The space race is well and truly on with outposts planned for the moon and settlements in preparation for Mars. As of February 2021, there are three separate Mars missions landing on the red planet - China, United Arab Emirates, and the USA. Last weeks awe-inspiring images of the red planet from NASAs Perseverance space rover just shows how much space exploration continues to capture our imagination.
But, as with humans major voyages across the seas some centuries ago on our own planet Earth, the primary focus seems to be on bragging rights and monetising whatever resources are there. Tesla CEO Elon Musk has embedded in the terms of service on its Starlight project that he will not adhere to international law but will create new legislation once on Mars. Based on how he treats the humans that work for him on Earth Im going to hazard a guess that anyone brave, or poor, enough to journey to a planet many years away is not going to have a strong union to ensure they are being treated fairly.
The United States has broken with tradition by leading the Artemis Accords, which critics say carves up the moons resources for participating nations. Prior to this there were two UN led treaties - the Outer Space Treaty and the Moon Treaty. In these agreements the moon and other celestial bodies should be used exclusively for peaceful purposes, their environments should not be disrupted, and the UN should be informed of the location and purpose of any station established on these bodies. Unlike the Artemis Accords, these agreements state that the moon and its natural resources are the common heritage of mankind and that an international regime should be established to govern the exploitation of such resources when such exploitation is about to become feasible.
We are now at a point where we have major decisions to make that will affect the future of humans living in space. The Covid epidemic and climate change are global phenomena that are revealing the systems that, in their best light, bind us together and provide support and at their worst create divisions and suffering for many. We are feeling the effects of colonisation and capitalism that have been weaving threads for hundreds of years and that are harming our planet and our people.
We are moving into space quickly, and in many ways quietly. My guess is that many of us have no idea the scope and scale of what is already taking place above us and how many billions in dollars are being invested.
Along with these capital investments, there are many groups that are looking at the incredible science that takes us into space and helps us learn about our amazing universe; many that are looking at alternate resources for our resource strapped planet; and there are discussions about the incredible engineering and design that will be needed to provide space travel and housing.
Many of us have no idea the scope and scale of what is already taking place above us
In all of this, I have found very few that have talked about the creation of cities in space. Human places where we have families, make friends, cook, read, play sports, worship, paint, write and build. Where we are born, grow, age, and eventually die. The everyday minutiae and the big dreams mixed together. We spend a great deal of time in government in the development of liveable cities. Cities where people work, live and play. Cities that are equitable, inclusive, safe, and secure. Cities that are creative, fun, and allow for human connections. Space communities should be no different. These ideals need to be planned into these spaces as they are being built rather than as an afterthought.
This is where smart cities can weigh in. Across the globe questions about equity, community, governance and digital rights have become a key topic in smart city conversations. We can look to places like Estonia and Barcelona to see human centred ways of approaching space communities. These communities can provide examples of good governance and developing engaged communities. For example, Estonia has declared the internet a human right and has also built citizen focussed government services that are based on trust.
In Barcelona, e-democracy has been implemented where citizens data are both protected and used for their benefit. This includes the citizen participation platform Decidim, which helps citizens, organizations and public institutions self organise democratically at any scale. This will be important as new communities develop in places that are foreign for everyone. Building communities in space will require careful thought and a lot of communication as everyone figures out the new societal norms and rules.
Digital infrastructure and communication will be the primary mode of communication throughout human communities in space including hotels; mining, engineering or communications companies; government science ports such as the International Space Station; medical stations or hospitals as communities grow; entertainment and other social spaces such as recreational facilities; and this is just scratching the surface.
These are areas that smart cities excel in and have been working on for many years - much longer than the term smart city has existed. Again we can look at issues that have arisen around the digital divide and that have been amplified by the Covid-19 pandemic. Fair and equal access to digital tools must be available to all humans in space, no matter what their job is or how much wealth they have. A cleaner or a line cook at a space hotel should have the same ability to communicate with their family members on earth as an astronaut, CEO or celebrity.
So we need to ask, will we build these technological cities based on open, democratic and human principles as originally sought in The Outer Space Treaty or will we succumb to the issues we sometimes are having on Earth with technology in regards to division, authoritarianism, surveillance, and loneliness? The time to think about this is now before a culture is established that will be hard to erase.
- End Times Update 5/15/2021: SNL, the Gas Crisis, and Courtney Stodden - Popdust - May 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk's 'SNL' appearance shows he's the face of EVs beyond Tesla - Mashable SE Asia - May 16th, 2021
- Time for Infosec Professionals' Imaginations to Stretch to Outer Space - Infosecurity Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Elon Musk's first name shows up in 1953 book about colonizing Mars - CNET - May 9th, 2021
- The Final Fate of Elon Musk in Seven Secrets #8? [Preview] - Bleeding Cool News - May 9th, 2021
- Scientists claim to have seen fungi on Mars - Mediarun Search - May 9th, 2021
- How much is the space race worth? - Three fold Online - May 9th, 2021
- SpaceX's Elon Musk hosting 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend - Space.com - May 7th, 2021
- SpaceX completes another Starship prototype flight, this time with no explosion on landing - Anchorage Daily News - May 7th, 2021
- "The idea of inhabiting Mars is merely fanciful fiction" says commenter - Dezeen - April 15th, 2021
- Musician Grimes Is Ready for Space Travel With Full Back Alien Scar Tattoo - autoevolution - April 15th, 2021
- The Final Frontier Will Be a Profitable Frontier - InvestorPlace - April 15th, 2021
- Elon Musk is an alien who tries to escape from earth, bizarre theory goes viral on internet - IBTimes India - April 13th, 2021
- Epic NASAs Ingenuity Helicopter Poised to Forever Change the Way We Explore Other Planets - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - April 11th, 2021
- Did it Come From Outer Space? Debris washes ashore in Lincoln County - St. Helens Chronicle - April 11th, 2021
- To the moon: Greetings and a message from young Iroquois earthlings - GoErie.com - April 11th, 2021
- Director Neil Burger's 'Voyagers' launches a colony ship to the stars - Space.com - April 11th, 2021
- Meet the new director of ASU's Institute for Humanities Research - ASU Now - April 11th, 2021
- Boeing v SpaceX: the rivalry shaping the future of space exploration - The National - April 11th, 2021
- Moon Exploration: Why China and Russia are Teaming Up for a Lunar Base - Science Times - April 11th, 2021
- The race for space colonisation and limitless wealth is already here - TRT World - March 31st, 2021
- "The Expanse" offers a realistic depiction of space colonization - Axios - March 31st, 2021
- We Shouldn't Invoke Colonialist Language To Justify Missions To the Cosmos - The Wire Science - March 31st, 2021
- What happened to water on Mars? - Brantford Expositor - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk says the SpaceX Starship will get to Mars 'well before' 2030 - Daily Express - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk shows off SpaceX's 1st Starship Super Heavy booster - Space.com - March 21st, 2021
- The Green Space | Elon Musk and Ecomasculinity - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 21st, 2021
- Where did the waters of Mars go? Underground. Maybe Martian life did, too. - SYFY WIRE - March 21st, 2021
- NASA Perseverance Rover Officially Shares the Sounds of Driving on Mars - Science Times - March 21st, 2021
- NASA: Unknown bacteria found on the ISS - and it could help with the move to Mars - Daily Express - March 21st, 2021
- Inside The First-Ever Luxury Space Hotel Thats Set to Open in 2027 - The Manual - March 21st, 2021
- 'In space, you know the physics of how you're going to die': Kate Greene - E&T Magazine - March 21st, 2021
- Humans on Mars by 2050? We Might Have Liftoff - Architecture and Design - March 21st, 2021
- The Expanse Team Unpacks Its Abuse Storylines in Season 5 - Observer - March 21st, 2021
- If Elon Musk makes it to Mars, then what? These are the hurdles for humans who wish to live on the Red Planet - MarketWatch - March 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is the Ultimate Villain in the Korean Sci-Fi Film Space Sweepers - TheStranger.com - March 16th, 2021
- Hopes and Dreams of Mars - Splice Today - March 5th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is Creating a City in Texas. It Will Be Called Starbase and It Will Be Ruled by 'The Doge' - Entrepreneur - March 5th, 2021
- Opinion: The Perseverance rover landing on Mars is a giant leap toward human colonization of space - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 3rd, 2021
- NASA Mars mission: Perseverance to begin search for life on Red Planet - Daily Express - March 3rd, 2021
- Why are humans so obsessed with Mars? - Livemint - March 3rd, 2021
- Perseverance - The Mars Rover - Fiorella Beausang-Hunter - Latymer Upper School - This is Local London - March 3rd, 2021
- The Avid Reader: A trip into the universe - Monadnock Ledger Transcript - March 3rd, 2021
- The Expanse season five kicks off slowly - The Prospector - March 3rd, 2021
- Mission to Mars: New rover to aid in human colonization (Part 1) - Yahoo News - February 22nd, 2021
- Colonize and live on Mars thanks to cyanobacteria? - Innovation Origins - February 22nd, 2021
- Why the red planet captures our imagination in movies and books - WTOP - February 22nd, 2021
- New app brings Mars exploration closer to life on Earth - The First News - February 22nd, 2021
- A six-wheeled, Mini-sized rover is currently parked on Mars - Top Gear - February 22nd, 2021
- Greta Thunberg's ironic video of the colonization of Mars within hours of the arrival of NASA's Perseverance rover - Explica - February 22nd, 2021
- Elon Musk faces rejection by French villagers as they deny permission to install antennas - Republic TV - February 22nd, 2021
- NASA lands Perseverance rover: Why going to Mars ought to matter to you - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - February 22nd, 2021
- The UAE Probe 'Hope' Has Successfully Reached Mars - ExtremeTech - February 10th, 2021
- Elon Musk's Mars plan rocked as SpaceX CEO fears humans will 'self-extinguish' before 2050 - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Hilltown internet coverage is expanding, but affordability is still a concern - The Altamont Enterprise - February 10th, 2021
- Cybernauts Called to PLANETXXI to Save Planet Earth - Send2Press Newswire - February 10th, 2021
- Meet the team behind the brains: LoyolaMARS students talk all things aerospace - Los Angeles Loyolan - February 6th, 2021
- Someone Tell Elon Musk That Bandanas Aren't Face Masks - Highsnobiety - February 6th, 2021
- Is Our Whole World Just a Simulation? Enter A Glitch in the Matrix - Vanity Fair - February 6th, 2021
- Andre Drummond backs Elon Musk, campaigning Dogecoin to pump to the moon - Cavaliers Nation - February 6th, 2021
- If You Loved Greedfall, Try These 3 Games Like It - KeenGamer News - February 6th, 2021
- Robinhood Screwed Its Users But Is More Popular Than Ever - VICE - February 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk reveals ambitious plans to get humans to Mars seven years ahead of NASA - Republic World - February 2nd, 2021
- Is there life on Mars? Not if we destroy it with poor space hygiene - The Guardian - February 2nd, 2021
- How Elon Musk and a Mission to Mars Might Boost Internet Speeds in Rural Kansas - kansaspublicradio.org - February 2nd, 2021
- Elon Musk Thinks Memes are 'Complex' Form of Communication. He Even Has a 'Dealer' for Regular Supply - News18 - February 2nd, 2021
- Josh app expands its musical library with 1.3 lakh songs from Saregama in 25 different languages - Business Insider India - February 2nd, 2021
- Experts warn of brewing space mining war among US, China and Russia - MINING.COM - MINING.com - February 2nd, 2021
- 10 Old Sci-Fi Movies That Take Place In The Present Time Period - Screen Rant - February 2nd, 2021
- SpaceX Is Launching Its Giant Starship SN9 Prototype, The Next Step To Visiting Mars - Observer - January 27th, 2021
- Axiom names first private crew paying $55 million for a trip to the ISS - The Verge - January 27th, 2021
- This Is Why You Must Never Try And Colonize A Super-Earth Planet - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- Redout: Space Assault brings the nostalgic joys of Starfox to Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Switch and PC - TheXboxHub - January 27th, 2021
- Global foreign investment falls by 42% | Govit-19 - haveeruonline - January 27th, 2021
- Big Ben-sized space rock among FIVE headed this way, as scientist proposes humans COLONIZE asteroid belt itself - RT - January 27th, 2021
- Top Executives Like Elon Musk And Steve Jobs Are 64% More Likely To Set This Type Of Goal - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- The Expanse Drummer Actor On The Show's Respectful Polyamory Representation - Screen Rant - January 27th, 2021
- Elon Musk Will Fund Mars Colonization By Selling His Possessions - WebProNews - January 17th, 2021
- ISS astronauts ate space-grown radishes for the first time - The Burn-In - January 5th, 2021
- Learning what it takes to grow a space garden - MSUToday - December 30th, 2020