Patheos - January 27th, 2020
- Learn the longevity secrets of this Chinese city which houses over 1,200 centenarians - The Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- Adrienne Martini Reviews The History of Living Forever by Jake Wolff - Locus Online - December 13th, 2019
- Boy, 9, to move to U.S. university after conflict with TU Eindhoven, father says - NL Times - December 13th, 2019
- The Story Of The Quickening: Mercurial Metal - Hackaday - December 13th, 2019
- Breakthrough discovery in plants' DNA may lead to slowing aging process in humans - CNN - November 23rd, 2019
- Missing Link To Longevity Discovered In The Plant Kingdom - Texas A&M University - November 23rd, 2019
- Study Finds Over 55 Million Deaths Could Be Prevented Annually By Some Sort Of Immortality Serum - The Onion - October 12th, 2019
- Whats the mark of a real friend? - Aleteia EN - October 12th, 2019
- Raising the Dead: Ketch Secor Talks Old Crow Medicine Show's Live at The Ryman, Ken Burns' 'Country Music' and Playing with Bob Weir - jambands.com - October 7th, 2019
- FMA: The Top 10 Symbols and Logos, Explained | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 7th, 2019
- Why Are Some Americans Paying $8000 For A Shot Of Teenage Blood? - IFLScience - August 25th, 2017
- Immortality Medicine Part 8456 | Prometheism.net - August 22nd, 2017
- Seeking A Glimpse Of Immortality In The Waters Of India's ... - August 22nd, 2017
- How to live forever - TechRadar - August 20th, 2017
- When thoughts often turn to death - The Economist - August 20th, 2017
- Two-step process leads to cell immortalization and cancer - Medical Xpress - August 18th, 2017
- Time Travel for Beginners - National Catholic Register (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Surprising benefits of aloe vera - WOTV4women.com - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers discover potential cancer treatment breakthrough - Medical Xpress - August 13th, 2017
- Digital Immortality, The Future of Memory, and Sci-Fi Utopias: An Interview With Dr. Phil Frana - Outer Places - August 9th, 2017
- THE NEW CLASSICS | 'The Fountain' - artsBHAM - August 8th, 2017
- The Elixir of Immortality May Reside Deep Within Our Brains - ExtremeTech - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists Make Old Cells Young Again Using Groundbreaking New Technique - IFLScience - August 1st, 2017
- Science says it might actually be possible to live forever - The Loop (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Letters to the Editor - July 30 - Herald-Mail Media - July 30th, 2017
- Websites launched to help people live forever through social media - NEWS.com.au - July 21st, 2017
- Aspen Times Weekly: How Long Do You Want to Live? - Aspen Times - July 20th, 2017
- A Son's Race to Give His Dying Father Artificial Immortality - WIRED - July 19th, 2017
- WELLBEING: Seven reasons to fall in love with aloe vera this summer - NW Evening Mail - July 19th, 2017
- We Will Extend Our Lives but Not Attain Immortality, Says Anti-Aging Researcher - Futurism - July 18th, 2017
- 'Miracle plant' aloe vera is versatile and powerful | Irish Examiner - Irish Examiner - July 14th, 2017
- THe Secret To A Longer Life - Midweek - July 12th, 2017
- On The Eucharist: Part One - Patheos (blog) - July 10th, 2017
- This Study Could Help Extend the Human Lifespan - Futurism - July 8th, 2017
- Billionaires dream of immortality. The rest of us worry about healthcare - The Guardian - July 5th, 2017
- There's No Upper Limit to Human Lifespan, Argue Scientists - Inverse - July 4th, 2017
- Living to 125 and beyond: Scientists dispute there's a limit to our lifespans - kfor.com - July 3rd, 2017
- Living to 125 and beyond: Scientists dispute there's a limit to - KMOV.com - KMOV.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop. - WIRED - July 1st, 2017
- You Can Live Forever, No Maximum Age-Limit Found - Doctor NDTV - June 30th, 2017
- How doctors get sucked into inappropriate care - 6minutes - June 29th, 2017
- Why the super-rich are ploughing billions into the booming 'immortality industry' - Evening Standard - June 29th, 2017
- Exhibits examine 15th- and 16th-century ideas in Harry Potter ... - The Spokesman-Review - June 29th, 2017
- Nature and human nature intersect in a crowdsourced exhibition - New Scientist - June 29th, 2017
- Seven 'ideal' goals to maintain healthy heart - Gulf Times - Gulf Times - June 28th, 2017
- Hitting cardiovascular health targets can help elderly live longer - Reuters - June 28th, 2017
- Black, Gwendolyn - The Daily Progress - June 25th, 2017
- Hitting cardiovascular health targets can help elderly live longer ... - KFGO - June 24th, 2017
- Trees, Science and the Goodness of Green Space - Truth-Out - June 24th, 2017
- Lazarus. A Fringe Peek - DC Theatre Scene - June 22nd, 2017
- Toward Immortality: The Social Burden of Longer Lives - June 19th, 2017
- 'Immortality mushroom' discovered in mountains of western Turkey's anakkale - Daily Sabah - June 19th, 2017
- Israeli Researchers Find Male-Only Longevity Gene MutationThe ... - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - June 19th, 2017
- The Ethical Dilemmas of Immortality - June 18th, 2017
- Study: Daily Dose of THC Can Reverse Aging of Brain - Green Rush Daily - June 16th, 2017
- John Robson: A radical future isn't just coming. It's arriving, now, and perhaps we should give some thought to it? - National Post - June 15th, 2017
- Inside Ambrosia: Could infusions of millennial blood make you ... - Mic - Mic - June 15th, 2017
- 6 Health Benefits and Uses for Sage - Care2.com - June 11th, 2017
- Lo, the full, final sacrifice - Church Times - June 9th, 2017