From left to right, panelists Drs. Matthew Johnson, David Nichols, and Mendel Kaelen discussed the promise of psychedelics research.PHOTO COURTESY OF ANDRIJA DIMITRIJEVIC/MAPPING THE MIND
The promise of psychedelics research in a wide range of fields was explored at the Mapping the Mind: 2019 Psychedelic Science Conference at U of Ts Earth Sciences Centre in September.
Psychedelics are a class of mind-altering chemicals with therapeutic potential. The conference aimed to promote public education of psychedelic science and research in the field. It featured 10 speakers, including U of T professors, from a wide array of fields, such as psychiatry, pharmacology, and law.
Each speaker discussed their unique perspective on the future of psychedelic research.
Dr. David Nichols: psychedelic science researcher
The conference began with Dr. David Nichols, a respected pharmacologist and medicinal chemist from Purdue University, who has been widely known for his prolific work on psychedelic science since 1969.
Nichols has mainly worked with rats to study the effect of psychedelics on animal brains. Over his years of research, he has developed a strong faith in the therapeutic potential of psychedelics.
Patients with mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety, often display dysfunctional brain connectivity. Psychedelics can be used for treatment in these cases because they lead to a global increase in brain cell communications.
When Nichols began psychedelics research he faced difficulties receiving funding, as well as controversy due to the subject of his research. However, Nichols has described the field in recent years as blossoming, as it begins to demonstrate some promising prospects.
In support of psychedelic science research, Nichols founded the Heffter Research Institute in 1993. The institute works closely with some of the top universities in the world such as Johns Hopkins University, New York University, Yale University, and the University of Zurich.
What we work on today, [I] never imagined wed have them in my lifetime, Nichols said. When asked about his hope for the future, he commented, [If] at least the trajectory is going in the right direction, I will be happy.
In the future, when patients find themselves in crisis, Nichols hopes that they can experience at least one psychedelic session with their psychiatrists. His vision for the future was met with lasting applause from the audience.
Dr. Srinivas Rao: psychedelics as antidepressants in pharmacology
After a short break, the conference introduced the audience to a different perspective from Dr. Srinivas Rao, Chief Scientific Officer at ATAI Life Sciences AG and former CEO of Kyalin Biosciences.
Raos companies mainly work on the development of rapid-acting antidepressant drugs based on psilocybin and ketamine. These chemicals may lead to more compelling effects in contrast to the numerous limitations of conventional antidepressants such as poor compliance, delayed efficacy, and negative side effects.
For example, patients who are treated with ketamine have demonstrated rapid relief of depression symptoms and fewer side effects than with other drugs. According to Rao, the US Food and Drug Administration recently approved an esketamine medicine targeted for treatment-resistant depression, sold under the name SPRAVATO.
The drug is a nasal spray that needs to be administered in a supervised setting. A patient who has had a treatment session with the psychedelic described their experience as giving them the ability to step back, which Rao further elaborated on as the ability to give you the distance that you need from all the negative thinking.
The success of SPRAVATO is a lucky case. As Rao emphasized, the development of such drugs can take almost a decade, yet still fail to succeed on the market despite FDA approval.
Currently, Raos companies are testing psilocybin in early clinical trials, and he remains hopeful for the therapeutic benefits of psychedelics in treating depression.
Tags: conference, psychedelics, Science
- Are NDEs caused by carbon dioxide overload? And what about psychedelics? - Patheos - June 24th, 2020
- ATAI dives into digital therapeutics to boost mental health care - FierceBiotech - June 24th, 2020
- 'People Should Have the Fundamental Right To Change Their Consciousness' - Reason - June 24th, 2020
- Revive Therapeutics betting on psychedelics and potential COVID-19 treatment Bucillamine - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 20th, 2020
- These Psychedelic Drugs May Be Key to Revolutionizing Weight Loss Treatment - Yahoo Finance - June 20th, 2020
- Champignon Brands CEO Dr Roger McIntyre authors studies appearing in two leading scientific journals - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 20th, 2020
- The effects of psychedelics on the brain's "consciousness conductor" - New Atlas - June 17th, 2020
- Psilocybin Dulls Activity in Brain Region Linked With Consciousness - Psych Congress Network - June 17th, 2020
- Champignon Brands revamps its brand identity to better reflect its scientific focus on psychedelic medicine - Proactive Investors UK - June 17th, 2020
- Mota Ventures Appoints Roger C. Clinton as Member of Advisory Board to Verrian GmbH - Its Psilocybin Research Subsidiary - Stockhouse - June 17th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelics Industry News Stories Of The Week - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- New Psychedelics Stocks and Acquisitions | 2020-06-08 | Investing News - Stockhouse - June 13th, 2020
- Pure Extracts: The Second Wave of Psychedelic Operators - The Deep Dive - June 13th, 2020
- New analysis claims the FDA rushed ketamine's approval for depression treatment - Big Think - June 13th, 2020
- How Liv Vasquez Uses Plants & Food for Wellness and Healing - Thrillist - June 13th, 2020
- Companies are starting to bet big on psychedelic drugs to treat US mental health epidemic - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 6th, 2020
- CHECK IT OUT: New from Lady Gaga; take a wild ride; beach reading; and a screen gem - Wicked Local - June 6th, 2020
- Dr. Bronner's Soaps Wants to Protect You From COVIDand Legalize Your Right to Magic Mushrooms - Mother Jones - June 6th, 2020
- 6 celebrities wildest psychedelic trips, as told by themselves - Insider - INSIDER - June 1st, 2020
- Rate and Review: Have a Good Trip - The Independent Florida Alligator - June 1st, 2020
- First-of-Its-Kind Study Hints at How Psilocybin Works in The Brain to Dissolve Ego - ScienceAlert - June 1st, 2020
- Codebase says psychedelic investee Red Light Holland debuts on CSE with ticker TRIP - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 1st, 2020
- Todd Shapiro of Red Light Holland on 'magic truffles' and the multi-billion dollar psychedelics market - InvestorIntel - June 1st, 2020
- This Trippy Oregon Theme Park Is A Low-Key Psychedelic Playground - Thrillist - May 15th, 2020
- EGF Theramed Appoints George Anstey to Board of Directors - Benzinga - May 15th, 2020
- Empower Clinics and EuroLife Brands Close Definitive Agreement and Sign Multi-Year Multi-National Licence Agreement - GuruFocus.com - May 15th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip Demystifies Psychedelics - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- Investing in Psychedelics - Energy and Capital - May 14th, 2020
- Psilocybin May be the Key to Treating a Range of Health Issues, Including Obesity - Baystreet.ca - May 14th, 2020
- Movie review: Netflix's 'Have a Good Trip' is only a mild high - Eagle-Tribune - May 14th, 2020
- Psychedelics - Alcohol and Drug Foundation - May 10th, 2020
- Celebrities share LSD trips in Netflix documentary 'Have A Good Trip' - Insider - INSIDER - May 10th, 2020
- The Queen of Consciousness Driving Psychedelic Study and Advocacy - Filter - May 10th, 2020
- The 'Billions' Stock Watch: It's Time For Psychedelics And Subterfuge - UPROXX - May 10th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip: Netflix release and cast as celebrities recall mind-bending experiences - Mirror Online - May 10th, 2020
- From "Solar Opposites" to "Midnight Gospel," recent otherworldly animation is worth the head-trip - Salon - May 10th, 2020
- Netflix Reveals Celebrities' Wildest Drug Trips, From Anthony Bourdain to Carrie Fisher - The Daily Beast - May 10th, 2020
- Psychedelic mushrooms for depression: 'This is the one that changed things' - DW (English) - April 26th, 2020
- MindMed wants to develop a drug to help end a bad LSD trip - Fast Company - April 26th, 2020
- Netflixs The Midnight Gospel Is a Profoundly Weird Psychedelic Trip You Want To Take - Mashable India - April 26th, 2020
- Professor describes uses and history of hallucinogens - The Daily Evergreen - April 26th, 2020
- Media Central moves to provide coverage on emerging Psychedelics and eGames sectors - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - April 26th, 2020
- This video game does the same things to your brain as magic mushrooms - Happy Mag - April 26th, 2020
- Inborn Psychedelia on White Nights' Into the Lap of the Ancient Mother - Invisible Oranges - April 26th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelic Stock News Stories Of The Week - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Psychedelic mushrooms could affect the brain long after its active ingredient leaves the system - The Next Web - April 9th, 2020
- We Could Be Taking Psychedelics to Help Treat Mental Illness in Just Five Years - Newsweek - April 7th, 2020
- Magic mushrooms to treat depression? COMPASS Pathways pushes forward with U.S. patent for psilocybin therapy - Straight.com - April 7th, 2020
- Key Insights from PSYCH: The Psychedelics as Medicine Report - Prohibition Partners - March 18th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelic Stock News Stories Of The Week - Benzinga - March 18th, 2020
- With No Progress in Therapy, NYC Couple Turns to Psychedelics for Help - NBC New York - March 13th, 2020
- Upscale Psychedelics Therapy Center Opens On New Yorks 5th Avenue - Forbes - March 13th, 2020
- Why Kevin O'Leary is betting on psychedelics - Wealth Professional - March 13th, 2020
- Learning the hard way that psychedelic drug use can have long-term consequences - Dailyuw - March 13th, 2020
- Forget taking a pill a day. Canada is using psychedelics to revolutionize the way we treat mental health and addiction - The GrowthOp - March 13th, 2020
- High Stakes: Will The Legalization Of Psychedelics Mimic That Of Cannabis? Will It Learn From Its Mistakes? - Benzinga - March 13th, 2020
- Scientists Just Proved These Two Brain Networks Are Key to Consciousness - Singularity Hub - March 13th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana Stock News Stories Of The Week - MarketWatch - March 13th, 2020
- Podcast Host Joe Rogan Is Steadily Documenting A Psychedelic Record Of The 21st Century - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Empower Clinics to create psilocybin and psychadelics division leveraging corporate wellness and franchise clinic network - Proactive Investors USA... - February 27th, 2020
- The Psilocybin Movement Is Like The Cannabis Movement (Except When It's Not) - Benzinga - February 27th, 2020
- Researchers went to festivals to study psychedelic drugs and found they left people feeling happy and connected hours after the high wore off -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Psychedelics and Their 'Mystical Effects' in the Real World - Medscape - January 22nd, 2020
- Psychedelic Events Are Going Mainstream, Where The Much-Maligned Mushroom Industry Focuses On Mental Health - Forbes - January 18th, 2020
- Psychedelics have 'extraordinarily potent' anti-inflammatory power. Is there a place for them in mainstream medicine? - Genetic Literacy Project - January 18th, 2020
- Silicon Valley Is Micro-Dosing Magic Mushrooms To Boost Their Careers - Forbes - January 18th, 2020
- NYC To Host Economics Of Psychedelics Investing Summit - Benzinga - January 18th, 2020
- The Best FREE Things to Do for the Next Week - My New Orleans - January 18th, 2020
- Photos of the Stuff That Fascinates People While They're Tripping On LSD - VICE - January 18th, 2020
- Rats on DMT hint at the benefits of psychedelic microdosing - Inverse - December 31st, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Would you ever consider psychedelics to treat PTSD? - SooToday.com - December 31st, 2019
- A Trailblazer of Global Consciousness: Ram Dass Led the Way - Psychology Today - December 31st, 2019
- The Psychedelic Renaissance and the importance of drug policy reform - Open Access Government - December 13th, 2019
- Magic Mushrooms Move Closer to Mainstream Medicine As VC-Backed Compass Touts Safety, Positive Mood Alteration - Karma - December 13th, 2019
- Miami Clinics Use Ketamine IV Therapy to Help Treat Depression and PTSD - Miami New Times - December 13th, 2019
- Andy Frasco Talks Finding Emotional Balance With Psychedelics On 'Psychedelics Today' Podcast [Listen] - Live for Live Music - November 30th, 2019
- Will psychedelics be available commonly in the near future? - BPhrm Dv - November 30th, 2019
- Letters to the Editor: Psychedelics on their way - Valley Advocate - November 30th, 2019
- Scientists Have a Fascinating New Map of the Human Brain on DMT - VICE - November 30th, 2019
- Hes a fungi: U.S. health agency asks researcher to give it the lowdown on psilocybin mushrooms - The GrowthOp - November 30th, 2019