Womens History Month offered 31 days to acknowledge the courage and sacrifices of women in history, celebrate the accomplishments theyve made, and seize the opportunities available as a result of their advocacy and dedication to the advancement of women.
Historically, the Roaring Twenties was a decade of womens independence, and the new Roaring Twenties looks like it could be a decade of embracing the strength and courage that comes from womens independence. From winning the right to vote in 1920 to fielding a record number of conservative women running for elected office in 2020, the courage of American conservative women to step up and speak out is evident.
Weve been diligent in this fight for over a century, and weve come a long way. But just as Rome wasnt built in a day, challenges remain, and one of them is the very low number of conservative women currently in positions of elected power.
Between the long-fought battles of the womens suffrage movement (the movement) and the challenges of life during World War I, the role of women in society was constantly evolving. Life during the war required more women in the workforce, including jobs they never before held. These new opportunities gave women the chance to gain financial independence, which for many also meant personal independence. When the war was over, many women were not inclined to let that freedom go.
One huge victory for the movement hit the news in 1916 when Jeannette Rankin became the first woman elected to Congress in the U.S. House of Representatives (as a Republican).
The hard work, courage, and persistence women exuded during this time led to a powerful win in 1920 the passage of the 19th Amendment. Just at the turn of the decade, women were already beginning to embrace new freedoms and independence. The women of the Roaring Twenties would later become known as the first generation of independent women and they were just the beginning.
Over the last century, women have continued to show courage and dedication in the fight for equality and a better tomorrow. While Jeannette Rankin and many others have made waves as women elected to Congress, men still hold the majority as elected officials. Of the 500,000 total elected offices in the country, less than one-third are held by women. But thats changing.
Of the 325 women ever elected to the House, nearly two-thirds have been elected since 1992, which was termed Year of the Woman following the election of more women to Congress than ever before.
This label reappeared, following the 2018 election when a record-breaking 107 women were elected to serve in the 116th Congress. These advancements by and for women are something to be celebrated, just as they were in the 1920s.
Yet, a new inequality emerged. In recent years, the left has been the dominant voice for American women, leaving conservative women feeling more unheard and frustrated than ever before. Of the 127 women serving in the 116th Congress, only 21 are Republican meaning that there are five times more left-leaning women serving in the United States Congress.
As Ellen Troxclair states in her new book, Step Up!, [w]hile more women serving in office should be celebrated regardless of their party affiliation, the statistics are a wake-up call for women who lean right of center. Shes right, and thats exactly why conservative women are acting because its more than just statistics. This fight to be heard is about making sure that everyone is being heard and represented.
Thats why GOP women are stepping up and speaking out now. In 2018, approximately 67 Republican women ran for Congress. They won only 21 seats, but Republican women are not backing down. Over 200 Republican women filed or are expected to run for Congress in 2020.
As women of the 1910s and 1920s began to find their voices and fought for their independence, American conservative women are now doing the same. Tired of being told what to do or how to do it, American conservative women of the new Roaring Twenties are stepping up, speaking out, and fighting for what they believe in.
Shelby Sterling is a policy analyst with the Texas Public Policy Foundation.
Follow this link:
- What is the Financial Independence Retire Early (FIRE) movement? - Bankrate.com - July 5th, 2020
- Are You Independent Yet? Financial Self-Sovereignty and the Decentralized Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 5th, 2020
- This single mother started with $20,000 and is now an early-retired millionaire heres one thing that helped her - MarketWatch - July 5th, 2020
- Advising Clients Interested in FIRE - TheStreet - July 5th, 2020
- How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Spending Their First Fourth of July in America - MarieClaire.com - July 5th, 2020
- Early Retirees Were Supposed to Be Able to Depend on Rental Income. What They Should Do Now. - Barron's - July 5th, 2020
- FTSE 100 crash! Here's why I'd buy cheap shares in July to get wealthy in retirement - Yahoo Finance UK - July 5th, 2020
- To Drive Financial Inclusion, Businesses and Nonprofits Must Come Together, Says This Executive - Triple Pundit - July 5th, 2020
- The Hope and Struggles of Bhutan's Women Vegetable Vendors - The Diplomat - July 5th, 2020
- NON-FICTION: WANTING TO BE UNWED - DAWN.com - July 5th, 2020
- Gendered Perspective on Access to Justice in Myanmar's Refugee Community during COVID-19 | Towards Global Goals 2030 - OneWorld.net - July 5th, 2020
- Returning To Work With A Mental Illness Is Possible - Forbes - June 17th, 2020
- Easy Investing Secrets to an Early Retirement - June 16, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 17th, 2020
- Money saving tips: Britons offer key tips to financial independence and retiring early - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Why Early Retirement is a wrong goal - Morningstar India - June 17th, 2020
- Financial Stress Escalating Among U.S. Workers During Covid-19 Pandemic; Employers Are Key to the Solution: Edelman Financial Engines - Yahoo Finance - June 17th, 2020
- Have $500? Here Are the Best Stocks to Buy During a Correction - Motley Fool - June 17th, 2020
- Sydney girl's firewood stand is a thriving backyard business - Cape Breton Post - June 17th, 2020
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye Wests 7-Year-Old Daughter North Is Already a Millionaire - SheKnows - June 17th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan's Son Archie Could be Legally Forced to Stay in the US - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 17th, 2020
- Istanbul to be Islamic finance hub, sustainable alternative to current system | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - June 17th, 2020
- Direct cash transfers to households: the Bank of England's response to COVID-19 and the end of orthodoxy - British Politics and Policy at LSE - June 17th, 2020
- Saudi women frustrated by pandemic in quest for financial independence but hopeful about future - The Arab Weekly - June 6th, 2020
- Millionaire who saved 70% of his income and retired at 35: 'We should all live by these 6 basic principles' - CNBC - June 6th, 2020
- The Secret of Great Wealth and of Life - Investment U - June 6th, 2020
- Powerful Proof Anyone Can Invest for an Early Retirement - June 04, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- CO2 levels rise despite lockdown, Asias water crisis and other global Covid news - ThePrint - June 6th, 2020
- Community Comes Together for the Families of Rainbow Village - Atlanta, GA - Patch.com - June 6th, 2020
- Digital nomads stranded in Mexico demonstrate the appeal of the retire-early movement - Yucatn Expat Life - June 6th, 2020
- Janet and Jerry Belle recognized for their work on behalf of TIF - Immokalee Bulletin - June 6th, 2020
- The BBC's new Director General will have a fight on his hands - Telegraph.co.uk - June 6th, 2020
- Meghan and Harry quietly getting involved with the Black Lives Matter movement - Blasting News United States - June 6th, 2020
- 5 High-Yield Blue-Chips I'm Buying For My Retirement Portfolio In This Overvalued Market - Seeking Alpha - June 6th, 2020
- Easy Investing Secrets to an Early Retirement - May 27, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2020
- Financial Freedom Was "A Big Part" of Why Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Stepped Back from their Royal Roles - TownandCountrymag.com - May 28th, 2020
- Pompeo declares Hong Kong no longer autonomous from China in a move that threatens to escalate US-China tensions - USA TODAY - May 28th, 2020
- Retire in 20 Years With $30,000 Today - Yahoo Finance UK - May 28th, 2020
- Independence school board addresses financial outlook, comes to terms with adjusted commencement plans - cleveland.com - May 28th, 2020
- '90 Day Fianc': Which Cast Members Have OnlyFans Accounts? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 28th, 2020
- Opinion: The future of women's work - Livemint - May 28th, 2020
- Live Updates: Nearly 100,000 Americans Have Died From Covid-19 - Barron's - May 24th, 2020
- KBC Winner Binita Jains Journey As A Single Mom After Losing Her Husband To Terrorists - SheThePeople - May 24th, 2020
- Surprising money lessons we have drawn from Covid-19 - Daily Nation - nation.co.ke - May 24th, 2020
- How to achieve financial independence in your small business - Business MattersBusiness Matters - May 14th, 2020
- Easy Investing Secrets to an Early Retirement - May 14, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Advisor Group And Woodbury Financial Recruit Financial Professionals Joseph Di Biasi And Gregory McElheny, Facilitate Succession-Driven Merger With... - May 14th, 2020
- LesLTC Announces a Virtual Educational Seminar on May 21st to Remove the Threat of Medicaid, Nursing Homes, and Long-Term Care Event - Press Release -... - May 14th, 2020
- HTK Adopts AdvicePay to Support Enhanced Financial Planning Solutions - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- In San Francisco, Working From Home Is Here To Stay. The Techies Might Not Be. - BuzzFeed News - May 14th, 2020
- The chore wars were about to go nuclear and then a pandemic hit - Women's Agenda - May 14th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Crisis Has Tested the Retire-Early Movement. But Its Followers Are Unbowed, and Its Winning New Fans. - Barron's - May 11th, 2020
- Lohit Group Harnesses Blockchain and Other Advanced Technologies to Provide Financial Independence - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Money and relationships: Spouse's addiction draining your wealth? Deal with it this way - Economic Times - May 11th, 2020
- Meghan Markle Is Poised to Become the Most Prominent Influencer in the World - TownandCountrymag.com - May 11th, 2020
- Financially Speaking: Observations that helped navigate portfolios throughout this pandemic - Troy Record - May 11th, 2020
- Dear Mom, I Wish You Didnt Have To Give Up Your Job For Motherhood - SheThePeople - May 11th, 2020
- Meghan & Harry Hire Beckhams Hollywood Aide But Theyre Beyond Help - CCN.com - May 11th, 2020
- Affirming the Bank of Canada's independence has to be more than just lip service - Financial Post - May 11th, 2020
- Why the concierge model is resilient during the COVID-19 pandemic - Medical Economics - May 11th, 2020
- Heres how one can renew their careers post motherhood - Hindustan Times - May 11th, 2020
- These early retirees saw their investments plunge more than $200,000 but still manage to stay calm - MarketWatch - May 4th, 2020
- financial independence / early retirement - April 18th, 2020
- Financial independence - Wikipedia - April 18th, 2020
- 39-year-old retiree shares how the coronavirus pandemic will change the FIRE movement - CNBC - April 18th, 2020
- How to School Kids on Money Lessons During the COVID-19 Outbreak - Kinston Free Press - April 18th, 2020
- Op-Ed: Since you can't beat the market, the key is to only take the risk you can handle - CNBC - April 18th, 2020
- Student workers struggle to remain financially independent following coronavirus lay-offs - University at Buffalo The Spectrum - April 18th, 2020
- Trump Attacks on Press Effective, New Study Finds - Voice of America - April 18th, 2020
- Harry and Meghans new charity wont fight inequality it will perpetuate it - The Independent - April 18th, 2020
- Trapped-at-Home: Fears mount for victims of domestic violence - The Cherokee One Feather - Cherokee One Feather - April 11th, 2020
- High Need, Low Pay Should Not Be How We Treat Our First Responders - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- They All Retired Before They Hit 40. Then This Happened. - The New York Times - April 7th, 2020
- Becoming The Best Version of Yourself with Eric Jemielita - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Amazon Sued by Author Claiming to Have Spawned 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' - TMZ - April 7th, 2020
- Human rights support in times of crisis and beyond - Council of Europe - April 7th, 2020
- Financial Habits for Young Women in the Workplace - - Woman's Era - April 7th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan eye Malibu properties close to where Princess Diana planned to live with Dodi Fayed - Telegraph.co.uk - April 1st, 2020
- Financial Independence: How to achieve FIRE w/ $1.5 million - March 31st, 2020
- Shortest Path to Financial Independence - Mad Fientist - March 31st, 2020
- The Three Levels Of Financial Independence: From Budget To ... - March 31st, 2020