In her early days at Gombe, Jane Goodall spent many hours sitting on a high peak with binoculars or a telescope, searching the forest below for chimpanzees. Learn more about Goodalls groundbreaking behavioral research at Becoming Jane: The Evolution of Dr. Jane Goodall, an exhibition organized by National Geographic and the Jane Goodall Institute. The exhibition is open at the National Geographic Museum in Washington, D.C. from Nov. 22, 2019 through summer 2020. Photograph by Jane Goodall, Jane Goodall Institute.
THEATER Playwright Ken Ludwig found inspiration from his parents story for his newest play, Dear Jack, Dear Louise, which has its world premiere at Arena Stage. Two faraway strangersa U.S. Army Captain physician stationed in Oregon and an aspiring dancer and actress in New York Cityexchange love letters during World War II. Through December 29. $41-$95.
MUSICThough Blues-rock singer/songwriter Stephen Ray Vaughan died in a helicopter crash in 1990, you can still hear his tunes live. Blues band Moonshine Society will perform his 1984Couldnt Stand the Weather in its entirety at Pearl Street Warehouse; the album mixes Vaughans originals with covers such as Jimi Hendrixs Voodoo Child. Free, 8 PM.
MUSEUMS Learn more about Jane Goodalls work with chimpanzees at the National Geographic Museums hands-on exhibit Becoming Jane: The Evolution of Dr. Jane Goodall. See images from Goodalls work and venture into a replica of her research tent. The exhibit also includes aa life-size hologram of Dr. Goodall and a 3D exploration of the park in Tanzania where she did her research. Through Summer 2020. $15.
SHOPPING Now in its 15th year, Downtown Holiday Market has been a staple of Chinatown with a rotating group of exhibitors. Find a unique handmade giftfrom paintings and photography to jewelry, ceramics, and candlesor just enjoy the mini-donuts and other foods as you browse. Through December 23. Free to attend, 12 PM to 8 PM.
EXPERIENCE Walk through a Christmas light maze at Nationals Parkin search of a missing reindeer. The maze is90,000 square feet with a 100 foot tall lighted pine tree as the centerpiece. The event also includes a Christmas market and ice skating trail. Through December 29. $19.99-$33.99.
MUSEUMS Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai is best known for his renown painting Great Wave Off the Coast of Kanagawa, but he was extremely prolific beyond just that piece. Charles Lang Freer gathered the worlds largest collection of Hokusais works, which will be on display at the Freer|Sackler Galleries for close to a year. In addition to Hokusais paintings, see the artists drawings for woodblock prints (hanshita-e), folding screens, and hanging scrolls in the exhibit Hokusai: Mad About Painting. Through November 8, 2020.
DANCE The Nutcracker is a holiday staple; The Washington Ballet takes the Tchaikovsky score and re-sets the story in 1882 Georgetown with George Washington as the nutcracker and houseguests such as Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman. November 23-24 at THEARC, $30-$55. November 30 December 29 at the Warner Theatre, $31-$200.
LECTURE The National Gallery of Arts current exhibit The Eye of the Sun: Nineteenth-Century Photographs from the National Gallery of Art shows the development of photography in its first 50 years. The gallery is hosting a lecture on Sunday that specifically explores the roles that women played in those early years; hear about the types of jobs women had in the field and how photography changed throughout the 1800s up to the advent of the Kodak Girl as a marketing campaign in the 1890s. Free, 2 PM.
SHOPPING Get a jump start on your holiday shopping while sipping beer at Port City Brewings first Alexandria Makers Market. In addition to goods from Alexandria-based crafters and designers, there will be a few DIY workshops where visitors can get hands-on and crafty themselves. Learn how to brew bath bombs and makehand-letter ornaments. Free to attend (workshops require tickets, $25-$48), noon to 6 PM.
Join the conversation!
- 'Where Do We Go from Here?': On the Future of Arab Futurism - Palestine Chronicle - March 9th, 2020
- Scientists Say Ancient Earth Was Completely Covered in Water - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- CRISPR Scientists Hack Patient's Genes in Bid to Cure Blindness - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Q&A: James Hamblin, MD on Why You're Likely to Get the Coronavirus - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk: New Self-Driving Features Will Come Out This Month - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- New Theory Could Explain Exoplanets With "Density of Cotton Candy" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Anti-Coke Lawsuit: "Plastic Is Set to Outweigh Fish in the Ocean" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- The importance of lifelong learning in the future of work - Fast Company - March 9th, 2020
- This Futuristic Tire Concept Regrows Its Tread by Popping a Pill - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Economist: Springfield is 'on the cusp.' Here's what it needs to do to take the next step. - News-Leader - February 27th, 2020
- Here's a Glossary for the Ongoing Coronavirus Outbreak's Vocab - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Humanitys media habits shifted radically in the 2010s. What do the 2020s hold? - Digital Trends - February 27th, 2020
- Space Force Working "Pretty Closely With Elon Musk and SpaceX" - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The Pentagon Just Simulated a Nuclear War With Russia - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Deadly Coronavirus May Be Spreading Through Poop - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Japan Gives the 'Go' to Sample Return Mission to Mars Moon - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Carmakers Expected to Roll Out Wireless Car Chargers This Year - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Artificial and Biological Neurons Just Talked Over the Internet - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Editors letter: How to predict whats coming in 2030 and beyond - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- What in Tarnation Is This "SpaceX Village" by the Starship Launch Site - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Guy Builds Rocket to Prove Earth Is Flat, Crashes It, Dies - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Report: Two-Thirds of Coronavirus Infections May Be Undetected - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The professionals who predict the future for a living - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- Futurist Ray Kurzweil Says He Can Bring His Dead Father ... - February 12th, 2020
- What Does The Future Of Human Resources Look Like? | Inc.com - February 12th, 2020
- What is Futurism? Italy's Art Movement that Love Speed and Technology - My Modern Met - February 12th, 2020
- NASA Snaps Photo of Epic Dust Devil on the Surface of Mars - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- App Checks Whether You've Come in Contact With Deadly Coronavirus - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Watch a Mother Reunite With Her Deceased Child in VR - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Plans Are Moving Ahead to Open a Space Hotel Attached to the ISS - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Landing Will Cost About $35 Billion - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Brand Continues To Infuse Futurism With The Meta-Morph Utility - Sneaker News - February 12th, 2020
- Watch a Cybertruck Replace the DeLorean in "Back to the Future" - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Iran Tries to Pass Off $20 Walmart Costume as Space Suit - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- University Chancellor Predicts "Higher Forms of Life" on Europa - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- UN Secretary-General: "A Wind of Madness Is Sweeping the Globe" - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- LET'S TALK: You, me and the ex-royals won't enjoy any privacy - Arkansas Online - January 27th, 2020
- Predictiveness Pays: 5 Steps to Thinking Like a Futurist - Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) - January 25th, 2020
- Inside Dubai's Quest to be the First Blockchain-Powered City - Futurism - January 25th, 2020
- Sharks Are Evolving to Walk on Land - Futurism - January 25th, 2020
- Predictions for the 2020s, From a Futurist, a Trend Forecaster and an Astrologer - Vogue - January 18th, 2020
- Tullio Crali: A Futurist Life review a head-on revelation - The Guardian - January 18th, 2020
- Meet the futurist with 2020 vision - Sydney Morning Herald - January 18th, 2020
- These Researchers Want You to Live In a Fungus Megastructure - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Scientists Create "Living Concrete" That Can Heal Itself - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Scientists: Ocean Warming at the Rate of Five A-Bombs per Second - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- 2020 Real Estate Newsmakers: The Achievers and the Futurists - RisMedia.com - January 18th, 2020
- The Roots Young Futurists 2020: Nominate the Leaders Who Are Ready to Change the World - The Root - January 18th, 2020
- MIT Suspends Another Professor for Epstein Ties - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Fossil fuel issues, nanobots, and the end of work as we know it - Kemmerer Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Trump Demands That Apple Give Government Access to iPhones - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- SpaceX Is Delivering Cannabis to the Space Station - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Elon Musk Is Talking About Powering All of America with Solar - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Middle Eastern Nation First to Buy Drone Armed With Machine Gun - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Virgil Abloh Merges Fashion and Futurism with the Louis Vuitton Men's 2054 Collection - Ocean Drive Magazine - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Terrifying Creeps Hack Ring Cameras and Spy on Families - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Study: Many Extreme Weather Events Were Caused by Climate Change - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- End of the world: This futurist has some grim news for the middle class - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist Predicts "The End of the World as We Know It" - Futurism - December 9th, 2019
- Avoiding the 'Robocalypse' - CFO Magazine - December 9th, 2019
- Blockland Solutions Conference is underway at the Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland - Crain's Cleveland Business - December 9th, 2019
- Its 2071, and We Have Bioengineered Our Own Extinction - The New York Times - December 9th, 2019
- Young Bomberg and the Old Masters at the National Gallery: the Renaissance influences on an East End radical - inews - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist, Cathy Hackl, Named Top Voice in Tech by LinkedIn for 2nd Year in a Row - PRNewswire - December 6th, 2019
- Futurist sees the end of the world as we know it for average person - Haaretz - December 6th, 2019
- SpaceX Is Sending Super-Muscular Mice to the Space Station - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- 19 Newly Discovered Galaxies Appear to Be Missing Dark Matter - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- Interview: Shaping the future - The Actuary - December 6th, 2019
- 'The Future of X' Turns to Collaboration in the Workplace. Tune In - OZY - December 6th, 2019
- The inspirations of Shafi Ahmed surgeon, teacher and futurist - Director magazine - November 30th, 2019
- New Zealand Opens World's First HIV-Positive Sperm Bank - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Dubai is Adding Tesla Cybertrucks to its Police Car Fleet - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- New Calculations: Black Holes Could Have Thousands of Planets - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Web Inventor Unveils Plan to Save the Web - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Can a computer have intuition? - Verizon Communications - November 30th, 2019
- Futurist: Channel Has To Remove Friction To Cloud 2.0 Adoption - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- MSPs Will Help Enable The 'Virtualization Of The World,' Says Futurist - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- Tech and futurism drive iconic car event's appeal - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2019
- This Electric Toothbrush Uses AI Because Nothing is Sacred Anymore - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- This Rocky World With Three Suns May Have an Atmosphere - Futurism - October 28th, 2019