A plan to build self-sufficient floating cities outside of national borders features in thelatest movie from our Dezeen x MINI Living video series.
The Seasteading Institute is a non-profit organisation founded by political economic theorist Patri Friedman and Paypal co-founder Peter Thiel.
The organisation aims to build "start-up countries" at sea, known as "seasteads", that offer greater freedom for innovation in science, technology and politics.
According to its website, the institute's goal is to develop "open spaces for experimenting with new societies" in order to "allow the next generation of pioneers to peacefully test new ideas for how to live together".
The company claims that building floating cities will offeran alternative to conventional models of governance, with few regulations.
The government of French Polynesia has signed an agreement with The Seasteading Institute to cooperate on the creation of a pilot city in a lagoon near Tahiti.
The test city, entitled the Floating City Project, will act as proof-of-concept for the organisation's plan to build further settlements at sea.
The Seasteading Institute plans to build the city using existing floating architecturetechnology developed by Dutch engineering firm Deltasync.
The city would be built on amodular networkof rectangular andpentagonalplatforms sothat itcould bereconfiguredaccording tothe needs of its inhabitants.
The reinforced concrete platforms will support three-storey buildings includingapartments, offices and hotels for up to 100 years, according to a feasibility report produced by Deltasync.
It is expected thatbetween 250 and 300 people will live aboard the settlement. Development of the city is expected to beginin early 2018.
This movie is part of Dezeen x MINI Living Initiative, a year-long collaboration with MINI exploring how architecture and design can contribute to a brighter urban future through a series of videos and talks.
Read more from the original source:
- Ephemerisle is Burning Man on boats in the Sacramento River Delta - San Francisco Chronicle - July 5th, 2020
- Seasteading a vanity project for the rich or the future of humanity? - The Guardian - June 24th, 2020
- John Bolton's explosive new book, COVID-19 spikes in these three states and meet Kim Jong Un's enforcer - NBC News - June 24th, 2020
- Seasteading | Ocean Builders - December 24th, 2019
- Future ahoy: Are you ready to live in a floating city? - San Francisco Chronicle - October 7th, 2019
- The Seasteading Institute - Home | Facebook - August 16th, 2017
- Peter Thiel - Wikipedia - July 28th, 2017
- Floating City Project Wants To Make A "Deregulated" Hub Of Scientific Research - IFLScience - July 28th, 2017
- "Unregulated scientific innovation on an isolated island? Sounds like a very bad thing" - Dezeen - July 26th, 2017
- What does a boat party have to do with reinventing government? Find out at Ephemerisle - Sacramento Bee - July 23rd, 2017
- Auditor-General won't investigate Thiel citizenship - Otago Daily Times - July 18th, 2017
- Auditor-General won't be investigating Peter Thiel's NZ citizenship - The National Business Review - July 17th, 2017
- Floating City: Will Rising Sea Levels Force People To Move Into Ocean Homes? - International Business Times - July 11th, 2017
- The 'seasteading' movement imagines floating cities in the sea - WBFO - July 10th, 2017
- The 'seasteading' movement imagines floating cities in the sea - PRI - July 9th, 2017
- Jetsons in reality soon? A city in Earth orbit may not be too far away in future - Financial Express - July 8th, 2017
- Who is Peter Thiel? | Radio New Zealand News - Radio New Zealand - June 29th, 2017
- Living on Earth: PRI's Environmental News Magazine - June 28th, 2017
- ZenCash's Robert Viglione Talks Borderless Cryptocurrency and More - Finance Magnates - June 24th, 2017
- As sea levels rise, are floating cities the future? - Yale Climate Connections - June 8th, 2017
- Libertarians Seek a Home on the High Seas - New Republic - May 30th, 2017
- How to build your own country - CNN - May 30th, 2017
- Floating island off Tahiti won't harm says environmentalist - Radio New Zealand - May 26th, 2017
- Floating island off Tahiti aims to be eco-friendly - Radio New Zealand - May 26th, 2017
- Seasteading by Joe Quirk on iBooks - itunes.apple.com - May 22nd, 2017
- Seasteading - bitcointalk.org - May 22nd, 2017
- Facebook, Google greed will lead us to info armageddon - The Reporter - May 20th, 2017
- Facebook and Google greed will lead us to information armageddon - NEWS.com.au - May 18th, 2017
- New nature books ready for spring | Sports Columns | register ... - Beckley Register-Herald - May 7th, 2017
- Real Utopia: The World's First Floating City May Be Built in the Pacific - Sputnik International - April 7th, 2017
- A floating techno-libertarian city might be coming to the Pacific - Mashable - April 7th, 2017
- 6 Examples Of Billionaires Acting Like Supervillains - Benzinga - April 3rd, 2017
- Editor's Insight: Money-losing ethics, seasteading, Mansfield and more - The National Business Review - April 2nd, 2017
- Faced with rising seas, French Polynesia ponders floating islands - The Guam Daily Post (press release) (registration) - March 21st, 2017
- Floating countries of the future - this could be your new home - ABC Online - March 17th, 2017
- Imagine a Silicon Valley of the Sea - Bloomberg - March 17th, 2017
- This Shipping Route Map Shows Why Floating Cities May Make Sense - Inverse - March 10th, 2017
- 'Logan' proves Wolverine is the most libertarian superhero ever - Red Alert Politics - March 6th, 2017
- Why French Polynesia Could Have the World's First Floating City - Architectural Digest - February 24th, 2017
- Rethinking 21st Century needs - Newsday - February 23rd, 2017
- French Polynesia signs agreement for Floating Island Project - Bizcommunity.com - February 9th, 2017
- Could Floating Cities Help Us Adapt to Climate Change? - Triple Pundit (registration) (blog) - February 6th, 2017
- Seasteading | Book by Joe Quirk, Patri Friedman | Official ... - January 31st, 2017
- Architectural Design Contest | The Seasteading Institute - January 27th, 2017
- Tyler Cowen: Ahoy, young libertarian! Seasteading could ... - December 11th, 2016
- The Education of a Libertarian | Cato Unbound - November 21st, 2016
- Live Free or Drown: Floating Utopias on the Cheap | WIRED - September 3rd, 2016
- Seasteading Institute aims to build floating city by 2020 - August 10th, 2016
- FAQ | The Seasteading Institute - July 5th, 2016
- FAQ | The Seasteading Institute - July 3rd, 2016
- The Problem with Seasteading | Bottom-up - June 30th, 2016
- Seasteading | Online Only | n+1 - June 28th, 2016
- Seastead - Seasteading - June 28th, 2016
- User:Vincecate - Seasteading - June 28th, 2016
- PayPal Founder Peter Thiel Continues to Tout Anti-Government ... - June 28th, 2016
- The Seasteading Institute Discussion Forum - June 26th, 2016
- The Problem with Seasteading | Bottom-up - June 19th, 2016
- Seasteading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 17th, 2016
- Seasteading Wikipedia - June 16th, 2016
- Patri's World - June 12th, 2016
- Seasteading - RationalWiki - June 12th, 2016
- Patri's World - June 10th, 2016
- Patri Friedman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - March 27th, 2016
- Seasteading - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre - March 26th, 2016
- Ephemerisle: The First Step in Seasteading or Just a Party? - March 26th, 2016