The Space Brothers sat down with us at Dreamstate SoCal this year to chat about their role in the trance community, changes in the scene, and more!
From the early days of the dance music scene to this day, Ricky Simmons and Stephen Jones have been spinning trance, scorching dancefloors, and keeping the classic sound alive and well. Better known as The Space Brothers, this duo has truly become legends in the genre with huge tracks released over the years like Forgiven and Shine.
Helping form the genre into what its become today, theyve stayed consistent as the standard-bearers of the true trance sound while the rest of the scene has shifted and changed over the decades. Gracing the stage at major trance festivals like Luminosity Beach Festival and playing shows across the United Kingdom as well, their sets are revered for taking all who attend on a journey into the depths of the genre.
Most recently, The Space Brothers headed across the pond to play a stunner of a set at Dreamstate SoCal and luckily, we were able to catch up with this iconic duo. Read on to get the lowdown on this legendary duo as they give their insight on the scene and more.
Steve: Phenomenal! Obviously weve heard a lot about the festival and saw all of the footage but the experience is unbelievable. Such a warm and exciting crowd. Well be back next year if invited.
Ricky: Its nice to go back to those older records, around 1994-ish, that era, stuff that people have forgotten about. Its nice to go back to the stuff we used to hear when we went clubbing. We play alot of classic sets with tracks that have influenced our own current music
S: A lot of people resist playing old stuff but we still like playing that kind of thing dont we? To mix it up with current stuff is the best way to do it because otherwise, it can seem like youre playing a set from decades ago. But when you can mix it in with new remixes and reworks of what weve done in the past, it works.
R: Were lucky because we have quite a big catalog so loads of people are always remixing our stuff, and its nice to hear what other people are doing with our tracks. It really keeps things fresh.
Both: The internet. changed everything.
S: Not playing vinyl anymore, even though we did one recently. With these old fashioned, things called records. [Laughs]
R: And the old fashion thing called jeopardy that comes with playing records. [Laughs] In a nice way cause you feel like youre flying instead of playing with a remote-controlled toy with.
S: The thing that I was reminded of recently that most people wouldnt understand nowadays is when you could have a record that was quite hot and only two or three people would have the record for maybe months thats not a phenomenon that exists anymore where you can keep something a bit of a secret anymore. Its a shame we havent got that magic of having a track that can build for months where not everyones hearing it.
R: Once a DJ plays it and its out there on the internet everyone hears it.
R: More intimate clubs. You come to festivals like this and theyre amazing but more regular weekly clubs. I miss the fact that you could go to a club and thered be a residence DJs there and sorta the same crowd every week theres not much of that now, not in London anyway.
S: Yeah the number of clubs that have closed down in London even in the last five years let alone in the last 20 years is unbelievable. In the 90s when we were first kinda starting out, like I said, there were loads of clubs. So thats a shame, but thats what evolution and progression are all about things change.
S: It wasnt particularly the great club ever but we played at this club in Thailand called The Green Mango. We played it at the turn of the new Millennium.
R: It was on the beach, and the club after-
S: Nope, youve gotten that wrong, I remember because I had chosen the song when the clock struck twelve Wasnt a trance song by the way, it was All You Need Is Love by The Beatles.
R: South America. Id like to play in Argentina. Ive always heard people going on about the vibe there.
S: Buenos Aires is an amazing city, wed love to play there.
R: I listen to so many different things Jon Hopkins. Hes not new new, but every time I hear his new stuff its always completely nutty.
S: If were talking about non-trance, like non-dance music. A band Ive loved over the past few years is a band called Jungle, which is a weird band from England that has a sort of Earth Wind and Fire vibe, sorta funky, groovy music.
R: The mushrooms in Campania. [Laughs] I mean technically its a cuisine, right?
S: I think Thailand had the best food, I love Thai food.
S: Always help others, thats my message.
R: Thats what the trance family is about, sticking together and helping each other out theres something special about that.
Website | Facebook | Twitter| SoundCloud | YouTube
Originally posted here:
- Discover: 'You're getting sleepy' the amazing science of hypnosis - Sudbury.com - July 21st, 2020
- Dance Bii with WesdaRuler, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- MCs, Stunts and Doing Keys: Behind the Scenes With Bad Boy Chiller Crew - VICE UK - July 21st, 2020
- Blackpool nurse is a hit as guest DJ on Dave Pearce Delirium show as a thank you to key workers - Blackpool Gazette - July 21st, 2020
- Tisto to unveil VER:WEST at Tomorrowland's Around The World - Dancing Astronaut - July 21st, 2020
- Magic Beans Gather At Beanstalk: At The Drive-In Part Deux With SunSquabi, Dynohunter, More [Photos] - Live for Live Music - July 21st, 2020
- People who are easily hypnotized are more likely to be addicted to their smartphones, study finds - PsyPost - July 21st, 2020
- INTERVIEW | Gautham Menon feels a big film is all that is needed to bring audience back to theaters - The New Indian Express - July 21st, 2020
- Back in the pool: the new rules of swimming - The Irish Times - July 21st, 2020
- Bachelorette: Brother of Country Star Granger Smith On Clares Season - Screen Rant - July 21st, 2020
- Around the Bluhmin' Town: Dog days of summer have arrived - Verde Independent - July 21st, 2020
- Hayden James creates golden waves with this summer selection - The Irish Sun - July 21st, 2020
- Dil Bechara: Sushant Singh Rajput, Sanjana Sanghi Take On Paris And Find Ways To Khulke Jeena Ka - Mashable India - July 21st, 2020
- Trance Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary - May 24th, 2020
- Paatal Lok actor Ishwak Singh: Its a trance when you get a part like Imran Ansari - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Gareth Emery Announces First-Ever UNPLUGGED Digital Concert Featuring the Greatest Vocalists in Trance Music - EDM Sauce - May 24th, 2020
- Trichotillomania, Isolation and Anxiety: What to Do? - The New York Times - May 24th, 2020
- Review | Clowns by Trance Effect - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- Letter: Let's change how we are responding to COVID-19 - Northwest Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Push your musical abilities with online classes from these city-based artistes - Telegraph India - May 24th, 2020
- Celebrate 20 Years of Above & Beyond and Anjunabeats With New Compilation + Club Mix Collection - EDMTunes - May 24th, 2020
- The virtual dance music festival is officially a thing - Las Vegas Weekly - May 24th, 2020
- Currents | The Western Ghats, Trance Effect, Osho Jain and more - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- FM Announces Second Trance Of Economic Package, Aims At Farmers, Migrant Workers, Street Vendors And Affordable Housing - Business Standard - May 17th, 2020
- Lady Gaga has given$ 52, mi-for a project, and it is in a trance - Matzav Review - May 17th, 2020
- The Trout Were Socially Distant, but Not the Family Memories - The New York Times - May 17th, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Top EDM Singer... - One EDM - May 17th, 2020
- Tune to hold tight - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2020
- Fahadh Faasil and Nazriya Nazim's Love Story: From proposal on the sets of Bangalore Days to their marriage - PINKVILLA - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 survivor and DJ John Acquaviva joins other London DJs at benefit for mental health - St. Thomas Times-Journal - May 17th, 2020
- My self-control has gone. I'll take anything that's delivered to my door - The Guardian - May 17th, 2020
- Trance (2013) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 4th, 2020
- Tomorrowland takes on another week with its unique live broadcast United Through Music - Rave Jungle - May 4th, 2020
- Here's where the climax scene of 'Trance' was shot - The News Minute - April 24th, 2020
- 20 Questions With Paul van Dyk: The Trance Icon on Growing Up in East Berlin & Why Social Distancing 'Is Incor - Billboard - April 24th, 2020
- Charlotte de Witte Showcases Two Sides of Her Production Abilities With 'Hold That Sucker Down' Remixes - CULTR - April 24th, 2020
- Above & Beyond's Tony McGuiness re-creates the first episode of 'Trance Around The World' - We Rave You - April 24th, 2020
- Glide Into the Weekend With Steny and Replay M's Pulsating Deep House Single "Nightshift" - EDM.com - April 24th, 2020
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: BoxVR DLC, Baby Shark, and Meditation - VR Fitness Insider - April 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic: 'I think that the tennis industry needs to keep evolving' - Tennis World USA - April 24th, 2020
- PREMIERE: Hugo Costin shares plaintive and poignant new album - Happy Mag - April 24th, 2020
- Zerohs BLQLYTE is a choose-your-own-adventure journey into the psyche - The FADER - April 24th, 2020
- Murder House Flip: The Quibi series' showrunner on why he wanted to flip murder houses. - Slate - April 7th, 2020
- Darlene Snell and Wyatt Langmore Relationship on Ozark, Explained - menshealth.com - April 7th, 2020
- Trance (2020) - IMDb - March 24th, 2020
- Amazon.com: Watch Trance | Prime Video - March 24th, 2020
- How to Wake Up From the Trance of Unworthiness - Good News Network - March 24th, 2020
- Every concert you can livestream on March 23 during the coronavirus outbreak - CNET - March 24th, 2020
- Best Uplifting Trance Mix - All Time Favourites #1 - February 27th, 2020
- The most requested title track composed by Vinayakan from 'Trance' is here! - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Witness The Essence of Trance [25 Years of RAM] - EDMTunes - February 27th, 2020
- 'Trance' review: Fails to impress overall despite its bold theme - THE WEEK - February 27th, 2020
- Fahad Faasil's 'Trance' takes on the business of religion - Gulf News - February 27th, 2020
- Manju Warrier joining Padavettu to Trance release, here are the weekly highlights of Mollywood - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Mike Zaloxx explores the realm of trance with new banger 'Saving Night' - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Best EDM Nightclubs Where You Can Rave in Chicago - UrbanMatter - February 27th, 2020
- Leander Paes reminisces about being in the zone that night in Atlanta - Olympic Channel - February 27th, 2020
- Mickey Hart's Ghosts of Congo Square - Relix - February 27th, 2020
- Armin van Buuren announces all ages 'This is Blah Blah Blah' show - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Paul van Dyk and Dermot Kennedy lead strong live music weekend at The Ritz in Ybor City - Creative Loafing Tampa - February 27th, 2020
- Trance (2020 film) - Wikipedia - February 15th, 2020
- Bryan Kearney Holds No Restraints With His Varied Trance Projects [Interview] - EDM.com - February 15th, 2020
- Paul Van Dyk's 'Duality' Is a Thumping Trance Mood Made For the Club: Exclusive - Billboard - February 15th, 2020
- Fahadh, Nazriya open up about acting together before and after marriage - Onmanorama - February 15th, 2020
- This tactical RPG mixes real-time combat and rewinding to make you a time traveling mage - PC Gamer - February 15th, 2020
- South Movies Releasing This Friday: Vijay Deverakonda's World Famous Lover to Fahadh Faasil's Trance - PINKVILLA - February 15th, 2020
- Trance: Explore Trance Music at Beatport - January 18th, 2020
- Cosmic Gate Reflect on 20 Years of Trance [In-Depth Interview] - EDM Identity - January 18th, 2020
- FahadhNazriya starrer Trance to hit theatres on Feb 14 - Mathrubhumi English - January 18th, 2020
- This 1975 "Sweet Dreams" of Emmylou Harris Will Surely Put You in A Trance - Country Thang Daily - January 18th, 2020
- The science of hypnosis: What is it and how does it work? - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Review: KAS:ST - Hold Me To The Light (Tale Of Us Remix) - Resident Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- Song Lyrics of 'Black Swan' by BTS - Glamsham - January 18th, 2020
- AGF crowns top green events of 2019 - IQ Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Out In the Reeds With Beth Custer - East Bay Express - January 12th, 2020
- Whethan Returns with New Single "Stay Forever" and Fantasy Tour - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Eyes Everywhere Gets Us Ready for the Club with 'Coupla Blues' [Exclusive Premiere] - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup | MOOSE GAZETTE - Moose Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- Tame Impala Try To Save You From Sinking Into The Past On Lost In Yesterday - MTV.com - January 12th, 2020