Photo: Lorenzo Tombola / Moment (Getty Images)Wiki WormholeWe explore some of Wikipedias oddities in our 5,664,405-week series, Wiki Wormhole.
We explore some of Wikipedias oddities in our 6,150,520-week series, Wiki Wormhole.
This weeks entry: Futurist Cooking
What its about: Sure, food is good and all, but what if instead of providing nourishment and community, meals were a high-concept art project with rigid aesthetic rules taking precedence over enjoyingor even eatingthe meal? Thats the question the Futuristsan early 20th-century European art movement obsessed with modernityposed in Manifesto Of Futurist Cooking. (The answer was given in the form of the staggeringly low number of futurist-inspired restaurants that followed.)
Biggest controversy: The very first rule mentioned here is no pasta, as it causes lassitude, pessimism, and a lack of passion. You can imagine how that went over in Italy, where the Futurist movement began. The Italian press was outraged, and the Duke Of Bovino (actually the Mayor Of Naples) declared that The angels in heaven eat nothing but vermicelli al pomodoro. Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, the founder of the movement and co-author of Manifesto Of Futurist Cooking, fired back that this menu confirmed his suspicions about the monotony of Paradise.
He and the rest of the Futurists decided to lean into the backlash by trolling the public with increasingly unappealing dishesmortadella with nougat, or pineapples with sardines.
Strangest fact: Based on the glimpses of the Manifesto we get here, it appears to be The Joyless Of Cooking. Knives and forks are prohibited, as are music and poetry at mealtime except during certain intervals. Some of the food on the table would not be eaten, but only experienced by the eyes and nose. Food would contain many flavors, but be served in portions of only a few mouthfuls. On the plus side, political discussion at the dinner table is also forbidden.
Thing we were happiest to learn: Futurists were way ahead of the curve on molecular gastronomy. Obsessed as they were with modernity and machinery, the futurists were big on kitchen gadgets, including using chemical indicators to determine if food needed more seasoning, and colloidal mills to pulverize food. Some of their kitchen equipment was a bit more questionable, like ozonizers to give the food the smell of ozone, ultraviolet light that would purportedly activate vitamins, and electrolyzers to decompose items into new forms and properties, which sounds disconcertingly vague.
Thing we were unhappiest to learn: None of Futurist cookings elaborate rules seem to have been written with actually enjoying a meal in mind. While Futurist chefs strove for absolute originality in the food, sometimes the tried-and-true is pretty appealing, when the alternative is dishes like Diabolical Roses (deep-fried roses in full bloom), Milk In A Green Light (a bowl of milk, with black grapes and radishes, illuminated by a green light. For dessert, enjoy Italian Breasts In The Sunshine (almond paste topped with a strawberry and sprinkled with black pepper).
Futurist cooking also suggests sculpting meat, and use of perfumes to enhance the tasting experience. As anyone whos ever kissed someones neck and gotten a mouthful of perfume as a reward can attest, thats good eatin.
Also noteworthy: Not content to impose their bizarre vision on individual recipes, Futurist chefs concocted entire insane dinner parties. The Futurist Cookbook describes the Tactile Dinner, in which each guest puts on a pair of pajamas, each covered in a different material (sponge, sandpaper, cork, felt). Guests are then taken into a darkened room, and choose a dinner partner according to their tactile impression, only seeing who theyve paired up with upon entering the dining room. The first course is polyrhythmic salad, a bowl of lettuce, dates, and grapes with no dressing, to be eaten with one hand while diners crank a music box with the other, which the waiters dance to.
The second course is magic food, balls of caramel filled with surprise ingredients including raw meat, garlic, mashed banana, or chocolate, served in small bowls, covered with tactile materials. The third course is tactile vegetable garden, more raw vegetables, sans dressing, which must be eaten without using the hands. Instead, diners are expected to bury their face in the plate of vegetables, feeling the sensation of the greens on their face. Every time they raise their head, the waiters spray their face with perfume, because if theres anything better than tasting perfume, its having it sprayed into your eyes.
Best link to elsewhere on Wikipedia: Besides the numerous aesthetic rules Marinetti established in Manifesto, he also insisted that Italians stop eating foreign food, and stop using foreign names for food, wanting to rename the sandwich the traidue (between two), and retitle maitre d to guidopalato (palate guide). Food critic Elizabeth David accused Marinettis nationalism, absurdist as it may have been, to be rooted in that other early 20th-century Italian movement, fascism. That far-right political movement, based on outspoken nationalism, suppressing dissent while claiming the mantle of populism, and a leader who proposes only he can solve [the countrys problems] and all his political opponents are enemies or traitors, is worth reading up on just out of pure intellectual curiosity and not because its become suddenly relevant or anything.
Further Down The Wormhole: One of the more striking breaks from tradition in Futurist cooking (which is only given passing mention here) is doing away with that ubiquitous utensil, the humble fork. While the fork is associated with Western cuisine and chopsticks with China, the fork in fact originated in China, while as late as the 10th century Italians were eating pasta with a long wooden spike, not unlike a chopstick.
Chinese forks have been found in Bronze Age archeological sites, and are depicted in art dating back to the Han Dynasty. Han was the second imperial dynasty, ruling from 202 BC to AD 220, and an interesting fact were jumping to solely for the sake of the next link is that wealthy Han-era citizens wore silk, and coats make from fox fur, while peasants clothes were made of wool, hemp, and ferret fur.
Ferrets are a domesticated version of the polecat, and have been kept as pets for roughly 2,500 years. Theyre occasionally used for hunting rabbits, and on one bizarre occasion have been inducted into the world of sports. Well look at the ill-advised sport of ferret-leggingwhich involves shoving one of the animals down ones pantsnext week.
- Expert: We Could Vaccinate Everyone on Earth and Not Eliminate the Coronavirus - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- The US Army Is Testing an Auto-Aiming Part of Its "Iron Man" Suit - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- China Is Sending a Mission to Study the Sun - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- New Gene Therapy Reverses Aging in Mice - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Space Station Captures Amazing Footage of Lightning From Above - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Professional Gamer Retires After Career-Ending Injury to Thumb - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Fourth Annual Shape of the Region Conference - Prince William Living - January 25th, 2021
- Engineering can contribute to a reimagining of the US public health system | The Conversation - News-Herald.com - January 25th, 2021
- The companies making the most essential smart home gadgets - Quartz - January 25th, 2021
- FUTURIST: Our choices can save lives over the next six months - December 19th, 2020
- Ford futurist: 2020 brought more stress than ever but ... - December 19th, 2020
- This 'futurist-in-chief' says gaming could be bigger than the physical economy - CNN - December 19th, 2020
- Darwinism, Storytelling, and the Futurist ET Myth - Discovery Institute - December 19th, 2020
- Report: Electric Cars Could Be Cheaper Than Gas Ones in Just 2 Years - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- SpaceX's Next Starship Prototype Could be Headed to Launch Pad on Thursday - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- NASA Says It Will Fly a Canadian to the Moon - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Surgeons Who Operate on Their Birthday Appear to Kill Way More Patients - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Creator of Twin Peaks and Velvet Taco gets new CEO, new identity, new focus - Restaurant Business Online - December 19th, 2020
- These are the 5 most valuable skills to learn right now, says futuristand where to find free online courses - CNBC - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Missing 40 Percent of the Universe's Matter - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- New Evidence: There Was Another Planet in the Solar System That Escaped - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Found a Way to Make Infrared Light Visible to Humans - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Neo-Futurists: bringing theatre further into the future - North by Northwestern - November 7th, 2020
- Walmart Is Giving Up on Its Inventory Robots - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- US Government Seizes $1 Billion in Silk Road Bitcoin - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists in Japan Build Robot to Hold Hands With Lonely People - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- MIT Algorithm Detects COVID-19 in the Sound of Your Cough - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- If This COVID-Blocking Nasal Spray Works on Humans, It Could Change the Course of the Pandemic - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Amazon Patent Makes the Most Horrible Gamers Play With Each Other - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Starlink Beta Has Outperformed Most Internet in the US - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- These are the Skills and Mindsets of the Leader of the Future - Entrepreneur - November 7th, 2020
- Our Soil is Poised To Release Billions of Tons of Carbon - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Martian Meteorites Show Red Planet Had Water Billions of Years Ago - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- What could our lives be like in 2025? Futurists think Americans may eat, fly and go to school differently post-COVID - USA TODAY - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Find First-Ever Planet in Another Galaxy - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Motorcycle Rental Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - Verdant News - September 26th, 2020
- Global Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (OSAT) Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario -... - September 26th, 2020
- Earth Appears to Be Capturing a Tiny New Moon - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Floating Wind Turbines Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Beijing motor show - Infiniti QX60 preview | Automotive Industry Analysis - just-auto.com - September 26th, 2020
- Life May Have Hopped From Earth to Venus on Asteroid, Scientists Say - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Tesla's "Plaid" Model S is Real and It's Fast as Hell - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Russia Wants to Be the First to Shoot a Movie In Space - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The International Space Station Had to Dodge a Piece of Space Junk Last Night - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The new concept from Great Wall was similar to the Volga - The Times Hub - September 26th, 2020
- NASA Is Heading to the Far Side of the Moon to Study the Ancient Universe - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Spot Bits of Entirely Different Asteroid on Surface of Bennu - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Proved That Crows Have Conscious Experiences - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- NASA and the US Space Force Are Officially Teaming Up - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Discover "Pi Earth" Planet That Orbits Every 3.14 Days - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- SETI Team Increases Number of Stars That Might Host Life by 200x - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Fauci: We Could Cut Trials Short and Give Out COVID Vaccine "Right Now" - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans Wakanda: Afro-Futurism Is in the Present - Common Dreams - September 4th, 2020
- Scientists Are Running Out of Primates to Test Vaccines On - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- What Goes Right and Wrong When We Predict a High-Tech Future - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - September 4th, 2020
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Exact Center of the Solar System - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- When Futurism Meets With Disaster: Max Brooks' Devolution - tor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Extremely Dubious Scientist Believes There's Mushrooms and Lichen on Mars - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Forest Fire Was So Huge, NASA Spotted It From Space - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Ways Brands Can Take Meaningful Action During This Time - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- NASA Invents Wearable That Scolds You For Touching Your Face - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Researchers Say You Can Improve Your Eyesight by Staring at This Specific Type of Light - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Even With Insurance, the COVID Drug Remdesivir Is Shockingly Expensive - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Augmented Human: 5 Times Ive Used Technology To Augment Myself - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- A Giant Star Appears to Have Winked Out of Existence - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Introducing the Campus Technology Insider Podcast - Campus Technology - June 24th, 2020
- This is What Sunsets on Other Planets Would Look Like - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- Astronomers May Have Discovered First-Ever Black Neutron Star - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Astronauts Will Hike 10 Miles on Lunar Surface - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- As fashion resets, its algorithms should too - Vogue Business - June 24th, 2020
- China Is Building a Genetic Database of Every Man in the Country - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- The Death of the Open-Plan Office? Not Quite, but a Revolution is in the Air - Nextgov - June 24th, 2020
- Freestyle Acquires Divos!; Docs The Prison Within & Superhuman Find Homes; Random Media Takes Opus Of An Angel Film Deal Briefs - Deadline - June 24th, 2020
- Nicholas Mallis' Final Station, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Renewal Shows the Possibility of a Better World Post-Covid - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 24th, 2020