Last week, Rolling Stone published an article by David S. Cohen, a law professor who thinks the Second Amendment should be repealed. The Second Amendment needs to be repealed because it is outdated, a threat to liberty and a suicide pact, writes Cohen. When the Second Amendment was adopted in 1791, there were no weapons remotely like the AR-15 assault rifle and many of the advances of modern weaponry were long from being invented or popularized.
In the wake of the Orlando massacre, Cohen reasons, now is the time to acknowledge a profound but obvious truththe Second Amendment is wrong for this country and needs to be jettisoned.
This isnt the first time liberals have mused out loud about whether the Second Amendment is really necessary, or whether it really means individuals have a right to own guns. But tragedies like Orlando seem to revive all the old arguments. Not that commentators are very knowledgeable about the weapons theyd like to ban. An AR-15, for example, cant fire 700 rounds per minute, nor can any guy whos taken a shop class modify a semi-automatic rifle into a fully automatic in five minutes, as Michael Moore seems to think.
But even if an AR-15 only fires once every time you squeeze the trigger, even if it cant be easily converted into an automatic, just taking the rifle for what it is, liberals want to know: who needs a gun like that? How many rounds do you need to be able to fire per minute to kill a deer, or ward off a burglar? Does anyone really need a 25-round magazine? Isnt the only reason for such firepower to make killing people as efficient as possible? Isnt this a weapon of war? Why would American civilians need to own weapons of war?
Turns out, thats precisely the right question to ask. The Second Amendment, after all, doesnt recognize our right to hunt deer or protect ourselves from criminals. Owning guns certainly makes doing those things easier, but its not why the Founders bothered to codify gun rights. They were getting at something elsethe right of revolution.
Simply put, the purpose of the Second Amendment is to give the people the means to overthrow the government in the event it becomes tyrannical.
Most gun control advocates scoff at this. Indeed, its an argument that even some conservatives are hesitant to make. How could the people, armed with rifles and pistols, overthrow the government? On its face, it seems absurd.
More on that in a minute. But first, consider that the Second Amendment is unique among the amendments enumerated in the Bill of Rights because it contains a kind of explanatory preamble: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Edward J. Erler, a political science professor at California State University, San Bernardino, and an expert on the Second Amendment, has argued that the right of revolution is asserted in the Declaration of Independence, which states that governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governednot every power, only just powers, which the people delegate to a government that is by definition limited to the purposes for which it was established, the Safety and Happiness of the people. Furthermore, the Declaration states that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. Erler says this is what has come to be known as the right of revolution,
an essential ingredient of the social compact and a right which is always reserved to the people. The people can never cede or delegate this ultimate expression of sovereign power. Thus, in a very important sense, the right of revolution (or even its threat) is the right that guarantees every other right. And if the people have this right as an indefeasible aspect of their sovereignty, then, by necessity, the people also have a right to the means to revolution. Only an armed people are a sovereign people, and only an armed people are a free peoplethe people are indeed a militia.
In recent years an argument has become popular on the American Left that the Second Amendment means only that a well regulated militia has the right to bear arms, not individuals. The idea is that, say, the State of Texas can form a militia and arm it accordingly, but individual Texans have no inherent right to the private ownership of firearms.
In 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court repudiated this idea in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller. The late Justice Antonin Scalia wrote the opinion for the majority and quoted Blackstones Commentaries on the Laws of England, which recognizes the natural right of resistance and self-preservation. Scalia insisted that the Second Amendment acknowledges rights that predate the Constitution, such as the right of revolution.
But Erler argues that Scalia was wrong to imply that Second Amendment rights were codified from the common lawthey were, in fact, natural rights, deriving their status from the Laws of Nature and of Natures God. Like the right to revolution, the right to self-defense or self-preservation can never be ceded to government.
So what does this mean in practice? Are we to conclude that the Founders imagined a day when civilians armed with AR-15s and Glocks might one day march on Washington DC if the government ever became tyrannical? If the Second Amendment guarantees our right to the means of revolution, does that mean civilians should also be allowed to own tanks and artillery?
Not quite. The Founders thought standing armies were a threat to liberty, which means they surely would have thought that standing private armies constituted the same threat. Self-preservation and self-defense might be natural right, but even in Heller the Supreme Court indicated that there could be reasonable limitations on gun ownership.
To answer the scoffers on the Left, though, imagine what an American revolutionthe exercise of first principlesmight look like in the twenty-firstcentury. The government, or a branch of it (most likely the executive) becomes destructive to the ends for which it was established. It tyrannizes the people, takes their property, deprives them of their rights, destroys their lives. A revolution, or an abolishment of that government, would likely not be a civilian undertaking but a military one. Working in conjunction with other branches of the federal government and perhaps some state governments, the military would effect a coup dtat.
It would likely be a kind of civil war, and civilians would likely be caught up in it at some point. Perhaps they would form local militias to defend their homes and businesses. Perhaps they would volunteer their services to military commanders or state police forces. Perhaps they would simply want to ensure the safety of their families.
To do any of that, they would need to be armed. Just as the Founders envisioned.
Read this article:
The Second Amendment Is About Revolution
- The Second Amendment was ratified to preserve slavery - July 12th, 2016
- Minn. police shooting reignites debate over Second Amendment ... - July 12th, 2016
- The Right to Bear Arms - July 12th, 2016
- Second Amendment Basics | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence - July 3rd, 2016
- The Second Amendment, the Bill of Rights, and the ... - June 25th, 2016
- Don't Bank On The Supreme Court To Clarify The Second ... - June 16th, 2016
- Why It's Time to Repeal the Second Amendment - June 14th, 2016
- there is no Second Amendment protection for ... - cnn.com - June 10th, 2016
- Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment right to bear arms ... - June 7th, 2016
- Politics & 2nd Amendment Archives - Guns.com - May 25th, 2016
- Second Amendment - lawbrain.com - May 20th, 2016
- Second Amendment Sports - Bakersfield, CA - Yelp - April 18th, 2016
- Second Amendment - Conservapedia - October 20th, 2015
- Second Amendment | Fox News - October 20th, 2015
- The Second Amendment Is a Gun-Control Amendment - October 4th, 2015
- Clinton at private fundraiser: SCOTUS is wrong about the ... - October 4th, 2015
- Obama Mocks Second Amendment Supporters For Crack Pot ... - October 4th, 2015
- Second Amendment - September 25th, 2015
- 7th Circuit Court: Illegal Immigrants Have Second ... - August 29th, 2015
- Court Rules Illegal Aliens Have Second Amendment Rights ... - August 27th, 2015
- Second Amendment - Text, Origins, and Meaning - July 12th, 2015
- Second Amendment : Pictures, Videos, Breaking News - July 9th, 2015
- Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution - May 30th, 2015
- Second Amendment | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia ... - May 28th, 2015
- Brantley Gilbert Inks His Love For The Second Amendment ... - May 13th, 2015
- 2nd Amendment advocates push to repeal switchblade, other ... - May 12th, 2015
- 2015 NRA Convention Interview with Michigan 2nd Amendment Supporters - Video - April 14th, 2015
- Second Amendment Youth Leadership Conference Wrap-Up - Video - April 14th, 2015
- PASTOR SAYS BLACKS NEED TO GET GUNS AND FIGHT BACK - Video - April 14th, 2015
- Second Amendment - Web Mashup for Second, Amendment ... - April 14th, 2015
- Six takeaways from the NRA convention - April 13th, 2015
- More than 70,000 people attended event - April 13th, 2015
- RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS? Police grabs of legal guns on the rise across US - April 13th, 2015
- The Death of the Second Amendment - Video - April 12th, 2015
- Ben Carson Speaks on Second Amendment at NRA Leadership Forum - Video - April 12th, 2015
- As Scott Walker addresses NRA, concealed carry vote criticized - April 12th, 2015
- GUN RIGHTS UNDER FIRE Illegal police grabs of legal firearms rising nationwide - April 12th, 2015
- Colt 1911 Gold Cup Pistol for Sale - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Some Conservative Lawmakers Working To Roll Back Gun Restrictions - Second Amendment - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Teaching the Bill of Rights: The Second Amendment - Part One - Video - April 11th, 2015
- SUNSET ON THE SECOND AMENDMENT 1080p - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Donald Rumsfeld, former Secretary of Defense - Video - April 11th, 2015
- GOP hopefuls flock to NRA cattle call - April 11th, 2015
- Nevada Panel OKs Bill to Create Pro-Second Amendment License Plates - April 11th, 2015
- NRA wants more than 'Second Amendment' - April 11th, 2015
- Is encryption the Second Amendment for the Internet? - April 11th, 2015
- Rand Paul calls NRA snub 'petty' - April 11th, 2015
- The truth about the NRA's snub of Rand Paul - April 11th, 2015
- Backing Out Sun Trust Bank Terminates Gun Shop's Accounts Second Amendment Fox & Friends - Video - April 8th, 2015
- 2nd Amendment Keychain - RTBA - Video - April 8th, 2015
- Dr. Rand Paul on the Second Amendment - Video - April 8th, 2015
- 4.7.15 | Second Scoop: Justice in Jersey, Detroit's Top Cop & CCW, Clear Channel Controversy - Video - April 8th, 2015
- Second Amendment Foundation Takes Case Of Arizona Navy Vet ... - April 8th, 2015
- State GOP lawmakers look to roll back gun restrictions after midterm wins - VIDEO: Pols work to roll back gun ... - April 8th, 2015
- NRA Convention Coming To Nashville This Week - April 8th, 2015
- Two Charter Amendments to Be Voted on During Dundee Election - April 7th, 2015
- State GOP lawmakers working to roll back gun restrictions after midterm wins - April 7th, 2015
- GUN RIGHTS BATTLES GOP state legislators seek to ease gun codes - April 7th, 2015
- SAF Takes Case of Arizona Navy Vet Whose Guns Were Seized - April 7th, 2015
- Second Amendment Hoodie | Spreadshirt | ID: 101726003 - April 5th, 2015
- Colt Commander Pistol for Sale - Video - April 3rd, 2015
- SCLC calling on blacks to Exercise Second Amendment Rights - Video - April 3rd, 2015
- District Drops Appeal Of SAF Concealed Carry Victory - April 3rd, 2015
- SCLC president suspended after comments regarding 2nd Amendment - April 3rd, 2015
- BladeFit and 2A Rights. Second Amendment rules! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- SCLC suspends Georgia Chapter President for call to bear arms - April 2nd, 2015
- SCLC calling on blacks to "Exercise Second Amendment Rights" - March 31st, 2015
- House approves amended re-homing bill - March 31st, 2015
- David Mierswa Second Amendment Part 2 - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Second Amendment in the 21st Century / New York Ideas 2014 - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Campus Carry Talk, How the Second Amendment Applies to Campus Carry - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Bearing ArmsRubio, Jordan File "Second Amendment ... - March 29th, 2015
- Sen. Rubio, Rep. Jordan propose repealing D.C. gun control laws - March 28th, 2015
- SD Attorney General Urges ATF to Respect Second Amendment - Video - March 27th, 2015
- The second amendment explained to #gunsense supporters - Video - March 27th, 2015
- Who's Going After D.C.'s Gun Laws? Marco Rubio Edition. - March 27th, 2015
- Giveaway Prizes for April 7 2015 - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Rant on guns - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Second Amendment Shirts - Video - March 25th, 2015
- Ensuring the Second Amendment Protections - Video - March 25th, 2015