With rising geopolitical concerns, record unemployment and technology advancing faster than ever, it has never been more crucial for working professionals to stay ahead of the curve.
As a futurist who has helped more than 1,000 organizations adapt to change and uncertainty, I've found that, while hard skills remain important, there are five forward-thinking and often ignored soft skills that are crucial for staying relevant and equipped for a rapidly changing workforce.
Here are the skills to master before 2021, along with free online courses that can help you build upon them:
Futurist thinking is the ability to predict events and trends, and how they might impact your industry and professional development.
While this is a skill that remarkably few people have developed, it's important to note that futuristic thinking doesn't require a Ph.D. At the very least, it's about staying abreast of potential changes and thinking outside the box.
Recommended free course: Ready, Set, Future! Introduction to Futures Thinking,Highlights: Build your understanding of what futurist thinking is, how to collect and analyze signals of change, and identify historical shifts in the past to predict new changes in the future.
(Another course I highly recommend is The Future After Covid, which has received great reviews. Please note that it does charge a $495 fee.)
Even if you're not in a managerial role, developing leadership skills has never been more important. In fact, studies show that those with such skills are more likely to get a raise, promoted, or selected to take on additional responsibilities.
It's important to note that leadership isn't just about managing a team. It's also about having the courage to do things like:
Recommended free course: What Great Leaders DoCost: FreeHighlights: In this lecture that parallels his book, "Good Boss, Bad Boss," Stanford professor Bob Sutton unpacks the best habits of beloved and effective managers, and details the worst practices of those who fail to lead.
With the emergence of artificial intelligence and machine learning, the ability to recognize, understand and manage not just your own emotions, but also those of others, has become one of the top skills employers look for.
Strong emotional intelligence skills allow us to understand and interact with our feelings in a way that helps us build quality relationships and make decisions effectively.
Recommended free course: Develop Your Emotional IntelligenceHighlights: Taking a single online course won't make you an EQ whiz overnight; it takes patience, practice and commitment. But this introductory program, which explores the components of emotional intelligence and how it can be applied at work, is a great place to start.
In a world where communication is mostly taking place on digital platforms such as Slack or Zoom, knowing how to speak clearly and interact with others is key to maintaining interpersonal relationships, successful problem-solving and managing conversations.
Keep in mind that this skill isn't just about what you say or type to one another, but it's also about active listening and being attuned to feelings.
Recommended free course: Improving Communication SkillsHighlights: Taught by award-winning Wharton professor Maurice Schweitzer, you'll build on key communication skills such as how to develop trust, be persuasive, ask thoughtful questions, engage in active listening, and choose the right medium (e.g., videoconferences, phone calls, or emails) for your messages.
According to a reportfrom the World Economic Forum that looked at the future of jobs across nine different industries in 15 of the world's largest economies, employers will soon be placing more emphasis on cognitive abilities like creativity and adaptability.
Those withcognitive flexibility skills are energized by change and adapt quickly and readily to the unknown. They enjoy experimenting with new things and are able to consider multiple concepts simultaneously.
Recommended free course: Introduction to Cognitive Psychology: An Experimental ScienceHighlights: Knowledge cannot be fully digested if the information is presented out of context. The exercises in this course will not only teach you how to understand complex concepts, but also how to apply them in different settings.
Scott Steinberg is a futurist, keynote speaker on business trends, and bestselling author of "Fast >> Forward," "Think Like a Futurist," "Make Change Work for You" and "Becoming Essential." He is also an award-winning strategic consultant and has been named by Fortune magazine as a leading expert on innovation.
Correction: This article has been updated to show that the Future After Covid course charges a $495 fee.
- Expert: We Could Vaccinate Everyone on Earth and Not Eliminate the Coronavirus - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- The US Army Is Testing an Auto-Aiming Part of Its "Iron Man" Suit - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- China Is Sending a Mission to Study the Sun - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- New Gene Therapy Reverses Aging in Mice - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Space Station Captures Amazing Footage of Lightning From Above - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Professional Gamer Retires After Career-Ending Injury to Thumb - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Fourth Annual Shape of the Region Conference - Prince William Living - January 25th, 2021
- Engineering can contribute to a reimagining of the US public health system | The Conversation - News-Herald.com - January 25th, 2021
- The companies making the most essential smart home gadgets - Quartz - January 25th, 2021
- FUTURIST: Our choices can save lives over the next six months - December 19th, 2020
- Ford futurist: 2020 brought more stress than ever but ... - December 19th, 2020
- This 'futurist-in-chief' says gaming could be bigger than the physical economy - CNN - December 19th, 2020
- Darwinism, Storytelling, and the Futurist ET Myth - Discovery Institute - December 19th, 2020
- Report: Electric Cars Could Be Cheaper Than Gas Ones in Just 2 Years - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- SpaceX's Next Starship Prototype Could be Headed to Launch Pad on Thursday - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- NASA Says It Will Fly a Canadian to the Moon - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Surgeons Who Operate on Their Birthday Appear to Kill Way More Patients - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Creator of Twin Peaks and Velvet Taco gets new CEO, new identity, new focus - Restaurant Business Online - December 19th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Missing 40 Percent of the Universe's Matter - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- New Evidence: There Was Another Planet in the Solar System That Escaped - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Found a Way to Make Infrared Light Visible to Humans - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Neo-Futurists: bringing theatre further into the future - North by Northwestern - November 7th, 2020
- Walmart Is Giving Up on Its Inventory Robots - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- US Government Seizes $1 Billion in Silk Road Bitcoin - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists in Japan Build Robot to Hold Hands With Lonely People - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- MIT Algorithm Detects COVID-19 in the Sound of Your Cough - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- If This COVID-Blocking Nasal Spray Works on Humans, It Could Change the Course of the Pandemic - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Amazon Patent Makes the Most Horrible Gamers Play With Each Other - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Starlink Beta Has Outperformed Most Internet in the US - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- These are the Skills and Mindsets of the Leader of the Future - Entrepreneur - November 7th, 2020
- Our Soil is Poised To Release Billions of Tons of Carbon - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Martian Meteorites Show Red Planet Had Water Billions of Years Ago - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Futurist art movement tried its hand at cooking, with unappetizing results - The A.V. Club - September 26th, 2020
- What could our lives be like in 2025? Futurists think Americans may eat, fly and go to school differently post-COVID - USA TODAY - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Find First-Ever Planet in Another Galaxy - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Motorcycle Rental Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - Verdant News - September 26th, 2020
- Global Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (OSAT) Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario -... - September 26th, 2020
- Earth Appears to Be Capturing a Tiny New Moon - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Floating Wind Turbines Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Beijing motor show - Infiniti QX60 preview | Automotive Industry Analysis - just-auto.com - September 26th, 2020
- Life May Have Hopped From Earth to Venus on Asteroid, Scientists Say - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Tesla's "Plaid" Model S is Real and It's Fast as Hell - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Russia Wants to Be the First to Shoot a Movie In Space - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The International Space Station Had to Dodge a Piece of Space Junk Last Night - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The new concept from Great Wall was similar to the Volga - The Times Hub - September 26th, 2020
- NASA Is Heading to the Far Side of the Moon to Study the Ancient Universe - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Spot Bits of Entirely Different Asteroid on Surface of Bennu - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Proved That Crows Have Conscious Experiences - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- NASA and the US Space Force Are Officially Teaming Up - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Discover "Pi Earth" Planet That Orbits Every 3.14 Days - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- SETI Team Increases Number of Stars That Might Host Life by 200x - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Fauci: We Could Cut Trials Short and Give Out COVID Vaccine "Right Now" - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans Wakanda: Afro-Futurism Is in the Present - Common Dreams - September 4th, 2020
- Scientists Are Running Out of Primates to Test Vaccines On - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- What Goes Right and Wrong When We Predict a High-Tech Future - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - September 4th, 2020
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Exact Center of the Solar System - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- When Futurism Meets With Disaster: Max Brooks' Devolution - tor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Extremely Dubious Scientist Believes There's Mushrooms and Lichen on Mars - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Forest Fire Was So Huge, NASA Spotted It From Space - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Ways Brands Can Take Meaningful Action During This Time - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- NASA Invents Wearable That Scolds You For Touching Your Face - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Researchers Say You Can Improve Your Eyesight by Staring at This Specific Type of Light - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Even With Insurance, the COVID Drug Remdesivir Is Shockingly Expensive - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Augmented Human: 5 Times Ive Used Technology To Augment Myself - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- A Giant Star Appears to Have Winked Out of Existence - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Introducing the Campus Technology Insider Podcast - Campus Technology - June 24th, 2020
- This is What Sunsets on Other Planets Would Look Like - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- Astronomers May Have Discovered First-Ever Black Neutron Star - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Astronauts Will Hike 10 Miles on Lunar Surface - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- As fashion resets, its algorithms should too - Vogue Business - June 24th, 2020
- China Is Building a Genetic Database of Every Man in the Country - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- The Death of the Open-Plan Office? Not Quite, but a Revolution is in the Air - Nextgov - June 24th, 2020
- Freestyle Acquires Divos!; Docs The Prison Within & Superhuman Find Homes; Random Media Takes Opus Of An Angel Film Deal Briefs - Deadline - June 24th, 2020
- Nicholas Mallis' Final Station, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Renewal Shows the Possibility of a Better World Post-Covid - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 24th, 2020