Here on Earth, we have more detailed maps of Mars than of our own ocean, and thats a problem. A massive force for surviving climate change, the ocean absorbs 90% of the heat caused by emissions and generates 50% of the oxygen we breathe. We have the ocean to thank for so many aspects of our safety and well-being, says Dawn Wright, oceanographer and chief scientist at geographic information system (GIS) provider Esri, who notes the ocean also provides renewable energy, a major food source, and a transportation corridor for not only ships but submarine internet cables.
Now, the same type of smart maps and geospatial technology guiding outer space exploration support the quest to better understand and protect our ocean. For the first time, our knowledge of the ocean can approach our knowledge of the land, Wright says. We can turn the unknown deep into the known deep.
GISthe location intelligence technology businesses and governments use for everything from risk mitigation to crisis response, market analysis to operational efficiencyalso applies to the ocean. The logic is simple: the ocean supports a sustainable planet and economy, and data-rich maps can support a sustainable ocean.
More than 80% of the ocean floor remains unmapped, yet comprehensive ocean maps will be essential for stemming the problems of overfishing, habitat destruction, pollution, and biodiversity loss. Its easy, and at this point clich, to say save our ocean, but a data-driven map compels people to see why the ocean needs saving, where to start, and what needs to be done. Seeing the ocean in its true depth and complexity is exactly what we need if we hope to reduce the risk of critically damaging or exhausting marine resources, Wright says.
Since its release in 2017, the worlds first 3D ocean map spurred a revolution of innovation in ocean-related data and sustainability solutions. The 3D digital ocean map sorts global water masses into 37 distinct volumetric regions, known as ecological marine units, defined by factors in ecosystem health and recovery: temperature, salinity, oxygen, and nutrient levels. Scientists, environmental managers, fishers, and shippers, as well as citizen scientists can use the map to virtually navigate and explore the ocean.
What makes the 3D map of the worlds ocean possible is the enterprise technology capable of collecting and processing data that comes in massive volume and variety. And theres more data on the way. This whole idea of marine robotics is one of the big future visions for the ocean, Wright says. Robotics and sensors and other instruments are creating tons and tons and tons of beautiful data.
Once collected, those volumes of data go into a GIS where they are managed and processed, using artificial intelligence (AI) to quickly identify and classify information. The output of GIS, often called location intelligence, comes through as smart maps, spatial analytics, and real-time dashboardsthe same kind seen across the world this past year to track and analyze the coronavirus pandemic. These GIS-powered interactive data visualization tools bring clarity even to the most complex of issues and help steer policy and commercial decisions based on a solid grasp of whats happening now and what will happen next.
We can even make predictions in terms of what the data will be telling us in 2030, Wright explains. How warm will the coast of Florida be in 2050? Will those temperatures kill off the sea grass in that area? Will those temperatures result in a red tide around Tampa that will be so toxic it will kill all of the fisheries there?
Growing up on the Hawaiian Islands and working in American Samoa, Wright understands the ocean as a sacred place. That sentiment guides her work now with fellow scientists, government leaders, and business executives. I want people to understand that the ocean is vulnerable, Wright says. What were doing to the ocean right now is having huge consequences. Our day-to-day weather and our long-term climate fully depend on the ocean.
For Wright, the establishment and enforcement of marine protected areas, such as Cook Islands Marine Park off of New Zealand and Papahnaumokukea Marine National Monument in the US, represent a triumph in keeping the ocean protected. So far only 7% of the ocean has been marked as protected, compared to 15% of the land. Even though we have about 7% of the ocean protected in these parks or reserves, less than half of that is an area where youre not allowed to fish or take the corals or take the pretty rocks, Wright explains. So, we have a long, long, long way to go there.
Protected areas, predictive maps, and pleas from scientists certainly make an impact on corporate and policy decisions. Add to that increasing climate risk and global pressure for social responsibility. These incentives, and the GIS tools needed to respond, are motivating leaders to implement new initiatives.
For example, shipping companies are working to decrease greenhouse gas emissions by designing more efficient vessels, a move that furthers the sustainability cause while reducing business expense. Industries such as retail and manufacturing are putting circular economy principles in place to reclaim or recycle materials after the product has completed its original use. Aquaculture companies are selecting prime locations for responsible fish farming to help reduce overfishing, encourage aquatic ecosystem restoration, and recover endangered species.
Such efforts are moving us toward the vision of a sustainable ocean and thus a sustainable planet. Although Wright feels certain with so much advanced technologyits a great time to be mappingwhats less certain is whether the work scientists, governments, and companies are doing will be enough or cede results soon enough.
Concerned about mounting threats to the ocean, the United Nations has declared 2021 to 2030 the Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development. Its like the Paris Climate Accord for the ocean, Wright says. To me, its the moonshot to have something this focused for everybodygovernments, universities, nonprofit organizationsthis is a really big push.
A number of important ocean mapping projects are already in various stages of development and execution. For example, Seabed 2030 has the ambitious goal to map the entire ocean floor by the year 2030. The Map of Biodiversity Importance shares habitat models for more than 2,200 at-risk species in the contiguous United States, featuring AI predictor layers for species viability based on development plans and environmental factors. And the Ocean Health Index annually assesses ocean health by looking at social, ecological, and economic benefits to speed progress on ocean policies.
Such projects will aid socially responsible companies (those building sustainability solutions to match business opportunities) in achieving profit while preserving the ocean. Their work often revolves around complex and real-time data, stored and processed with GIS, and presented on smart maps and data visualizations with GIS. Location intelligence helps companiesespecially shipping, energy, logistics, and fishing industriesquestions like the following:
As the world slowly emerges from the pandemic and enters the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, it can do so knowing companies, scientists, and policy makers have the power to make smarter choices for people and the planet.
Those choices will be guided by comprehensive data about the ocean, the technology to map crucial information, and the understanding how, when, and where to intervene. The linchpin will be making sustainability choices in time. It turns out that the ocean is not too big to fail, unfortunately, Wright says. The good news is that its also not too big to fix.
This content was produced by Insights, the custom content arm of MIT Technology Review. It was not written by MIT Technology Reviews editorial staff.
See the article here:
- Rackspace Technology Named a Top 15 Sourcing Standout by ISG - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Enhancing the impact of Technology Modernization Fund - FCW.com - May 11th, 2021
- Converge Technology Solutions Corp. Wins Five IBM Awards Including Top North America National Sell Business Partner of the Year - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- DLS Technology Corporation Recipient of the 2020 Citrix Innovation Award for Partners - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Hempacco and Open Book Extracts to Debut Hemp Cigarette Flavoring Technology at Industry's Largest Annual Trade Show - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Experts to Discuss the Future of the Technology Supply Chain - inForney.com - May 11th, 2021
- Funny faces in face recognition could increase phone security with new technology - NBC2 News - May 11th, 2021
- Technically speaking: How technology helped save independent Dallas restaurants during the pandemic - The Dallas Morning News - May 11th, 2021
- Why International Game Technology Stock Popped Today - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2021
- Lack of Time for Analysis, Adoption of New Technology and Data Limitations are Top Challenges Facing Finance Teams, According to insightsoftware... - May 11th, 2021
- High Technology Is Best STEM School In Nation - Patch.com - May 11th, 2021
- Multiple Texas State, Local Governments and Education Institutions Modernize with GTY Technology Solutions for Digital Transformation - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan freshens up with new styling, technology, and touch controls - The Car Connection - May 11th, 2021
- Why Technology Could Be The Answer For The Global Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Marchex to Participate in the 16th Annual Virtual Needham Virtual Technology & Media Conference - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Merkle Technologies Set to Launch Revolutionary Blockchain Technology that will Enhance Ledger Communication - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Fungicide Approved with Three-Way Biological, Chemical and Nano Technologies - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - May 11th, 2021
- Worldwide Mobile Robotics Industry to 2029 - Featuring Northrop Grumman, Adept Technology and John Deere Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- Global Sports Technology Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring IBM, Cisco and Ericsson Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 10 Hot Data Center Technologies And Trends To Watch In 2021 - CRN - May 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Oleoresins Global Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- FICS Hosts 34th Annual Users' Conference, Promotes Education in Technology for Continued Success - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Loop inks LOI to become official technology partner to $2.7B All Net Resort and Arena Project in Las Vegas - Proactive Investors USA - May 11th, 2021
- Shift Technology raises $220M at a $1B+ valuation to fight insurance fraud with AI - TechCrunch - May 11th, 2021
- Hearing aids for the masses: How changing technology and government policy can help - The Denver Post - April 25th, 2021
- Safety belts, the postal 'service' and using technology - Antelope Valley Press - April 25th, 2021
- FHSU Hosting Technology Education Fair - KSAL - April 25th, 2021
- New Oriental Education & Technology Group (NYSE:EDU) May Have Issues Allocating Its Capital - Yahoo Finance - April 25th, 2021
- Cloud software marketplaces are linchpin to driving innovative technology solutions into DoD - C4ISRNet - April 25th, 2021
- Technology allowed Extension to keep doing its job - Traverse City Record Eagle - April 25th, 2021
- Abbott Vascular: delivering vascular care in 2021 | Technology & AI - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - April 25th, 2021
- The Future of Retail: BOPIS 2.0 and RFID Technology | RFID JOURNAL - RFID Journal - April 25th, 2021
- How can technology bridge fintech and SMEs to ease the lending process - YourStory - April 25th, 2021
- The good, the bad and the truly horrifying potential of CRISPR technology | TheHill - The Hill - April 25th, 2021
- How Technology Is Revolutionizing Wildlife Photography - Fstoppers - April 25th, 2021
- This has just become a big week for AI regulation - MIT Technology Review - April 25th, 2021
- SEC Commissioner on Banning Bitcoin: 'It's Very Difficult to Ban Peer-to-Peer Technology' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 25th, 2021
- Russia will rework technology developed for the ISS for its space station - SlashGear - April 25th, 2021
- Paritosh Jauhari Joins Successive Technologies as Chief Technology Officer - PR Newswire India - April 23rd, 2021
- Amazon's cashierless checkout technology is coming to its new supermarkets - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Blockchain Technology Market Value Reach US$ 3.7 Billion By 2020 Covering Pre And Post COVID-19 Market Analysis: Acumen Research And Consulting -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Verrency Ranked Number 1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in Australia on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2020 Ranking - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Wearable technology market was valued at USD 116.2 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 265.4 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 18.0%... - April 23rd, 2021
- Sharing Economy International Invests to develop NFT Technology into ECrent to Open Up Digital Items Sharing - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Inclusive Making course focuses on disabled users in technology spaces - Daily Northwestern - April 23rd, 2021
- How smart technology can drive the decarbonisation of transport - AirQualityNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Abel Noser Solutions Expands Their Technology Group with New Hires - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- EyeWay Vision Joins Technology Innovation Collective The LaSAR Alliance | ARPost - ARPost - April 23rd, 2021
- Visionox Technology, Inc. and Universal Display Corporation Extend Long-Term OLED Agreements - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- SBA Announces First-of-Its-Kind Technology Initiative for Restaurant Revitalization Fund - Drgnews - April 23rd, 2021
- Dow and Mura Technology announce partnership to scale game-changing new advanced recycling solution for plastics - Yahoo Finance - April 23rd, 2021
- II-VI Incorporated Inaugurates Technology and R&D Center in Shanghai - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Skycatch Announces New Technology Initiatives to Achieve Climate-Resilient Infrastructure Globally - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- JetBlue Technology Ventures Invests in Universal Hydrogen to Support the Airline's Ambitious Sustainability Strategy - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Apria Healthcare Collaborates with Rackspace Technology to Leave the Data Center Resulting in Improved Customer Experience and Increased Savings -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Interactive College of Technology and DeVry University Partner to Create Unique Academic Pathway to Offer Students Easy Transfer - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Airbiquity and NXP Expand Technology Collaboration to Address Automaker Challenges with Managing Software and Data for Intelligent Connected Vehicles... - April 23rd, 2021
- DNA technology leads to arrest of man accused of sexually assaulting girl at East Texas camp - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 23rd, 2021
- Lumeda Selected as one of the 25 Technology Companies to Watch in the Greater Hartford Area - WFMZ Allentown - April 23rd, 2021
- Accelerating Turnover to New Technology Diesel Engines, Increased use of Biobased Diesel Fuels Ensures Steady Progress on Carbon Reduction, Clean Air... - April 23rd, 2021
- Professional Sports Authenticator Acquires Genamint to Introduce Next-Generation Technology to Grading Process - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- When Seconds Count: The Technology That Saved Lives In Oologah's Powerful 1991 Tornado - News On 6 - April 23rd, 2021
- Digital Health Technologies Market is Projected to Reach USD 68.17 billion and Rise at CAGR of 4.80% by 2028 - GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Abbott, Bosch... - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Use Technology to Prepare for Travel During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- Frasil: Deciphering Technology to Reduce Isolation and Improve Communication of PLWDs - Analytics Insight - April 15th, 2021
- The Blacks in Technology Foundation Partners with Apprenti to Increase Black Representation Across the Tech Industry - PRNewswire - April 15th, 2021
- Nokia technology chief: The future is in software - FierceWireless - April 15th, 2021
- DUG Technology, Curtin University Enter Into Supercomputing Partnership - HPCwire - April 15th, 2021
- Outlook on the Wireless Charging Global Market to 2026 - by Technology, Transmission Range, Application and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - April 15th, 2021
- Beth.Technology Announces Major Rebrand to I/O Fund - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Ivy Tech receives $17k in sheet metal donation for Automotive Technology Program - WANE - April 15th, 2021
- Fed OIGs Leveraging Technology to Adjust to Pandemic Landscape - MeriTalk - April 15th, 2021
- Pre- and Post-COVID, Technology Is Reshaping Admissions Forever | Call to Action: Marketing and Communications in Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed - April 15th, 2021
- We Dont Need Tech Infomercials - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- This information technology stock has zoomed 134% in 6 weeks - Business Standard - April 15th, 2021
- 2021 Leadership Quadrant of Millimeter Wave Technology Suppliers - 8 Companies Included Such as Ridgewave, E-Band and Lightpointe -... - April 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccine technology is paving the way for a whole new approach to flu shots - The Spokesman-Review - April 15th, 2021
- Japan's ticket to zero carbon could be century-old technology - The Japan Times - April 15th, 2021
- ABERDEEN INTERNATIONAL (TSX:AAB, FR:A8H, OTC:AABVF) Technology Partner T2M Global Selected by the US Department Of Energy to Use AES-100 Technology to... - April 15th, 2021
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) TechVision Opportunity, Annual Subscription - Latest Global Innovations and Developments - Yahoo Finance UK - April 15th, 2021