The excerpt below is from The Marathon Dont Stop: The Life and Times of Nipsey Hussle, byRob Kenner, which was released March 23. Nipsey Hussle was shot and killed in Los Angeles on March 31, 2019.Next Tuesday, March 30, marks five years since his and YGs FDT, the first major anti-Trump protest song, dropped ahead of the 2016 election. The song ultimately kicked off a movement in hip-hop and beyond, and spooked the then-presidential nominee enough that he reportedly pressured YGs record label to censor some of the songs lyrics and the LAPD to shut down the music video shoot. This is the story of how the song came to be.
When its all over all that counts is how the storys told
So write my name down, write my aim down
To do this my way and carve my own lane out.
Nipsey Hussle, Outro, The Marathon Continues (2011)
When Obama was running for president in 2008, the unified power of hip-hop helped lift him to victory. Endorsements by rappers from Jay-Z and Jeezy to Common and Will.I.Am not to mention two cover stories in Vibe magazine helped to mobilize record turnout among a coalition of young voters from various cultures, ethnic groups, and economic backgrounds. Eight years later, America was faced with the most openly racist candidate in modern history, but the popular resistance was in disarray. Somebody needed to step up, harness the awesome power of hip-hop, and speak with a clear voice, calling Trump out on his bullshit. Los Angeles rapper YG and Nipsey Hussle were locking in to start work on their collaborative album, as outrage against Trump was reaching a fever pitch. Everywhere I went, everybodys findin out all the real shit about him, YG recalled. He and Nip were always talking about using their platform to make a bold statement about real issues. As YG put it, they aspired to do stuff other motherfuckers are not doing. So we finally hit the studio and really did it.
Over the last couple of years Trumps been foreshadowing that hes going to run, said Nipsey. I thought it was a joke. I knew he was a big celebrity, but I didnt know it was possible for him to become president.
Hussle noticed that the power of the Trump brand was working in his favor. When you think about the 2016 election, all you really hear is Trump, he observed. You know Hillary, you know Bernie, but it seems like Trumps name and voice is louder than the rest of them. So it was like, Are we actually taking this serious? For Hussle, Trump was just a privileged rich dude that got an out-of-touch view of the world. That made me like, dude is definitely out of his mind and our country sounded crazy for even taking him as a legitimate candidate. We werent feeling him, YG said. The world wasnt feeling him.
Having grown up in L.A., both YG and Hussle found Trumps attacks on Mexican Americans particularly offensive. I went to Paramount High School, YG recalled. It was probably like 95.9 percent Latino All my homies grew up with Latino next-door neighbors, tryin to talk to they sisters and shit. Hussle had always discouraged Black-on-brown (as well as Black-on-Black) conflict. Thats divide and conquer, thats Willie Lynch, he told Davey D back in 2006. I feel like we got a common enemy, so I dont feel we got time to be beefin. In the decade since then, Hussle had put those views into practice, bringing different hoods and cultures together within his team, including his Mexican-born business partner and road manager Jorge Peniche.
The way Trump was campaigning was really affecting my guy, said Hussle, who gained a new appreciation for the impact of Trumps rhetoric. His situation was really in jeopardy. And watchin on TV, we like, Thats not right. This dude went to college. This dude is a good person. I saw it up close and personal. Fortunately, Peniche was able to work out his situation, but as the son of an immigrant himself, Hussle knew that many others were still in jeopardy. Moreover, Hussle had a sizable Mexican fan base turning out for his concerts and supporting his movement. I felt like they needed somebody to ride for em, Nip said. Because we relate in the struggle, and poverty, and not havin shit, and bein incarcerated we relate. So that message aint something we feel neither.
By the time Black people started getting thrown out of Trump rallies, YG felt they had no choice but to act. Trump was taking it too far. One day he put it to Nip: Look, bro, if we doin a project called Two of AmeriKKKaz Most Wanted, we gotta have a song called Fuck Donald Trump. Nip thought the idea was tight, like a 2016 version of N.W.A.s Fuck tha Police.
His exact words, as YG remembered them, were: Cuz, on Six-Owe, I feel you! Lets do it!
Everything unfolded quickly from that point. YG knew exactly which beat he wanted to use. When he explained the concept to DJ Swish, the producer thought it was something YG was doing for fun. I never thought this would be popular, Swish said, but it fits well with the times. DJ Mustard and Young Thug happened to be in the studio when the vocals were laid down. We heard it back through the speakers and we already knew this was powerful, Hussle later recalled. YG thought Nip should be the one to rap the verses. You always talk about real shit, he said. I be on some turnt-up burnt-out shit. But Nip challenged YG to set it off.
Nah, you rap it! Hussle said, and YG didnt hesitate. As soon as he laid down his first verse evoking the Rodney King riots and saying Im bout to turn Black Panther / Dont let Donald Trump win, that nigga cancer! everybody started looking around like, We should lock the door and finish this. Me as an artist, Nip as an artist, we very straight up and down, YG said later. It is what it is. It aint no hidden messages when we rapping. You gon know what the fuck we talkin bout. By the final verse, YG and Nip were going back and forth, making plans to form a coalition that would disrupt Trumps campaign by uniting the same people Trump sought to divide.
Hold up, Nip, tell the world how you fuck with Mexicans, YG said, after mentioning his Mexican plug and the Mexican mechanic who fixes the hydraulics on his lowrider. It wouldnt be the USA without Mexicans, Nip replied a statement that cut to the heart of Trumps xenophobic attacks, and one that rang especially true in border states like California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. While calling for Black love and brown pride, YG and Hussle were also demonstrating the possibility of reconciliation between red and blue.
With inspiration flowing, the record was done in less than an hour. In case anybody missed the significance of what was going on, YG closed out the song with a promise to pay Trump a visit. When your L.A. rally? We gon crash your shit!
As soon as they knocked out the vocals, YG turned to Nip. Im like, Ay, bro you ready?
What you talkin bout? Nip replied.
You ready for what might come with this? he said, on a serious note. Like, niggas gonna get banned from shows. All the police, all them people, gonna be on us.
We already get backlash. We already cant do this and this and this, Nip replied. Fuck it. Lets make it worth something.
They called the song FDT and dropped it on March 30, 2016.
Hip-hops powerful rebuke of the presumptive Republican candidate set the internet ablaze. The final version of the track included a sound bite of Trump talking about building his great wall on the Mexican border (and getting Mexico to pay for it!) as well as a clip of Tahjila Davis speaking about getting thrown out of the Trump rally. We tryna touch the people, YG told Billboard after the song was released. We tryna motivate all the young people to vote. Really take your time cause its important, you feel me? If not, it could be all bad for us.
FDT represented much more than just two rappers dissing a controversial politician. A Blood and a Crip had come together to make a song repping for Mexicans whose L.A. street culture dates back even farther than the Slausons and the Businessmen. As hard as Nip and YG went in their verses, they still made space for open-minded white folks to join the movement. If historian Mike Davis was right when he said, I dont think theres anything the police fear more than an end to gang warfare, then FDT had to be their worst nightmare.
See original here:
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump is facing yet another new lawsuit this one from a NJ parolee | Kelly - NorthJersey.com - April 17th, 2021
- Trump Allies Work to Craft a Platform Going Beyond Fealty to Him - Bloomberg - April 17th, 2021
- Where is Donald Trump? - TRT World - April 15th, 2021
- Meet the Woman Who Could Send Donald Trump to Prison - Vanity Fair - April 15th, 2021
- Heres Everything We Know About Donald Trumps Personal Finances - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump Caused The Techlash - Techdirt - April 15th, 2021
- Pastor Johnny Enlow Says People Will Understand Donald Trump's Bravery When They Get to Heaven - Newsweek - April 15th, 2021
- How Rich Are Joe Biden, Donald Trump and All the Other Living US Presidents? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Just How Rich Are Donald Trump, President Biden and These Other Big Names? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Numbers show Donald Trump lost big with non-believers, but many religious voters stuck with him | Opinion - pennlive.com - April 15th, 2021
- Bidens gamble: Will pulling troops revive extremist threat? - KXAN.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whether you trust Donald Trump, or Joe Biden, or Kristi Noem, or Dusty Johnson, weve all gotten the vaccine - KELOLAND.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whats Donald Trump up to these days? I tried to find out via Instagram - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trumps net worth dropped by one-third during his presidency - FOX 6 Milwaukee - April 11th, 2021
- Revisiting 2016's 'Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal: The Movie' and the Comedy of the Trump Era - International Policy Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Former President Trump's PAC has $85 million on hand as he prepares for midterms and possible 2024 run - CNBC - April 11th, 2021
- The National Archives won't be able to host Donald Trump's tweets on Twitter - Yahoo Tech - April 11th, 2021
- Milwaukee Asks to Sanction Donald Trump Over 'Baseless' Election Lawsuit - Bloomberg - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump and the Art of the Faustian Deal - The National Interest - April 11th, 2021
- Boehner blames Trump, regrets impeaching Clinton and other things we learned from his memoirs - The Cincinnati Enquirer - April 11th, 2021
- Trump held steady among believers at the ballot it was the nonreligious vote he lost in 2020 - Salon - April 11th, 2021
- To hold Donald Trump to account for the Jan. 6 riot, Marcy Kaptur joins a lawsuit against him: This Week in t - cleveland.com - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump Sued by 2 Capitol Police Officers Over Jan. 6 Insurrection - TMZ - March 31st, 2021
- Why Donald Trump Is Fuming Over Dr. Fauci And Dr. Birx - The List - March 31st, 2021
- The Unlikely Team of Prosecutors Hunting Trump in Georgia - The Daily Beast - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump ally Matt Gaetz faces sex trafficking probe over alleged relationship with teen girl - Stuff.co.nz - March 31st, 2021