Heres the scoop 2019 was my favorite year in film of the decade. Now, however, we must look to a new decade in film.
Based on what I have seen, there are some exciting releases this year. It was difficult to pick just three, but aside from Dune, The French Dispatch and The Green Knight, here are a some of the most anticipated movies of 2020 worth keeping on your radar.
2020 Oscars analysis, takeawaysThe big news coming out of the 92nd Oscars Ceremony this weekend was Parasite being the first non-English film to Read
No Time To Die April 8
The fifth and final time Daniel Craig plays James Bond. Craig began playing the character in Casino Royale 14 years ago. Many, including myself, regard this to be Craigs best performance as Bond and one of the best movies in a franchise which spans seven decades.
No Time to Die will introduce us to a few new characters most notably, Rami Malek as a mysterious new villain who we see in a Phantom of the Opera-like mask with a disfigured face. It sounds like his plan may have something to do with immortality, as he says his skills will remain long after he is dead. Bond later says, history isnt kind to men who play god.
Another new face will be Lashana Lynch. She is a 007 agent in MI6 whom the trailer portrays as being in a hostile relationship with Bond. As if Bond didnt have enough on his hands during his farewell tour, Christoph Waltz returns and will no doubt be a threat.
Cary Joji Fukunaga is the director for the film, and I must admit, I have not seen any of his work. His filmography includes Beasts of No Nation (2015), True Detective (2014) and Maniac (2018). All in all, I am curious to see where No Time to Die ends up in the Craig-Bond series hierarchy, and hopeful it doesnt follow in the footsteps of Quantum Solace.
The Lighthouse immerses audiences in another world with unparalleled filmmakingThe reason I love movies is because, for two hours, I can enter another world. All my worries and doubts Read
Tenet July 17
Tenet is Christopher Nolans newest action thriller, starring John David Washington (Ballers, BlacKkKlansman), Robert Pattinson (Good Time, The Lighthouse) and Elizabeth Debicki (The Night Manager, Widows).
The plot largely remains under wraps, but we know it will involve the world of international espionage. At first, the trailer indicates that the protagonist, Washingtons character, must prevent a worldwide disaster original. By the end of the trailer, however, your head hurts because you remember its a Nolan film and nothing will make sense without deeper examination.
I saw an interesting Instagram post showing how Nolan has begun the past two decades with Memento (2000) and Inception (2010). In the former, the English director presents a character with severe memory loss trying to find his wifes killer. The latter deals with dreams and dreams inside dreams and so on. You get the point.
There is no combination quite like Nolan and themes of time and perception, as well as non-linear timelines. Like all his films, we can expect Tenet to be a spectacle. No director utilizes absurd large-scale practical effects and half million-dollar IMAX cameras as much as Nolan. Lets just hope he doesnt break his third one.
Check out Marquee Theater of Union South for free moviesFor the cinephiles on campus, finding theaters can be a struggle. But an option that often goes unrecognized is the Read
The Trial of the Chicago 7 Sep. 25
This is the last film on this list releases in the fall, so there is not a lot of information about the film yet. But, the little I do know about The Trial of the Chicago 7 earns the film a spot on my most anticipated list. The biggest reason this movie warrants excitement is Aaron Sorkin.
Sorkin wrote the screenplay, and it will be his second time in the directors chair. His first attempt was one of my favorite movies of 2017 Mollys Game, the story of Molly Bloom, portrayed by Jessica Chastain, an Olympic skier turned high-stakes poker table runner.
Not to beat a dead horse, but Sorkin truly is in a class of his own when it comes to screenwriting, and he is easily my favorite. His clever dialogue and witty characters are what make his films so entertaining and re-watchable.
We know The Trial of the Chicago 7 will take place in 1968 and will focus on the trial of seven individuals who incited a riot protesting President Johnsons Vietnam War policies. Sorkin has been outspoken about his fondness for courtroom dramas, and the title of the film starts with Trial, so I assume his focus will be on the legal proceedings.
Charges in the trial include conspiracy to incite a riot and excessive force by the police against demonstrators. I cannot wait to see this film. I am confident Sorkin will win best adapted screenplay next year, and hopefully more.
There is no chance I would leave you with just three films. I do believe 2020 will be a good year for cinema, and maybe even better than last year.
Honorable Mentions include Promising Young Woman (April 17), Antebellum (April 24), The Woman in the Window (May 15), Wonder Woman 1984 (June 5), The Kings Man (Sep. 18), Last Night in Soho (Sep. 25), Good Morning, Midnight and Mank (TBD).
Originally posted here:
- The Old Guard's New Trailer Dives Into the Painful Side of Immortality - Gizmodo UK - July 6th, 2020
- Charlize Theron in The Old Guard on Netflix: Film Review - Variety - July 6th, 2020
- Doctor Who Theory: How Rassilon Fits Into The Timeless Child Retcon - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Its Negligence: Young People Hosting Coronavirus Parties, Betting On Who Gets Infected First - CBS Pittsburgh - July 6th, 2020
- Through a Blur of Migratory Birds, Photographer Sankar Sridhar Captures the Rituals of the Yamuna River - Colossal - July 6th, 2020
- Carli Lloyd: I Want Young Players To Be Inspired By My Journey - Forbes - July 6th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 3 : Release Date, Cast, Plot And Other News - Auto Freak - July 6th, 2020
- Madhya Pradeshs new cabinet shows that a slow Congressisation of the BJP is happening - ThePrint - July 6th, 2020
- Batman Beyond Just Brought The Future [SPOILER] Back To Life - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020
- Bihar will get nothing from personal attack on me, focus on real issues: Tejashwi tells BJP, Nitish - Outlook India - June 13th, 2020
- Judd Apatow Tells How the Wallflowers One Headlight Came to Illuminate King of Staten Island: Its Personal - Variety - June 13th, 2020
- NOS4A2 Viewing Guide: What You Need to Know Going into Season 2 - Anglophenia - June 13th, 2020
- How racism revealed the fragility of an entire sport - Majorca Daily Bulletin - June 13th, 2020
- Book World: Those who built the bomb, those who used it and those who survived it - Alton Telegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bahrain king pardons 16 jailed OFWs; 11 deported to PH - UNTV News - UNTV News - June 13th, 2020
- Netflix Said No to Streaming Tommy Wiseau's The Room - MovieWeb - June 13th, 2020
- Dinosaur toys and golf clubs: the strange things astronauts take to the moon - The Guardian - June 13th, 2020
- Copa America: Will 12-month delay enhance Messi and Argentina's chances of glory? - Yahoo! Voices - June 13th, 2020
- 10 Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda For a Life of Freedom And Tranquility - India.com - June 13th, 2020
- Does Thanos Have Superpowers (WITHOUT Infinity Stones)? - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- Kansas City Chiefs Who Could Be Future Hall of Famers (Part 2) - Chiefs Digest - June 13th, 2020
- The Eternals When Can We Expect It In Theatres? What Leaks Are Coming And What Are New Updates? - Pop Culture Times - June 13th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Tear Down a Statue? - The New York Times - June 13th, 2020
- Less than zero: how Pointlesss tweaked finale made fools of us all - The Guardian - May 25th, 2020
- Erling Braut Haaland is Robert Lewandowski's heir apparent we have been waiting for - The National - May 25th, 2020
- A zombie apocalypse, a surprise hook-up, and brutal deaths in the latest Legends of Tomorrow - SYFY WIRE - May 25th, 2020
- Star Wars Confirms DEATH Affects Sith and Jedi the Same - in One KEY Way - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 25th, 2020
- They fought and died, and we remember - The Register-Guard - May 24th, 2020
- Grafite: The Tale of One of the Bundesliga's Greatest Ever One-Season Wonders - 90min - May 24th, 2020
- The last days of history - Part 13Sunday Magazine - Guardian - May 24th, 2020
- 'Henry tried every day to be the best' - Vela says Jordan's Last Dance documentary conjured memories of Arsenal icon - Goal.com - May 24th, 2020
- Elliott Mortuary to host events in Madisonville | Local News - The Messenger - May 24th, 2020
- Read this before you watch The Old Guard - Looper - May 24th, 2020
- 10 New Switch Titles Releasing This Week - SwitchWatch - May 24th, 2020
- From the archives: CSM wins first Nor Cal title - San Mateo Daily Journal - May 24th, 2020
- David Charters: Grumbling oil boiler offers thoughts of immortality - Liverpool Echo - April 11th, 2020
- Hope Is an Important Part of Judaism | Bob Ryan - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Teen paperboy with vampire obsession ripped elderly woman's heart out and drank her blood to be immortal - MEAWW - April 11th, 2020
- Lactomeda: the future of humanity | Science - The Union Journal - April 11th, 2020
- Westworld Season 3 Has Almost the Same Plot as Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Mary Sue - April 11th, 2020
- 21st Century Westerns: The Alamo - Cowboys and Indians - April 11th, 2020
- Last Witch Hunter 2: Vin Diesel Hints Script Is Being Worked On Now - Screen Rant - April 11th, 2020
- Remembering two members of the Marin music community - Marin Independent Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The Nike Adidas Puma Olympic Battle Will Have to Wait - Barron's - March 26th, 2020
- Christ Provides the Antidote to Fear Amid Coronavirus - National Catholic Register - March 26th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The 10 Most Hated Storylines | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Today's Gospel in Art - The Annunciation of the Lord - Independent Catholic News - March 26th, 2020
- Doctor Who: The Top 10 Tenth Doctor Episodes, Ranked According to IMDb - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 48 SECONDS FROM IMMORTALITY: The story of the 1990 Concord Minutemen - Goshen News - March 24th, 2020
- Ginkgo: The Tree of Immortality | NCPR News - North Country Public Radio - March 24th, 2020
- Boost your spirits with fun rom-coms - Boston Herald - March 24th, 2020
- Alex Salmond: from the brink of independence to a court room - FRANCE 24 - March 24th, 2020
- With only 4k miles, this 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD will outlive us all - Autoblog - March 24th, 2020
- We're as lonely as a cloud but the Romance isn't dead - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- How Altered Carbon: Resleeved Connects to Season 2 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 24th, 2020
- In Times of Crisis, We Need To Inject Reason into Debates over Faith - The Libertarian Republic - March 24th, 2020
- Neutralize COVID-19 hysteria with faith and kindness toward neighbors - Washington Times - March 24th, 2020
- '80s Movie Quotes Every Kid From the '80s Knows By Heart - Best Life - March 24th, 2020
- Questioning the Shutdown | RR Reno - First Things - March 24th, 2020
- Liberty shackled and the future blighted: RIP Europe, 312 - 2020 - The Conservative Woman - March 24th, 2020
- Westworld series refresher, what you need to know before season 3 - Show Snob - March 24th, 2020
- Immortality by 2050: Humans very close to everlasting life - February 27th, 2020
- Sports Perseverance leads Tres Tinkle to cusp of Oregon State immortality Kyle Hansen 9:38 AM - KPAX-TV - February 27th, 2020
- Syracuse basketball has clinched immortality for the 2nd straight season - Inside the Loud House - February 27th, 2020
- Why Dodgers' Great Willie Davis Received a Grand Total of Zero Hall of Fame Votes - Sports Illustrated - February 27th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know to Watch 'Altered Carbon' Season 2 on Netflix - Newsweek - February 27th, 2020
- Local News Mom spreads kindness to honor her young son who died in 2018 KMTV Staff - KMTV - 3 News Now - February 27th, 2020
- Alfred Jarry at the Morgan Library - Apollo Magazine - February 27th, 2020