A group of high-tech business owners joined Montana Sen. Jon Tester on Thursday at the Bozeman Public Library to discuss how the state could continue to attract and retain high-paying jobs for the state.
The forum, Tester said, was to hear from the technology community about issues important to them. The senator sat alongside a panel of four business owners in the Gallatin County area and heard from each of them before taking questions from the audience.
To the folks out there doing, I want to say thank you, he said.
The panel included Stan Abel, chief executive officer of SiteOne Therapeutics; Bill Stoddard, founder of NorthFork Financial; Pat LaPointe, managing director for Frontier Angels; and Ali Knapp, president at Wisetail. The four presented what their companies do and offered their suggestions on improving the business climate to the senator.
Traditional tech-hubs like San Francisco, San Diego and Cambridge, Massachusetts, are getting crowded and extremely expensive, Abel said. The time to try to attract more businesses in Montana is ideal, he said.
All our competitor states are recognizing this opportunity that there are people that want to get out of those major tech-hubs, Abel said. South Dakota, North Dakota, Utah, Texas, Nevada I mean, theyre all offering aggressive incentives to leave those states and put their business there.
Knapp said the state should extend STEM science, technology, engineering and mathematic programs across the state to rural areas. Montana is really great at having the programs in Bozeman and Missoula, she said, but in rural areas these programs are lacking or dont exist.
She also said that public lands were a big recruiting tool for companies and should be protected.
This has been a huge advantage for us, and its something that we just need to keep in mind to continue recruiting methods, she said.
Other suggestions included upgrading infrastructure, providing more opportunities to seek start-up funding, mental health services in rural areas and bridging the gap to rural parts of the state.
Lance Trebesch, CEO of Ticket River in Harlowton, said that rural Montana is in decline. The company is the biggest employer in its county and aims to employ people from Harlowton, he said.
But its tough, Trebesch said. And its tough because the education. The schools in these rural places, and you know this very well, are not getting enough funding.
Tester praised Trebesch for establishing a business in a rural area like his hometown. He acknowledge that rural school systems need to have better opportunities for kids.
Its a fundamental building block for economic development, Tester said. If you dont have a good K-12 system, no families are going to move there.
The discussion was centered on improving the business climate in the state, but the senator also took the opportunity to talk about the opioid problem in the state. Tester directed his attention to Abel and the companys pursuit of non-opioid and non-narcotic pain medication.
The drug and opioid problem is a social catastrophe happening right now, Tester said. The senator asked Abel if there was anything at the federal level that can be done to help speed up a eight-to-10-year process in developing the non-opioid pain medication.
Its going to take all of us to combat this problem, but it will take us some time, Abel said.
- 16 Predictions on the Future of Technology - Barron's - October 24th, 2019
- Technology Investment Must Go Beyond Single Use Cases - Government Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Samsung Showcases Its Latest Silicon Technologies for the Next Wave of Innovation at Annual Tech Day - Samsung Newsroom - October 24th, 2019
- We Could Go to Venus with Today's Technology, Scientists Say - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- We Have the Tools and Technology to Work Less and Live Better - Singularity Hub - October 24th, 2019
- Why the World of WATCHMEN Rejected Technology - Nerdist - October 24th, 2019
- Electron Beam Technology researched at Texas A&M - KBTX - October 24th, 2019
- The most in-demand technologies for IT professionals - TechRepublic - October 24th, 2019
- Toledo Technology 5k to support battered women - 13abc Action News - October 24th, 2019
- Technology may make umpires a job of the past - New York Post - October 24th, 2019
- Broadway in Bed: Technology Is Remaking How We See the Ancient Art of Theater - NBC New York - October 24th, 2019
- BP to test technology to recycle plastic bottles again and again - Reuters - October 24th, 2019
- The Antique Technology Still Taking the Ocean's Pulse - Hakai Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- Twitter shares slump as revenues dip and costs rise - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Caregiving Online Technology and Dementia: How to Keep Your Loved Ones Safe More families face dilemmas - Next Avenue - October 24th, 2019
- Looking back at the future of warfare - MIT Technology Review - October 24th, 2019
- Geospatial peacekeeping: How soldiers and technology can help fight poverty - Brookings Institution - October 24th, 2019
- How India's farmers are using technology to feed more than a billion people - CNN - October 24th, 2019
- 10 Technologies From Black Mirror That Have Already Been Invented - Screen Rant - October 24th, 2019
- Rayvolt's X One Redefines The E-Bike Category With 21st Century Technologies - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Space Companies Are Investing Big in 5G Technology - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- Sign of the times: Can hugging machines solve the touch crisis? - Big Think - October 24th, 2019
- HP Calls Out the Many Ways Technology Has Stripped Our Lives of Authenticity - Adweek - October 24th, 2019
- Our fears will be realised if we become afraid of technology - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Gimbal technology and the endless push for innovation - Screen Africa - October 24th, 2019
- What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet? - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- The Benefits Of Applying Blockchain Technology In Any Industry - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Live Caption, Googles automatic captioning technology, is now available on Pixel 4 - TechCrunch - October 16th, 2019
- Drones, apps and smart lockers: The technology transforming healthcare in Africa - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Mind-reading technology is everyone's next big security nightmare - ZDNet - October 16th, 2019
- The 7 Biggest Technology Trends That Will Transform Telecoms In 2020 - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Role Of Technology In The Evolution Of Communication - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Revolutionary Impact Of Immersive Technology On Education - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Super-Resolution Imaging Technologies in Life Science | 2019-2024 Technology Highlights and Market Outlook - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schools should take the occasional break from technology - here's why - Study International News - October 16th, 2019
- Finding a balance between security and responsive technology - ITProPortal - October 16th, 2019
- NBN chief blames Australia's poor speed rating on 'unrepresentative' data - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- 5 smart home technology trends to keep your eye on in 2019 - Silicon Canals - October 16th, 2019
- Technology has changed the world, the world has changed technology - The Upcoming - October 16th, 2019
- Technology sparks dramatic rise in scams reported to the Lincoln Police Dept. - 1011now - October 16th, 2019
- Technology is redefining that client-financial advisor relationship - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- APPIX Officially Launches Incredible Broadcast Technology That Creates Immersive Experiences And Audience Engagement At Concerts And Events - MarTech... - October 16th, 2019
- Gathr Lab Launches New Technology Set to Break the Black-Box Approach and Empower Marketers to Understand, Reach and Grow Their Audiences - Business... - October 16th, 2019
- Integrating the Science of How We Learn into Education Technology - Harvard Business Review - October 16th, 2019
- Google And Levis Partner Up To Bring Us Wearable Technology - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- UK vulnerable to malicious meddling in election, warns study - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Food Science and Technology job with BNU-HKBU UNITED INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | 183631 - Times... - October 16th, 2019
- Digital welfare state: big tech allowed to target and surveil the poor, UN is warned - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- South Korean startups gather momentum - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Technology killing off corporate America: Average life span of companies under 20 years - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Automated technology isn't going anywhere and it's changing ... - USA TODAY - August 25th, 2017
- AMD Technology Falls Short... Really? - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2017
- Morgan Stanley: This next big technology trend could start the 'fourth industrial revolution' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Mortgage technology provider Blend raised another $100 million led by Greylock - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Philips to build health technology center in Tennessee - ABC News - August 25th, 2017
- Melinda Gates: I spent my career in technology. I wasn't prepared for ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Information technology can help build peace. This is how. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Is Set to Disrupt Every Industry--and Music Is Next - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Campus police using technology to solve and prevent crimes - The Rolla Daily News - August 22nd, 2017
- 3 ways blockchain technology will change how we game - VentureBeat - August 20th, 2017
- Kenyan Girls Use Technology to Combat Genital Cutting - Voice of America - August 20th, 2017
- Taking a stand on Charlottesville, technology companies seek balance with free speech - The Independent - August 20th, 2017
- Technology and the New Republic just never seemed to click - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Arizona edges to front of states eyeing blockchain technology - Arizona Daily Star - August 18th, 2017
- How technology is about to transform the way we save cash forever - Telegraph.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- 5 Questions: Is your child addicted to technology? - Philly.com - August 18th, 2017
- Opinion: This technology shift opens up new possibilities for iPhones, Androids and virtual reality - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- The glow of technology has a dark side - Houston Chronicle - August 16th, 2017
- How Technology is Now Empowering Educators - Inc.com - August 15th, 2017
- How Technology Might Get Out of Control - Bloomberg - August 15th, 2017
- Trump administration goes after China over intellectual property, advanced technology - Washington Post - August 15th, 2017
- Building technology in Oklahoma, shipping all over the world - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- OKC startup pioneers technology that prevents accidental IV disconnects for hospital patients - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- Modernizing Government Technology Act to get second path to passage in Senate NDAA - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 14th, 2017
- ASCAP Names Tristan Boutros Chief Technology Officer - Variety - August 14th, 2017
- This Technology Could Stop the World's Deadliest Animal - Mother Jones - August 14th, 2017
- Technology Speeds Up Timeline on Quarterly Close - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Trump Administration to Begin Probe of Alleged Chinese Technology Theft - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- 'Blockchain technology will change the world': Fidelity Labs SVP - CNBC - August 13th, 2017
- Victoria Teo, Technology Field, Sustainability, and the Roman Goddess - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 13th, 2017