Moodys Analytics analyzed U.S. metro areas capabilities for a strong recovery post-coronavirus using two primary factors:population density and educational attainment.
The most dynamic recoveries may well bypass traditional powerhouses and take place instead in areas that [werent] poised to lead the way in 2020 before everything changed, wrote Adam Kamins, senior regional economist at Moodys Analytics.
The report examined the top 100 metro areas in the U.S. The metros poised to recover quickly based on the analysis included San Jose, California; Durham, North Carolina; Austin, Texas; Seattle; and Minneapolis.
These cities appear above the best-fit line in the regression analysis below, and lean towards the top left.
(Graphic: David Foster/Yahoo Finance)
Kamins believed that the twin factors of low population density and educational attainment were going to boost these metro areas.
A key difference between this recovery and the last recovery is the population density, he explained. It's going to have a different effect this time than it did last time.
During the Global Financial Crisis, the first place is out of the recession were big densely populated global cities, he explained. But this time, depending on the duration and the eventual outcome of the COVID-19 outbreak, Kamins believed that big densely populated cities are going to be viewed as inherently risky.
So some of the places that we're really looking at now would be places that have high degrees of educational attainment but are lower density [that] have grown very, very well over the last five or six years in particular, are pretty well positioned coming out of this whenever we do, he said.
A general view of the Duke University Chapel on the Duke University campus on March 4, 2016 in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo: Lance King/Getty Images)
Economies built around a major university, such as Durham, North Carolina, and Madison, Wisconsin, could enjoy a surge in growth in the years to come, Kamins wrote in his report.
At the same time, with the coronavirus pandemic putting pressure on colleges finances and with enrollment dropping, could that reliable ingredient to the recovery recipe be in peril?
You could see possibly where we get in a situation four or five years down the road where the pool of available first year workers that have recently graduated colleges is less than usual, Kamins said. But there's just hope at that point you're in a recovery or expansion anyway, and it just creates more labor market tightness, especially at the entry level.
Denver, Salt Lake City, and Washington D.C. were also noted as positioned for a relatively quick recovery.D.C. in particular was an interesting case, Kamins explained: Thats one where I think that was more a function of just as population density being a lot lower than other kind of Northeastern cities.
Two cities that surprised him were Des Moines, Iowa, and Omaha, Nebraska.
They're not places that you think of as sort of prestigious economies theyre somewhat isolated in terms of where they are relative to the rest of the U.S., Kamins said. But both of those actually have a pretty strong financial services sector, a fairly well educated population, especially compared to the kind of surrounding regions at lots of opportunity to kind of spread out.
And especially if the trade war with China recedes from memory under a new administration, the farm sectors in those cities could be poised to benefit well.
The skyline of Des Moines, Iowa, is seen as people prepare to head to their caucuses in February 2020. (Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
On the flip side, cities facing headwinds on the road to recovery are the names we are most familiar with, Kamins wrote.
For instance, New York Citys greatest asset is a large, skilled workforce that is drawn to the fast-paced and highly interactive nature of life in the Big Apple, he explained. But activities such as riding the subway, dining in crowded restaurants, and attending Broadway shows may be viewed as inherently risky for some time, consistent with the city's status asthe single-most economically exposed metro area or division.
Times Square is seen nearly empty as daily life continues amid the coronavirus outbreak on May 08 2020 in New York City. (Photo by John Lamparski/Getty Images)
Boston, Miami, Las Vegas, and San Francisco could also see some tough challenges ahead. These cities generally appear below the line and lean towards the bottom right in the map above.
Places like San Francisco, Miami, are very high on the list, Kamins said, adding that tourist hotspots like Las Vegas were also in this group because its economy is almost completely shuttered right now and will be for some time as both leisure travel and business travel dry out.
And while big cities are likely to be able to eventually recover, out-migration may pick up, Kamins added, the generation that is growing up today could remember the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic [and eventually] opt for less densely packed pastures in the decades to come.
Would this sort of financial pressure lead some states or cities to opt for a bankruptcy route? Kamins said that it was too soon to tell, but there were signs to watch.
What we would be looking for would be states where the impact is going to be very severe, he explained.
For instance, a state like Illinois has above average exposure, because Chicago [has] densely populated urban characteristics, Kamins said. And the fiscal situation for that state [will be] extremely problematic.
Aarthi is a writer for Yahoo Finance covering consumer finance and higher education. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter@aarthiswami.
Read the latest financial and business news from Yahoo Finance
Follow Yahoo Finance onTwitter,Facebook,Instagram,Flipboard,SmartNews,LinkedIn,YouTube, andreddit.
Here is the original post:
- How to add contacts to your Yahoo Mail account manually in 2 ways - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Donald Trump: Drew Brees will 'regret' apologizing after comments on national anthem protests - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Whitewashed and erased': There's a reason Juneteenth isn't taught in schools, educators say - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- The controversial ice cream changing its 'derogatory' name - Yahoo News Australia - June 20th, 2020
- From '100 percent' to 'a disaster': A timeline on how MLB's season has been pushed to the brink - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- The Future of Stadiums: How will America's sports venues be transformed by the pandemic? - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Into The Wild' bus removed from Alaska wilderness - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fact-checking claims it might have started in August 2019 - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Tucker Carlson warns that Black Lives Matter is 'more popular than the president' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 20th, 2020
- How a filmmaker's zero-budget horror topped the box office in virus-hit America - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Meet the Su-25: Russia's Sort-of A-10 Warthog - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- University of Virginia changes logo, removing design linked to school's history with slavery - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- Travelers accused of breaking quarantine set to leave Hawaii - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Uncle Ben's rice: 'Now is the right time' to change - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Some out-of-work Americans are waiting in line overnight hoping to get their claims processed - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Trump on coronavirus testing: If we stopped testing right now, wed have very few cases, if any - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Drew Brees addresses NFL players kneeling in 2020: 'I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck offers thoughts on NBA's 22-team return plan - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Trump says the economy will cure the 'very sad problem' of police killing blacks - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Italy hopes EU nations will open borders to Italians from June 15 - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- May's jobs report surprise masked weaknesses that could make the rebound a 'head fake' - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- For the first time, Mexico records more COVID-19 deaths in a day than the U.S. - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- J.C. Penney to Proceed With DIP Financing - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- How this week changed America forever - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- People have been frightened to go back to hospitals and clinics: UCLA Hospital System CEO - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Enraged New York driver who chased protesters with blades attached to arm is arrested - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- George W. Bush calls on US to examine its 'tragic failures' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wall St. pro says the current rally reminds him of March 2009 - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Oils Recovery Is Being Threatened by the Discord Rattling OPEC+ - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Eye of the storm: African Development Bank chief Akinwumi Adesina - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Gregg Popovich unleashes fiery statement on Trump: 'What we have is a fool in place of a president' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Breaking with party, GOP senator says rebuke of Trump 'necessary' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Fired watchdog tells Congress he informed top officials about probe into Pompeo and wife - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Detained US Navy veteran freed by Iran as part of deal - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- 'Tiger King' update: Sheriff says will of Carole Baskin's late husband Don Lewis was forged - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2020
- On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in Normandy - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wearing Face Masks and Social Distancing Actually Work to Contain COVID-19, According to a New Study - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Denver police ordered to stop using tear gas and plastic bullets in protests - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Postcards from the edge: Snapshots of European football's return - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- FBI's top lawyer, Dana Boente, ousted amid Fox News criticism for role in Flynn investigation - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Damian Lillard doesnt plan to participate in resumed NBA season if Blazers don't have true opportunity to make playoffs - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- Andy Cohen rehomed beloved dog after 'incident' with son: 'A piece of my heart is gone' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Trump's draft executive order targeting social media companies sparks battle inside the White House - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Dave Matthews speaks out during live-stream about George Floyd and police brutality: 'It is shameful' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Zion Williamson files for protective order from demand he admit receiving illegal benefits at Duke - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- One of the coldest places on Earth is experiencing a record-breaking heat wave - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Walmart stores suffer damage from George Floyd protests and looting several hundred forced to close early - Yahoo Finance - June 1st, 2020
- Dragon-riding astronauts join exclusive inner circle at NASA - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- EU urges U.S. to reconsider decision to cut ties with WHO - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 cases may be more common than suspected - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Turner: 'The Match' was most-watched golf event in cable history - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- If Kevin Stefanski can't turn around Baker Mayfield who is 'way more talented' than Kirk Cousins Browns are in trouble - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- China-India border: Why tensions are rising between the neighbours - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Kentucky Basketball: Where the Wildcats stand in Yahoo NBA Mock Draft - A Sea Of Blue - June 1st, 2020
- Oil Trades at Six-Week High on Supply Cuts and Demand Recovery - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- FBI serves warrant on senator in investigation of stock sales linked to coronavirus - Yahoo Parenting - May 15th, 2020
- Man and woman 'found walking on road with body parts in suitcases' - Yahoo News Australia - May 15th, 2020
- Moscow says it ascribed over 60% of coronavirus deaths in April to other causes - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Ahmaud Arbery's killing was heinous, but it wasn't a surprise - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- The pandemic may have solved MLB's most polarizing debate: Get ready for the universal DH - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Philippines evacuates hundreds of thousands as typhoon makes landfall - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Scientists want to investigate if mouthwash kills the infection - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 15th, 2020
- Former MLB manager Art Howe in ICU with coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Surviving the coronavirus is one thing. Recovering is another - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Why 14.7% unemployment doesnt tell the whole story: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- TSMC to Build Chip Plant in Arizona With Government Support - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 14th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What American workers should know about their rights as the economy reopens - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Companies are dropping big hints about the 'new normal' once coronavirus lockdowns end - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Wuhan reopened last month. Now, new coronavirus infections spark mass testing and renewed fears - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Why this inactive slugger might be MLB's highest-paid player in 2020 - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Goodbye offices? Working from home might be here to stay - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Ahmaud Arbery: What do we know about the case? - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul: Pandemic Response Marred by Wrong Prediction after Wrong Prediction - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- UFC 249 delivers a welcome distraction from pandemic-afflicted world - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- 'More than sufficient probable cause' in US killing of black jogger - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Jerry Stiller's death has a baseball star from the 1990s unexpectedly trending - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Sources: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says 'there will be a series of bad options' regarding continuation of season - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Supreme Court appears split on whether Congress and prosecutors can see Trump's tax returns - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Tom Brady slams report claiming his relationship with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels had deteriorated - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020