Though it may seem that Armory Week and Frieze Week get all the action, the reality is that there is never a dull moment in the New York art world. From the East Side to the West Side, theres always something happening at the citys museums, galleries, and various event spaces. That was the case this week, with the Jake and Dinos Chapmanshow at UTA Artist Space in Los Angeles,timed to the opening of theArt Los Angeles Contemporary fair; the wider Americanart scene also provides plenty of action. Heres a rundown of this weeks highlights.
Celebration for Sarah Crowners NewSite-Specific Installation at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museums Wright Restaurant The Guggenheim celebrated the unveiling of new work by Sarah Crowner in its Wright Restaurant with a reception on February 2. Its the first change in decor since the upscale eatery, which previously featured site-specific work by Liam Gillick, opened in 2009.
Crowners design marries her hard-edge geometric painting, on a canvas that hugs the curve of the restaurants back wall, with large, hand-glazed terra-cotta tiles in a chevron mosaic pattern, which cover the floor (off-white), the entry wall (bright yellow), and the wall behind the bar (vibrant sea green). The painting is inspired by a tapestrydesigned by Swedish painter Lennart Reodhe for a Stockholm restaurant in 1961 and made by a Swedish womens weaving collective, and the tiles are the handiwork of her friend and regular collaboratorJos No Suro at hisCermica Suroworkshop in Guadalajara, Mexico.
We brought a little bit of Mexico to the Upper East Side, and thats a beautiful thing! Crowner told guests.
Sarah is very rare in that shes a painter that works with space in a very thoughtful and direct way, Guggenheim curator of contemporary art Katherine Brinson told artnet News. The museum acquired a piece, titled Totem, by Crowner for its permanent collection in 2015, so when it came to redesigning the Wright, I just thought she was a natural choice.
Brinson praised Crowners work on the project, saying she thought in so much depth about how the space would function on a very practical level, but also about this unique building that is, as we say, the greatest artifact in our collection.
Jos No Suro, Sarah Crowner, Guggenheim curator of contemporary art Katherine Brinson, and Guggenheim deputy director Ari Wiseman in front of Crowners Backdrop (after Rodhe, 1961) at the Wright Restaurant at the Guggenheim Museum. Courtesy of Sarah Cascone.
Sarah Crowners site-specific installation at the Wright Restaurant at the Guggenheim Museum. Courtesy of David Heald/Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation.
Screening of Jean Nouvel: Reflections at Hearst Tower On February 1, guests gathered to watch Matt Tyrnauers documentary shortJean Nouvel: Reflections, about the Pritzker Prize-winning architect and his ongoing project, at Hearst Towers Joseph Urban Theatre. The evening was hosted by 53W53, the Jean Nouvel-designed condominium that will host the Museum of Modern Arts planned expansion, and the New York Landmarks Preservation. Following a cocktail reception and the screening,Tyrnauer spoke withPaul Goldberger about the making of the film and the career of its subject.
Brandon Haw, Paul Goldberger, Matt Tyrnauer, and Corey Reeser at a screening of Jean Nouvel: Reflections. Courtesy of Star Black.
Caitlin Douglas, George Lancaster, Ken Hsu, and Donna Puzio at a screening of Jean Nouvel: Reflections. Courtesy of Star Black.
Michael Chait, Bertram Beissel Von Gymnich, Jerry Karr, Jasmine Mir, Amanda Ortland, Christina Davis, and Richard Davis at a screening of Jean Nouvel: Reflections. Courtesy of Star Black.
Opening reception for Jake and Dinos Chapmans To Live and Think Like Pigs at UTA Artist Space, Los Angeles January 28 marked the opening reception for UK favorites Jake and Dinos Chapmans new show, titled To Live and Think Like Pigs, at the UTA Artist Space in Los Angeles. In their usual anti-aesthetic manner, the brothers aim to startle viewers with compositions that raise questions about religious beliefs, moral standards and political tradition, a topic that feels extremely timely. The show explores darker themes including human decay, Nazi war crimes, Satanism, and conflict. Yet the crowd that turned out for the opening was decidedly not somber, despite the material on view. Spotted in the mix were UTAs Joshua Roth; musician and former husband of Kate Moss, rocker Jamie Hince; musician Courtney Love; and comedians Whitney Cummings and Sebastian Maniscalco.
Lana Gomez, Sebastian Maniscalco, Joshua Roth and Sonya Roth at UTA Artist Space. Photo Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images for United Talent Agency.
Courtney Love and Jamie Hince attend UTA Artist Space. Photo Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images for United Talent Agency.
Dino Chapman and Jake Chapman. Photo Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images for United Talent Agency.
Installation view of To Live and Think Like Pigs, Jake and Dinos Chapmans new show at UTA Artist Space in Los Angeles. Photo Jeff McLane, courtesy the artists.
Art Los Angeles Contemporary Opening at the Barker Hangar The international art world was out in full force in on January 26 for the opening of the Art Contemporary Los Angeles art fair, withPerforma founder RoseLee Goldberg; Ali Subotnick of the Hammer Museum, Los Angeles; Elsa Longhauer of the Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles; curator Douglas Fogle; Sonya Roth of Christies; gallerists Sean Regen,Timothy Blum,and Jeffrey Poe; collectors Anita Zabludowicz and Michael and Susan Hort;Kenny Goss of the Goss Michael Foundation, Dallas; and actresses Eliza Dushkuand Rhea Perlman all in attendance.
In a statement, art advisor Veronica Fernandes called the fair a linchpin to our now exploding contemporary art-scenewhere global gallerists, collectors, artists, curators, critics and art advisors crowd each January to engage, build and buy.
Tracy Jeanne Rosenthal of the Los Angeles Reader with Puppies Puppies, Red Carpet. Courtesy the artist and Queer Thoughts, New York. Photo Gina Clyne Photography.
Tim Fleming and guest at Art Los Angeles Contemporary. Courtesy of Art Los Angeles Contemporary, Gina Clyne Photography.
Art Los Angeles Contemporary. Courtesy of Art Los Angeles Contemporary, Gina Clyne Photography.
Huang Rui, Ping Pong 2017. Courtesy of Art Los Angeles Contemporary, Gina Clyne Photography.
Collective Design Studio Tour With Ceramic Artist Peter Lane In advance ofCollective Design, which returns May 37, 2017, the fair hosted a studio visit withPeter Lane in Bushwick, Brooklyn, on January 31. The ceramic artist, who will show his large-scale wall installations in an immersive environment at the upcoming fair, offered a behind-the-scenes tour of the cavernous space, showcasing his artistic process.
Guests included design world influencers such as Yolande Milan Batteau of Callidus Guild,David Mann of MR Architecture + Decor,Francine Monaco and Carl DAquino of DAquino Monaco, andBrook Klausing of Brook Landscape.
In addition to cocktails and conversation, highlights ofthe evening includeda peek at themassive industrialkilns in which Lane fires his work.
Peter Lane shows guests his Bushwick studio. Courtesy of Collective Design.
Peter Lanes Bushwick studio. Courtesy of Collective Design.
Peter Lanes Bushwick studio. Courtesy of Collective Design.
Additional reporting by Eileen Kinsella.
Follow this link:
- Occult symbols found on New Forest animals killed, and in church vandalism - The Wild Hunt - December 6th, 2019
- Concert Review: Spinal Taps Derek Smalls Revives Mock-Rock at the Wiltern - Variety - November 11th, 2019
- Curro pupil speaks: 'Stop the satanic panic, art is meant to provoke thought' - News24 - October 27th, 2019
- Creepy countdown the 20 scariest horror movies of all time - NNY360 - October 27th, 2019
- What does it mean to be a modern witch? 3 real-life witches share their experiences - Vogue India - October 23rd, 2019
- Judas Priests Rob Halford: The metal community has always been inclusive, yet weve been kicked around like a football over the years - NME.com - October 23rd, 2019
- The 20 scariest horror movies of all time - The Columbus Dispatch - October 20th, 2019
- What are the 20 scariest horror movies of all time? - Peoria Journal Star - October 20th, 2019
- I'm a founder of the Satanic Temple. Don't blame Satan for white supremacy. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Wash Post column cheers Satan, jeers Christians - WND.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Devil's Cradle: The Story of Finnish Black Metal - The Gauntlet - August 25th, 2017
- Court orders new trial in satanic sacrificial murder case - RT - August 25th, 2017
- We Asked Diehard Swedish Metalheads What They Consider to be 'Metal' - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- A Brief But Very Informative History of How Fascists Infiltrated Punk and Metal - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- Why Some Christians Are Calling White Supremacy 'Satanic' - HuffPost - August 20th, 2017
- Satanic Leader Calls Upon Christian America to Face Their Contribution to Racist Right - Patheos (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- The Wild Hunt | Tag Archive | paranormal investigation - The Wild Hunt - August 16th, 2017
- Nottinghamshire sees increase in Witchcraft complaints - The Wild Hunt - August 11th, 2017
- Secular doctors are realizing that demonic possession is real, and needs special attention - Catholic Online - August 8th, 2017
- Nocturnes Mist announce Sept 15th release of "Diabolical Baptism" - The Gauntlet - August 6th, 2017
- 'Embrace ICT with caution' - The Herald - August 4th, 2017
- Kangaroo Court: Of Chief Lundu orders to ban ECG church - Nyasa Times - August 3rd, 2017
- How the Satanic Temple Became a Queer Haven - VICE - July 24th, 2017
- Coltrain: Satanism and paganism are not the same thing - The Daily Iowan - July 20th, 2017
- theartsdesk on Vinyl 30: Moby, The Beach Boys, Napalm Death, John Coltrane and more - The Arts Desk - July 13th, 2017
- Satanism Making Comeback Through Witchcraft and Atheism: Rabbi - Breaking Israel News - June 27th, 2017
- Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2017
- Outlast 2 Garishly Exploits Your Sexual Hangups For Horror - Paste Magazine - June 24th, 2017
- Ritual Skulls and Other Magical Objects, in Photos - Atlas Obscura - June 24th, 2017
- Christians and Jews Combat Witches' Summer Solstice Satanic Spells on Trump - CBN News - June 22nd, 2017
- Paganism Is Back! Now What Are We Christians Going to Do? - Patheos (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- The Occult Roots of Modernism - The New Yorker - June 19th, 2017
- Modern Satanism: Anatomy of a Radical Subculture - Chris ... - June 17th, 2017
- Witch Hunts, Resurgence and Defiance: Heavy Metal In The Middle East - The Quietus - June 12th, 2017
- The Alt-Right Is the Modern, Hideous Face of White Supremacy - AlterNet - June 12th, 2017
- Understanding contemporary white supremacy: Is the alt-right really something new? - Salon - June 11th, 2017
- Catholic Priest: MN Park's New Monument Will Attract Satanists Who Want to Molest Kids - Patheos (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- The Gallows Pole By Benjamin Myers: A Playlist - The Quietus - June 6th, 2017
- Exclusive: Bloody Hammers Use Old School Horror For Blood Video ... - Dread Central - June 3rd, 2017
- We are using witchcraft, Satanism and magic confesses ... - June 3rd, 2017
- Pagan Community Notes: Memorial Day, Manchester, Pagan Dawn, and more! - The Wild Hunt - May 30th, 2017
- What witch-hunters can teach us - The Daily News of Newburyport - May 26th, 2017
- Column: What witch-hunters can teach us about today's world ... - Gloucester Daily Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Duterte to Trump: What witch-finders can teach us about today's popular leaders - Philippine Star - May 18th, 2017
- Alison Sampson & Steve Niles Stir Up Satanic Panic in Winnebago Graveyard - Paste Magazine - May 17th, 2017
- Exposing Satanism and Witchcraft - May 11th, 2017
- Ghost Rider De-Mystified Part 1 - Movie TV Tech Geeks News - May 9th, 2017
- Meet the modern-day Pagans who celebrate the ancient gods - Salon - May 7th, 2017
- Satanism is Becoming More Saintlike Than Catholicism - ComicsVerse - May 6th, 2017
- Neo-Pagan Witchcraft vs Satanism - May 4th, 2017
- Taken For Granted Ghostbusters - 411mania.com - April 27th, 2017
- Report: Aaron Hernandez Drew 'Illuminati' Symbols in Blood - Heavy.com - April 23rd, 2017
- TEST SPIN: Ulver The Assassination of Julius Caesar - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 21st, 2017
- Forgotten American Religion Finds Home in India: Selective Consciousness and Increased Awareness at the ... - Huffington Post - April 15th, 2017
- In literature and art from over 100 years ago, images of the cow as mother - The Indian Express - April 5th, 2017
- 5 Things You Got Wrong About Modern Witchcraft And Those Who ... - PopWrapped Entertainment Group (blog) - March 31st, 2017
- Neo-vlkisch movements - Wikipedia - March 27th, 2017
- An Intro to LaVeyan Satanism and the Church of Satan - March 27th, 2017
- No hats or brooms: ASU witches express individuality within own ... - The State Press - March 27th, 2017
- DOOMguy Knows How You Feel - lareviewofbooks - March 17th, 2017
- 'Bible torching,' 'neo-satanic' college group planned 'lamb sacrifice' at Clemson University - TheBlaze.com - March 17th, 2017
- The Awolowo Legacy And Its Message For Nigerian Youths | The ... - The News - March 9th, 2017
- Witchcraft is the new feminism - NME.com (blog) - March 5th, 2017
- How Does the New Turkish Curriculum Look Like? Conservative Changes Dominate - PoliticalCritique.org - March 2nd, 2017
- Delusions of Antiquity - Splice Today - February 24th, 2017
- Coming to America: The History of Mail-Order Brides - Utne Reader Online - February 20th, 2017
- Zeal & Ardor Devil is Fine: Album Stream - The Independent - February 20th, 2017
- Deconstructing Pagan religions - Daily News & Analysis - February 18th, 2017
- Weekly roundup of world briefs from JTA - Heritage Florida Jewish ... - Heritage Florida Jewish News - February 18th, 2017
- Female cultism in Nigerian universities and other dangerous cults ... - NAIJ.COM - February 15th, 2017
- Russian lawmaker: Ancestors of Jewish politicians 'boiled us in cauldrons' - The Jewish Standard - February 15th, 2017
- Russian Lawmaker Says Jews Once 'Boiled Us In Cauldrons' - Forward - February 14th, 2017
- Unhinged 'Professor' Whose Hissy Fit at NYU Went Viral Turns Out to Be Lobster Porn Artist - PJ Media - February 6th, 2017
- Christians think 'the Rapture' is coming and the signs are already ... - Metro - February 6th, 2017
- Modern Satanism - Anatomy of a Radical Subculture | Satan - January 22nd, 2017
- An Introduction to LaVeyan Satanism and the Church of Satan - November 23rd, 2016
- F.A.Q. Fundamental Beliefs | churchofsatan.com - November 23rd, 2016
- Modern Satanism: Anatomy of a Radical Subculture by Chris ... - November 10th, 2016
- Historical Satanism - dpjs.co.uk/historical.html - August 19th, 2016
- Modern Satanism | Spiral Nature - July 27th, 2016