Running scared from a tall guy with a tricorn hat, Iowa Republicans are moving to limit competition on the ballot.
The controversial election reform bill that was rushed through the Iowa Legislature last week will, if signed into law by Gov. Kim Reynolds, make it harder for citizens to vote but also harder for alternative candidates to get on the ballot. The legislation drastically increases the number of signatures required for third-party and no-party candidates.
Republicans who crafted the measure probably have one Iowa man in mind: Bryan Jack Holder, four-time candidate for U.S. House in Iowas 3rd Congressional District.
Holder is a Libertarian from Pottawattamie County in western Iowa, a repeat candidate known for wearing an American Revolution-era hat and a star-spangled necktie. His 15,000 votes in 2020 were more than twice the difference between the Republican and Democratic candidates, earning Holder spoiler status. Democratic incumbent Cindy Axne won reelection against former U.S. Rep. David Young.
The right to petition the government for a redress of grievances by running for public office, as all of you have done, is the foundation stone of our constitutional and democratic republic, Holder said during an Iowa House hearing.
In Republicans imagination, theyre losing close races because Libertarian candidates are siphoning away what would otherwise be GOP votes. Some say Holder cost them the 3rd District election.
Instead of making an effort to win over voters, Republicans want to erect barriers to keep third-party candidates off the ballot.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
Senate File 413 more than doubles the number of signatures required for alternative candidates to get on their candidacy petitions from 1,500 up to 3,500 for presidential, gubernatorial and Senate candidates; more than 1,700 signatures for U.S. House candidates, up from 375.
The legislation also significantly increases the number of counties required to be represented among petition signers. Top-of-the-ballot candidates will be required to have at least 100 signatures from at least 19 counties, while U.S. House candidates will need at least 47 signatures from half the counties in the district.
The new county requirements may be unconstitutional under a 1969 U.S. Supreme Court decision, according to Ballot Access News. In Moore v. Ogilvie, the high court ruled that Illinois signatures-per-county requirement was a rigid, arbitrary formula that discriminates against the residents of the populous counties in the exercise of their political rights.
Its not the first time in recent history that Republicans who control Iowa State government have stifled ballot access for third-party candidates. In 2019, the Legislature approved and Reynolds signed a law to move the third-party candidates petition deadline up from August to March.
Iowas 2019 law, dubbed the incumbent protection act by critics, is the subject of an ongoing federal lawsuit brought by Libertarian Party of Iowa members.
Under the legislation approved last week in the Iowa Legislature, third-party and no-party candidates will have the same condensed timeline for gathering petition signatures, but with much higher thresholds. The obvious intention is to protect vulnerable Republicans from competition.
The new election bill also tinkers with petition requirements for candidates for office in cities that have primaries or runoffs. The mark increases from 25 signatures to 100 in big cities.
Iowa has a long tradition of inclusive elections. For at least the last 10 general elections, there have not been fewer than eight presidential candidates on Iowa ballots. Back in 1992, there were a whopping 14 candidates on the ballot.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
But Iowa Republicans dont trust voters to make the right choice. They are concocting a system to filter out would-be candidates who might pose a threat to their electoral success. Its a paranoid and insecure look for a political party whose power is only growing in Iowa.
Former President Donald Trump is openly toying with the idea of creating a new political party, which would take on both Democrats and Republicans who are insufficiently loyal to Trump.
During an interview on Iowa Public Radio, Iowa GOP Chairman Jeff Kaufmann was asked about the prospect of a Trump third party. Kaufmann dismissed the notion.
Thats not going to happen. You want Republicans and Democrats to hold hands and sing We Are the World, try introducing a third party and making that third party immediately relevant, Kaufmann said.
The message to third parties is clear: You cant win because we wont let you.
firstname.lastname@example.org; (319) 339-3156
See the article here:
Threatened by Libertarians, Iowa GOP moves goal posts - The Gazette
- Ted Budd Officially Entering 2022 NC Senate Race - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - April 29th, 2021
- Elections official admits breaking rule | Indiana | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - April 29th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Wisconsin holds annual convention in Eau Claire - WQOW TV News 18 - April 25th, 2021
- Letter: Calling out the misinformed, on the right and left, about COVID-19 - Eagle-Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Boris's threat to intervene in the Super League furore is proof that his libertarian instincts are dead - Reaction - April 23rd, 2021
- WAHRHAFTIG: This Year's Primary Affects Everyone And Everyone Can Vote - Patch.com - April 23rd, 2021
- The Economic Fallout of COVID-19: Could We Have Avoided This Disaster? - Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: April 5, 2021 - West Hawaii Today - April 6th, 2021
- The Bad Kind of Globalism - Splice Today - April 6th, 2021
- Vaccine Passports and Supply Chain Political Blacklist Risk - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- Glenn Nielsen and David Tyson Smith race toward the 45th District special election - Columbia Daily Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor for March 31, 2021 | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - April 4th, 2021
- How Living on a Socialist Kibbutz Reveals the Value of Private Property - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- I Am An Ambedkarite And A Libertarian And I Do Not Owe Anything To Your Opinion - Youth Ki Awaaz - March 31st, 2021
- Libertarianism - Libertarian philosophy | Britannica - March 29th, 2021
- libertarianism | Definition, Doctrines, History, & Facts ... - March 25th, 2021
- Education and Naive Libertarianism - National Review - March 25th, 2021
- March 19-21: Libertarian Party of NH convention with keynote from former US Rep. Justin Amash - Manchester Ink Link - March 25th, 2021
- Why We Don't Need Any More "Political" Clubs on Campus The Skidmore News - Skidmore News - March 25th, 2021
- If we don't rediscover our libertarian spirit, the next pandemic will crush us - Telegraph.co.uk - March 25th, 2021
- Is it any surprise Republican men dont want the COVID vaccine? - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- Area business participates in hygiene drive | News, Sports, Jobs - The Express - Lock Haven Express - March 25th, 2021
- Recover the Moral Imperative of Law and Order city-journal.org - City Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Will Prohibitionists Tie The New Conservative Movement To Trump? - The Fresh Toast - March 25th, 2021
- 'Tip of the iceberg': Lawmakers mull domestic terrorism legislation after Capitol riot, other violence - USA TODAY - March 25th, 2021
- Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs announces he will run for reelection in 2022 - Knoxville News Sentinel - March 25th, 2021
- Bidenomics - The Nation - March 3rd, 2021
- Warren, Pressley among Dems pushing to strip police of 'qualified immunity' - Fox News - March 3rd, 2021
- Nick Robinson on 'Silk Road' and Carrying the Torch for 'Jurassic Park' - Hollywood Reporter - March 3rd, 2021
- Wyoming's Voter Registration Numbers Dip By More Than 20K Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 3rd, 2021
- Recollections of Murray on His Ninety-Fifth Birthday - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - March 3rd, 2021
- The New Foreign Flavor of CPACs Red Meat - New York Magazine - February 28th, 2021
- CPAC and the New Republicanism - The New York Times - February 28th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Indiana's response to Secretary of State's resignation - Shelbynews - February 28th, 2021
- Iowa's bad election bill will stifle early voting, micromanage auditors - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- Letter: School voucher programs benefit the wealthy - The Republic - February 28th, 2021
- News - The Bankruptcy of Conservative Political Paternalism - The Heartland Institute - February 18th, 2021
- Rush Limbaugh galvanised and embodied the modern American right - The Economist - February 18th, 2021
- People Of Georgia's 14th Congressional Make Decision Who Will Occupy That Seat - Jamestown Post Journal - February 18th, 2021
- My Take: Here's a unity solution: Have one standard - HollandSentinel.com - February 18th, 2021
- 77 third-party candidates received more votes than the winner's margin of victory in 2020 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - January 29th, 2021
- Empathize with Trump voters? A Progressive and a Libertarian agree to disagree - KUOW News and Information - January 27th, 2021
- STATE: Constitution, Green parties no longer recognized in North Carolina - The Stanly News & Press | The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News... - January 27th, 2021
- Book Review: When A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear, nobody wins (except the reader) - NPI's Cascadia Advocate - January 27th, 2021
- Brennan: Intel Agencies To Probe The 'Bigots' Behind US 'Insurgency' - The Federalist - January 27th, 2021
- The politics of an Auschwitz survivors son - The Boston Globe - January 27th, 2021
- Sedition Cases Against Capitol Rioters 'Will Bear Fruit Very Soon,' Says FBI - Reason - January 27th, 2021
- Former GOP congressman urges Never Trumpers to join Libertarian Party - Washington Times - January 15th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: There are options to political dissatisfaction - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - January 15th, 2021
- The war between Silicon Valley and Washington takes a new turn - POLITICO - January 9th, 2021
- LETTER: Yukon the Libertarian friend of a reindeer? - The News Herald - January 1st, 2021
- 21 Things That Kept Me Going In 2020 - kottke.org - January 1st, 2021
- What Happened?: The 2020 election showed that libertarians have a long way to go before they can become a national movement. - USAPP American Politics... - December 29th, 2020
- My New Year's wish for Sarasotans - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - December 29th, 2020
- Splinter Republican representatives sign "termination of the state" document calling Sununu a 'tyrant' - Concord Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- Theres no right to infect - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 21st, 2020
- The Disastrous Handling of the Pandemic is Libertarianism in Action, Will Americans Finally Say Good Riddance? - CounterPunch - July 21st, 2020
- Justin Amash's Tenure as the Libertarian Party's First Member in Congress Will Be Shortlived - Reason - July 21st, 2020
- You don't have the right to put others at risk by not wearing a mask - Newsday - July 21st, 2020
- The Libertarian Case for Immigration (and Against Trump) - Lawfare - July 21st, 2020
- We have now reached peak Libertarianism and it is literally killing us - AlterNet - July 21st, 2020
- Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian - Washington Examiner - July 21st, 2020
- Are the British conformist or libertarian? Our face mask response is telling - The Guardian - July 21st, 2020
- Chad Blair: There's A High Bar For Legislative Candidates Without A - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 21st, 2020
- 3 highlights from Penn Jillette's Big Think interview on 2020, cancel culture, and friendship - Big Think - July 21st, 2020
- They praise John Lewis but hate Black voting rights and Black Lives Matter. - Mother Jones - July 21st, 2020
- Md. on the Hook for $27K in Legal Fees to Conservative Group - Josh Kurtz - July 21st, 2020
- Why Boris Johnson is having to sacrifice his libertarian values in the battle against coronavirus - Telegraph.co.uk - July 21st, 2020
- Weber Reaffirms Commitment to Preserving 2nd Amendment Rights - TAPinto.net - July 21st, 2020
- Your Illinois News Radar Longshot day at the ISBE - The Capitol Fax Blog - July 21st, 2020
- Those who claim wearing masks to be un-American haven't thought through the problem - KRWG - July 21st, 2020
- N.Y. Primary: Who Is on the Ballot? - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- We Watched the Libertarian Party Vice Presidential Debate So You Didn't Have To - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- That Time the Libertarian Party Debated the Private Ownership of Nuclear Weapons - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- You Dont Have to Like the Decree, But Wear Face Masks Anyway - Bacon's Rebellion - May 27th, 2020
- Justin Amash, Ross Perot and the third-party future: Ranked choice voting is the answer - Salon - May 27th, 2020
- An outbreak anywhere is an outbreak everywhere - Modern Diplomacy - May 14th, 2020
- Libertarian Party To Choose Its Presidential Ticket in Virtual Vote Over Memorial Day Weekend - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Johnson address shows he has been swayed by hawks in his cabinet - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Dershowitz Defends and Criticizes Flynn by Railing Against Entrapment and Fair-Weather Civil Libertarians - Law & Crime - May 11th, 2020