Organizations in both the private and public sectors have increasingly turned to cloud service providers (CSPs) to support their technical infrastructure, primarily to reduce IT costs and increase the efficiency of computing resources. In many cases, CSPs can also offer protection from security threats and increased cyber resilience though customers often face trade-offs when they rely on cloud providers for these protections.
In the area of cyber resilience, in particular, organizations can offload much of the responsibility for keeping computer systems up and running by relying on cloud service providers, but this also means relinquishing much of their own control over those resilience measures.
The resilience of computer systems can mean slightly different things to different organizations. For some, it refers to maintaining a system that never goes down, while for others it refers to a systems capacity to recover from incidents and outages as quickly and painlessly as possible.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) defines the resilience of information systems as The ability of an information system to continue to: (i) operate under adverse conditions or stress, even if in a degraded or debilitated state, while maintaining essential operational capabilities; and (ii) recover to an effective operational posture in a time frame consistent with mission needs.
Although the types of incidents and their consequences vary from business to business, a 2014 estimate from Gartner puts the average cost of just one minute of IT downtime at $5,600, and a 2016 Ponemon Institute report raises that estimate to nearly $9,000 per minute. The ever-increasing reliance on IT services suggests that the financial consequences of unplanned outages are continually rising.
Since IT costs and efficiency are typically primary drivers of cloud service adoption, it makes sense that reducing costs due to IT outages and interruptions might also factor into the decision.
Cloud services can help organizations with both of the components of cyber resilience: operating continuously under adverse conditions and recovering rapidly from incidents with minimal business interruptions. CSPs typically operate infrastructure with much greater capacity than individual organizations, and they may also have significantly more resources to devote to security measures and attack prevention.
Way back in 2012, a report published by ENISA, the European Unions cybersecurity agency, determined that a cloud service providers ability to dynamically reallocate resources for filtering, traffic shaping, authentication, encryption, etc, to defensive measures (e.g., against DDoS attacks) has obvious advantages for resilience. In other words, a denial-of-service (DoS) attack that might otherwise cause company server outages can be easily absorbed by a cloud providers larger traffic capacity and greater ability to filter traffic.
Similarly, ransomware attacks that cut organizations off from their systems and data can be overcome with the assistance of cloud providers that produce and retain back-up copies of those systems.
Alternatively, a CSP can help customers respond to natural disasters that cut off power to servers in one region by shifting their traffic and systems to servers operated in a data center somewhere else.
A 2017 white paper titled Advancing cyber resilience with cloud computing, published by Microsoft, makes similar arguments: Cloud computing can be a practicable and valuable tool for cyber resilience and digital continuity, the authors assert. Thanks to its geographic replication of data, rapid scalability, security features and cost-effectiveness, cloud enables users to increase the efficiency of their operations and their agility in response to threats.
The impressive capabilities of cloud services have changed how businesses around the world operate, but ultimately, it is up to individual organizations to determine whether these long-known advantages outweigh the possible downsides.
The downside to relying on cloud services for resilience is that it can sometimes leave customers with little control over the resilience of their own computer systems and infrastructure and can also leave them vulnerable to attacks directed at their providers as well as any mistakes the providers might make.
As more organizations rely on the same small set of cloud service providers, the consequences of each individual outage may become greater, even if the number of outages decreases. But for many small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) that lack dedicated security staff, the risks of a cloud provider outage still wont beat out the benefit of having the enhanced security and resilience resources that large cloud providers can offer.
- Cloud Telephony is a Game Changer in the Insurance Industry - CXOToday.com - July 8th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Overview, Major Manufacturers and Production Price, Cost Revenue, Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Forecast 2025 -... - July 8th, 2020
- Commerce Cloud Computing Market Extensive Industry Analysis, Growth Rate, Segmentation, Investment Opportunities and Top Manufacturers 2025 - Jewish... - July 8th, 2020
- 3 Top Cloud Computing Stocks to Buy in July - The Motley Fool - July 5th, 2020
- Universities and Tech Giants Back National Cloud Computing Project - The New York Times - July 5th, 2020
- Amazon Web Services is creating its very own space force for cloud computing - GeekWire - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing - Why It's Time To Shift Your Business To The Cloud - CSCMP's Supply Chain Quarterly - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2020-2024| Increasing Cloud Assisted Medical Collaborations to Boost... - July 5th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - July 5th, 2020
- AMZN: 5 Cloud Computing Stocks that are Expected to Outperform - StockNews.com - July 5th, 2020
- Edge and the Cloud Partners or Competitors? Part I - Manufacturing.net - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Security Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Why Indian IT Professionals Are Looking To Upskill Themselves In Cloud Computing - Analytics India Magazine - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: The Tech Sector's Best Kept Secret - InvestorPlace - July 5th, 2020
- Productivity boost with cloud computing - Forbes India - July 5th, 2020
- Canada - Cloud Computing Forecast and Perspective: Sunny, with a chance of Growth - Lexology - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Cloud Stocks Set to Rally in the Second Half of 2020 - Yahoo Finance - July 5th, 2020
- Why there's a case for European cloud alternatives - TechHQ - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - Entrepreneur - July 5th, 2020
- Migrating SaaS to Cloud: How to do it without disruption - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 5th, 2020
- Adopt Cloud fast to beat pandemic blues: Indian tech honchos - Outlook India - July 5th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Higher Education Market 2020: Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Consumption, Demand, Growth, Revenue, Key-Companies, Types,... - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Higher Education Market 2020 Global Analysis, Trends, Forecast up to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Concerned on Parts of Tech Sector, But Sees Continued Growth Tied to Two Megatrends: Fidelity - FX Empire - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast Period 2020-2025: Top Key Players Amazon Web... - July 5th, 2020
- 3 Stocks to Buy in the Market That Could Mint the World's First Trillionaire - Motley Fool - July 5th, 2020
- Here's My Top Stock to Buy in July - Motley Fool - July 5th, 2020
- How Can Cloud Computing Improve the Resilience of Your Business? - Software Testing News - June 17th, 2020
- Amazon Adding a Cloud Computing Office in Microsofts Hometown - ETF Trends - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market 2019-2023 | Increase in Cloud Orchestration to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - June 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Service Market Expected to reach highest CAGR by 2025: Amazon, Salesforce.com, VMware, Savvis, Rackspace - 3rd Watch News - June 17th, 2020
- The biggest theme of the digital revolution - Jeremy Gibson - Livewire Markets - June 17th, 2020
- Former Macys store at Redmond Town Center has a new tenant: Amazon - Seattle Times - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole... - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing In Pharmaceutical Industry Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Retail Banking Market Size Estimated to Observe Significant Growth by 2025 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast... - June 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market 2020: Growth Analysis, Size, Share, Latest Trend, Application and Business Opportunity till 2025 - 3rd... - June 17th, 2020
- SaaS Cloud Computing Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Cloud Computing Market In Healthcare Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | ClearDATA Networks, Agfa Healthcare,... - June 17th, 2020
- Global Cell Biology Cloud Computing Market 2020 by Product Types, Method, Application, End Users, Region, Industry Analysis, Recent Trend and Forecast... - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market 2020 with COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Industry Growth, Future Trends, Key Players and Regional Outlook 2025 -... - June 17th, 2020
- SaaS Cloud Computing Market Size 2025 Global Industry Sales, Revenue, Price trends and more - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Market Analysis of Key Players, End User, Demand and Consumption By 2025 - Owned - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing For Business Operations Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of... - June 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing In Education Sector Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 17th, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Analysis, Future Growth, Types, End-users, Key Players and Regional... - June 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) Market 2024 Growing Demand,Latest Trends and Developments,Growth, Analysis By Major Players... - June 17th, 2020
- Government Cloud Computing Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- The Global Cloud Computing in Industrial IOT Market is expected to grow from USD 3,966.66 Million in 2019 to USD 7,078.35 Million by the end of 2025... - June 17th, 2020
- Hybrid Cloud Definition Is Being Redefined | IT Pro - ITPro Today - June 17th, 2020
- Inside Red Hat: Its open source heritage means big opportunity in cloud computing - WRAL Tech Wire - June 1st, 2020
- Cloud Security: 5 Serious Emerging Cloud Computing Threats to Avoid - Security Boulevard - June 1st, 2020
- Competition for hybrid cloud space Cloud computing is evolving to attract more companies - Optocrypto - June 1st, 2020
- 'Cloud Computing Is One Of The Most Disruptive And Exciting Innovations'. - Express Computer - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Service Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025 Top Players: Amazon, Salesforce.com, VMware, Savvis, Rackspace, IBM -... - June 1st, 2020
- 5 Things to Consider When Searching for Jobs in Cloud Computing - ITPro Today - June 1st, 2020
- HEALTHCARE CLOUD COMPUTING MARKET 2020 COMPETITIVE INSIGHTS, TRENDS AND DEMAND GROWTH TO 2027 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - June 1st, 2020
- Tencent to Invest $70 Billion in 'New Infrastructure' Supporting AI and Cloud Computing - Caixin Global - June 1st, 2020
- Cloud computing mode: What will be the trends for 2021 - ITProPortal - June 1st, 2020
- Research Report with COVID-19 Forecasts - Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2020-2024 | Development of Hyper-Converged Infrastructure to Boost Growth... - June 1st, 2020
- Covid-19 has hastened cloud migration - but don't move without a plan - Cloud Tech - June 1st, 2020
- Addressing IoT security challenges from the cloud to the edge - Urgent Communications - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Computing Data Center It Asset Disposition Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top... - June 1st, 2020
- Tag: Cloud Computing in Higher Education price - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- Tag: Cloud Computing in Higher Education Market - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- SaaS Cloud Computing Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - Express Journal - June 1st, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Worth Will Reach US$ 13 Bn According To Forecast By 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 1st, 2020
- O'Reilly Survey Reveals More than 88% of Organizations Use Cloud Computing - Business Wire - May 23rd, 2020
- Gartner: How and why cloud providers need to support their customers through Covid-19 - Cloud Tech - May 23rd, 2020
- Alibaba registers solid revenues in FY20 thanks to cloud computing and core retail businesses - FinanceFeeds - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in K-12 Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Adobe Systems, Blackboard, Cisco, Ellucian, Dell EMC, Instructure,... - May 23rd, 2020
- How Securing the Tactical Edge Can Help Operators in the Field - FedTech Magazine - May 23rd, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact SaaS Cloud Computing Market Applications, Manufacturers, Trends Analysis and Forecast by 2028 - Jewish Life News - May 23rd, 2020
- New Report on Cloud Computing Market 2020 Industry Size, Growth, Global Scenario, Top Manufacturers and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Cloud Computing Stack Layers Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2019-2026 - News Distinct - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020