There is nothing sadder than a childless couple. It breaks my heart to see them relaxing around swimming pools in Florida, sitting all suntanned and miserable on the decks of their boats -- trotting off to Europe like lonesome fools. It's an empty life. Nothing but money to spend, more time to enjoy and a whole lot less to worry about.
The poor childless couple are so wrapped up in themselves, you have to feel sorry for them. They don't fight over the child's discipline, don't blame each other for the child's most obnoxious characteristics, and they miss all the fun of doing without for the child's sake. They just go along, doing whatever they want, buying what they want and liking each other. It's a pretty pathetic picture.
Everyone should have children. No one should be allowed to escape the wonderful experience that accompanies each stage in the development of the young -- the happy memories of sleepless nights, coughing spells, tantrums, diaper rash, debts, "dipso" baby sitters, saturated mattresses, emergencies and never-ending crises.
How dismal is the peaceful home without the constant childish problems that make a well-rounded life and an early breakdown; the tender, thoughtful discussions when the report card reveals the progeny to be one step below a moron; the end-of-the-day reunions with all the joyful happenings recited like well-placed blows to the temples.
Children are worth it. Every moment of anxiety, every sacrifice, every complete collapse pays off as a fine, sturdy adolescent is reached. The feeling of reward the first time you took the boy hunting -- he didn't mean to shoot you, the lad was excited. Remember how he cried? How sorry he was? And how much better you felt after the blood transfusion? These are the times a man with a growing son treasures -- memories that are captured forever in the heart and the limp.
Think back to the night of romantic adventure when your budding daughter eloped with the village idiot. What childless couple ever shared in the stark realism of that drama? Aren't you a better man for having lived richly, fully, acquiring that tic in your left eye? Could a woman without children touch the strength and heroism of your wife as she tried to fling herself out of the bedroom window?
The childless couple live in a vacuum. They fill their lonely days with golf, vacation trips, dinner dates, civic affairs, tranquility, leisure and entertainment. There is a terrifying emptiness without children, but the childless couple are too comfortable to know it.
You just have to look at them to see what the years have done: He looks boyish, unlined and rested; she's slim, well-groomed and youthful. It isn't natural. If they had had kids, they'd look like the rest of us -- worn out, wrinkled and exhausted.
Back to Potpourri
Continue reading here:
- Im childfree, not childless heres why that difference matters - Stylist Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- 9 Childfree Women Explain What Life Is Like Without Kids ... - August 20th, 2017
- How Not To Be A Dick To Your Childfree Friends - August 11th, 2017
- Calgary bucking national trend of couples with fewer kids, census ... - Calgary Herald - August 5th, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice | KWIT - KWIT - July 28th, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice - KWIT - July 26th, 2017
- Home | Childfree Women UK & Ireland - July 5th, 2017
- Celebrating ChildFreedom on the Fourth of July - HuffPost - July 4th, 2017
- Myths and Facts About Living Childfree - RESOLVE - July 1st, 2017
- Can Everyone On RHONY Stop Shaming Carole Radziwill For Not Having Children? - Refinery29 - June 30th, 2017
- Why am I expected to have children just because I'm a woman? - Irish Times - June 27th, 2017
- Vacation without Children - Childfree Getaways - TripSavvy - June 23rd, 2017
- Why you should go on a child-free vacation - Femina - June 22nd, 2017
- What We Get Wrong About Women Who Don't Have Kids - Refinery29 - June 19th, 2017
- Why Not Wanting Kids Is a Good Enough Reason to Not Have Them - POPSUGAR - June 19th, 2017
- 'Strangers should mind their own business about my child-free status' - Independent.ie - June 9th, 2017
- Overlooking the childfree is a mistake - Spectator.co.uk (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- How People Decide Whether to Have Children - The Atlantic - May 23rd, 2017
- Recognizing Childfree Families On International Family Day - HuffPost - May 17th, 2017
- I Have No Regrets About Choosing To Be Childfree - Huffington Post India - April 23rd, 2017
- Let Them Be Snipped: A Proposal of Ideas - ODU Mace & Crown - April 23rd, 2017
- Ina Garten On Being Childfree: 'It's A Choice And That Was The ... - Huffington Post - April 21st, 2017
- Chrissy Teigen: We Shouldn't 'Assume All Women's Goals Are To Have Kids' - Huffington Post - April 13th, 2017
- The Childfree, Outrage, and Where It Belongs - Huffington Post - April 7th, 2017
- What not to say to couples who don't have children - The Irish Times - Irish Times - March 23rd, 2017
- Childfree: Meet the women who don't want to become mums - ABC Online - March 21st, 2017
- Child-free and OK with it but still dealing with moral scolding and ... - Salon - March 7th, 2017
- Meet The Twenty-Something Childfree Women Fighting To Be Sterilised - Huffington Post UK - March 7th, 2017
- Ugh: Americans Still Think Less of People Without Kids - Glamour - March 6th, 2017
- This May Explain Why So Many People Feel Outraged About Childfree Adults - Huffington Post - March 2nd, 2017
- I had a vasectomy and I have no regrets - Why a lot of people are opting for a child free lifestyle - SDE Entertainment News (satire) (press release)... - February 26th, 2017
- Only One in the World: Pioneering NotMom Summit to Connect Childless & Childfree Women - PR Newswire (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- Why No Kids - We're childfree and happy. You could be too! - February 4th, 2017
- Voluntary childlessness - Wikipedia - February 1st, 2017
- Mommyjacking The Childfree Life - STFU Parents - February 1st, 2017
- Jillian Michaels - Scary Mommy - December 31st, 2016
- Childfreedom - August 10th, 2016
- The Very Sad Childfree Life | Strange Notions - July 31st, 2016
- International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men ... - July 25th, 2016
- Childfree Me Reflections on my choice to be childless - July 3rd, 2016
- The Childfree-by-Choice Pages - June 19th, 2016
- Childfree News - June 17th, 2016
- I Do NOT Want Kids! ( CHILDFREE / KIDFREE dating ) aka ... - June 17th, 2016
- Complete Without Kids: a Childfree by Choice Handbook ... - June 17th, 2016
- Vacation Without Children (Childfree Getaways) - June 16th, 2016
- Childfree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 12th, 2016
- Living Childfree - RESOLVE: The National Infertility ... - June 12th, 2016
- The Childfree Life - June 12th, 2016
- The Childfree Life Index page - June 12th, 2016
- Happily Childfree - June 12th, 2016