There are growing calls for an investigation into the Liberal Party's and Premier Peter Gutwein's handling of allegations surrounding Braddon candidate Adam Brooks, with the Tasmanian Greens confirming they would refer the matter to the state's integrity commission.
Just an hour before declaring the polls on Friday, Mr Gutwein announced Mr Brooks would not take up his seat in the state's house of assembly after being charged by Queensland police with being in possession of a handgun, unauthorised explosives and false driver's licences.
Mr Brooks is in Queensland, where he has been bailed to appear in court after he was visitedby police on Wednesday.
He has said he will seek legal advice and would defend himself against the charges, and is seeking mental health treatment.
Mr Brooks had also been facing allegations that he misled two women he dated online, which he has denied.
Last month, Tasmania Police said theyintended to charge Mr Brooks with an ammunition storage offence, an allegation he will also defend.
ABC News: Luke Bowden
Greens leader Cassy O'Connor said her party would refer the Adam Brooks case to the Integrity Commission for investigation.
"Exactly what was known about Mr Brooks' alleged conduct ahead of, during, and in the days after the election needs to be investigated," Ms O'Connor said.
"There are very real concerns about whether he was a fit and proper person to be standing for Parliament. What did the Premier know and when?
"Tasmanian voters did not have the full picture on Election Day. They still don't today."
ABC News: Laura Beavis
Labor's Michelle O'Byrne said it was an 'appalling fiasco' that must be externally investigated.
"Peter Gutwein must come clean and explain exactly what he knew about the allegations and when he first found out and why he chooses to believe Mr Brooks," Ms O'Byrne said.
"This goes straight to the credibility and nature of Peter Gutwein as leader. He has shown that he is prepared to accept anything to use Adam Brooks his money and his votes to win government."
Independent Nelson MLC Meg Webb said the Liberal Party and Mr Gutwein were "squarely in the hotseat" over the handling of the matter.
"Either their preselection processes are so inadequate that blatant red flags were missed, or they were fully aware of the existing issues associated with Mr Brooks and put him forward as an endorsed Liberal candidate anyway to garner electoral advantage," Ms Webbsaid.
"Incompetence or cynical political self-interest which was it?
"It's all very well to say it was up to the voters of Braddon to make an assessment of Mr Brooks, but it was his preselection by the Liberal Party that put the voters in that position.
"Is the Premier telling Tasmanians that when it comes to future Liberal party endorsed candidates it's a case of 'buyer beware'? That's simply not good enough."
Independent Murchison MLC Ruth Forrest, whose electorate covers much of the Braddon area, said Mr Gutwein needed to explain what he knew about the allegations and what inquiries he made into them during the campaign.
Ms Forrest said the Premier needed to implement a process to ensure a similar situation did not occur in future.
She said the likely delay in the return to parliament, caused by the need for a recount to fill Mr Brooks' seat, would further push back much-needed scrutiny of the government, as well as the work of important parliamentary committees that have been put on pause.
When asked for a response, one of the Premier's advisors pointed to comments made on Friday morning, in which Mr Gutweinsaid that he was first made aware of the Queensland charges by Mr Brooks in a phone call on Thursday evening.
- RIT's College of Liberal Arts, NTID Performing Arts announce 2021-2022 theatrical season | National Technical Institute for the Deaf | RIT - RIT News - June 9th, 2021
- The Groupthink That Produced the Lab-Leak Failure Should Scare Liberals - New York Magazine - June 9th, 2021
- New Liberals registration approved despite Liberal party objection over voter confusion - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Liberal Party triggers 'electoral urgency' clause to speed up nominating candidates - CBC.ca - June 9th, 2021
- Liberals team up with Bloc to limit debate on controversial Bill C-10 - National Post - June 9th, 2021
- Reality bites Liberals and crime spikes - The Economist - June 9th, 2021
- Heres how a Liberal Arts degree from NMIMS can open a world of lucrative career prospects - Times of India - June 9th, 2021
- Fifty years of Martyn Turner cartoons: I have always been a liberal bigot - The Irish Times - June 9th, 2021
- CNN mocked over reporting study conservatives more likely than liberals to believe misleading news reports - Fox News - June 9th, 2021
- It Is Only In This Country That Things Are Very Liberal Where Health Is Concerned: Supreme Court - Live Law - Indian Legal News - June 9th, 2021
- Trudeaus Liberals promised to end the blood ban. Now they say its complicated. - 660 News - June 9th, 2021
- LETTER | Let's have a more liberal, open-minded university education - Malaysiakini - June 9th, 2021
- Two groups one conservative, the other liberal walked into a Zoom class - Press Herald - May 16th, 2021
- Liz Cheneys Liberal Critics Are Missing the Point - New York Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Curley: Liberals must rewire their brains away from knee-jerk Trump hate - Boston Herald - May 16th, 2021
- How The Politics Of White Liberals And White Conservatives Are Shaped By Whiteness - FiveThirtyEight - May 16th, 2021
- Liberal. Activist. Girl boss. The complicated nuances of popular labels that often go unpacked The Bowdoin Orient - The Bowdoin Orient - May 16th, 2021
- Evolving past performative politics on a liberal campus - Dailyuw - May 16th, 2021
- Leavening Liberalism | RR Reno - First Things - May 16th, 2021
- Ritesh Jha aka Liberal Doge: The man behind the livestream spewing hate against Pakistani women - Newslaundry - May 16th, 2021
- The rise of Political Sufism poses a threat to liberal politics in both India and Pakistan - Scroll.in - May 16th, 2021
- Ross: Another outbreak of liberal, conservative agreement on the vaccine - MyNorthwest.com - May 16th, 2021
- Tasmanian Liberals have won majority government, ABC's Antony Green says - ABC News - May 16th, 2021
- Letter: Trump should be looking good to even liberal professors - Daily Record-News - May 16th, 2021
- Greg Gutfeld: Progress, stability, and success is just one liberal away from disaster - Fox News - May 16th, 2021
- Pike Liberal Arts and Autauga Academy capture AISA baseball titles, Macon East softball reaches final - Montgomery Advertiser - May 16th, 2021
- What I don't see: How liberal silence for Jewish lives shows progressive limits - The Times of Israel - May 16th, 2021
- Quebec Ink: With Bill C-10, Quebec sets the Liberal agenda on Big Tech - The Logic - May 16th, 2021
- Liberals believe early election more likely after well-received federal budget - Sydney Morning Herald - May 16th, 2021
- Liberal bill on organ donation would create system of presumed consent - CBC.ca - May 16th, 2021
- The Liberal Party suspends Glasgow candidate Derek Jackson 'with immediate effect' after Nazi-style salute and star of David wearing at Glasgow count... - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal | Definition of Liberal at Dictionary.com - May 9th, 2021
- Interesting New Pew Study; White Liberals More Likely To Have Mental Problems - wbckfm.com - May 9th, 2021
- Despite recent wins, hypocrisy will rob liberals of a big victory over Modi - Firstpost - May 9th, 2021
- Joe Oliver: Will Liberal failures and lapses never end? - Financial Post - May 9th, 2021
- Megyn Kelly Irked By Liberal Action Figures: UWS Week In Review - Patch.com - May 9th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Hypocrisy on full display by liberal Democrats - Wooster Daily Record - May 9th, 2021
- Should Canadians get vaccinated abroad? Liberals, Tories skirt the issue but health experts encourage it - CBC.ca - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal candidate Simon Behrakis forced to apologise over failing to 'show respect' - ABC News - May 9th, 2021
- Erin O'Toole: The Liberals' internet regulation bill opens the door to a massive abuse of power - National Post - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal Party: behaviour of candidate treated as hate incident - Glasgow Times - May 9th, 2021
- Families call LIberal gun control bill insult to all victims of gun violence - CP24 Toronto's Breaking News - May 9th, 2021
- Police treating Liberal Party candidate's interaction with Humza Yousaf as hate incident - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal heavyweight asked to review Opposition Leaders office - The Age - May 9th, 2021
- Meghan McCain Slams Mask-Wearing Liberals On 'The View,' Plans to Have "Hot Vaxx Spring" - Decider - May 9th, 2021
- Peter Gutwein describes allegations against Liberal candidate Adam Brooks as 'differing points of view' - ABC News - May 9th, 2021
- Patently fair - The Indian Express - May 9th, 2021
- Scottish election 2021: Big re-election wins for Liberal Democrat MSPs shows just how popular they are Willie Rennie MSP - The Scotsman - May 9th, 2021
- Trudeau says Liberal budget is not a launch pad for a federal election - Yahoo Canada Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Some provinces not ready to embrace Liberal pledge to build a national child care system - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Rohail Hyatt issues one last clarification about what he means by 'liberal' - The Express Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- The State Of Liberal Arts Education In India - Forbes India - April 21st, 2021
- Liberals promise $30B over 5 years to create national child-care system - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Conservative MP says budget needs job creation, while former Liberal candidate pleased with document - battlefordsNOW - April 21st, 2021
- Freeland delivered an election budget, Liberal and Conservative MPs agree - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Former Liberal leader Andrew Peacock remembered as 'great Australian' with lasting legacy - ABC News - April 21st, 2021
- "This Is Just What Liberals Like To Do, Spend Money," Says Portage-Lisgar MP Of Federal Budget - PembinaValleyOnline.com - April 21st, 2021
- Hypocrisy of Liberals: They Outrage Over Election Campaigning, But Egged On Farm Protests - News18 - April 21st, 2021
- Libertarian vs. Liberal: Key Differences and Similarities - April 19th, 2021
- The Liberal Party is faking social media, so what will Facebook do? - Crikey - April 19th, 2021
- Conservative Vs. Liberal - 8 Key Differences - April 19th, 2021
- 5 things to watch for when the Liberals unveil the federal budget - CBC.ca - April 19th, 2021
- Its Not Just Young White Liberals Who Are Leaving Religion - FiveThirtyEight - April 19th, 2021
- Why Liberal arts is the degree young is India talking about - India Today - April 19th, 2021
- Remembering Andrew Peacock, a Liberal leader of intelligence, wit and charm - The Conversation AU - April 19th, 2021
- Liberal Party seeks to prevent The New Liberals from registering - Independent Australia - April 19th, 2021
- Why the WA Liberal Leader has hired a former disgraced government advisor - 6PR - April 19th, 2021
- Four Cartier watches? Bah! Libs hand out the equivalent of 90 a year to party hacks - Crikey - April 19th, 2021
- Dem Leaders Quick to Kill Liberal Dream of Packing the Court - Yahoo News - April 19th, 2021
- Liberals' bill on Indigenous rights getting pushback from Conservatives, First Nations critics - CBC.ca - April 19th, 2021
- Is the Supreme Court biased in favor of conservative Christianity? - Deseret News - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing in gender quotas in the Liberal party is not just right it's smart politics too - The Guardian - March 31st, 2021
- Conservative opinion columnist Rob Port to begin new livestream show with liberals - Grand Forks Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Germany's liberal FDP cool on three-way tie-up with Greens and SPD - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- I would kill to be sexually harassed at the moment: Liberal Teena McQueen stuns colleagues in closed door meeting - Sydney Morning Herald - March 31st, 2021
- In Israel, Liberals Lost. The American Left Should Heed Their Lessons. - Foreign Policy - March 31st, 2021
- Working with the far-right? What a watershed Liberal Party vote means for Swedish politics - The Local Sweden - March 31st, 2021
- No space for liberal education - The Indian Express - March 31st, 2021
- Paynes silence speaks volumes about the Liberal Party - Sydney Morning Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Liberals amend Biodiversity Act in the face of industry, landowner criticism - CBC.ca - March 31st, 2021