Sometimes it’s not enough to escape from the office. We need to get away from the world altogether.
Private islands, once the preserve of royals and titans of industry, offer just such an experience. And while many of them come with a price tag as breathtaking as their scenery, a few are extending their reach beyond the one per cent.
The Maldives consist of more than a thousand islands, strung out like a daisy chain in the Indian Ocean. Long a byword for honeymoon luxury,the country now offers even more exclusive places to stay through JA Resorts & Hotels. JA Manafaru nestles on the 35-acre Haa Alif Atoll (pictured above), 200 miles north of the capital Male (a seaplane trip takes 75 minutes). There are roughly 80 villas scattered around the site, ranging from beach bungalows withprivate pools to waterside villas with their own infinity pools.
Looking for even more seclusion? Take up their “Castaway Island” honeymoon package, where a dhoni (traditional fishing boat) will transport you to acompletely uninhabited island before lunch and leave you there for the afternoon with a gourmet hamper. There you can relax, snorkel and pretend you’rein an (extremely) upmarket retelling of Robinson Crusoe.
Castaway excursions range from $205 (158) per person for a day visit, up to approx. $410 (316) per person for an overnight experience. Stays at JAManafaru start at $623 (475) per room per night on a B&B basis (flights are not included).
For more information or to book, visitjaresortshotels.com
Isn’t that the one with the statues? It is but it also has boutique hotels and lodges. Officially part of Chile, this super-remote place is a five-hour flightfrom the mainland and world famous for its mysterious 900 or so moai, or stone monoliths. These are dotted around a landscape that’s a striking mix ofbeaches, volcanic craters and lava formations.
Cox & Kings offers private tours of Chile and recommends adding a three or four-night stay on to one of its bespoke itineraries, departing from Santiago, almost 4,000km away. Try the 30-room Explora Rapa Nui, built from native volcanic rock and overlooking the Pacific Ocean. There’s an infinity pool andopen-air hot tub, as well as five guided island explorations daily.
A three-night stay with Cox & Kings, with flights from Santiago (and a night there), is priced from 995 per person.
Coxandkings.co.uk provides further information.
They call it “blue safari”, a bespoke getaway cocooned in an archipelago of impossibly white beaches and blue seas. Billed as Madagascar’s firstfive-star eco luxury hotel, the Miavana “Island Sanctuary” is accessible only by helicopter from the mainland. It promises a truly exclusive stay.
Miavana, which means “coming together” in Malagasy, has a string of one to three-bedroom villas, each with their own private deck and pooloverlooking the Indian Ocean. The temperature hovers around 30C all year round; guests can take the scuba diving lessons included in the price, or ahelicopter safari to see the lemurs. The place can accommodate a maximum of 44 people, but if even that feels crowded, you can hire the entireisland for $100,000 (77,000).
Rates from $2,250 (1,734) per person per night.
More information can be foundhere.
In the Quirimbas archipelago, paradise is the norm. The 200km stretch is a seemingly endless parade of untouched beaches amid azure seas. Africa specialists the Luxury Safari Company offers a unique way to see it all: a “safari” by dhow, a picturesque breed of boat.
Over the course of nine nights, you and up to five others will be transported from idyll to idyll, pausing to snorkel over the coral or sunbathe on the sands.The itinerary includes exploring fishing villages nestled beside mangroves and river channels, a night’s camping, and a few days on Ibo Island to see itshauntingly beautiful old town ruins.
From 2,922 per person, including international flights and all internal arrangements based on two to three people; from 2,147 per person for four to six people.
For more information visittheluxurysafaricompany.com
Islands in the ocean are common, but how about staying on a river island? That’s what’s on offer from the Luxury Safari Company with Sindabezi, anisland retreat on the Zambezi River that’s home to just five exclusive cottages and the only deluxe bush camp near Victoria Falls.
This is island living with a twist. The open-sided thatched houses perch directly over the river, the main camp is on sand, but there’s action up in the treestoo, where there’s a dining deck and star gazing platform. From there you can visit the awe-inspiring Victoria Falls, go fishing or take guided walks aroundthe area.
Call+44 (0) 1666 880 111for a quote or email@example.com
A short private boat ride away from the historic city of Granada, this exclusive retreat on Isleta El Espino (“espino” means hawthorn) overlooksthe open beauty of Lake Nicaragua.
Featuring a swimming pool and massage facilities, but also a yoga platform and kayaks, this three-bedroom eco lodge one in a treehouse is ideal forpeople who want to relax but also keep active in stunning surroundings. Horseback riding on the cocoa and banana plantations, hiking and fishing are allavailable. At the end of the day you can sit back with a cocktail and take in the stunning views of the dormant Mombacho volcano.
Rooms from $105 (81) per night.
Tucked away in the Cyclades archipelago, but only one hour from Athens, this private islet retreat has been family-owned since the early part of the last century.
Home to just a smattering of old buildings and a chapel, the main villa is recommended for between eight and 22 people. It was built in the 1920s and hasbeen renovated twice since, although its charming, olive tree-laden surroundings remain untouched. There are no permanent residents here, except for a few rescue horses, one of which can be ridden. As for amenities, a chef and full staff can be arranged, or if you want to do it yourself you can pick from a wide array of home-grown produce. If you ever need to remind yourself of civilisation, the larger island of Evia with its spa towns, rich history and beautiful forests, is just across thewater.
Sleeps 12, from 6,700 per week.
Further information can be found here.
- A Private Island In Maine Can Be Yours for $650000 - Mental Floss - August 25th, 2017
- Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - New York Times - August 20th, 2017
- The 10 Best Private Islands in the WorldAnd Where to Find Them - HarpersBAZAAR.com - August 11th, 2017
- You can now rent an entire Caribbean private island on Airbnb - Metro - August 10th, 2017
- Hotel review: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island - The National - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrate Eid at Niyama Private Islands - Trade Arabia - August 6th, 2017
- You Can Rent These Private Islands For Just $300 a Night ... - Reader's Digest - August 6th, 2017
- Dream Cabins: Four-level log home on private island listed for $1.99 million (slideshow) - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal - August 3rd, 2017
- The Telo Islands are surfing's best-kept travel secret - GrindTV - August 3rd, 2017
- How Ireland's bred its own 'mob' of organic wallabies - Independent.ie - August 1st, 2017
- Dana Rohrabacher Will Be Present at Tonight's Town Hall Without Being Present - OC Weekly - August 1st, 2017
- Top five tropical getaways for sale in Queensland - Domain News - July 30th, 2017
- Quest to buy one's own island need not extend beyond WV's border - Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) - July 29th, 2017
- Be an island owner - DnG24 - July 28th, 2017
- Love Island's 'fake millionaire' Johnny Mitchell poses in private jet as he hits back at 'haters' with V sign ... - The Sun - July 28th, 2017
- This Was Just Named Top Cruise Line Private Island, and We Aren't Surprised One Bit - POPSUGAR - July 26th, 2017
- Channel Your Inner Castaway on This Remote African Archipelago - Vogue.com - July 26th, 2017
- $1.9M Private Lake Tapps Island Up For Sale: Wow! House - Patch.com - July 22nd, 2017
- 10 Posh Private Islands You Could Buy Today - TheStreet.com - July 21st, 2017
- Why Sweden's the best place for a road trip - The Independent - July 21st, 2017
- Guana Island - Telegraph.co.uk - July 20th, 2017
- How you can buy an entire private island - AOL UK - July 18th, 2017
- 8 of the best resorts in the Seychelles - CNN - July 18th, 2017
- Scottish island famed for 1960 lighthouse murder case on market - The Scotsman - July 17th, 2017
- Private Island In Maine For Sale For $8 Million - Hope Island Maine ... - TownandCountrymag.com (blog) - July 15th, 2017
- You could own this private island For the same price as a three bedroom Aberdeen home - Press and Journal - July 15th, 2017
- 10 Private Islands Starting at $5 Million You Could Call Home Today - TheStreet.com - July 14th, 2017
- Four resorts for a private island vacation - The Seattle Times - July 14th, 2017
- Now you can buy your very own private ISLAND in the middle of the Pacific but it'll set you back a cool 5000000 - The Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Secret island for sale off Mackay coast - Mackay Daily Mercury - July 13th, 2017
- Top 10 remote and exotic islands where you can forget the world - Stuff.co.nz - July 11th, 2017
- 10 incredible tropical islands you can rent from just 240 - and you'll have them all to yourself - Mirror.co.uk - July 11th, 2017
- French Polynesian Island, Priced at $11.88M, Heads to Auction - Mansion Global - July 10th, 2017
- Johnny Depp's absurd spending habits can't be used in court for now - Page Six - July 10th, 2017
- Croatia's Idyllic Island of Losinj Remains off the Radar - Vogue.com - July 10th, 2017
- Bamboo Private Islands - July 9th, 2017
- You can buy this entire Australian island for less than a flat in ... - Daily Star - July 9th, 2017
- Out To Sea: Small ships offer different experiences - London Free Press - July 8th, 2017
- Wedge Island: Capricorn Coast island for sale for $495k - NEWS.com.au - July 7th, 2017
- For sale on San Juan Island: A rock star's private waterfront estate ... - Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle) - July 7th, 2017
- Secluded 'island kingdom' in Casco Bay up for sale at $7.95 million - Press Herald - July 7th, 2017
- Glam-up in bikinis: 10 iconic beaches in the world you must visit soon - Hindustan Times - July 5th, 2017
- 10 private islands you can rent from $400 a night - 9Honey - July 3rd, 2017
- Bill seeks to protect trees on public and private land - Virgin Islands Daily News - July 3rd, 2017
- Founder of disastrous Fyre Festival arrested, charged with fraud - The Denver Post - July 2nd, 2017
- I'm glad Obama is on vacation - The Week Magazine - June 29th, 2017
- Are Private Island Cabanas Worth It? - TravelPulse - June 28th, 2017
- Four Resorts for a Private Island Vacation - New York Times - June 23rd, 2017
- Think a private island is just for Bond villains and billionaires? This Gwynedd estate is up for rent and you won't ... - Daily Post North Wales - June 23rd, 2017
- Four Caribbean Properties Named Among Five Idyllic Private Island Retreats - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - June 22nd, 2017
- Top three visa free destinations for Pakistanis - SAMAA TV News Pakistan - June 22nd, 2017
- National Harbor Is a Private Urban Island Designed for FunIf You Can Get There - Washington City Paper - June 22nd, 2017
- Peek at the private island for cruisers that just got a major makeover - USA TODAY - June 21st, 2017
- 5 Hotels With Private Islands - Successful Meetings - June 16th, 2017
- 21 fascinating islands on the Thames you (probably) didn't know about - Telegraph.co.uk - June 16th, 2017
- World's Most Private Island Resort Opening September 1, 2017 - Benzinga - June 15th, 2017
- 5 idyllic private island retreats - CNN International - June 14th, 2017
- Luxury travel: The most remote resorts in the Philippines - CNN - June 14th, 2017
- 5 idyllic private island retreats - CNN - June 12th, 2017
- Blackfire RED Aims to Save Consumers From 'Entertainment Islands' - StreamingMedia.com - June 12th, 2017
- Private residence of man who invented Miami Beach can be yours for only $65 million - Norwalk Reflector - June 12th, 2017
- Buck Island - British Virgin Islands , Caribbean - Private ... - June 11th, 2017
- The Great Caribbean Private Destination Race - TravelPulse - June 9th, 2017
- London family who built a Greek island getaway:unspoilt Meganissi has undiscovered coves and holiday homes for ... - Homes and Property - June 9th, 2017
- Private islands of the rich and famous - AOL UK - June 8th, 2017
- Inside Faith Hill and Tim McGraw's $145 Million Empire: Private Islands, Record-Breaking Tours and More - E! Online - June 8th, 2017
- Books to read on escape, or help you escape - San Francisco Chronicle - June 8th, 2017
- Indonesia counts its islands to protect territory and resources - BBC News - June 7th, 2017
- Miranda Kerr and Evan Spiegel's Laucala Island honeymoon - Daily Times - June 7th, 2017
- Dubai to Build $1.7B Man-Made Islands - Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 6th, 2017
- The coolest rooms in the South Pacific for 2017 - TTG - June 5th, 2017
- This Destination Wedding Venue on a Private Island Is Actually AffordablePromise! - Brides.com - June 3rd, 2017
- Meet Trudeau's new language commissioner A Liberal insider who barely speaks English - The Rebel - June 3rd, 2017
- A Caribbean island or a prime west London flat? Remote 44-acre private hideaway with helipad listed for sale for the ... - Homes and Property - June 3rd, 2017
- "Capturing the Quintessential Miami Water Views" Ross100 Condo Reports: What That Miami View Is Worth - PR Newswire (press release) - June 1st, 2017
- Pippa Middleton and James Matthews spotted honeymooning in Sydney - Camden Haven Courier - June 1st, 2017
- State plans sale of 6 affordable housing complexes across three islands - Hawaii Tribune Herald - May 30th, 2017
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance: Get a great deal on your next getaway - Richmond.com - May 28th, 2017
- Three Surprisingly Affordable (Semi-) Private Island Resorts - The Manual (blog) - May 26th, 2017
- Pippa Middleton jets off to 3K-per-night luxury island honeymoon destination - Evening Standard - May 26th, 2017