Data-Driven Thinking is written by members of the media community and contains fresh ideas on the digital revolution in media.
Todays column is written by Eric Picard, chief product officer at Yieldmo.
Theres a revolution happening in digital media, primarily driven by a new focus on privacy. Major players at the core of the digital ecosystem have decided that privacy is a core value, and have made fundamental changes that block many standard practices. This change is going to upend the industry as we know it, and offers huge opportunities for anyone in the right position to take advantage of it.
Lets work our way from where weve been to where we are, and then talk about where were going.
Wave 1: In the beginning (1996-1998)
The first wave of ad tech was about establishing scalable ways to operate the digital advertising business. Someone had to figure out how to sell ads in advance of the campaign running, how to implement and operate campaigns, how to track delivery and how to bill customers. We saw the rise of ad servers, the creation of sales and ad operations tools and workflows and the invention of buy-side ad serving. And we saw significant growth.
Wave 2: Formats, Targeting, Tracking, Attribution 1.0 (1999-2001)
After the basics got sorted, we saw innovative work in rich media ad formats (things like interactive ads, video, audio, visual effects, over-the-page, expanding ads, etc.). My first startup, Bluestreak, developed many of these formats. Across the industry we saw significant innovation in targeting of ads. (User behavior was tracked and turned into audience segments, which could be sold.) And a new attribution discipline emerged to measure what happened after a person saw or clicked on an ad.
Wave 3: Remnant Monetization, Multi-Touch Attribution, Yield Optimization (2002-2006)
When the "dot-com" bubble burst in 2001, the average CPM of display ad inventory dropped from about $25 to about $0.50 in the course of a year. All the peripheral ad tech companies that had been charging ad-on fees for rich media and targeting began to struggle that is, until they eventually realized they could sell directly to publishers as a way to drive yield. In the hunt for revenue at any cost, and as vast numbers of smart sales people got laid off, someone figured out that secondary and even tertiary ad marketplaces could be used to monetize every single impression at some price. This model was in some ways a mistake, because it further devalued inventory, which was already under price pressure. It took a long time for this wave to end, and in some ways it still hasn't ended.
On the buy side, advertisers began to realize that last touch attribution was obscuring the real drivers of conversions, falsely rewarding some channels, specifically paid search. Sadly, some advertisers still use last-touch models.
Wave 4: The rise of programmatic (2007-2014)
A few really smart people realized that remnant marketplaces were evolving similarly to commodities and securities marketplaces. And they began building auction-based exchanges that sold inventory in much the same way paid search was sold.
This wave was incredibly powerful and it supercharged the industry. As we saw with the evolution of electronic exchanges in securities, the market moved away from daisy-chained tag-based auctions to real-time bidding (RTB). This extensible infrastructure also led to opportunities for nefarious actors to make money by fraudulently selling fake ads, defrauding advertisers and publishers of billions of dollars over many years. And a massive investment in the data infrastructure has led in many ways to a surveillance state that allows almost any company to track peoples behavior across the entire internet and build targeting segments that can be used to buy them as advertising.
Wave 5: Privileged Programmatic and Fraud Cleanup (2015-2020)
As it matured, programmatic advertising continued to walk in the footsteps of the securities exchanges. The largest ad buyers and sellers began to recreate privileged relationships inside the new RTB infrastructure. Examples include PMPs, first look mechanisms like header bidding and Prebid. It is now possible (but will take a while) to completely recreate all the ways ads have been sold historically on top of RTB infrastructure, but the eventual result will be a much more scalable and automated way of doing business.
Similarly, the massive and hidden problem of fraud was uncovered, and measures were taken to root it out. Industry efforts like Ads.txt and Sellers.json, and whole new companies and technologies for fraud detection and prevention, has set the industry on a path to solving this crisis. The result: a massive maturation of the ecosystem.
Wave 6: Privacy - Centric Advertising, New Format Innovation and Supply-Chain Optimization
Meanwhile the surveillance state weve found ourselves in has led to a huge backlash against third-party tracking that is upending the ecosystem again.
Over the last few years we've seen major initiatives by the technology industry to establish and enforce new privacy controls across all media. This trend is accelerating and broadening, and many of the mechanisms we've taken for granted in online advertising have been ruled privacy-unsafe, and are being phased out. Many companies in the space have doubled down on a commitment to these older tracking approaches, and are trying to find a path through that perpetuates them. I will hazard a prediction that this is not going to work.
The time is coming to an end when companies with no relationship to the consumer can track those consumers behavior across the internet and then sell that data. This evolution will strengthen companies that do have a direct (i.e. first party) consumer relationship, such as advertisers and publishers. It also is helping the largest incumbents like Facebook and Google, who have immense amounts of first-party data.
Technology providers will need to find ways to evolve their offerings such that they support the direct consumer relationships held by the advertiser and/or the publisher. This will mean in many cases either a completely new approach, or a set of innovations in how technology is integrated with the first-party companies' infrastructure. The great thing about disruption is that it leads to new innovations.
Because the third-party data and tracking infrastructure is becoming less valuable, new ways to increase the value of ad opportunities will come to the foreground. Format innovation is back in the mix as a way to increase the value of inventory without breaching privacy protections. And the next wave of supply cleanup, after the war over fraud, will ensure supply chains are clean and optimized, with low-value suppliers shuffled out of existence.
Supply-chain optimization has been emerging as a focus area since around 2014, but now is becoming mainstream. The first round of supply-chain optimization was 'brute force' and ugly, but we're now seeing intelligent and powerful supply-chain optimization enter the market, as well as industry initiatives like Sellers.json. These new technologies, initiatives and approaches are driving advertiser value and publisher yield significantly.
- Techlash continues to batter technology sector - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2021
- CodeCrew students honored for their work in the technology field - WREG NewsChannel 3 - April 2nd, 2021
- Technology And The Future Of Work In Finance: A Q&A With Paychexs CFO - Forbes - April 2nd, 2021
- Options Technology Announces Acquisition of Fixnetix from DXC Technology - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Wireless Gigabit Market with COVID-19 impact by Product, Technology, Protocol, End-use and Geography - Global Forecast to 2026 - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Europe's chance to lead the green technology race - Financial Times - April 2nd, 2021
- We need to strengthen and accelerate US science and technology progress | TheHill - The Hill - April 2nd, 2021
- Beauty filters are changing the way young girls see themselves - MIT Technology Review - April 2nd, 2021
- Silicon Valley startup invents 'groundbreaking' new technology that could change the way we travel - Greater Greater Washington - April 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Has Forced an Evolution of Campus Safety Technology - Campus Safety - Campus Safety Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Revolutionary Technology Upgrades to the School of Music - The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - April 2nd, 2021
- TerraLithium Receives Affirmation of Patents for Foundational Lithium Production Processes and Technologies - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Align Technology to Announce First Quarter 2021 Results on April 28, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: J&J, Emergent BioSolutions, Micron Technology & more - CNBC - April 2nd, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Honeywell To Provide Critical Navigation And Sensor Technology For Pipistrel's Unmanned Cargo Aircraft - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Vellore Institute of Technology team electrifies houses in rural Karnataka - The Hindu - April 2nd, 2021
- Aerospace Robotics Market Research Report by Type, by Technology, by Operation - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2021
- NASA invests in small business projects to advance technology - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Why 3 Analysts Think Micron Technology Stock Is An Attractive Choice - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- How Unity Is Helping Creators Around The World Use Technology To Imagine A Better Future - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Wall Street dips, with technology the biggest drag - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- Technology helps family stay connected to 93-year-old grandfather - NEWS10 ABC - March 31st, 2021
- 'Big Storage' Is the Next Big Technology in the Climate Fight - Bloomberg - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Facial Skin Ablative Treatment Industry - by Technology, Application and Demography - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- The science and technology that can help save the ocean - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- DJO Invests in Next-Generation Augmented Reality Technology Primed for ASC Market Growth - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- InMobi Dominates MMA SMARTIES MENA 2020 with 15 Awards Including Technology Enabler of the Year and Best in Show - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Healthcare Technology Innovator SSG Rolls Out Digital Platforms to Accelerate the Fight Against COVID-19 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Juniper Research Named as Top Three Most Influential Analyst House Globally by Telco Technology Buyers - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- A Technology Partner Can Help Midsize Businesses Accelerate Digital Transformation - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM DELL TECHNOLOGIES AND INTEL - Harvard... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Automotive Antifreeze Market (2020 to 2027) - by Fluid Type, Technology, Application and Distribution Channel - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- Investment Opportunities of Big Data Technology in China - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- 5 Emerging IoT Technologies You Need To Know In 2021 - CRN - March 31st, 2021
- Successive Technologies and Strapi Announces Strategic Partnership - PR Newswire India - March 31st, 2021
- Spotify Technology S.A. to Announce Financial Results for First Quarter 2021 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Technology, agriculture's friend for the sustainable farms of the future - Euronews - March 31st, 2021
- House panel offers its plan to double NSF budget and create technology directorate - Science Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Building customer relationships with conversational AI - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- TPConnects, the Technology Provider, Announces That Eastern Airlines is Investing in New Distribution Capabilities With IATA's NDC Level 4... - March 31st, 2021
- MetroWest towns and cities working together to offer clean energy technology - MetroWest Daily News - March 31st, 2021
- Vietnam's CamLy Group Founder introduces innovative technology to the global market, adding to her inspirational businesses ventures - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Aircraft Maintenance Tooling Industry to 2027 - Featuring Farwest Aircraft, Inspection Technologies and Red Box Aviation Among Others -... - March 31st, 2021
- Black graduates 'shut out' of academic science and technology careers - The Guardian - March 29th, 2021
- Global Cloud-based Data Lake Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 | Top Companies Analysis- Amazon Web... - March 29th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Launch of Information Technology Optimization Process Within State Government - CT.gov - March 18th, 2021
- Retalon Announces Breakthrough Application of Deep Learning Technology in Business Specific Predictive Analytics - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- MIT Technology Review Announces EmTech Next 2021 Virtual Conference, June 8-10, hosted in partnership with Harvard Business Review - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- DOD Working With Norway to Develop High-Speed Propulsion Technologies - Department of Defense - March 18th, 2021
- Is Amkor Technology (AMKR) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- Citizens of the Week: Teens Teach Technology - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Seniors receiving free virtual coaching on learning how to use technology - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 18th, 2021
- FinFet Technology Market is Anticipated to Touch USD 268.66 Million by 2025 Growing at 40.3% CAGR | Market Research Future (MRFR) - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- This BYU facial recognition technology is designed with hackers and accessibility in mind - KSL.com - March 18th, 2021
- Technology IPOs A Meeting of Cultures at the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Transplace Expands Logistics Technology Platform to Europe with its Newest Technology Release and the Opening of an Office in the Netherlands -... - March 18th, 2021
- Quanterix' Simoa Technology Accelerates Critical Plasma Biomarker Research Presented at the 15th International Conference on Parkinson's &... - March 18th, 2021
- Outsourcing Marketing Technology Support To Boost Efficiency and Profits - Part 2 - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Leveraging AI/NLP technology to reduce health inequities and improve patient outcomes - MedCity News - March 18th, 2021
- Bob Bain Productions and Berlin Entertainment Choose TVU Networks' Technology for Seamless, Virtual Production of the 26th Annual Critics Choice... - March 18th, 2021
- First American Data & Analytics Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Both Mortgage and Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine -... - March 18th, 2021
- Hearing aid makers tackle the technology's 'number one problem' with AI - STAT - March 18th, 2021
- Interstellar disc that blasted by Earth was not alien technology. Heres what it was. - Mahoning Matters - March 18th, 2021
- Dicapta Corporation Accessibility Technology Makes It Possible For DeafBlind Individuals To Watch An Oscar-Nominated Film About Themselves For The... - March 18th, 2021
- Centerville police to crack down on speeding with help from new technology - WHIO Radio - March 18th, 2021
- How Mason City Schools Is Using Technology To Monitor Students' Mental Health - WVXU - March 18th, 2021
- Texas Medical Technology Launches Its Smart iNitrile Device for Putting on Sterile Gloves Easily, Safely, and Automatically - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Insights on the Environmental Remediation Technologies Global Markets to 2025 - by Technology and Industry Application - Yahoo Finance UK - March 18th, 2021
- How HCCC's upgrades will help ensure health of everyone on campus - The Times Telegram - March 18th, 2021
- DataTrace Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- SoftServe Wins Best Technology Response at the GSA Professional Awards 2020 - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Nokia Technology To Be Integrated Across AWS, Google And Microsoft Platforms - Yahoo Tech - March 18th, 2021
- Securus Technologies Provides 40 Million Free Phone Calls to Incarcerated Americans Through First Year of COVID-19 Assistance - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- Global Automatic Optical Inspection Market- GPEL Electronic GmbH, Koh Young Technology Inc., Mek Europe BV, Among Others to Contribute to the Market... - March 18th, 2021
- LOral technology incubators Guive Balooch on marrying beauty and tech - Glossy - March 11th, 2021
- Clevertouch by Boxlight Helps to Refresh Technology for The British Academy - Yahoo Finance - March 11th, 2021
- How technology helped Houston fight against the pandemic - InnovationMap - March 11th, 2021
- Global Indoor Farming Technology Markets, 2020-2021 & 2026 - Opportunities in the Development of Innovative and Cost-Effective Technologies &... - March 11th, 2021