First the good news. Exclusive News Channels in India, despite the good old DD, started about a quarter of a century ago, but actually came in vogue abut two decades ago. Most were backed by publication houses, some came later, again media people. The better news is that instead of complaints against government gags, tags not entirely honourable as pro establishment channels, or somewhat neutral, were the only adjectives that were entertained. For instance, a popular one by a journalist who could explain the demographics of Indian general electoral trends methodically, took his position. Regional channels are mostly tuned to a respective two- party system of the state, as is the paper media.
The present TRP war, came about to be, considering whether it is really that serious, due to a sudden formation of a new channel by an energetic, intelligent rebel of a journo, who got the right timing to prey upon sitting ducks of scams. It became a one man show with such vehemence, that no government or political spokes persons had enough knowledge or liberty or the solace from their party to reveal beyond a certain quantum.
I, as a neurologist am not an activist, but could see a new talent of delivery, oration, incisive phrases, picking up local but common mans jargon. Not without well worked hand movements now with a single hand the right being bandaged. Decent, too loud, too obsessed with ambition, say what you may. One has to accept that he knows the works-showmanship, choosing topics, aligning and re-aligning a broadcast at will.
With a pardon, that I may not know all rules and trespasses of journalism, one realizes how much behind the scene competition there is in Indian media. Acknowledging the mastery of presentable, pleasant and all covering concept for the publication house, that gave me the opportunity to enlist me as a Blog writer, the presentation on electronic media needs a new change.
Actually, some who went overboard, well versed and long -term entrepreneurs, could have just sat and watched. It was possibly a sudden loss of neve, missing the full thrust on a slower delivery, caught, without crossing the ropes. Probably this new renegade talent, forced too many bouncers and quietly gave a slower one. So, was it a ploy of the grand Republican, to incite a TRP overdoing under his well laid contraptions!
I am not invoking intra-media rivalry, just studying a sudden change of broadcasting. The impact in delivery is being modulated by other channels, that ran on didactic rules of the producer. There is a place of movie directors, script writers, dialogue fillers. Good for the Indian media. Indian channels shall be watched more by NRIs and the western audiences.
As for the content, I stay away from what is good, bad, ethical or otherwise. The news -burger should be well stuffed, veg or non-veg. That is what gives the TRP. In a quiet candle-light upscale restaurant, if the customers have changed to noisy Furtunner/Scorpia/Harrier owners, it may be a nice marketing idea to start serving sizzlers, with a concealed microphone and speaker on the tray, which the waiter can modulate as he takes a circuitous turn to destination table, imagine, how many shall start ordering that one with the noise Even if the stuff is mediocre, modest in value, you are paying for the sound for an eatable!
The TRP, or the target rating point, is a method of measuring the total viewership, that is the viewers and time duration of viewing. Generally done by placing a few thousand meters attached to regular TVs, randomly, but also by representing the users preferences of language, timing of maximum watching, and the viewership pull on ads. The final number is calculated by using the viewers as denominator, the numerator as the total impressions delivered to the target x 100.
As an example, if the viewers are 10, 000, and impressions, 1000 x 100, the TRP is 10. Thereafter begins the baking and frying as per rules! Not discrete to analyse further. By all types of maths including Quantum Physics. Consider that electromagnetic waves can be deviated by a magnetic field. You finally get a sore between 0-3-0! If sliding from a perennial 2. 3 to 2.2 is a calamitous as a rate cut on a assured bond, it might be an issue with mega- investors!
How correct is the TRP to actual viewership? Well this is the best and a universal method followed. The value is the rating of the channel, that impacts the minds towards more viewership, and attracting revenues through ads.
Talking of previous such self- designed programmes, was Rajat Sharmas, Aap ki Adalat. He softly invited every luminary, icon, politician, but not without a few awkward questions. Arun Shouries scam under CM A R Antulay, surely was on paper media but one of the most daring ones.
Tehelka initially a one- time event, where perhaps for the first time concealed electronic devices were used, and later converted into a weekly publication. Had the media and public been so charged then, it had the ingredients of a news channel!
The history of television news broadcasting somewhat begins with David Sarnoff, a young man who joined the most popular network NBC. Those were war days bur Sarnoff had envisioned that the coming of television would be the main thing. Catching up in competition was a smaller company CBS, that had more funds, and even borrowed NBC talent.
Technological hurdles were the availability of a co-axial cable that would run on land. Finally, the task was handed over to part government owned AT&T. Even before the end of the war, Sarnoff had announced, that US shall have its own TV broadcasting, rather than the anticipated Imperial stations.
Funds were always a problem. R J Reynolds, the makers of Camel came to help. They improvised their ow popular programme, Caravans on Camels Went well.
The heave came in the 1948 election convention. Philadelphia was chosen by political parties, as it had the maximum density of cable networks. One case where the presence of broadcast technology influenced political decision. TV sales were on the rise. Sure, there had to be new talent for visual presentations but some old radio voices were kept due their appeal to the audience. Broadcasting had to be tutored. Interest generated by sending teams to broadcast from the site of the incident began.
TRPs is just a symbol of the intense media, competition, as on-coming digitalization has been hurried by Covid.Next shall be cable TV, Computer domestic AI all combined. It is already there.
The wise shall allow, accommodate, modulate the electronic media. India has the worlds largest English -speaking audience. New more riveting methods are seen. The first launch of TV broadcasting by NBC was a political convention. Its the circumstance that gives the opening. Beyond that the road is long and not without struggle!
dil se to har mo.mla kar ke chale the saaf ham,kahne me un ke smne baat badal badal ga.Faiz
(I left clarifying all issues of the heart before the meeting,While clarifying, before her, somehow the issues kept changing)
DISCLAIMER : Views expressed above are the author's own.
- New History of the Physics Department by Raj Gupta and Paul Sharrah Published - University of Arkansas Newswire - March 3rd, 2021
- New research indicates the whole universe could be a giant neural network - The Next Web - March 3rd, 2021
- Roivant Grows Computational Drug Discovery Engine with Acquisition of Silicon Therapeutics - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- Physics - The Tiniest Superfluid Circuit in Nature - Physics - February 27th, 2021
- Can god be disproved using the laws of physics? An expert explains how it depends on perspective - Scroll.in - February 27th, 2021
- How philosophy blends physics with the idea of free will - Big Think - February 27th, 2021
- Exclusive! Ashwin Sanghi on his dream to cast Sushant Singh Rajput in 'Keepers Of The Kalachakra' series: He was like an excited child when it came to... - February 27th, 2021
- SD Times Open-Source Project of the Week: PennyLane - SDTimes.com - February 27th, 2021
- Google Teams With D-Wave in Massive Quantum Computing Leap, Cracking Simulation Problem - The Daily Hodl - February 27th, 2021
- Tech Talk: Universe or multiverse? | Free - Ashland Daily Press - February 27th, 2021
- Physicists Show a Speed Limit Also Applies in the Quantum World - SciTechDaily - February 25th, 2021
- Can the laws of Physics help settle the debate over the existence of God? - Firstpost - February 25th, 2021
- OU appoints three to rank of Distinguished Professor - 2021 - Office of the Provost - News - OU Magazine - News at OU - February 25th, 2021
- Mid-Atlantic Quantum Alliance Expands Impact and Reach with Addition of 10 New Partners - PR Web - February 25th, 2021
- Everything you need to know about quantum physics (almost ... - February 22nd, 2021
- Quantum mechanics - Wikipedia - February 22nd, 2021
- Six Things Everyone Should Know About Quantum Physics - February 22nd, 2021
- A new Approach Could Tease out the Connection Between Gravity and Quantum Mechanics - Universe Today - February 22nd, 2021
- And So It Begins Quantum Physicists Create a New Universe With Its Own Rules - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - February 22nd, 2021
- IBM adds 10 historically Black colleges and universities to quantum computing center - TechRepublic - February 22nd, 2021
- Physicists Need to Be More Careful with How They Name Things - Scientific American - February 22nd, 2021
- Can the laws of physics disprove God? - The Conversation UK - February 22nd, 2021
- Planet Earth Report The Quantum Century to Events That Could Have Ended Humanity - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - February 22nd, 2021
- A New Measurement of Quantum Space-Time Has Found Nothing Going On - ScienceAlert - February 22nd, 2021
- With a $50,000 Grant, Black Quantum Futurism Will Continue to Disrupt Space and Time - GalleristNY - February 22nd, 2021
- Gravity May Play a Tiny But Important Role in The Microworld of Particle Physics - ScienceAlert - February 22nd, 2021
- IBM Adds Future Developer And Software Details To Its Quantum Roadmap - Forbes - February 22nd, 2021
- Physics - A Superconducting Qubit that Protects Itself - Physics - February 22nd, 2021
- Black Quantum Futurism receives the Knight Foundations new art and technology fellowship - WHYY - February 22nd, 2021
- What science tells us about the quantum origin of the universe - Sunday Vision - February 22nd, 2021
- Quantum Mechanics, Free Will and the Game of Life - Scientific American - February 14th, 2021
- Quantum Theory Proposes That Cause and Effect Can Go In Loops - Universe Today - February 14th, 2021
- The search for dark matter gets a speed boost from quantum technology - The Conversation US - February 14th, 2021
- Microsofts Big Win in Quantum Computing Was an Error After All - WIRED - February 14th, 2021
- Kangaroo Court: Quantum Computing Thinking on the Future - JD Supra - February 14th, 2021
- New EU Consortium shaping the future of Quantum Computing USA - PRNewswire - February 14th, 2021
- 2020 Quantum Communications in Space Research Report: Quantum Communications are Expected to Solve the Problem of Secure communications First on... - February 14th, 2021
- Mutually unbiased bases and symmetric informationally complete measurements in Bell experiments - Science Advances - February 14th, 2021
- Yale Quantum Institute Co-sponsored Event - Alternative Realities for the Living - Quantum Physics & Fiction - Yale News - February 14th, 2021
- Dont Tell Einstein, but Black Holes Might Have Hair - WIRED - February 14th, 2021
- A Magnetic Twist to Graphene Could Offer a Dramatic Increase in Processing Speeds Compared to Electronics - SciTechDaily - February 14th, 2021
- The Interplay between Quantum Theory And Artificial Intelligence - Analytics India Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- In Violation of Einstein, Black Holes Might Have 'Hair' - Quanta Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Dr. William Audeh - The Gazette - February 10th, 2021
- Quantum Physics | Rakuten Viki - February 6th, 2021
- Switching Nanolight On and Off | Columbia News - Columbia University - February 6th, 2021
- Scientists narrow down the 'weight' of dark matter trillions of trillions of times - Livescience.com - February 6th, 2021
- The Super Bowl: What is time? - SB Nation - February 6th, 2021
- 'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Dated Julia Roberts By Wooing Her With Quantum Physics and Funny Jokes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 6th, 2021
- A world-first method to enable quantum optical circuits that use photons - Tech Explorist - February 6th, 2021
- Quantum Physics Story Helgoland to Be Adapted by Fremantles The Apartment, CAM Film (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Quantum physics and romance collide in the streaming production of Constellations - Chicago Reader - February 2nd, 2021
- 'A Glitch in the Matrix' Director Was Skeptical About Simulation Theory Until He Started Doing Research - IndieWire - February 2nd, 2021
- Record-Breaking Source for Single Photons Developed That Can Produce Billions of Quantum Particles per Second - SciTechDaily - February 2nd, 2021
- Can public clouds fix the developer experience in the HPC domain? - Forbes - February 2nd, 2021
- 29 Scientists Came Together in the "Most Intelligent Photo" Ever Taken - My Modern Met - February 2nd, 2021
- Silence your stoner friends with this video of a room entirely constructed out of mirrors - The A.V. Club - February 2nd, 2021
- Valuable contributor to society - The Tribune India - February 2nd, 2021
- Copperizing the Complexity of Superconductivity - Newswise - February 2nd, 2021
- A Zoom with a view: Wintersession offers a virtual journey from the kitchen to Hollywood - Princeton University - February 2nd, 2021
- IBMs top executive says, quantum computers will never reign supreme over classical ones - The Hindu - January 29th, 2021
- How quantum is it? U of T physicist Aaron Goldberg may have the answer - News@UofT - January 29th, 2021
- Wormholes May Be Lurking in the Universe Here Are Proposed Ways of Finding Them - SciTechDaily - January 29th, 2021
- The Convergence of Internet of Things and Quantum Computing - BBN Times - January 29th, 2021
- Who You Really Are And Why It Matters | Practical Ethics - Practical Ethics - January 29th, 2021
- The relativity principle of physics in technology - The National - January 29th, 2021
- If Wormholes Are Lurking in Our Universe, This Is How We Could Find Them - ScienceAlert - January 17th, 2021
- New quantum particle may have been accidentally discovered - New Atlas - January 13th, 2021
- Exploring the unanswered questions of our universe with quantum technologies - University of Birmingham - January 13th, 2021
- Wormholes may be lurking in the universe and new studies are proposing ways of finding them - The Conversation UK - January 13th, 2021
- Surprising Discovery of Unexpected Quantum Behavior in Insulators Suggests Existence of Entirely New Type of Particle - SciTechDaily - January 13th, 2021
- New quantum technology projects to solve mysteries of the universe - Open Access Government - January 13th, 2021
- University of Sheffield to lead multi-million pound project which could open up a new frontier in physics - University of Sheffield News - January 13th, 2021
- The Greatest: Four Legends Gather in One Night in Miami - Memphis Flyer - January 13th, 2021
- Raytheon UK part of team transforming the Royal Navy's technology, training and learning solutions - PRNewswire - January 13th, 2021
- Optical selection and sorting of nanoparticles according to quantum mechanical properties - Science Advances - January 13th, 2021
- Birds Have a Mysterious 'Quantum Sense'. For The First Time, Scientists Saw It in Action - ScienceAlert - January 9th, 2021
- The unhackable computers that could revolutionize the future - CNN - January 9th, 2021
- How understanding light has led to a hundred years of bright ideas - The Economist - January 9th, 2021
- Quantum Nanodevice Can Be Both a Heat Engine and Refrigerator at the Same Time - SciTechDaily - January 9th, 2021