LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Scammers call on the phone, send text messages and even track people down on social media.
It's annoying to most, but for those who fall victim scammers cause more than a headache.
For Arthur Lindsay, it started with a text message.
"Offering me an opportunity to advertise Haagen Daz ice cream with a decal on his car," Lindsay said.
Lindsay told 10/11 NOW he had been looking for some extra money, so he signed up.
The scammer sent him a check, which he deposited into his bank account.
"I asked the clerk, is this check real and she said it was," Lindsay said.
The money even showed up in his account, so at the scammer's request, he sent more than $900 of his own money to the scammer.
Then a few days later, the check bounced.
"The first thing is you feel so stupid, I thought I had protected myself," Lindsay said.
Stories like this, don't come as a surprise to Lincoln Police.
"We could work those probably every day, there are so many we get overwhelmed," Sgt. Steven Wiese with LPD's technical investigations unit said.
In 2018, 1,958 frauds were reported to police. In the last 20 years, that number has increase 122 percent. Meanwhile, forgeries have dropped significantly. In 2018 about a seventh of the number of forgeries were reported as were reported in 1998.
LPD's crime analyst, Jeff Peterson, said it all comes down to technology.
"People just don't write checks anymore," Peterson said. "Everybody has access to the internet and you have people who will abuse the internet and take advantage of mistakes that others make on the internet."
Messages like Lindsay got, phone calls threatening people with arrest warrants and romance scams are among the most common frauds the department sees. They're also the most difficult to solve.
"By and large, these individuals are overseas," Wiese said. "They've used that as a safety net because they know their country may not cooperate with law enforcement in the United States."The best thing you can do is prevent yourself from falling victim.
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't," Lindsay said.
If you've been the victim of a fraud, forgery or scam, call police at 402-441-6000. You can also reach out to the Nebraska Attorney General's Office at the following website: https://protectthegoodlife.nebraska.gov/ or call their mediation center between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.: (800) 727-6432 (toll-free)
Read the rest here:
- MIT Technology Review - January 27th, 2020
- Technology : NPR - January 27th, 2020
- A Storm Is Brewing In The Technology Sector - Traders Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- Four Acronyms That Spell Technology Disruption - Forbes - January 27th, 2020
- Ulrich spring exhibition explores the pros and cons of technology - Wichita State Sunflower - January 27th, 2020
- Ask the Builder: Plumbing technology has come a long way - The Spokesman-Review - January 27th, 2020
- Edwards sees both sides of technology - The Cross Timbers Gazette - January 27th, 2020
- New technology transforms the beauty industry - Fort Wayne's NBC - January 27th, 2020
- How This Father-And-Son Team Invented St. Louis' Latest Smart Technology - St. Louis Public Radio - January 27th, 2020
- New sanitary technology is available in WNC | Business - The Mountaineer - January 27th, 2020
- Rules have to catch up with technology - Examiner Enterprise - January 27th, 2020
- Goodyear to launch bicycle tires with graphene technology - Graphene-Info - January 27th, 2020
- The Week In Technology, Jan. 27-31, 2020 - Aviation Week - January 27th, 2020
- Met police to begin using live facial recognition cameras in London - The Guardian - January 27th, 2020
- Unique Toronto law firm to focus on responsible use of AI technology - The Globe and Mail - January 27th, 2020
- Do You Know What Lin Horn Technology Co., Ltd.s (GTSM:5464) P/E Ratio Means? - Simply Wall St - January 27th, 2020
- RCCI to organise Smart Technology Exhibition on Feb 3 - The Nation - January 27th, 2020
- Executive Column: We go beyond main cities in Indonesia: Here Technologies - Jakarta Post - January 27th, 2020
- How a Japanese Biotech Company Is Innovating Drug Development Technologies - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN - Harvard Business Review - January 27th, 2020
- Technology allows us to appreciate Liverpool and Stokes winning in style - The Guardian - January 27th, 2020
- More Americans say they're lonely blame work and technology - WDEF News 12 - January 27th, 2020
- 'Technology will eat up everything ahead' - Emerging Europe - January 27th, 2020
- The Evolution of Bitcoin's Technology Stack - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- The Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering is accepting applications - WHNT News 19 - January 22nd, 2020
- Why technology could be the key to powering the teachers of tomorrow - Techradar - January 22nd, 2020
- 5 ways technology will reshape the workforce in 2020 - ZDNet - January 22nd, 2020
- FIS Commits to Cincinnati as a Strategic Technology and Innovation Campus - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- How Technology Saved Chinas Economy - The New York Times - January 22nd, 2020
- Kiwi automated checkout start-up IMAGR announces backing from global technology heavy-weight - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Ultra-thin materials are poised to transform technology - Archinect - January 22nd, 2020
- BigID Introduces New Discovery-in-Depth Technology to Give Organizations Unmatched Data Intelligence for Privacy, Protection and Perspective -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Momo (MOMO) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Whats the newest reason for your delayed PATH train? Blame technology. - NJ.com - January 22nd, 2020
- In Los Angeles, the Womens March embraces technology to organize and inspire - TechCrunch - January 22nd, 2020
- Technology isn't shaping work the way we think - Policy Options - January 22nd, 2020
- Sabre announces plans with Accor to create the first unified technology platform for the global hospitality industry - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- This Software Technology Firm is Reshaping the Asset Management Industry - Entrepreneur - January 22nd, 2020
- 'Frozen' Wardrobe Takes Technology, Math To Hit The Stage Every Night - CBS Los Angeles - January 22nd, 2020
- Which technology injects the most value into the insurance supply chain? - Insurance Business New Zealand - January 22nd, 2020
- Davos 2020: technology's opportunity in a cohesive and sustainable world - Information Age - January 22nd, 2020
- Antenna Technologies for IoT Applications, 2019 Report - The Antenna Start-up Ecosystem Has Adopted Unique Techniques to Comply With Existing &... - January 22nd, 2020
- Keysight Technologies Wins 2020 BIG Innovation Award - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Electric drive technology to see boost from GKN and Delta Electronics - Automotive Testing Technology International - January 22nd, 2020
- MAN Cryo to supply icebreaking RoRos with technology - gasworld - January 22nd, 2020
- Google wants its users to find a better balance with technology - Ghacks Technology News - January 22nd, 2020
- To Survive Disruption, Build a Digital Technology Foundation - Which-50 - January 22nd, 2020
- Harry Potter: 10 Ways Technology Would Change The Series If I Was Set Today - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2020
- Millions of Android phones in India to get this ISRO technology - Hindustan Times - January 22nd, 2020
- Which technology brings the most value to the insurance supply chain? - Insurance Business Australia - January 22nd, 2020
- 5G: India will no longer be behind technology curve, says Trai Chief - Economic Times - January 22nd, 2020
- The Rise And Fall Of The Technology Companies - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Understanding the ethics behind use of HR technology - Human Resource Executive - December 13th, 2019
- Konka Group, A China TV Technology Powerhouse, Announces Brand Expansion Into The United States And Canada - PRNewswire - December 13th, 2019
- These Are The Technologies That Will Transform The 2020s - From 5G To Vertical Farming - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- The State and Technological Revolution | by Benedict Macon-Cooney - Project Syndicate - December 13th, 2019
- The AI community needs to take responsibility for its technology and its actions - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- 4 Stocks to Play the Way Technology Is Changing Everything About Finance - Barron's - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Advancements to Discover How Technology is Altering our World - PR Web - December 13th, 2019
- How to Organize Your Life With the Help of Technology - Entrepreneur - December 13th, 2019
- Mambu taps into card processing technology with Marqeta partnership - IBS Intelligence - December 13th, 2019
- What Can the Police Tell From Your Digital Activities? - Technology Networks - December 13th, 2019
- Where are we in the information technology revolution? - Furniture Today - December 13th, 2019
- CES 2020: Bosch presents intelligent technology that is Invented for life - Automotive World - December 13th, 2019
- Secure Technology Alliance Announces New TWIC Security Training and Certification Program - HSToday - December 13th, 2019
- As battery technology charges forward, the transport industry is benefitting from real change - EuropeanCEO - December 13th, 2019
- Growing Cleveland's start-up culture could come from new technology and a new place to work - News 5 Cleveland - December 13th, 2019
- Emotion recognition technology should be banned, says an AI research institute - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- Indian IT companies deploy hitech technologies at home and abroad - Economic Times - December 13th, 2019
- Mmmm... fresh, delicious tenders: Forget G-Cloud, this 6.5bn Technology Products and Associated Services framework is where it's at - The Register - December 13th, 2019
- Technology To Make Healthcare More Effective, Indian Rep Tells UN - Inc42 Media - December 13th, 2019
- Scientists at School of Mines and Technology create a tool that drastically lowers medication prices - Kotatv - December 13th, 2019
- Port Authority To Look Into Technology That Could Save Bridge And Tunnel Carpool Discount - CBS New York - December 13th, 2019
- Universities at the forefront of technological innovation - Study International News - December 13th, 2019
- Heilind Asia Wins the 6th China IoT Technology Innovation Award - Business Wire - December 13th, 2019
- New Jersey Self-driving technology will be tested on some NJ buses Greg Mocker 7:31 - WPIX 11 New York - December 13th, 2019
- What does it take for teachers to make smart use of technology in classrooms? - The Dallas Morning News - December 13th, 2019
- Academics and 'The Intelligence Trap' | Technology and Learning - Inside Higher Ed - December 13th, 2019
- From AR to AI: The emerging technologies marketers can explore to enable and disrupt - Marketing Tech - December 13th, 2019
- Inflation-target renewal, impact of technology highlight Bank of Canada's 2020 work plan, Governor Poloz says - Bank of Canada - December 13th, 2019
- How Technology Is Transforming Executive Coaching - Harvard Business Review - December 1st, 2019