There was once a time when deciding not to have children automatically made you a social pariah. And even as an increasing number of people are choosing not to become parents, the social bias against childfree adults persists.
Birth rates among 20-something women have declined steeplyas millennialsdelay marriage and having kidsin order to focus on things like education, career, personal growth and financial stability. Many others arent having children at all, and the number of women who have chosen to forgo motherhood altogether has doubled since 1970.
Yet many people still consider the decision to forgo parenthood as not only abnormal and surprising, but also morally wrong, suggests new research from Indiana University-Purdue University.
The findings, published in the March issue of Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, show that most people view parenthood as a moral imperative for men and women.
For the study, 204 psychology students at a Midwestern university read a short passage about a married adult and then rated their feelings toward the person and their perception of the persons level of psychological fulfillment. The only details in the passages that changed were the characters gender and whether they had chosen to have kids.
Childfree men and women were consistently viewed as being less personally fulfilled than those who had two children. This is likely due to the fact that the participants reported significantly greater feelings of moral outrage including anger, disgust and disapproval toward the voluntarily childless people.
Perceiving the childfree people as less fulfilled acts as a way of punishing them for violating whats often considered to be both a social norm and a moral imperative,according to study author Dr. Leslie Ashburn-Nardo.
Parenthood is a cultural norm and as with other norms, violations are not looked upon kindly.Research has shown that people who diverge from social role expectations often face backlash from other members of society for defying the unwritten social contract.
Through parentsand peers,people learn that parenthood is both typical and expected,Ashburn-Nardo wrote. Peoplewho violate social role expectations based on widely sharedcultural stereotypes are subject to perceivers backlash, suchas social and economic sanctions and sabotage. This backlashis justified in the minds of perceivers because the targets arethought to have brought it upon themselves by not fulfillingtheir expected roles.
Of course, the fact that childless women are widely discriminated against shouldnt come as news to anyone. Childlessness has been described as the final female taboo,and women who choose not to become mothers are often considered selfish or career-obsessed.Women are still expected to conform to gender stereotypes and are criticized and punished when they dont.
This enduring bias carries real repercussions. A 2011 studyfound that women without children suffer from poorer health, likely thanks to the enduring social stigma against childlessness. Childless people are also discriminated against in the workplace, being subject to less schedule flexibility and fewer tax breaks compared to their co-workers who are parents.
Other research has linked moral outrage to discrimination and interpersonal mistreatment, Ashburn-Nardo said in a statement. Its possible that, to the extent they evoke moral outrage, voluntarily child-free people suffer similar consequences. ... Exploring such outcomes for this demographic is the next step in my research.
Continue reading here:
- Childfree and Childless The Difference - The Good Men Project - May 24th, 2020
- A word for mums who never wanted kids - The Standard - May 24th, 2020
- Child-free women are tired of being told they'll regret it - The Big Smoke Australia - March 23rd, 2020
- Things You Only Know If You're Childless - And Not By Choice - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- 10 Women Look Back On Living Childfree By Choice | SELF - February 28th, 2020
- 5 Things 'Childfree' People Want You To Know | HuffPost Life - February 28th, 2020
- This Is What No One Tells You About Being Child-Free In ... - February 28th, 2020
- Deciding whether to have kids or not is hard, but there is a way forward - ABC News - January 18th, 2020
- Since the age of 5, I've known that I don't want to be a mother - CBC.ca - November 30th, 2019
- 10 top tips to take the stress out of Christmas shopping - Offaly Express - November 30th, 2019
- Im childfree, not childless heres why that difference matters - Stylist Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- 9 Childfree Women Explain What Life Is Like Without Kids ... - August 20th, 2017
- How Not To Be A Dick To Your Childfree Friends - August 11th, 2017
- Calgary bucking national trend of couples with fewer kids, census ... - Calgary Herald - August 5th, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice | KWIT - KWIT - July 28th, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice - KWIT - July 26th, 2017
- Home | Childfree Women UK & Ireland - July 5th, 2017
- Celebrating ChildFreedom on the Fourth of July - HuffPost - July 4th, 2017
- Myths and Facts About Living Childfree - RESOLVE - July 1st, 2017
- Can Everyone On RHONY Stop Shaming Carole Radziwill For Not Having Children? - Refinery29 - June 30th, 2017
- Why am I expected to have children just because I'm a woman? - Irish Times - June 27th, 2017
- Vacation without Children - Childfree Getaways - TripSavvy - June 23rd, 2017
- Why you should go on a child-free vacation - Femina - June 22nd, 2017
- What We Get Wrong About Women Who Don't Have Kids - Refinery29 - June 19th, 2017
- Why Not Wanting Kids Is a Good Enough Reason to Not Have Them - POPSUGAR - June 19th, 2017
- 'Strangers should mind their own business about my child-free status' - Independent.ie - June 9th, 2017
- Overlooking the childfree is a mistake - Spectator.co.uk (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- How People Decide Whether to Have Children - The Atlantic - May 23rd, 2017
- Recognizing Childfree Families On International Family Day - HuffPost - May 17th, 2017
- I Have No Regrets About Choosing To Be Childfree - Huffington Post India - April 23rd, 2017
- Let Them Be Snipped: A Proposal of Ideas - ODU Mace & Crown - April 23rd, 2017
- Ina Garten On Being Childfree: 'It's A Choice And That Was The ... - Huffington Post - April 21st, 2017
- Chrissy Teigen: We Shouldn't 'Assume All Women's Goals Are To Have Kids' - Huffington Post - April 13th, 2017
- The Childfree, Outrage, and Where It Belongs - Huffington Post - April 7th, 2017
- What not to say to couples who don't have children - The Irish Times - Irish Times - March 23rd, 2017
- Childfree: Meet the women who don't want to become mums - ABC Online - March 21st, 2017
- Child-free and OK with it but still dealing with moral scolding and ... - Salon - March 7th, 2017
- Meet The Twenty-Something Childfree Women Fighting To Be Sterilised - Huffington Post UK - March 7th, 2017
- Ugh: Americans Still Think Less of People Without Kids - Glamour - March 6th, 2017
- I had a vasectomy and I have no regrets - Why a lot of people are opting for a child free lifestyle - SDE Entertainment News (satire) (press release)... - February 26th, 2017
- Only One in the World: Pioneering NotMom Summit to Connect Childless & Childfree Women - PR Newswire (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- Why No Kids - We're childfree and happy. You could be too! - February 4th, 2017
- Voluntary childlessness - Wikipedia - February 1st, 2017
- Mommyjacking The Childfree Life - STFU Parents - February 1st, 2017
- Jillian Michaels - Scary Mommy - December 31st, 2016
- Childfreedom - August 10th, 2016
- The Very Sad Childfree Life | Strange Notions - July 31st, 2016
- International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men ... - July 25th, 2016
- Childfree Me Reflections on my choice to be childless - July 3rd, 2016
- The Childfree-by-Choice Pages - June 19th, 2016
- the childfree-by-choice pages [ potpourri ] - June 19th, 2016
- Childfree News - June 17th, 2016
- I Do NOT Want Kids! ( CHILDFREE / KIDFREE dating ) aka ... - June 17th, 2016
- Complete Without Kids: a Childfree by Choice Handbook ... - June 17th, 2016
- Vacation Without Children (Childfree Getaways) - June 16th, 2016
- Childfree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 12th, 2016
- Living Childfree - RESOLVE: The National Infertility ... - June 12th, 2016
- The Childfree Life - June 12th, 2016
- The Childfree Life Index page - June 12th, 2016
- Happily Childfree - June 12th, 2016