President Bidens treasury secretary Janet Yellen using her first major speech to call for a global minimum tax rate is exactly the kind of big-government, nowhere-to-hide nightmare that caused so many people to turn to populist nationalism over the past decade.
It doesnt help that she was confirmed to her new position by a Senate vote of 84-15, either. That just shows that, exactly as the populists warned us, the establishment is unified when it comes time to behave like haughty mercantilists, constantly shifting just a bit more money and economic decision-making power into the hands of rulers and out of common peoples.
Governments love homogeneous international standards, not because such standards are a token of global peace and shared humanity but because when all governments are on the same page policy-wise, theres no longer any easy way for people to compare two countries and say, Hey look, Option B works better! Ill buy, sell, run a business, or work over there! Homogeneity puts a stop to comparison-shopping of all kinds. For the same reason, totalitarian regimes never want their subjects getting too much information about what life is like overseas. When you cant compare and cant choose, youre more likely to accept your lot and submit.
Naturally, the Biden/Yellen push is for a globalminimumtax, too, not a maximum. They dont want any country luring away business by offering more freedomick, competition!but if some country wants to offer less freedom, well, thats fine, who are we to judge, etc. This is the ruling classs master plan to prevent the global race to the bottom that the left and left-liberals are always warning about, which is really the natural competition to find, move to, and trade with the places that have the least oppressive taxes and regulations.
Its neither globalism nor localism per se that does harm, though, but the lack of freedom. Politicians usually do harm on both a global and local level; the so-called globalistsinternational organizations and national leaders such as Biden with enough clout to influence the policies of other countriesjust have a strategic advantage when it comes to cutting off your escape routes. They fear you having economic options in the same way they lately fear boisterous dissenting voices. We should resist this sort of global governance but should welcome free global trade, contrary to the thinking of both the left and the populist right, which dreams of thwarting commerce just as much as the left does but by different means (walls and tariffs instead of globally-harmonized regulatory schemes).
I outlined some of these free-market basicsrooted in individual property rightsin my bookLibertarianism for Beginnersfive years ago this month. The world may need such ideas even more now than it did then, so perhaps I wasnt very effective. As if Trumps anti-global-trade tendencies and the whole worlds acceptance of anti-COVID lockdowns didnt do enough to tamp down commerce and reduce our liberties, Biden is now undoing exactly those things Trump got right, such as tax and regulatory reforms (measures you may recall contributing to a big economic boom just before COVID derailed everything).
The rising stock market, as the real left has long said, conceals suffering closer to the bottom rungs of the economy, and very little of Bidens trillion-dollar infrastructure spending plan will do anything to change that. The freedom to trade would, without government needing to do a thing besides stay out of the way for a change.
Biden is doing and planning economic damage without even freeing up the border, which was surely the one increase in freedom that people had a right to expect from the anti-Trump political faction. Migrants are one of the most visible expressions of people rationally choosing one legal regime over another (when theyre permitted to do so and arent herded into camps upon arrival). Its globalismof the natural kind that happens without regulatory edicts from on high, when people are allowed to do as they choose, where they choose. Predictably, restrictions on peoples freedom in that area appear likely to carry over from the prior administration even as new restrictions (and new spending) are added in other areas.
Thats the usual pattern: The authoritarian policies stick, the libertarian ones get ditched.
Adding insult to injury, even a growing number of libertarians seem to get these issues wrong, becoming suckers for the global-sounding talk of would-be international regulators like Yellen or for the defensive-sounding talk of right-wing border patrol enthusiasts, mistaking the former for trade and the latter for secure property rights. Both right and left (even within libertarian ranks) seem to be growing angrier and more willing to talk about using government to enact punitive reprisals against political enemies.
And when dialogue breaks down, the last thing we need is a world so homogenizedso uniformly taxed, regulated, and policedthat you cant even stand up and walk away.
Todd Seavey is the author ofLibertarianism for Beginnersand is on Twitter at @ToddSeavey.
Read this article:
The Bad Kind of Globalism - Splice Today
- Ted Budd Officially Entering 2022 NC Senate Race - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - April 29th, 2021
- Elections official admits breaking rule | Indiana | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - April 29th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Wisconsin holds annual convention in Eau Claire - WQOW TV News 18 - April 25th, 2021
- Letter: Calling out the misinformed, on the right and left, about COVID-19 - Eagle-Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Boris's threat to intervene in the Super League furore is proof that his libertarian instincts are dead - Reaction - April 23rd, 2021
- WAHRHAFTIG: This Year's Primary Affects Everyone And Everyone Can Vote - Patch.com - April 23rd, 2021
- The Economic Fallout of COVID-19: Could We Have Avoided This Disaster? - Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: April 5, 2021 - West Hawaii Today - April 6th, 2021
- Vaccine Passports and Supply Chain Political Blacklist Risk - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- Glenn Nielsen and David Tyson Smith race toward the 45th District special election - Columbia Daily Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor for March 31, 2021 | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - April 4th, 2021
- How Living on a Socialist Kibbutz Reveals the Value of Private Property - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- I Am An Ambedkarite And A Libertarian And I Do Not Owe Anything To Your Opinion - Youth Ki Awaaz - March 31st, 2021
- Libertarianism - Libertarian philosophy | Britannica - March 29th, 2021
- libertarianism | Definition, Doctrines, History, & Facts ... - March 25th, 2021
- Education and Naive Libertarianism - National Review - March 25th, 2021
- March 19-21: Libertarian Party of NH convention with keynote from former US Rep. Justin Amash - Manchester Ink Link - March 25th, 2021
- Why We Don't Need Any More "Political" Clubs on Campus The Skidmore News - Skidmore News - March 25th, 2021
- If we don't rediscover our libertarian spirit, the next pandemic will crush us - Telegraph.co.uk - March 25th, 2021
- Is it any surprise Republican men dont want the COVID vaccine? - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- Area business participates in hygiene drive | News, Sports, Jobs - The Express - Lock Haven Express - March 25th, 2021
- Recover the Moral Imperative of Law and Order city-journal.org - City Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Will Prohibitionists Tie The New Conservative Movement To Trump? - The Fresh Toast - March 25th, 2021
- 'Tip of the iceberg': Lawmakers mull domestic terrorism legislation after Capitol riot, other violence - USA TODAY - March 25th, 2021
- Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs announces he will run for reelection in 2022 - Knoxville News Sentinel - March 25th, 2021
- Bidenomics - The Nation - March 3rd, 2021
- Warren, Pressley among Dems pushing to strip police of 'qualified immunity' - Fox News - March 3rd, 2021
- Nick Robinson on 'Silk Road' and Carrying the Torch for 'Jurassic Park' - Hollywood Reporter - March 3rd, 2021
- Wyoming's Voter Registration Numbers Dip By More Than 20K Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 3rd, 2021
- Recollections of Murray on His Ninety-Fifth Birthday - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - March 3rd, 2021
- Threatened by Libertarians, Iowa GOP moves goal posts - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- The New Foreign Flavor of CPACs Red Meat - New York Magazine - February 28th, 2021
- CPAC and the New Republicanism - The New York Times - February 28th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Indiana's response to Secretary of State's resignation - Shelbynews - February 28th, 2021
- Iowa's bad election bill will stifle early voting, micromanage auditors - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- Letter: School voucher programs benefit the wealthy - The Republic - February 28th, 2021
- News - The Bankruptcy of Conservative Political Paternalism - The Heartland Institute - February 18th, 2021
- Rush Limbaugh galvanised and embodied the modern American right - The Economist - February 18th, 2021
- People Of Georgia's 14th Congressional Make Decision Who Will Occupy That Seat - Jamestown Post Journal - February 18th, 2021
- My Take: Here's a unity solution: Have one standard - HollandSentinel.com - February 18th, 2021
- 77 third-party candidates received more votes than the winner's margin of victory in 2020 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - January 29th, 2021
- Empathize with Trump voters? A Progressive and a Libertarian agree to disagree - KUOW News and Information - January 27th, 2021
- STATE: Constitution, Green parties no longer recognized in North Carolina - The Stanly News & Press | The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News... - January 27th, 2021
- Book Review: When A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear, nobody wins (except the reader) - NPI's Cascadia Advocate - January 27th, 2021
- Brennan: Intel Agencies To Probe The 'Bigots' Behind US 'Insurgency' - The Federalist - January 27th, 2021
- The politics of an Auschwitz survivors son - The Boston Globe - January 27th, 2021
- Sedition Cases Against Capitol Rioters 'Will Bear Fruit Very Soon,' Says FBI - Reason - January 27th, 2021
- Former GOP congressman urges Never Trumpers to join Libertarian Party - Washington Times - January 15th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: There are options to political dissatisfaction - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - January 15th, 2021
- The war between Silicon Valley and Washington takes a new turn - POLITICO - January 9th, 2021
- LETTER: Yukon the Libertarian friend of a reindeer? - The News Herald - January 1st, 2021
- 21 Things That Kept Me Going In 2020 - kottke.org - January 1st, 2021
- What Happened?: The 2020 election showed that libertarians have a long way to go before they can become a national movement. - USAPP American Politics... - December 29th, 2020
- My New Year's wish for Sarasotans - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - December 29th, 2020
- Splinter Republican representatives sign "termination of the state" document calling Sununu a 'tyrant' - Concord Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- Theres no right to infect - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 21st, 2020
- The Disastrous Handling of the Pandemic is Libertarianism in Action, Will Americans Finally Say Good Riddance? - CounterPunch - July 21st, 2020
- Justin Amash's Tenure as the Libertarian Party's First Member in Congress Will Be Shortlived - Reason - July 21st, 2020
- You don't have the right to put others at risk by not wearing a mask - Newsday - July 21st, 2020
- The Libertarian Case for Immigration (and Against Trump) - Lawfare - July 21st, 2020
- We have now reached peak Libertarianism and it is literally killing us - AlterNet - July 21st, 2020
- Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian - Washington Examiner - July 21st, 2020
- Are the British conformist or libertarian? Our face mask response is telling - The Guardian - July 21st, 2020
- Chad Blair: There's A High Bar For Legislative Candidates Without A - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 21st, 2020
- 3 highlights from Penn Jillette's Big Think interview on 2020, cancel culture, and friendship - Big Think - July 21st, 2020
- They praise John Lewis but hate Black voting rights and Black Lives Matter. - Mother Jones - July 21st, 2020
- Md. on the Hook for $27K in Legal Fees to Conservative Group - Josh Kurtz - July 21st, 2020
- Why Boris Johnson is having to sacrifice his libertarian values in the battle against coronavirus - Telegraph.co.uk - July 21st, 2020
- Weber Reaffirms Commitment to Preserving 2nd Amendment Rights - TAPinto.net - July 21st, 2020
- Your Illinois News Radar Longshot day at the ISBE - The Capitol Fax Blog - July 21st, 2020
- Those who claim wearing masks to be un-American haven't thought through the problem - KRWG - July 21st, 2020
- N.Y. Primary: Who Is on the Ballot? - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- We Watched the Libertarian Party Vice Presidential Debate So You Didn't Have To - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- That Time the Libertarian Party Debated the Private Ownership of Nuclear Weapons - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- You Dont Have to Like the Decree, But Wear Face Masks Anyway - Bacon's Rebellion - May 27th, 2020
- Justin Amash, Ross Perot and the third-party future: Ranked choice voting is the answer - Salon - May 27th, 2020
- An outbreak anywhere is an outbreak everywhere - Modern Diplomacy - May 14th, 2020
- Libertarian Party To Choose Its Presidential Ticket in Virtual Vote Over Memorial Day Weekend - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Johnson address shows he has been swayed by hawks in his cabinet - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Dershowitz Defends and Criticizes Flynn by Railing Against Entrapment and Fair-Weather Civil Libertarians - Law & Crime - May 11th, 2020