Oct 1, 2020
Danny Colaprico was hurting.
It was 2019, and the 27-year-old midfielder realized that a career in soccer was starting to catch up to her body.
She was introduced to CBD by some of her Chicago Red Stars teammates, and though she was skeptical, she decided to give it a try.
"As it kept growing and CBD got more and more popular, a lot of players in our league started using it," Colaprico told ESPN. "And in my head, I was like, 'OK, I may as well try it out.'"
But what are athletes actually putting in or on their bodies?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is the chemical compound strain of cannabis that can be derived from the hemp or cannabis plant. It has been around for centuries but was not isolated from the plant -- from what causes the "high" -- until 1940 by a team from the University of Illinois. Then, in 2014, the Farm Bill was signed, allowing "institutions of higher education and state agriculture departments to start industrial hemp research and cultivation."
The past few years, CBD has often been touted as a cure-all of sorts. Manufacturers and users claim, mostly anecdotally, that it has given them relief from muscle soreness and swelling and helped curb stress and anxiety. What is actually known or proven by clinical trials is very little.
Hemp-based CBD is legal -- in various forms from ingestible oils to topicals -- in all but three states in the U.S. and is legal at the federal level. States have their own rules restricting or allowing CBD products to be sold, and in many states, CBD can be sold over the counter in drug stores. It remains unregulated by the Federal Drug Administration, however.
Colaprico is allowed to use CBD in the NWSL, but it is currently prohibited in the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. In February, MLB and the MLB Players Association announced that they "are working closely with NSF International to develop an independent testing and certification process for" hemp-based CBD products.
The NBA has also expressed interest in revising its bylaws against CBD use. In 2018, CBD was removed from the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned substances list.
Restrictions aside, CBD business is booming. A marketing report released in September found that the global market for CBD oil should grow from $967.2 million in 2020 to $5.3 billion by 2025. That is without CBD brands being allowed to directly advertise their products on social media.
Aaron Keay, chairman of The Alkaline Water Co., thinks the timing is right for athlete endorsements. In May, his company launched a new ingestible CBD product line, including CBD-water, capsules, tinctures and gummies.
"[I]f you look at the kind of the athlete adoption of it, it kind of coincides with how the world is taking it on and looking at it. But you have a few movers and shakers that are willing to take the risk and say: 'Look, CBD is going to become mainstream way ahead of cannabis and THC,'" Keay told ESPN.
It's certainly a business decision on some ends -- for example, Dwyane Wade openly promotes Alkaline's water -- but for others, it is also a health decision.
After nearly two decades on the soccer pitch, Colaprico had a lot of chronic pain, she said. She became more open to trying new ways for her body to recover better and more quickly. CBD, she asserts, became that for her -- and more.
"There are three very useful or beneficial sides to it for an athlete. No. 1, it is a potent anti-inflammatory. No. 2, it helps with sleep. And No. 3, there are lots of reports that show that it helps with anxiety," Dr. Ara Suppiah, a functional sports medicine expert who works with professional athletes, told ESPN.
Because cannabinoids fall under a group of products called adaptogens -- think of herbs such as ashwagandha, Rhodiola and ginseng -- they are able to give users the same benefits, Suppiah said. (Adaptogens, some research suggests, help your body deal with stress and have become more popular in recent years.)
Suppiah is PGA player Bubba Watson's doctor and has been vocal in encouraging the golfer to use CBD to alleviate the trouble he has sleeping before a final round.
"So for an athlete, if you're looking for the ability to recover and perform over and over again, it is a useful tool in the toolbox," Suppiah said.
That rings true for Colaprico, who says she can also feel the benefits of CBD on her high levels of stress and anxiety.
All of these claimed benefits come with cautions, especially because there is very little scientific evidence to back the purported advantages of CBD. The FDA lists a handful of potential harms, side effects and unknowns about CBD and believes that "[s]ome CBD products are being marketed with unproven medical claims and are of unknown quality."
But because much is still unknown about how CBD is delivered to the brain and how much of what is in the product goes elsewhere in the body, critics are concerned. For instance, the absorption and processing of CBD by a 12-year-old athlete and a 200-pound professional athlete are likely to be different.
"The FDA has seen only limited data about CBD safety, and these data point to real risks that need to be considered before taking CBD for any reason," the agency said in November.
Dr. Krista Lisdahl, the director of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Brain Imaging and Neuropsychology Laboratory, says she cannot recommend CBD usage to anyone for any of the issues its makers and sellers claim that it can address.
That, she told ESPN, is because of the lack of clinical trials that prove -- or disprove -- benefits and potential side effects. So far, in an evaluation study of CBD as a dietary supplement, there has been only evidence proving that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties in animals, with "some human evidence that it can reduce some of that inflammation."
"There needs to be more large-scale clinical trials where we can confirm that CBD is, in fact, effective. So, for example, there have been a couple of clinical trials where we use a placebo-controlled, double-blinded design, where people are getting CBD or getting a placebo and they don't know which one they get, and then you actually test the effects of CBD on sleep in an objective way," said Lisdahl, who studies the neuroscience of addiction and drug effects. "Those studies have not found a significant effect on sleep and on healthy people."
Right now, the scientific evidence for sleep is only low-level, suggesting that CBD might increase sleepiness or decrease the time it takes for a person to fall asleep, she explained.
Further, there is no "direct evidence" in athletes to suggest that CBD helps muscle recovery and sport performance, Lisdahl said. Athletes who claim those benefits are promoting their "objective experience," she said, something that is neither proven nor disproven by science.
Those in the CBD industry hope that FDA approval will come sooner rather than later, especially because in 2018, the agency approved a prescription form of CBD for the treatment of two rare and severe forms of epilepsy. In late July, the FDA approved CBD for use in treating another seizure disorder, tuberous sclerosis complex.
If that approval happens, the industry's relationship with sports is bound to grow.
"[I]t'll probably get the stamp from the FDA and lawmakers, I'm guessing maybe within this election year or within the calendar year. I think you'll really start to see movement there, and that's why the athletes are starting to come out and get way more supportive than they ever were," Keay told ESPN.
The FDA in March said that it had "embarked on a comprehensive evaluation of [CBD] products, with a focus on educating the public about the risks and unknowns of these products, gathering the science needed to better understand both these safety concerns and potential benefits to inform our regulatory approach."
The FDA went on to state that it "recognize[s] the significant public interest in CBD and we must work together with stakeholders and industry to develop high-quality data to close the substantial knowledge gaps about the science, safety, and quality of many of these products."
Jay Hartenbach, the CEO of Medterra CBD, has found a handful of athlete endorsers, who are listed on the company's website, for his products outside of mainstream sports, such as surfers, cyclists and volleyball players. He says he has seen growth in three years that he "can't imagine" in another industry.
"The professional athletes, for us, are twofold: One, to just get general awareness and two, it's to show the league: 'Your athletes are supporting it. Why are you holding this back from your players?'" he said.
The endorsements and claims are appealing, especially for someone seeking pain relief or a restful night's sleep. But the message from those outside the CBD industry? Athlete recommendations do not trump medical ones.
Lisdahl told ESPN that she understands why CBD is "attractive" both to use and to promote.
"CBD is considered safe for the most part. People aren't going to experience a lot of negative side effects," she said. "So I could certainly see why people would try it. It is relatively cheap compared to the other interventions available to them."
But there are other proven treatments to help with muscle soreness, inflammation, stress and anxiety and to help athletes sleep better, she said.
"I personally wouldn't recommend CBD for any indications right now because it's not passing any of the clinical trials," Lisdahl said.
- CBD oil, mental health days for first responders? Here are some resources Austin personnel could be getting - KXAN.com - April 11th, 2021
- 11 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - April 11th, 2021
- Top 9 Tips on Using CBD Oil - Oregon Cannabis Connection - April 11th, 2021
- The Benefits of CBD Gummies - Orlando Magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats To Reduce Dog's Anxiety & Pain - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2021
- 7 Vegan CBD Products That Will Destress You Right Now - VegNews - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Global Demand to Offer Lucrative Growth Prospects For Manufacturers By Aurora Cannabis, MARICANN, Tilray, Tikun Olam, The... - April 11th, 2021
- I Tried Tommy Chong's Good Vibes Protocol CBD & It Changed Everything - L.A. Weekly - April 11th, 2021
- What To Expect In 2021 from CBD Oil Market, Know Why Competition is Rising The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Insights, Facts, Figures and Trends 2021-2027 | MarketDigits The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- Marijuana dispensary could be within reach for local CBD shop owner - wtkr.com - wtkr.com - April 11th, 2021
- Reefer Madness Crowd Discovers CBD With Predictable Results - The Fresh Toast - April 11th, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. Reports First Quarter 2021 Revenue of USD $7.3 Million - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2021
- Full Spectrum Cannabis Products Industry Expected To Remain Robust Through 2027 - PRNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- SMPLSTC Reveals 3 New CBD Tinctures - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market Future Growth Prospect, Industry Report And Growing Demand Analysis Till 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2029 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research KSU | The... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD for Alzheimer's? The Cannabidiol Craze Makes Its Way Into Research - Being Patient - March 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Heres Why Everybody Is Trying CBD Body Wash - SF Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Major factor driving the growth of this market is the medical advantages of CBD oil | DBMR The Courier - The Courier - March 31st, 2021
- Canna Comforts continues to expand with its focus on Hemp CBD products that heal - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: Current Market Scenario And Industry Forecasts 2021-2027|| Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. (CBDD) Becomes One of the First CBD Companies to Accept Bitcoin and Other Crypto Currencies - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Legacy Distribution Group, a Subsidiary of CBD Global Sciences, to Begin Distribution for Docklight Brands Inc. - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Could Be A Key to Treating Addiction Long-Term, Studies Show - Observer - March 31st, 2021
- Global $13.4 Billion Cannabidiol Market to 2028 - Increasing Awareness CBD Health Benefits, Changing Consumer Opinion, and Attitude Toward CBD... - March 25th, 2021
- What are the uses and benefits you get from CBD cannabis? - News Anyway - March 25th, 2021
- Hemp is Becoming a Global Business As Market Projects Big Gains By 2024 - PRNewswire - March 25th, 2021
- CBD oil and MCI here's what you need to know - GoCogno.com - March 25th, 2021
- Mum tells how Paisley brothers' cannabis oil changed her life after years of pain - Daily Record - March 25th, 2021
- Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Market Research Report by Form, by Source, by Distribution Mode, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - March 11th, 2021
- I Tried CBD Hemp Body Lotion as a MoisturizerHere's My Review - msnNOW - March 11th, 2021
- Is Cannabis Good For Gut Health? - The Fresh Toast - March 11th, 2021
- Idaho farmers are one step closer to growing hemp legally, as House passes bill - Southernminn.com - March 11th, 2021
- BevCanna Solidifies Partnership with Nextleaf to Manufacture High-Quality THC and CBD Infused Beverages - Business Wire - March 11th, 2021
- Cannabis Oil Market to Witness Huge Growth by Emblem Cannabis Oils, CV Sciences, Halo - NeighborWebSJ - March 11th, 2021
- Global Hemp Seed Oil Market Research and Impressive Industry Growth Report 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 11th, 2021
- 6 Best CBD Oil for Sleep 2021 - Hemp Products That Actually Help | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - March 5th, 2021
- Hands Down, These Are the Best CBD Oils for Better Sleep and Relaxation - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 5th, 2021
- How To Boost Your Health With CBD Oil - KHTS Radio - March 5th, 2021
- CBN Oil for Sleeping Is Better Than Melatonin and CBD - The Daily Beast - March 5th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats - Top 4 Brands... - Kitsap Daily News - March 5th, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2021-2027) by Type, Application, and Region Canopy Growth Corporation, Aphria, Aurora... - March 5th, 2021
- 10 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - March 5th, 2021
- 5 Reasons Why Vaping Is The Best Way To Take CBD - South Florida Caribbean News - March 5th, 2021
- CBD Topicals: What Are They and How Do They Work? - TheNationRoar - March 5th, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market: Predictable to Demand Drivers and Growth Stimulators Expected to Growth During the Forecast Period 2026 - NY Market Reports - March 5th, 2021
- CBD oil to relax and fight stress - Australian Times - March 5th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2021 The... - March 5th, 2021
- Cannabidiol, skin homeostasis and acne skin care - Open Access Government - March 5th, 2021
- Like CBD, turmeric has taken the modern wellness industry by stormand for good reason! - OK! - March 5th, 2021
- Hemp oil Market Increasing Demand, Industry Share, Growth with Industry Study Pandemic, Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global... - February 22nd, 2021
- Recent Study on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2021 Including Key Players, Applications, and Growth Size By 2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 22nd, 2021
- Health Benefits of CBD Oil for Women | Info4u | indiawest.com - India West - India West - February 22nd, 2021
- Leafreport: Less than 1 in 4 CBD topicals contain the amount of CBD labeled - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Insights, Overview, Analysis and Forecast 2021 2023 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - February 22nd, 2021
- Keebler cookies, cbdMD Gummies among 2021 Products of the Year - Candy Industry - February 22nd, 2021
- Legal Marijuana Market Analysis with Top Trends, Leading Companies, Key Regions, Segments, Mergers and Foreseen By DBMR Till 2027 : VIVO Cannabis, Dr.... - February 22nd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market to Witness Stunning Growth To Generate Massive Revenue Forecast to 2027 Gaia Herbs ENDOCA, Diamond CBD, NuLeaf Naturals The Courier -... - February 22nd, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Set to Witness Huge Growth and Competitive Outlook Aurora Cannabis, Diamond CBD, ENDOCA The Courier - The Courier - February 22nd, 2021
- Global Medical Cannabis Based Oil Extract-Infused Products Market Trends and Vendors Analysis after Covid-19 Pandemic Opportunities Scenario... - February 22nd, 2021
- Hempura Plans to Bring Authentic CBD Oil Products to the United States - Yahoo Finance - February 6th, 2021
- 5 Best CBD Ointments and Salves of 2021 - Healthline - February 6th, 2021
- Benefits of the CBD oil - - VENTS Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Cbd Oil Market COVID-19 Impact and Analysis by Type,, Application, and Country KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 6th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market by Top International Players, Segmentation, Industry Growth, Research Report, Regional Overview Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 6th, 2021
- Women Increasingly Turn to CBD, With or Without Doc's Blessing - Medscape - February 6th, 2021
- CBD Oil & Other Tricks to Relax - Gary Skentelbery - February 6th, 2021
- Flying is Now Easier Thanks to New Phase Blends' CBD-based Sleep Aid - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- Water-soluble CBD provides the infused goods sector with a clear solution for beverages and other products - Food Engineering Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- After years of research and a tragic accident, this duo launched a hemp-based organic products brand to bring - YourStory - February 6th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 Global Healthcare Industry Analysis By COVID-19 Impact On Size, Share, Business, Growth, Trends, Regional And Forecast To 2027 ... - February 6th, 2021
- CBD for IBS: Research and Effectiveness - Healthline - January 29th, 2021
- Kick-off 2021 with 10 deals on CBD products and smoking accessories - Boing Boing - January 29th, 2021
- Synchronicity Sets the Quality Gold Standard in CBD Hemp Industry Earning ISO 9001-2015 Certification - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - January 29th, 2021
- CBD Hemp Oil: How Leading Players Are Decoding The Impact Of Coronavirus On CBD Hemp Oil Industry? - The Courier - January 29th, 2021
- Organic CBD Hemp Oil Market : The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario KSU | The Sentinel... - January 29th, 2021
- Why CBD oil could be pro athletes' new secret weapon and yours too - TimesLIVE - January 17th, 2021
- CBD oil donation will hopefully help horses at Rocky Mountain Horse Rescue in their recovery - The Denver Channel - January 17th, 2021