The best Caribbean beaches in the world are all within reach of Northern Ohio. And there are plenty of islands bursting with adventures, activities, clear water and stunning natural sites. The question remains, which Caribbean island is best suited for you?
The way to determine that is simple. Visit the island. And you can do so by cruise ship, where you can spend the day getting a lovely taste of the area. Here are some exceptional Caribbean islands that most of the major cruise lines call on.
Discover all of Antiguas amazing treasures and fascinating past. Explore three of Antiguas best-known locations while traveling through the heart of the countryside, past rolling hills and local villages. Visit the famous Nelsons Dockyard, the worlds only Georgian-era dockyard still in use, Blockhouse Ruins, and Shirley Heights for an amazing view of the harbor. Relax as you explore one of the most gorgeous cities in the eastern Caribbean.
Embark on a leisurely cruise from St. Lucias north coast to discover the magnificent volcanic peaks known as the Gros and Petit Pitons. Rising dramatically from the ocean, these incredible geographic landmarks each reach heights of more than 2,000 feet. After your visit to the Pitons, continue sailing northward, with a stop for swimming and a visit to Marigot Bay.
Explore the island of Aruba on a scenic drive. Enjoy spectacular views while learning about the culture and rich history of Aruba. Visit key landmarks and natural wonders. See the charming capital of Oranjestad, with its Dutch Colonial architecture, and schooner harbor. Marvel at the unusual geological formations of the Casibari Rock Formations. See the gold mill ruins, breathtaking beaches, and the natural bridge, a geological wonder formed by the forces of the wind and the sea.
Visit St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, and explore its historic, cultural and natural sites. Marvel at St. Croixs tropical beauty and captivating views as you make your way along the island. Learn about the cultural traditions of the islanders before arriving to the historical town of Christiansted. Browse the shops or enjoy a stroll over to the famous Fort Christiansvern.
Explore natures island with unspoiled beauty, a divers dream and its listed as one of the 10 best destinations to dive. A hikers paradise with 300 miles of trails a true nature lovers dream and an adventure, unlike any other Caribbean destination. Dominica has volcanic peaks, boiling waters and underwater champagne springs, sparkling waterfalls, rushing streams, rainforest canopies with spectacular drops and a submerged volcanic crater.
A gateway isle of the U.S. Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. Its known for its beaches and snorkeling spots and duty free shopping. Territorial capital Charlotte Amalie, founded by the Danish in the 1600s, is a busy cruise-ship port. Historic buildings include a 1679 watch tower, Blackbeards Castle, in reference to the areas pirate history. On the harbor, 17th-century Fort Christian is now a local-history museum.
St. Maarten / St. Martin
St. Martin is part of the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean Sea. It comprises two- separate countries, divided between its northern French side, Saint Martin, and its southern Dutch side, St. Maarten. The island is home to busy resort beaches and secluded coves. Its also known for fusion cuisine, vibrant nightlife and duty-free shops selling jewelry and liquor.
Grand Cayman is the largest of the Cayman Islands, a British overseas territory in the Caribbean. George Town, its capital, is home to the Cayman Islands National Museum, dedicated to Caymanian heritage. The city is also a major cruise-ship port and site of the ruins of colonial-era Fort George. Beaches and vibrant coral reefs are the islands hallmarks.
A Caribbean island nation has a lush topography of mountains, rainforests and reef-lined beaches. Many of its all-inclusive resorts are clustered in Montego Bay, with its British-colonial architecture, and Negril, known for its diving and snorkeling sites. Jamaica is famed as the birthplace of reggae music, and its capital Kingston is home to the Bob Marley Museum, dedicated to the famous singer.
Turks and Caicos
An archipelago of 40 low-lying coral islands in the Atlantic Ocean, a British overseas territory southeast of the Bahamas. The gateway island of Providenciales, known as Provo, is home to expansive Grace Bay Beach, with luxury resorts, shops and restaurants. Scuba-diving sites include a 14-mile barrier reef on Provos north shore and a dramatic 2,134m underwater wall off Grand Turk Island.
Arlene Goldberg is president and owner of Action Travel Center in Solon.
Content provided by our advertising partner.
Read the original:
- Caribbean jerk chicken and a savory side - Auburn Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Walk in the Footsteps of Alexander Hamilton on This Tiny Caribbean Island - Smithsonian - August 25th, 2017
- A Taste Of The Caribbean In Philadelphia - CBS Philly - August 20th, 2017
- African slaves were both medical guinea pigs and scientists on ... - Quartz - August 20th, 2017
- Harvey Could Rebound in the Western Caribbean; Two Other Areas Are Being Monitored For Tropical Development - Wunderground.com (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical cyclone expected Thursday from wave nearing Caribbean - Miami Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Caribbean Premier League 2017: 5 players who performed well during Week Two - Yahoo Cricket - August 20th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Post Round-Up: August 20, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey forms east of the Caribbean, forecasters say - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Hero Caribbean Premier League brings top-tier cricket to Lauderhill - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Bonnie Tyler to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' on Royal Caribbean cruise during total solar eclipse - Fox News - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean CEO: College taught me the right way to protest - CNBC - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean ramping up China efforts with new super-ship - Asia Times - August 18th, 2017
- Triple tropical threat looms in the Atlantic, Caribbean - AccuWeather.com - August 16th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean reveals name of newest cruise ship for China and celebrates steel cutting ceremony - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- 'Muslim Origins in the Caribbean' lectures to be held at university - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Has rail a future in the Caribbean? - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean will feature Bonnie Tyler singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on Total Eclipse cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Spotted: Deluxe Beverage and Ultimate Dining Package combo - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Deloitte Selects Miami Based Unified Technologies for Caribbean Cyber Security Alliance - IoT Evolution World (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Is the business class taking over Caribbean politics? - Antigua Observer - August 14th, 2017
- Conversations about women's sexuality in carnival culture - Caribbean Life - August 14th, 2017
- Player feedback results in the return of PokerStars Caribbean Adventure - World Casino Directory - August 14th, 2017
- The District becomes Caribbean island paradise - Quad-Cities Online - August 13th, 2017
- Caribbean Filmmakers Stepping Up* - Trinidad & Tobago Express - August 13th, 2017
- AP PHOTOS: Editor selections from Latin America, Caribbean - New Jersey Herald - August 13th, 2017
- Aruba Hosts Caribbean's Largest Vow Renewal - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- Report shows amount Caribbean states paid firms to lobby the US - WIC News - August 13th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean offering instant savings and Oasis Class bonuses for weekend Sail Away Sale - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- Feasting Through the Western Caribbean on Carnival's Vista - The Daily Meal - August 10th, 2017
- Critically endangered staghorn corals are benefiting from coral gardening in the Caribbean - Mongabay.com - August 10th, 2017
- Seafood festival with Caribbean accent comes to town - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - August 9th, 2017
- Air France adds Caribbean route from Atlanta - USA TODAY - August 9th, 2017
- Aruba Hosts Caribbean's Largest Vow Renewal - PR Newswire (press release) - August 9th, 2017
- Tropical systems to unleash torrential downpours in northern Caribbean - AccuWeather.com - August 9th, 2017
- Sak Pase! Rihanna's Thick New Bod Shuts Down Caribbean Carnival - Wetpaint - August 9th, 2017
- Orange Hosts Grand Caribbean Festival & Parade - TAPinto.net - August 9th, 2017
- Top things to do on a sea day on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- State worker faked injuries, went kayaking in Caribbean, IG says ... - Albany Times Union - August 8th, 2017
- Liddick: Look to the Caribbean to see America's future (column) - Summit Daily News - August 8th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Franklin forms in western Caribbean, hurricane watches posted for Mexico - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean plans beach enhancements at private destination of Labadee - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- UPDATE: 2 potential systems brewing in Caribbean, Atlantic - MyPalmBeachPost (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- International fugitive who bilked $130K out of elderly people arrested in SC - The State - August 6th, 2017
- "Talking the Tropics With Mike": Tropical disturbance in Caribbean - Aug. 6th - ActionNewsJax.com - August 6th, 2017
- Puerto Rican island is a Caribbean paradise without the frills [column] - LancasterOnline - August 6th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Post Round-Up: August 6, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- COO Goldstein Sells Over $14000000 in Royal Caribbean Stock - Cruise Law News - August 6th, 2017
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Bring Their PDA to the Caribbean on Barbados Vacation - Entertainment Tonight - August 6th, 2017
- UPDATE: 2 potential systems brewing in Caribbean, Atlantic - Palm Beach Post (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas Adding Havana, Cuba As Port of Call In 2019 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 6th, 2017
- Spirits high despite rain at Toronto Caribbean Carnival Grande Parade - Toronto Star - August 6th, 2017
- "Talking the Tropics With Mike": Caribbean wave trying to organize ... - ActionNewsJax.com - August 6th, 2017
- Caribbean, East Atlantic may spawn tropical threats in coming days - AccuWeather.com - August 5th, 2017
- 2017 Caribbean Hoopfest Slated for August 16-21 in Montego Bay, Jamaica - SLAM Online - August 5th, 2017
- UN agencies say Caribbean fails to fully meet recommended standards for breastfeeding - Jamaica Observer - August 5th, 2017
- South Atlanta Caribbean Cultural Festival planned for Aug. 19 - News-Daily.com - August 5th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean tests Diamond drink redemption change - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 5th, 2017
- Caribbean, East Atlantic may spawn tropical threats in coming days - Fox News - August 4th, 2017
- Airbnb will let you rent your own off-the-grid Caribbean island - Inhabitat - August 4th, 2017
- The time for Caribbean flair is now - ESPN - August 4th, 2017
- Sunday Supper: Caribbean Salmon - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 4th, 2017
- Would You Buy Donald Trump's $17 Million Caribbean Mansion? - Cosmopolitan.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Should it matter who pays for Caribbean development? - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 3rd, 2017
- Royal Caribbean: Just Say You Were Wrong, OK? - Barron's - August 3rd, 2017
- Donald Trump's Massive Caribbean Estate Isn't Selling, So He Just Dropped the Price by $11 Million (PICS) - Bravo (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Indie Spotlight: 'Scraps' Animates The Mischief Of A Caribbean Cat - Tubefilter - August 3rd, 2017
- Who Feeds the Farmer? Caribbean, Mexican, Southwest on Rebos' menu in Sioux City - Midwest Producer - August 3rd, 2017
- Hot Pot Caribbean Cuisine in Chandler Is the Neighborhood Joint You Wish You Had - Phoenix New Times - August 3rd, 2017
- President Trump's Caribbean Estate Just Got $11 Million Cheaper - Money Magazine - August 2nd, 2017
- Caribbean Queens again - Trinidad & Tobago Express - August 2nd, 2017
- Caribbean voice: How calypso went from plantation to politics - BBC ... - BBC News - August 2nd, 2017
- Flight deal of the week: UK to the Caribbean for 298 - The Independent - August 2nd, 2017
- ARIN Strengthens Commitment to the Caribbean - PR Newswire (press release) - August 2nd, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL) Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha - August 1st, 2017
- Climate Adaptation Finance Update: Caribbean Resilience Receives Boost - IISD Reporting Services - August 1st, 2017
- Caribbean Crackdowns: A Really Bad Week For Democracy, Free Enterprise - WLRN - August 1st, 2017
- The Best Caribbean Islands for Foodies - Tasting Table - August 1st, 2017
- Royal Caribbean and Scana rise as Under Armour stumbles - Fox Business - August 1st, 2017
- Climate Change Brings Migration from the Dry Corridor to Nicaragua's Caribbean Coast - Inter Press Service - August 1st, 2017