I recently wrote a well-received piece about the political positions of the Intellectual Dark Web (IDW), and a ferocious discussion erupted in the comments regarding Dave Rubins political philosophy.
To a modern liberal, Libertarian basically means someone who cares only about themselves.
Rubin calls himself a Classical Liberal, but it turns out that people on Twitter and Reddit arent sure exactly what that means. Rubin himself says hes undergone a Conservative Transformation lately, leading many liberals to claim hes simply become a Libertarian. Meanwhile, Libertarians are saying those are completely different things.
I was confused myself.
A cursory look at the definitions of Classical Liberalism and Libertarianism had them looking nearly identical. So I decided to do a deep dive on the differences. Heres what I found, combined with my analysis of the situation.
Classical liberalism is the philosophy of political liberty from the perspective of a vast history of thought. Libertarianism is the philosophy of liberty from the perspective of its modern revival from the late sixties-early seventies on.
Over the last week or so I watched a ton of Dave Rubin videos, and what I found will likely upset readers both on the left and the right.
First, I dont think Rubin is being academically or politically accurate in branding himself as a Classical Liberal. And from what Ive seen, he isnt actually claiming this.
Dave is a bit confused right now, but you probably would be too if you were gay, Jewish, previously liberal, and were currently going through a conservative awakening.
Hes not a Conservative in the common use of the word, and he doesnt want to use the term Libertarian because it has negative connotations. So I think hes reached back into history for a loftier-sounding synonym that doesnt make him feel as uncomfortable.
I make an argument here that the IDW is basically a collection of upset liberals looking for honest conversation.
Thats the part that will upset readers on the right. The part that will upset readers on the left is that Ive yet to find evidence of actual hatred or malice in his videos. Yes, he gives props to Trumpwho I cannot standand yes, hes all over the place on healthcare and climate change. But to me he is behaving exactly like a liberal with a severe case of PTSDnot like an evil or hateful person. I see him as good-natured and wrong, which is much different than someone like Rush Limbaugh or Trump.
Rubin is using Classical Liberalism because it gives liberals a tiny moment of confusion before they attack, but its really just new packaging for his individualand very fluidbrand of Libertarianism.
In short, Classical Liberalism is being used by some on the right today as a somewhat pseudo-intellectual way of claiming that their unwillingness to use taxation and government programs to help the ailing and unfortunate masses is somehow a superior policy because 1), the phrase is old, and 2) because the liber in Classical Liberalism (insert Kung-fu here) means freedom.
So its not that theyre selfish or uncaringits just that they value freedom from government more than they value helping people they dont know (and who should be helping themselves anyway).
But dont call them Libertarians. Theyre Classical Liberals.
Classical Liberalism and Libertarianism came from different times, and had different catalysts. The former was removing the oppression of theocracies, monarchies, and the very notion of it being permissible for a small group to rule over the masses, while the latter is addressing the overreaches of imperialism, bureaucracy, and progressivism.
The similarity is that both are movements to reduce the influence of powerful, centralized authorities over individualswhich is why both of them have freedom- (liber) at their center.
The issue is that not all centralized authorities are equally good or bad. While it might be great to be free of the King of England, thats not the same as desiring to be free of taxes to pay for public health and education.
Both terms are colored by perspective and context. Gaining freedom from something implies that its bad, but that judgment depends on who you ask. For some, taxation is a path to an ideal society, and for others its legalized government oppression.
Rubin is attempting to borrow the righteousness of the term Classical Liberalism to fight modern battles. They dont agree with how tax money is being spent in modern, 21st-century societies, and instead of calling themselves Libertarians (which makes them sound selfish), they prefer to be Classical Liberals.
Its as if the term will somehow remove the stain of selfishness, and replace it with the heroism of musketeers opposing the British.
- The Daily Cartoon and Live Briefing: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - FlaglerLive.com - July 14th, 2021
- Credit every American - The Spokesman-Review - July 14th, 2021
- Inside the Battle Over the Soul of the Libertarian Party - Reason - June 27th, 2021
- Why Conservatives And Libertarians Should Think Globally About Environmental Policy - Forbes - June 27th, 2021
- Relief payments to Black farmers on hold amid lawsuits backed by former Trump aides, conservative groups - Kansas Reflector - June 27th, 2021
- Never-Trump Republicans Announce New Fundraising Effort To Re-Defeat the Ex-President - Reason - June 27th, 2021
- The Problem Belongs to Every Last Person: On Matt Bell's Appleseed - lareviewofbooks - June 27th, 2021
- Letter: It's time to take care of Earth and stop wasting tax dollars - Worcester Telegram - June 27th, 2021
- Jane Coaston Wants To Have Better Arguments - Sojourners - June 23rd, 2021
- Right Wing Crazies & Libertarians Join In On Socialist Rally To Defund The Police With Hilarious Results - Free Keene - June 23rd, 2021
- Noticing the common good | Religion | themountaineer.com - The Mountaineer - June 23rd, 2021
- How a GOP Senate resolution condemning critical race theory distorts the facts - Poynter - June 23rd, 2021
- Letter: Freedom could be more individualized, but not lost in the United States - Shreveport Times - June 23rd, 2021
- Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - June 13th, 2021
- Neo-Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - June 13th, 2021
- What Is a Libertarian? A Brief Summary of Their Beliefs - June 13th, 2021
- Thinking critically about critical race theory - The Nevada Independent - June 13th, 2021
- Letter: History shows Libertarian ideas are winning | Letters to the Editor | heraldextra.com - Daily Herald - June 11th, 2021
- Letter: The Libertarian position is pro-vaccine - INFORUM - June 11th, 2021
- Libertarian Party submitting two marijuana ballot initiatives in Wyoming ahead of 2022 election - Oil City News - June 11th, 2021
- Paul Frew: The libertarian electrician now charged with sparking the north's economic recovery - The Irish News - June 11th, 2021
- Third parties in the U.S. What options do voters have? - Deseret News - June 11th, 2021
- Bubba Horwitz: Crypto Is The Currency Of The Libertarian And Free Markets The Daily Dive - The Deep Dive - May 31st, 2021
- What 'The Enduring Tension' Can Teach Us about the Core Institutions of Our Civilization | Richard Morrison - Foundation for Economic Education - May 31st, 2021
- Ted Budd Officially Entering 2022 NC Senate Race - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - April 29th, 2021
- Elections official admits breaking rule | Indiana | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - April 29th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Wisconsin holds annual convention in Eau Claire - WQOW TV News 18 - April 25th, 2021
- Letter: Calling out the misinformed, on the right and left, about COVID-19 - Eagle-Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Boris's threat to intervene in the Super League furore is proof that his libertarian instincts are dead - Reaction - April 23rd, 2021
- WAHRHAFTIG: This Year's Primary Affects Everyone And Everyone Can Vote - Patch.com - April 23rd, 2021
- The Economic Fallout of COVID-19: Could We Have Avoided This Disaster? - Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: April 5, 2021 - West Hawaii Today - April 6th, 2021
- The Bad Kind of Globalism - Splice Today - April 6th, 2021
- Vaccine Passports and Supply Chain Political Blacklist Risk - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- Glenn Nielsen and David Tyson Smith race toward the 45th District special election - Columbia Daily Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor for March 31, 2021 | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - April 4th, 2021
- How Living on a Socialist Kibbutz Reveals the Value of Private Property - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- I Am An Ambedkarite And A Libertarian And I Do Not Owe Anything To Your Opinion - Youth Ki Awaaz - March 31st, 2021
- Libertarianism - Libertarian philosophy | Britannica - March 29th, 2021
- libertarianism | Definition, Doctrines, History, & Facts ... - March 25th, 2021
- Education and Naive Libertarianism - National Review - March 25th, 2021
- March 19-21: Libertarian Party of NH convention with keynote from former US Rep. Justin Amash - Manchester Ink Link - March 25th, 2021
- Why We Don't Need Any More "Political" Clubs on Campus The Skidmore News - Skidmore News - March 25th, 2021
- If we don't rediscover our libertarian spirit, the next pandemic will crush us - Telegraph.co.uk - March 25th, 2021
- Is it any surprise Republican men dont want the COVID vaccine? - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- Area business participates in hygiene drive | News, Sports, Jobs - The Express - Lock Haven Express - March 25th, 2021
- Recover the Moral Imperative of Law and Order city-journal.org - City Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Will Prohibitionists Tie The New Conservative Movement To Trump? - The Fresh Toast - March 25th, 2021
- 'Tip of the iceberg': Lawmakers mull domestic terrorism legislation after Capitol riot, other violence - USA TODAY - March 25th, 2021
- Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs announces he will run for reelection in 2022 - Knoxville News Sentinel - March 25th, 2021
- Bidenomics - The Nation - March 3rd, 2021
- Warren, Pressley among Dems pushing to strip police of 'qualified immunity' - Fox News - March 3rd, 2021
- Nick Robinson on 'Silk Road' and Carrying the Torch for 'Jurassic Park' - Hollywood Reporter - March 3rd, 2021
- Wyoming's Voter Registration Numbers Dip By More Than 20K Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 3rd, 2021
- Recollections of Murray on His Ninety-Fifth Birthday - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - March 3rd, 2021
- Threatened by Libertarians, Iowa GOP moves goal posts - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- The New Foreign Flavor of CPACs Red Meat - New York Magazine - February 28th, 2021
- CPAC and the New Republicanism - The New York Times - February 28th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Indiana's response to Secretary of State's resignation - Shelbynews - February 28th, 2021
- Iowa's bad election bill will stifle early voting, micromanage auditors - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- Letter: School voucher programs benefit the wealthy - The Republic - February 28th, 2021
- News - The Bankruptcy of Conservative Political Paternalism - The Heartland Institute - February 18th, 2021
- Rush Limbaugh galvanised and embodied the modern American right - The Economist - February 18th, 2021
- People Of Georgia's 14th Congressional Make Decision Who Will Occupy That Seat - Jamestown Post Journal - February 18th, 2021
- My Take: Here's a unity solution: Have one standard - HollandSentinel.com - February 18th, 2021
- 77 third-party candidates received more votes than the winner's margin of victory in 2020 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - January 29th, 2021
- Empathize with Trump voters? A Progressive and a Libertarian agree to disagree - KUOW News and Information - January 27th, 2021
- STATE: Constitution, Green parties no longer recognized in North Carolina - The Stanly News & Press | The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News... - January 27th, 2021
- Book Review: When A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear, nobody wins (except the reader) - NPI's Cascadia Advocate - January 27th, 2021
- Brennan: Intel Agencies To Probe The 'Bigots' Behind US 'Insurgency' - The Federalist - January 27th, 2021
- The politics of an Auschwitz survivors son - The Boston Globe - January 27th, 2021
- Sedition Cases Against Capitol Rioters 'Will Bear Fruit Very Soon,' Says FBI - Reason - January 27th, 2021
- Former GOP congressman urges Never Trumpers to join Libertarian Party - Washington Times - January 15th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: There are options to political dissatisfaction - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - January 15th, 2021
- The war between Silicon Valley and Washington takes a new turn - POLITICO - January 9th, 2021
- LETTER: Yukon the Libertarian friend of a reindeer? - The News Herald - January 1st, 2021
- 21 Things That Kept Me Going In 2020 - kottke.org - January 1st, 2021
- What Happened?: The 2020 election showed that libertarians have a long way to go before they can become a national movement. - USAPP American Politics... - December 29th, 2020
- My New Year's wish for Sarasotans - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - December 29th, 2020
- Splinter Republican representatives sign "termination of the state" document calling Sununu a 'tyrant' - Concord Monitor - December 29th, 2020