Weve all seen it in the movies, a hypnotist dangling a pocket watch in front of an unsuspecting participant, an enchanted crowd looking on and hanging on to every word. Suddenly the participant is in a trance and completely at the mercy of the mysticist. He will cluck like a chicken, laugh deliriously and reveal his darkest secrets.
Representational image. Image source: Getty Images.
It is depictions like these that have kept hypnosis mostly on the fringes and given it a supernatural element. However, hypnotherapy or hypnotic suggestion has evolved into an important supplemental theory and is used for different purposes, from smoking cessation to pain relief. It is still unclear what exactly goes on during the process, but certain theories and recent physiological studies have explained the changes that take place in the mind of those who are hypnotized.
Hypnosis is a trance-like state in which people are more open to suggestibility, are relaxed and likely to process information differently. It is usually induced by gentle verbal repetition and mental images in a quiet and calm environment. This phase is called induction and the goal of the therapist is to focus the attention of the participant on the modulation and instructions issued by them.
Hypnosis can last anywhere between a few seconds to over half an hour and depends on the hypnotisability of the participant. A fifth of people are likely to get hypnotized, the same proportion completely resistant to it, while the remainder experience it in some form.
The suggestion phase involves the hypnotist giving guiding the participant through the process. This includes invoking memories of or thinking about past events. Acclaimed psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud had suggested that hypnosis works by unlocking access to the subconscious, as it is the seat of reasoning and assimilating information, and performing involuntary body tasks such as breathing - all in the background.
Freuds suggestions have mostly been discredited, and the concept of top-down processing has been employed to explain the effects of hypnosis.
You may hear from your ears, but you really listen from your brain. Any new information the brain receives is processed based on past experiences and the framework developed by an individuals mind. Our perceptions are therefore determined by the inclination and patterns of our mind, rather than the simple process of decoding raw data.
This explains the concept of placebo to a large extent; it is enough for the mind to be fooled into thinking that something is going on for there to be a physiological reaction to it. This may be why hypnosis works as well - in the heightened state of suggestibility, any aides or direction will feel legitimate and seem to be the reality.
Additionally, EEGs of those in hypnotic states have shown a boost in lower frequency waves - usually seen in a person when asleep.
Subsequent studies have shown marked changes in different parts of the brain: activity on the left side of the brain goes down, and activity in the right goes up. The left part of the brain is believed to be critical, helping with deduction and reasoning, and the right part with creativity and imagination. These physiological changes may begin to explain why hypnosis works.
Children below the age of 12 are much more likely to respond to hypnosis as they are more impressionable and havent developed mature processing pathways. Adults also differ in degrees of hypnotisability; for hypnosis to work, one must want it to work and be trusting of the therapist.
Hypnotic therapy is known to have been successful in cases of behaviour change such as tobacco cessation and weight loss. A 2007 randomised control trial showed that 20% of those who received hypnotic treatment gave up on tobacco as opposed to 14% who received standard behavioural therapy. Another study dealing with weight loss interventions showed that those who received hypnotic therapy along with behavioural therapy lost double the amount of weight than those who just received behavioural therapy.
Hypnotherapy even has applications for pain relief and mental health issues such as stress and anxiety.
While the evidence is encouraging, researchers and medical professionals alike emphasize that hypnosis is a supplementary treatment and must be used alongside cognitive behavioural therapy. It also must be recommended by a medical professional.
Hypnotherapy runs the risk of being exploited by frauds and can have harmful effects, and is not expected to work right away. Swift, non-specific programs that attract a large audience are likely to be ineffectual and based on questionable science, bordering on cults.
Health articles in Firstpost are written by myUpchar.com, Indias first and biggest resource for verified medical information. At myUpchar, researchers and journalists work with doctors to bring you information on all things health.
Updated Date: Jan 18, 2020 12:11:50 IST
Tags : Does Hypnosis Work, How Hypnosis Works, Hypnosis, Hypnosis For Quitting Smoking, Hypnotherapy, Hypnotic Suggestion, Mental Health, NewsTracker
Here is the original post:
- Discover: 'You're getting sleepy' the amazing science of hypnosis - Sudbury.com - July 21st, 2020
- Dance Bii with WesdaRuler, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- MCs, Stunts and Doing Keys: Behind the Scenes With Bad Boy Chiller Crew - VICE UK - July 21st, 2020
- Blackpool nurse is a hit as guest DJ on Dave Pearce Delirium show as a thank you to key workers - Blackpool Gazette - July 21st, 2020
- Tisto to unveil VER:WEST at Tomorrowland's Around The World - Dancing Astronaut - July 21st, 2020
- Magic Beans Gather At Beanstalk: At The Drive-In Part Deux With SunSquabi, Dynohunter, More [Photos] - Live for Live Music - July 21st, 2020
- People who are easily hypnotized are more likely to be addicted to their smartphones, study finds - PsyPost - July 21st, 2020
- INTERVIEW | Gautham Menon feels a big film is all that is needed to bring audience back to theaters - The New Indian Express - July 21st, 2020
- Back in the pool: the new rules of swimming - The Irish Times - July 21st, 2020
- Bachelorette: Brother of Country Star Granger Smith On Clares Season - Screen Rant - July 21st, 2020
- Around the Bluhmin' Town: Dog days of summer have arrived - Verde Independent - July 21st, 2020
- Hayden James creates golden waves with this summer selection - The Irish Sun - July 21st, 2020
- Dil Bechara: Sushant Singh Rajput, Sanjana Sanghi Take On Paris And Find Ways To Khulke Jeena Ka - Mashable India - July 21st, 2020
- Trance Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary - May 24th, 2020
- Paatal Lok actor Ishwak Singh: Its a trance when you get a part like Imran Ansari - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Gareth Emery Announces First-Ever UNPLUGGED Digital Concert Featuring the Greatest Vocalists in Trance Music - EDM Sauce - May 24th, 2020
- Trichotillomania, Isolation and Anxiety: What to Do? - The New York Times - May 24th, 2020
- Review | Clowns by Trance Effect - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- Letter: Let's change how we are responding to COVID-19 - Northwest Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Push your musical abilities with online classes from these city-based artistes - Telegraph India - May 24th, 2020
- Celebrate 20 Years of Above & Beyond and Anjunabeats With New Compilation + Club Mix Collection - EDMTunes - May 24th, 2020
- The virtual dance music festival is officially a thing - Las Vegas Weekly - May 24th, 2020
- Currents | The Western Ghats, Trance Effect, Osho Jain and more - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- FM Announces Second Trance Of Economic Package, Aims At Farmers, Migrant Workers, Street Vendors And Affordable Housing - Business Standard - May 17th, 2020
- Lady Gaga has given$ 52, mi-for a project, and it is in a trance - Matzav Review - May 17th, 2020
- The Trout Were Socially Distant, but Not the Family Memories - The New York Times - May 17th, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Top EDM Singer... - One EDM - May 17th, 2020
- Tune to hold tight - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2020
- Fahadh Faasil and Nazriya Nazim's Love Story: From proposal on the sets of Bangalore Days to their marriage - PINKVILLA - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 survivor and DJ John Acquaviva joins other London DJs at benefit for mental health - St. Thomas Times-Journal - May 17th, 2020
- My self-control has gone. I'll take anything that's delivered to my door - The Guardian - May 17th, 2020
- Trance (2013) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 4th, 2020
- Tomorrowland takes on another week with its unique live broadcast United Through Music - Rave Jungle - May 4th, 2020
- Here's where the climax scene of 'Trance' was shot - The News Minute - April 24th, 2020
- 20 Questions With Paul van Dyk: The Trance Icon on Growing Up in East Berlin & Why Social Distancing 'Is Incor - Billboard - April 24th, 2020
- Charlotte de Witte Showcases Two Sides of Her Production Abilities With 'Hold That Sucker Down' Remixes - CULTR - April 24th, 2020
- Above & Beyond's Tony McGuiness re-creates the first episode of 'Trance Around The World' - We Rave You - April 24th, 2020
- Glide Into the Weekend With Steny and Replay M's Pulsating Deep House Single "Nightshift" - EDM.com - April 24th, 2020
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: BoxVR DLC, Baby Shark, and Meditation - VR Fitness Insider - April 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic: 'I think that the tennis industry needs to keep evolving' - Tennis World USA - April 24th, 2020
- PREMIERE: Hugo Costin shares plaintive and poignant new album - Happy Mag - April 24th, 2020
- Zerohs BLQLYTE is a choose-your-own-adventure journey into the psyche - The FADER - April 24th, 2020
- Murder House Flip: The Quibi series' showrunner on why he wanted to flip murder houses. - Slate - April 7th, 2020
- Darlene Snell and Wyatt Langmore Relationship on Ozark, Explained - menshealth.com - April 7th, 2020
- Trance (2020) - IMDb - March 24th, 2020
- Amazon.com: Watch Trance | Prime Video - March 24th, 2020
- How to Wake Up From the Trance of Unworthiness - Good News Network - March 24th, 2020
- Every concert you can livestream on March 23 during the coronavirus outbreak - CNET - March 24th, 2020
- Best Uplifting Trance Mix - All Time Favourites #1 - February 27th, 2020
- The most requested title track composed by Vinayakan from 'Trance' is here! - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Witness The Essence of Trance [25 Years of RAM] - EDMTunes - February 27th, 2020
- 'Trance' review: Fails to impress overall despite its bold theme - THE WEEK - February 27th, 2020
- Fahad Faasil's 'Trance' takes on the business of religion - Gulf News - February 27th, 2020
- Manju Warrier joining Padavettu to Trance release, here are the weekly highlights of Mollywood - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Mike Zaloxx explores the realm of trance with new banger 'Saving Night' - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Best EDM Nightclubs Where You Can Rave in Chicago - UrbanMatter - February 27th, 2020
- Leander Paes reminisces about being in the zone that night in Atlanta - Olympic Channel - February 27th, 2020
- Mickey Hart's Ghosts of Congo Square - Relix - February 27th, 2020
- Armin van Buuren announces all ages 'This is Blah Blah Blah' show - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Paul van Dyk and Dermot Kennedy lead strong live music weekend at The Ritz in Ybor City - Creative Loafing Tampa - February 27th, 2020
- Trance (2020 film) - Wikipedia - February 15th, 2020
- Bryan Kearney Holds No Restraints With His Varied Trance Projects [Interview] - EDM.com - February 15th, 2020
- Paul Van Dyk's 'Duality' Is a Thumping Trance Mood Made For the Club: Exclusive - Billboard - February 15th, 2020
- Fahadh, Nazriya open up about acting together before and after marriage - Onmanorama - February 15th, 2020
- This tactical RPG mixes real-time combat and rewinding to make you a time traveling mage - PC Gamer - February 15th, 2020
- South Movies Releasing This Friday: Vijay Deverakonda's World Famous Lover to Fahadh Faasil's Trance - PINKVILLA - February 15th, 2020
- Trance: Explore Trance Music at Beatport - January 18th, 2020
- Cosmic Gate Reflect on 20 Years of Trance [In-Depth Interview] - EDM Identity - January 18th, 2020
- FahadhNazriya starrer Trance to hit theatres on Feb 14 - Mathrubhumi English - January 18th, 2020
- This 1975 "Sweet Dreams" of Emmylou Harris Will Surely Put You in A Trance - Country Thang Daily - January 18th, 2020
- Review: KAS:ST - Hold Me To The Light (Tale Of Us Remix) - Resident Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- Song Lyrics of 'Black Swan' by BTS - Glamsham - January 18th, 2020
- AGF crowns top green events of 2019 - IQ Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Out In the Reeds With Beth Custer - East Bay Express - January 12th, 2020
- Whethan Returns with New Single "Stay Forever" and Fantasy Tour - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Eyes Everywhere Gets Us Ready for the Club with 'Coupla Blues' [Exclusive Premiere] - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup | MOOSE GAZETTE - Moose Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- Tame Impala Try To Save You From Sinking Into The Past On Lost In Yesterday - MTV.com - January 12th, 2020
- BWW Review: HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH at Portland Center Stage - Broadway World - January 12th, 2020