A new petition issued from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has made it to the Supreme Court and aims to declare the historic male-only military draft to be unconstitutional.
Noting that the U.S. Department of Defense lifted the ban on women serving in combat in 2013, the petition specifies that the obligation for men to register upon turning 18 years old has yet to be applied to women.
Thousands of women have since served with distinction in combat positions across all branches of the military, the formal petition reads. The registration requirement has no legitimate purpose and cannot withstand the exacting scrutiny sex-based laws require.
Rooted in this argument is the 1981 case Rostker v. Goldberg, which argued that because American men are required to register under U.S. law and women are not, the male-only draft is discriminatory and unconstitutional.
The act gives U.S. presidents the power to require mandatory conscription of eligible adult males into the U.S. Army, but excludes women. Ultimately, the court held that the act does not violate equal protection clauses under the Fifth Amendment, and that the government is allowed to develop an army in times of national emergency.
Now, the petition asks the Supreme Court to overrule Rostker v. Goldberg since women are formally allowed to register for military service and in combat roles.
It is time to overrule Rostker. The registration requirement has no legitimate purpose and cannot withstand the exacting scrutiny sex-based laws require, the petition states, citing that military departments acknowledge that requiring both men and women to register would 'promote fairness and equity and further the goal of military readiness.
The Department of Defense has made strides in including women in combat roles, authoring a report in 2015 that called its own previous standards excluding women from military work outdated.
In 2017, a committee was established to review the draft policy within the Military Selective Service Act to evaluate if the draft should be expanded to incorporate women recruits. Despite a commission analysis that recommended the inclusion, Congress has yet to make the requirement for women official.
The Washington Post further notes that last week, a group of veterans who held military leadership roles asked the Supreme Court to take the case and rule the male-only draft requirement a violation of the equal protection clause.
The vast majority of men ... have no advantage in readiness over women, who the current statutory scheme forbid from registering, the brief, filed by former National Security Agency (NSA) director Michael Hayden, reportedly said.
Debate over whether or not the draft requirement for men is constitutional has ensued in multiple lower courts, but these revitalized petitions ask the Supreme Court to overturn their original 1981 ruling.
The petitions authors also note that by excluding women from draft registration requirements, it undermines their own equality as U.S. citizens.
Like many laws that have purported to privilege women over men, the men-only registration requirement burdens women too by perpetuating the notion that women are unworthy of full citizenship stature, the report concludes, citing another Supreme Court case regarding the treatment of women in the military. Excluding women from a duty characterized as a fundamental civic obligation conveys 'not only that they are not vital to the defenseof the country but also that they are not expected to participate in defending it.'
The Supreme Court could reportedly take months before deciding to revisit Rostker v. Goldberg.
- Devin Nunes's Libel Lawyering, Employee Witnesses, and the Privilege Against Self-Incrimination - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- American Samoans are the latest victims of these ignorant Supreme Court rulings - MSNBC - June 20th, 2021
- Critical race theory has proved divisive. What is it? - theday.com - June 20th, 2021
- Murder Defendant Martin Takes the Stand on His Defense - wkdzradio.com - June 20th, 2021
- Gov. Abbott Vowed to Build a Wall With Mexico. Texas Borderland Owners Say Not in My Backyard - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 20th, 2021
- Prosecution rests in 2nd trial of officers accused of assaulting Black colleague by again focusing on texts - KSDK.com - June 20th, 2021
- NCLA Lawsuit in Texas Seeks to End SEC's Lifetime Gag Orders that Violate the First Amendment - StreetInsider.com - June 20th, 2021
- In His Wild Bid to Stop Leaks to the Press, Trump Even Spied on His Own Lawyer - Truthout - June 20th, 2021
- Paul Robeson Was One of the Greatest Figures of the 20th Century - Jacobin magazine - June 20th, 2021
- Lorraine Reich: It's more than corporate money in elections - The Union of Grass Valley - June 4th, 2021
- Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli Gets a Slap on the Wrist for Using Contraband Phone to Discuss Pharma Business Behind Bars - Law & Crime - June 4th, 2021
- The FBI Took Their Safe Deposit Box and Everything Inside It. Two Months Later, They're Still Waiting for It To Be Returned. - Reason - June 4th, 2021
- Imprisoned Felon Martin Shkreli Busted For Using Contraband Phone To Discuss Pharma Business With Associates Following Daraprim Scandal - Radar Online - June 4th, 2021
- Citing privacy concerns, Huntsville wont explain why convicted officer is still employed - AL.com - June 4th, 2021
- What the House should quickly do if the January 6 commission fails in the Senate - WTVA - May 27th, 2021
- Trial starts for two men charged in the murder of 8-year-old King William child - 8News - May 27th, 2021
- How to Remember the Difference Between Invoke and Evoke - Lifehacker - May 27th, 2021
- Notable investigations, trials and dates ahead 1 year after George Floyds death - NewsNation Now - May 27th, 2021
- AG's Move to Criminal Probe Is a Red Alert for the Trump Org - The Daily Beast - May 27th, 2021
- Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic Stops - John Whitehead's Commentary Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic... - May 27th, 2021
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Voice of the People | | hastingstribune.com - Hastings Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021
- Today's Headlines and Commentary - Lawfare - Lawfare - April 11th, 2021
- What Is the Second Amendment? | Second Amendment Rights - Reader's Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Free Webinar: Battling Deep Fakes and Misinformation Media's Role and Responsibility - StreetInsider.com - April 11th, 2021
- Virginia Beach police bought the technology to automatically turn on body cameras when a gun is drawn, but it doesn't work - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 31st, 2021
- Analysis | Hefazat-e Islam, the group behind anti-Modi protests in Bangladesh - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Question of fear or vengeance at core of Lawton murder trial - The Lawton Constitution - March 31st, 2021
- Professor's New Casebook Is First to Look at Law of the Police - UVA Today - March 31st, 2021
- Arbitration. Enforcement of Award. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act. Personal Jurisdiction. District court refuses to enforce $20 million award... - March 31st, 2021
- SITEONE LANDSCAPE SUPPLY, INC. : Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement, Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation or an Obligation under an... - March 31st, 2021
- City issues order to force Columbus police officers to give evidence in protest probe - The Columbus Dispatch - March 31st, 2021
- Separation of judiciary still elusive in Bangladesh - newagebd.net - March 31st, 2021
- The Fight Over Minimum Wage Has a Long History in the US. Here's What to Know About It - NBC 6 South Florida - March 31st, 2021
- USCIS: Uvarov's request for injunctive relief moot; passport returned and he has departed NMI - Marianas Variety - March 31st, 2021
- Lawyer tries to throw out confession of Killeen woman charged in Vanessa Guillen case - The Killeen Daily Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Bill would protect juveniles' Fifth Amendment rights | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - March 21st, 2021
- SCOTUS to Decide Whether There Is a Fundamental Right to Kick People Off Your Property - Law & Crime - March 21st, 2021
- 5th Amendment - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes - March 7th, 2021
- What is the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment? - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - March 7th, 2021
- Ghost of March 4 inauguration back to haunt us - Olean Times Herald - March 7th, 2021
- What you need to know as Chauvin trial starts Monday - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - March 7th, 2021
- Mensah to 'plead the 5th' if forced to testify in new hearing on deadly shooting - WISN Milwaukee - February 27th, 2021
- CPAC heavy hitters to highlight constitutional freedoms, allege 'left hates the Bill of Rights' - Home - WSFX - February 27th, 2021
- Fact Checking Xavier Becerra's Claim That He 'Never Sued Any Nuns' - The Dispatch - February 27th, 2021
- The 5 Trump Amendments to the Constitution - The Atlantic - February 25th, 2021
- A refusal to testify shouldnt be interpreted this way - Leominster Champion - February 25th, 2021
- Blythe vote-buying case referred to Georgia Attorney General - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Ex-husband of 'RHONY' events planner pleads Fifth in Peeping Tom suit - Page Six - February 25th, 2021
- Ninth Circuit Upholds Dismissal of Kids Climate SuitHeaded to the Supreme Court? - Lexology - February 25th, 2021
- Justices Won't Hear Fight Over USPTO Fees On Axed Patents - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- Florida woman charged over threats to FBI asking about Capitol siege - Insider - February 25th, 2021
- Disputes over church property and ACCA ambiguity - SCOTUSblog - February 25th, 2021
- Newsom Looks To Shear Barber's Suit Over COVID-19 Orders - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- ECC takes on 'Black and Blue: Policing Communities of Color' - WBFO - February 25th, 2021
- Letter: CDC vs. landlords. If director has that much power over private citizens, there's a problem. - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Trump is acquitted again, Sen. Ron Johnson sends the wrong message by siding with him - UW Badger Herald - February 25th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein has been behind bars for a year: What's changed? - USA TODAY - February 25th, 2021
- Fifth Amendment to PREP Act Declaration Expands the Ranks of Health Care Providers Authorized to Administer COVID-19 Vaccines - Lexology - February 8th, 2021
- Dems: The Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination doesn't apply to Trump - ChicagoNow - February 8th, 2021
- Americana Corner: The Bill of Rights: The Fifth Amendment - Bryan County News - February 8th, 2021
- Ex-Con in Fraud Case Takes the Fifth - Arkansas Business Online - February 8th, 2021
- HHS Expands Categories of Persons Covered Under the PREP Act Who Can Administer COVID-19 Vaccine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2021
- Book review: 'The Crooked Path to Abolition' - Bowling Green Daily News - February 8th, 2021
- Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama | TheHill - The Hill - February 8th, 2021
- Letter: Claims of constitutional rights are often wrong - The Durango Herald - February 2nd, 2021
- EU Commission publishes fifth amendment to its Temporary Framework for state aid in relation to the COVID-19 crisis - Lexology - February 2nd, 2021
- Can a Comic Book Contain the Drama and Heat of Activism? - The New York Times - February 2nd, 2021
- Chief Nurse at Wolters Kluwer and Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Discusses HHS Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) Act - Business... - February 2nd, 2021