The best Caribbean beaches in the world are all within reach of Northern Ohio. And there are plenty of islands bursting with adventures, activities, clear water and stunning natural sites. The question remains, which Caribbean island is best suited for you?
The way to determine that is simple. Visit the island. And you can do so by cruise ship, where you can spend the day getting a lovely taste of the area. Here are some exceptional Caribbean islands that most of the major cruise lines call on.
Discover all of Antiguas amazing treasures and fascinating past. Explore three of Antiguas best-known locations while traveling through the heart of the countryside, past rolling hills and local villages. Visit the famous Nelsons Dockyard, the worlds only Georgian-era dockyard still in use, Blockhouse Ruins, and Shirley Heights for an amazing view of the harbor. Relax as you explore one of the most gorgeous cities in the eastern Caribbean.
Embark on a leisurely cruise from St. Lucias north coast to discover the magnificent volcanic peaks known as the Gros and Petit Pitons. Rising dramatically from the ocean, these incredible geographic landmarks each reach heights of more than 2,000 feet. After your visit to the Pitons, continue sailing northward, with a stop for swimming and a visit to Marigot Bay.
Explore the island of Aruba on a scenic drive. Enjoy spectacular views while learning about the culture and rich history of Aruba. Visit key landmarks and natural wonders. See the charming capital of Oranjestad, with its Dutch Colonial architecture, and schooner harbor. Marvel at the unusual geological formations of the Casibari Rock Formations. See the gold mill ruins, breathtaking beaches, and the natural bridge, a geological wonder formed by the forces of the wind and the sea.
Visit St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, and explore its historic, cultural and natural sites. Marvel at St. Croixs tropical beauty and captivating views as you make your way along the island. Learn about the cultural traditions of the islanders before arriving to the historical town of Christiansted. Browse the shops or enjoy a stroll over to the famous Fort Christiansvern.
Explore natures island with unspoiled beauty, a divers dream and its listed as one of the 10 best destinations to dive. A hikers paradise with 300 miles of trails a true nature lovers dream and an adventure, unlike any other Caribbean destination. Dominica has volcanic peaks, boiling waters and underwater champagne springs, sparkling waterfalls, rushing streams, rainforest canopies with spectacular drops and a submerged volcanic crater.
A gateway isle of the U.S. Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. Its known for its beaches and snorkeling spots and duty free shopping. Territorial capital Charlotte Amalie, founded by the Danish in the 1600s, is a busy cruise-ship port. Historic buildings include a 1679 watch tower, Blackbeards Castle, in reference to the areas pirate history. On the harbor, 17th-century Fort Christian is now a local-history museum.
St. Maarten / St. Martin
St. Martin is part of the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean Sea. It comprises two- separate countries, divided between its northern French side, Saint Martin, and its southern Dutch side, St. Maarten. The island is home to busy resort beaches and secluded coves. Its also known for fusion cuisine, vibrant nightlife and duty-free shops selling jewelry and liquor.
Grand Cayman is the largest of the Cayman Islands, a British overseas territory in the Caribbean. George Town, its capital, is home to the Cayman Islands National Museum, dedicated to Caymanian heritage. The city is also a major cruise-ship port and site of the ruins of colonial-era Fort George. Beaches and vibrant coral reefs are the islands hallmarks.
A Caribbean island nation has a lush topography of mountains, rainforests and reef-lined beaches. Many of its all-inclusive resorts are clustered in Montego Bay, with its British-colonial architecture, and Negril, known for its diving and snorkeling sites. Jamaica is famed as the birthplace of reggae music, and its capital Kingston is home to the Bob Marley Museum, dedicated to the famous singer.
Turks and Caicos
An archipelago of 40 low-lying coral islands in the Atlantic Ocean, a British overseas territory southeast of the Bahamas. The gateway island of Providenciales, known as Provo, is home to expansive Grace Bay Beach, with luxury resorts, shops and restaurants. Scuba-diving sites include a 14-mile barrier reef on Provos north shore and a dramatic 2,134m underwater wall off Grand Turk Island.
Arlene Goldberg is president and owner of Action Travel Center in Solon.
Content provided by our advertising partner.
Read the original:
- Caribbean Photo of the Week: A Waterfall in Jamaica - Caribbean Journal - November 17th, 2019
- Is Venezuela Becoming the Libya of the Caribbean? - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - November 17th, 2019
- 20 Best Caribbean Islands to Visit Today - The Trend Spotter - November 17th, 2019
- Internationalisation of TTIs in the Caribbean - University World News - November 17th, 2019
- Caribbean Hispanics and Baseball: How to Connect In and Outside the U.S. - Portada-online.com - November 17th, 2019
- Joanna Lumley To Uncover The Hidden Caribbean In Her Latest Adventure For ITV - Deadline - November 17th, 2019
- UN spotlights 'explosive' obesity rates, hunger in Latin America and Caribbean - UN News - November 17th, 2019
- This Indian version of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme is too infectious for words - Classic FM - November 17th, 2019
- BVI Food Fete Offers a Tantalizing Taste of the Caribbean - TravelPulse - November 17th, 2019
- Viceroy to Open Caribbean Overwater Bungalow Resort in 2021 - Caribbean Journal - November 17th, 2019
- Pirates of the Caribbean Child Actor Dominic Scott Kay Is Now Grown Up and Making Country Music - The Epoch Times - November 17th, 2019
- Beyond the beach: 10 Caribbean adventures for restless travellers - The Telegraph - November 17th, 2019
- The Best Destinations in the Caribbean - TravelersToday - November 17th, 2019
- Panorama of Food and Nutritional Security in Latin America and the Caribbean - World - ReliefWeb - November 17th, 2019
- Carnival Fascination to Sail New Caribbean Itineraries - Cruise Hive - November 17th, 2019
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Weekly Situation Update (4-11 November 2019) As of 11 November 2019 - World - ReliefWeb - November 17th, 2019
- Montauk Meets The Caribbean: Navy Beach Opens In St.Thomas And St. Maarten - Forbes - October 20th, 2019
- Study explores why Caribbean adults have higher hypertension rates - Yale News - October 20th, 2019
- The Caribbean Shows the Way to a Renewable Future - Greentech Media News - October 20th, 2019
- Two Universities Sign Historic Agreement on Slavery Reparations in the Caribbean - The Good Men Project - October 20th, 2019
- This Top Caribbean Eco-Resort Is Returning in 2020 - Caribbean Journal - October 20th, 2019
- Royal Caribbeans Adventure of the Seas requests help from Coast Guard off Jersey Shore - USA TODAY - October 20th, 2019
- Best Snorkeling and Scuba Destinations in the Caribbean - Fodor's Travel - October 20th, 2019
- Karen Gillan Being Eyed To Lead Pirates Of The Caribbean Reboot - We Got This Covered - October 20th, 2019
- 'Dancing With the Stars': James Van Der Beek's Kids Adorably Recreate His 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Routine - PopCulture.com - October 20th, 2019
- The Caribbean, India's Golden Triangle, safari in southern Africa and other holiday favourites - The Times - October 20th, 2019
- Tropical Storm Nestor: Will swirling vortex reach the Caribbean? - Express.co.uk - October 20th, 2019
- Tiny Caribbean Island is the Only Place with Cist Graves in the Americas - Ancient Origins - October 20th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean Stock Will Outperform, Analyst Says - Barron's - October 20th, 2019
- Caribbean jerk chicken and a savory side - Auburn Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Walk in the Footsteps of Alexander Hamilton on This Tiny Caribbean Island - Smithsonian - August 25th, 2017
- A Taste Of The Caribbean In Philadelphia - CBS Philly - August 20th, 2017
- African slaves were both medical guinea pigs and scientists on ... - Quartz - August 20th, 2017
- Harvey Could Rebound in the Western Caribbean; Two Other Areas Are Being Monitored For Tropical Development - Wunderground.com (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical cyclone expected Thursday from wave nearing Caribbean - Miami Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Caribbean Premier League 2017: 5 players who performed well during Week Two - Yahoo Cricket - August 20th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Post Round-Up: August 20, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey forms east of the Caribbean, forecasters say - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Hero Caribbean Premier League brings top-tier cricket to Lauderhill - Sun Sentinel - August 18th, 2017
- Bonnie Tyler to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' on Royal Caribbean cruise during total solar eclipse - Fox News - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean CEO: College taught me the right way to protest - CNBC - August 18th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean ramping up China efforts with new super-ship - Asia Times - August 18th, 2017
- Triple tropical threat looms in the Atlantic, Caribbean - AccuWeather.com - August 16th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean reveals name of newest cruise ship for China and celebrates steel cutting ceremony - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- 'Muslim Origins in the Caribbean' lectures to be held at university - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Has rail a future in the Caribbean? - Virgin Islands Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean will feature Bonnie Tyler singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on Total Eclipse cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Spotted: Deluxe Beverage and Ultimate Dining Package combo - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Deloitte Selects Miami Based Unified Technologies for Caribbean Cyber Security Alliance - IoT Evolution World (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Is the business class taking over Caribbean politics? - Antigua Observer - August 14th, 2017
- Conversations about women's sexuality in carnival culture - Caribbean Life - August 14th, 2017
- Player feedback results in the return of PokerStars Caribbean Adventure - World Casino Directory - August 14th, 2017
- The District becomes Caribbean island paradise - Quad-Cities Online - August 13th, 2017
- Caribbean Filmmakers Stepping Up* - Trinidad & Tobago Express - August 13th, 2017
- AP PHOTOS: Editor selections from Latin America, Caribbean - New Jersey Herald - August 13th, 2017
- Aruba Hosts Caribbean's Largest Vow Renewal - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- Report shows amount Caribbean states paid firms to lobby the US - WIC News - August 13th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean offering instant savings and Oasis Class bonuses for weekend Sail Away Sale - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- Feasting Through the Western Caribbean on Carnival's Vista - The Daily Meal - August 10th, 2017
- Critically endangered staghorn corals are benefiting from coral gardening in the Caribbean - Mongabay.com - August 10th, 2017
- Seafood festival with Caribbean accent comes to town - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - August 9th, 2017
- Air France adds Caribbean route from Atlanta - USA TODAY - August 9th, 2017
- Aruba Hosts Caribbean's Largest Vow Renewal - PR Newswire (press release) - August 9th, 2017
- Tropical systems to unleash torrential downpours in northern Caribbean - AccuWeather.com - August 9th, 2017
- Sak Pase! Rihanna's Thick New Bod Shuts Down Caribbean Carnival - Wetpaint - August 9th, 2017
- Orange Hosts Grand Caribbean Festival & Parade - TAPinto.net - August 9th, 2017
- Top things to do on a sea day on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- State worker faked injuries, went kayaking in Caribbean, IG says ... - Albany Times Union - August 8th, 2017
- Liddick: Look to the Caribbean to see America's future (column) - Summit Daily News - August 8th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Franklin forms in western Caribbean, hurricane watches posted for Mexico - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean plans beach enhancements at private destination of Labadee - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- UPDATE: 2 potential systems brewing in Caribbean, Atlantic - MyPalmBeachPost (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- International fugitive who bilked $130K out of elderly people arrested in SC - The State - August 6th, 2017
- "Talking the Tropics With Mike": Tropical disturbance in Caribbean - Aug. 6th - ActionNewsJax.com - August 6th, 2017
- Puerto Rican island is a Caribbean paradise without the frills [column] - LancasterOnline - August 6th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean Post Round-Up: August 6, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Blog (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- COO Goldstein Sells Over $14000000 in Royal Caribbean Stock - Cruise Law News - August 6th, 2017
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Bring Their PDA to the Caribbean on Barbados Vacation - Entertainment Tonight - August 6th, 2017
- UPDATE: 2 potential systems brewing in Caribbean, Atlantic - Palm Beach Post (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas Adding Havana, Cuba As Port of Call In 2019 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 6th, 2017