March 11, 2020, 1:44 PM
9 min read
It's a sign of the times.
Chairs for reporters in the Pentagon briefing room, usually side-by-side, on Tuesday were placed roughly three feet apart. Even the military briefers stood well apart from each other on the podium.
Chairs were placed three feet apart from each other in the Pentagon Briefing Room Tuesday amid coronavirus concerns.
With health experts advising "social distancing" to ward off the coronavirus, some of official Washington, but not everyone, was taking heed in a town where crowded news conferences and congressional hearings are the norm and close contact can be unavoidable.
On Capitol Hill, the House attending physician told members of Congress -- who skew older and are more vulnerable to the coronavirus -- they should avoid handshakes and hugs -- not easy for glad-handing politicians.
Tune into ABC News Live at noon ET every weekday for the latest news, context and analysis on the novel coronavirus, with the full ABC News team where we will try to answer your questions about the virus.
At one hearing, Democratic Rep. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut elbow bumped with a witness who would know the drill: the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Robert Redfield.
Rep. Rosa DeLauro and CDC Director Robert Redfield bump elbows prior to Redfield testifying before the House Appropriations Committee on the CDC's budget request for fiscal year 2021 on Capitol Hill on March 10, 2020, in Washington.
Senators have been seen trying out the elbow bump as well -- even bipartisan ones. On Monday, as Sen. Chris Coons, a Delaware Democrat, was speaking to reporters, South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham elbow bumped him as he walked by.
They've even been doing the bump on the Senate floor.
Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, left, rubs elbows with Wells Fargo CEO and President Charles Scharf before he testifies during a hearing of the House Financial Services Committee, on Capitol Hill, March 10, 2020, in Washington.
Alabama GOP Sen. Richard Shelby told ABC News he called off going to a big meeting overseas.
"I was supposed to go to Brussels for a NATO meeting and to London, but I cancelled the meeting," Shelby said. "The doctor said stay off those planes as much as we can, so if any of you are going to Alabama Thursday night, can I get a ride? Ill ride in the back of the truck with the air."
As Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell came out of his office Tuesday afternoon, he rubbed sanitizer on his hands, saying, "Oh, I do this all the time now."
Vice President Mike Pence gestures with Washington State Governor Jay Inslee during a press conference on March 5, 2020, at Camp Murray adjacent to Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington.
The 135th annual Gridiron Club dinner, where politicians of all stripes gather with journalists each year to poke fun at each other, was canceled.
And outside the Beltway, the Democratic candidates were cancelling big primary night rallies after doctors advised against holding and attending large gatherings.
But at the White House, any signs of social distancing weren't visible.
President Donald Trump shakes hands after presenting the Presidential Medal of Freedom to former Vice Chief of Staff of the Army Gen. Jack Keane in the East Room of the White House in Washington, March 10, 2020.
More than 100 people, many of them older, packed the East Room for a Medal of Freedom ceremony on Tuesday afternoon with the president officiating and shaking lots of hands.
And later, the White House briefing room was jammed with reporters for the daily update on the crisis.
President Donald Trump arrives with retired four-star Army General Jack Keane for a ceremony to present Keane with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in the East Room of the White House, March 10, 2020.
When Vice President Mike Pence was asked whether President Trump would stop shaking hands as the administration itself recommends on its coronavirus.gov website, he responded as Trump has before.
"In our line of work, you shake hands when someone wants to shake your hand," Pence said. "I expect the president will continue to do it. I'll continue to do it."
ABC News' Trish Turner and Jordyn Phelps contributed to this report.
- Remember These Headlines? - Highlands Current - July 5th, 2020
- Peril of face recognition tech: Facing the end of freedom, one face at a time. Supreme Court must intervene - Times of India - July 5th, 2020
- Navy Will Mothball Its First Four Littoral Combat Ships In Nine Months If Congress Lets It - The Drive - July 5th, 2020
- West Virginia Week in Review - July 4, 2020 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 5th, 2020
- Higher gas taxes, other tax increases to greet Virginians on Wednesday - The Center Square - July 5th, 2020
- Controversial school immunization bill signed into law - BerthoudSurveyor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Defunding The Police Has Traction In Dallas, But What's On The Table? - KERA News - July 5th, 2020
- Ready, set, go! Early voting starts this week - East Valley Tribune - July 5th, 2020
- NSWC Dahlgren Division mathematician wins three awards for innovation impacting high performance computing - fredericksburg.today - July 5th, 2020
- Iceland Reopening With Its Economic Freedom Largely Intact - Daily Signal - June 24th, 2020
- Tips and Murmurs: is the Collaery case about to open up? - Crikey - June 24th, 2020
- Around Town: WWII Museum offers Victory Six Swing Band July 2 - Journal Record - June 24th, 2020
- In CA: The mask argument continues; schools jump into the debate on racism and policing - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2020
- Rep. Dina Titus urges Appropriations Committee to block Trump Administration from conducting explosive nuclear testing in Nevada - KLAS - 8 News Now - June 24th, 2020
- Everything To Know About The H-1B Visa That Has Been Suspended Till The End Of 2020 - ScoopWhoop - June 24th, 2020
- White Jews fled to the suburbs. Here's why that matters today. - The Jewish News of Northern California - June 24th, 2020
- GOP members of House Foreign Affairs Committee urge Trump to reconsider US troop withdrawal from Germany - Washington Examiner - June 24th, 2020
- Two thousand march with call to defund police; Council's $4.1M order was a 'drop in the bucket' - Cambridge Day - June 24th, 2020
- Quebec To Introduce The Most Punitive Privacy Laws In Canada - With Fines Of Up To $25 Million - Privacy - Canada - Mondaq News Alerts - June 24th, 2020
- For one Iraqi refugee, Columbus finally feels like home this World Refugee Day - The Columbus Dispatch - June 20th, 2020
- Troy H. Middleton's name to be removed from LSU's main library - Greater Baton Rouge Business Report - June 20th, 2020
- 'This is amazing,' says mayor as Iowa City Council passes resolution to restructure ICPD and address other demands of the Iowa Freedom Riders - Little... - June 20th, 2020
- Salomone: Juneteenth and Today - Greenwich Free Press - June 20th, 2020
- Latest Texas news, sports, business and entertainment at 9:20 pm CDT - KBTX - June 20th, 2020
- Dear Tito: Heres where to cut tax, make grants to save SA. MUST READ! #budget - BizNews - June 20th, 2020
- Debt settlement: An effective way of reducing debt - AZ Big Media - June 13th, 2020
- Strengthening our armed forces - The Highland County Press - June 13th, 2020
- Defunding the Police Is Not Nearly Enough - New York Magazine - June 13th, 2020
- Advocates Push To "Defund The Police" While Officials Call For Reforms - WVXU - June 13th, 2020
- Burrows disappointed with sports budget cuts EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - June 13th, 2020
- Over $722,000 awarded to protect and improve Florida military installations - Florida Politics - June 13th, 2020
- Global Perspective: As US, China lock horns, Japan, others must think about ways ahead - The Mainichi - June 13th, 2020
- Golf course move on Caven Point is obscene; Honor the flag | Letters - nj.com - June 13th, 2020
- The return of the tea party | News, Sports, Jobs - Minot Daily News - June 13th, 2020
- PM Modi says command and control regime over, lets plug and play - Hindustan Times - June 13th, 2020
- June 12: She clearly does not understand what it is. Readers react to RCMP head disputing systemic racism, plus other letters to the editor - The... - June 13th, 2020
- Shame on Olmsted Falls mayor for his rant about the cost of policing George Floyd protest - cleveland.com - June 13th, 2020
- If youre surprised by how the police are acting, you dont understand US history - The Guardian - June 6th, 2020
- Opinion: The conservative path to a fairer country - National Post - June 6th, 2020
- The Movement To Defund DC Police - Washington City Paper - June 6th, 2020
- Tailoring the Socioeconomic Response to COVID-19 in Peacebuilding Contexts - UNDP - June 6th, 2020
- Nigeria In The Eyes Of The World On Freedoms - The Nigerian Voice - June 6th, 2020
- OPINION: NIGERIA IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD ON FREEDOMS - thewillnigeria - June 6th, 2020
- A Leg Up in the Search for Prosperity: Economic Freedom - Governing - June 1st, 2020
- COVID-19 reveals conflict, compassion of Kansans wrestling with threat of pandemic - Leavenworth Times - June 1st, 2020
- Rich Lowry: The return of the tea party - Salt Lake Tribune - June 1st, 2020
- To Rebuild the Economy, India Needs to Be Atmanirbhar in Ideas - The Wire - June 1st, 2020
- Beyond the doomsday machine: Reimagining economic policies and practice in a post-Covid world - Daily Maverick - June 1st, 2020
- Opinion:Buying the Third Congressional District | LAMonitor.com - Los Alamos Monitor - June 1st, 2020
- The National WWII Museum Celebrates 20 Years of Telling the Story of the American Experience in World War II - My New Orleans - June 1st, 2020
- COVID-19 and the future of world trade | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - June 1st, 2020
- CBD Sydney: Traces of loyalty in hunt for Turnbull superspreaders - Sydney Morning Herald - June 1st, 2020
- More than $250000 spent in race for Mehaffie's 106th House District seat; money mostly coming from PACs - Middletown Press and Journal - June 1st, 2020
- 'Centre Has Offered Nothing Against Jobs Lost By Informal Workers, Circular Migrants' | - IndiaSpend - June 1st, 2020
- The world in front of the mirror - Explica - June 1st, 2020
- Violation of service code - The Tribune India - May 11th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor 5-10-2020: Pannebecker rebuttals - The Macomb Daily - May 11th, 2020
- Godfrey calls on Washington to immediately approve more stimulus - Patch.com - May 11th, 2020
- Are you left-wing or right-wing? Probably both. The Oxford Student - Oxford Student - May 11th, 2020
- For the Europe of tomorrow - EuroScientist - May 11th, 2020
- Framework for the Management of COVID-19 Funds in Nigeria under the Treasury Single Account - Proshare Nigeria Limited - May 11th, 2020
- Nikes Air Jordan 1 Has Entered the Influencer Age - The Ringer - May 11th, 2020
- Shaw warns that Freedom Mobile isn't adding as many customers as planned due to COVID-19 - CBC.ca - April 11th, 2020
- Clarification of UCSC policy and expectations on funding researchers during the temporary cessation of non-essential on-campus research due to... - April 11th, 2020
- MI Governor Leads the Way with Water Reconnection Order - Natural Resources Defense Council - April 11th, 2020
- How S.C. lawmakers increase their odds of staying in power - The Nerve - March 26th, 2020
- MTS Awarded Seismic Simulation Project Valued At Over $70 Million For China's National Facility For Earthquake Engineering Simulation At Tianjin... - March 26th, 2020
- Letters to the editor, March 26, 2020 | Opinion - Idaho Press-Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- Junk rating this week may be least of SA's problems - Fin24 - March 26th, 2020
- Junk rating likely the least of South Africas problems - BusinessTech - March 26th, 2020
- Brexiteer claims coronavirus could spell end of eurozone but there's a catch - Express.co.uk - March 26th, 2020
- Statement of the Hellenic Chapter of Republicans Overseas- Abroad on Greek Independence Day - The National Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Governor calls for stronger collaboration with Kilili - Marianas Variety - March 26th, 2020
- Will the market stabilise in the second half of 2020, what experts say? - Kalkine Media - March 26th, 2020
- A pandemic, an economic blow and the big fix - The Hindu - March 24th, 2020
- 12:28 Heritage Foundation: Armenia needs to improve judicial effectiveness to have freer economy - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - March 24th, 2020
- D4 Billion Debt Repayment in the face of a Pandemic - Freedom Newspaper - March 24th, 2020
- Why the Navy's F/A-18 Super Hornet Is Still One Dangerous Fighter - The National Interest - March 24th, 2020
- Opinion | The world should be wary of smoking the China pipe again - Livemint - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus has shattered the myth that the economy must come first - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020