NEW PORT RICHEY School supplies lists were given out months ago. Even though teachers and students are settled into the new school year, there are still other countries that need help putting pens and paper into the hands of young learners.
All five Pasco-Hernando State College campuses are collecting school supplies for students affected by Hurricane Dorian that hit the Bahamas at the beginning of September.
Due to the destruction of multiple schools, and the damage of many, a lot of students in the country were displaced and moved to new schools. These changes have strained the available school resources.
A PHSC press release stated, Ten schools were destroyed on the island of Abaco alone, while many other schools sustained damages. The traumatized children of the Bahamas, some of whom lost family members, classmates, and their homes are transitioning to schools that are undamaged but strained to accommodate additional students.
Lucy Miller, the director of community outreach for PHSC, believes that the routine of attending school on a daily basis is important for children, especially after the destruction that the hurricane brought down on the island.
Returning to school is such a normal thing that children rely on, Miller said.
The idea for the school supplies drive came up when PHSC President Timothy L. Beard reached out to a PHSC alumnus who resides in Nassau in order to check on the safety of him and his family.
DAngelo Ferguson graduated from PHSC West Campus in 2008. During his time at the school, he earned four associate in science degrees. He lives in Nassau, the capital city of the Bahamas, and is the CEO of the Alfred & Nancy Stuart Foundation, which gives scholarships and gifts to graduating Bahamian high school students.
School leaders are welcoming displaced students into their schools, even if not fully equipped to do so, said Ferguson in a press release. Despite extraordinary circumstances, returning to school establishes a sense of normalcy that children desperately need. Donations of classroom supplies will help ease the strain for schools and students.
Ferguson left his mark on PHSC in multiple ways such as starting an empowering school club.
DAngelo is a natural leader and a force for positive change, said Beard in the release.
He established Men of Excellence, a still active student organization that encourages African-American students to succeed in college, Beard said. We are proud of the role he has taken to help the children of the Bahamas.
The suggested items for donation include new backpacks, flash drives, notebooks, binders, calculators, pens, pencils, art materials and more.
The response has been very positive, Miller said. Its an easily affordable contribution.
People can drop off donated school supplies in boxes at the library and college store at each campus. PHSC West Campus is at 10230 Ridge Road. The college stores are selling discounted supplies to anyone donating to the drive.
PHSC is also looking for the donation of a truck or truck company to load the supplies. For more information, email Lucy Miller at email@example.com.
Read the original here:
- Bahamas | Facts, History & News - March 5th, 2020
- Inside Kylie Jenners Lavish Bahamas Vacation Rental - Architectural Digest - March 5th, 2020
- Storm-ravaged Bahamas rebuilding its power grid with emphasis on solar energy - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas Races Ahead With Its 'Sand Dollar' Digital Currency - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Beautiful Bimini: A Photo Guide to the Tiny Island in the Bahamas - TravelPulse - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas and Bologna Go On the Offensive to Battle Coronavirus Concerns - TravelPulse Canada - March 5th, 2020
- Two charged in connection with murder on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 5th, 2020
- Media in the Digital Age Bahamas Press Club Stages Awards Ceremony - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas braves the elements on mainline trip - Keighley News - March 5th, 2020
- First Solar To Grid In Ragged Island makes '60 Minutes' Appearance - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Lemon Shark Gets a Snout Rub by Conservationist in the Bahamas - Yahoo News UK - March 5th, 2020
- Kylie Jenner shows off her new 'bronde' locks in the Bahamas - Goss.ie - March 5th, 2020
- Govt. working on transition to cashless society - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2020
- Americares to expand Bahamas health care programs - The Advocate - February 21st, 2020
- Banyan Tree to Open Resort With Overwater Bungalows in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - February 21st, 2020
- Bahamas Estate Once Home to the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson Hits the Market - Mansion Global - February 21st, 2020
- Former Bahamas Home Of The Duke Of Windsor And Wallis Simpson Goes On The Market - Forbes - February 21st, 2020
- Ecumenical Gathering with the NCC USA at Annunciation GOC in Bahamas - All Archdiocese News - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - February 21st, 2020
- Grant Williams vacationed with Carsen Edwards, others in the Bahamas - The Rookie Wire - February 21st, 2020
- AIBT & BFSB Joint Response The Bahamas Off The EU Blacklist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Joe Giudice Dances to Milania's Song While Partying in the Bahamas (VIDEO) - Bravo - February 21st, 2020
- DPM: Bahamas has already satisfied over 30 of 40 FATF recommendations - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- OECD tax demands may 'devastate the economy' - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Ministry Of Finance Statement: European Union Removes The Bahamas From Tax Watchlist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Senior Bahamas Tourism Executive Receives Recognition Award from Premier Faith-Based Trade Association - South Florida Caribbean News - February 21st, 2020
- FIBA qualifier: Bahamas will have 10 players against Mexico - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- First look at Disneys new private island Lighthouse Point in the Bahamas - The Irish Sun - February 21st, 2020
- PM: Govt. will aggressively defend borders against illegal migration - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- Removal from the EU's Tax Watch List Confirms The Bahamas Has Implemented Necessary Reforms - Magnetic Media - February 21st, 2020
- Junior sailors take advantage of the 7th annual Youth Olympic Regatta - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Airbnb is offering five people a free 2-month 'sabbatical' in the Bahamas - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is sending 5 people on a 2-month 'sabbatical' to the Bahamas - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb Wants to Send You on a Sabbatical to the Bahamas - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- World News Media Looks at How Financial Services in The Bahamas are Changing in the Latest Issue of World Finance - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Live in The Bahamas for two months with this Airbnb sabbatical - Leicestershire Live - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is offering a trip to the Bahamas and it's completely free - Mirror Online - January 30th, 2020
- The United States and The Bahamas Sign Air Transport Agreement - South Florida Caribbean News - January 30th, 2020
- Dream jobs: Airbnb is offering a sustainable sabbatical in The Bahamas - Stylist Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- From The Bahamas to Antigua, the Caribbean's Best Historic Hotels - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Jack Nicklaus' New Residence Club Is Coming to The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Society-Wide Effort Needed to Elevate Skill Levels to Global Norms, says Bahamas Education Minister - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas back as 'least corrupt in the Caribbean' - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Family Hotel in St Lucia Helps Family Islands in Bahamas - St. Lucia News From The Voice St. Lucia - The Voice St. Lucia - January 27th, 2020
- Team Bahamas 6th overall - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas Defence Force investigates bodies washed ashore near Ragged Island - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Transparency International: The Bahamas least corrupt in region - Loop News Barbados - January 27th, 2020
- Larry Birkhead Wishes He Went to Bahamas Before Anna Nicole Smith Died: 'She'd Still Be Here' - FOX10 News - January 18th, 2020
- Sea level rise threat to 15% of Bahamas' GDP - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions CEO Gappelberg to pitch company at investor confab in Bahamas - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas 'top of the heap' before Dorian - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- A Travel Guide To The Bahamas: 15 Things Not To Miss Out On - TheTravel - January 18th, 2020
- Just Under Half the Value of Hurricane Dorian Losses and Damage in The Bahamas is Pledged for Recovery Efforts - Caribbean360.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas travel guide: All the things to do and not miss out on at these Carribean islands - Republic World - Republic World - January 18th, 2020
- Gainey wins The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - SCNow - January 16th, 2020
- Gainey takes third-round lead at The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - pgatour.com - January 16th, 2020
- Bahamas Government 'considering its options' for Freeport Grand Bahama International Airport - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - January 16th, 2020
- Three Rescued from Sinking Tug Off Andros Island, Bahamas - The Maritime Executive - January 16th, 2020
- The 21st-ranked Gators open up season in the Bahamas - The Independent Florida Alligator - January 16th, 2020
- Columbus' Claims of Cannibal Raids May Have Been True After All - Livescience.com - January 16th, 2020
- United Airlines pilots mark bar mitzvah, dance with rabbi post-landing in Bahamas - JNS.org - January 16th, 2020
- RBC regional exec: Bank is committed to The Bahamas long term - EyeWitness News - January 16th, 2020
- House Hunting in the Bahamas: Comfort on the Waters of Nassau - The New York Times - December 18th, 2019
- The Bahamas Is Recovering From One Of The Strongest Atlantic Hurricanes On Record - Its Hard - Forbes - December 18th, 2019
- Chronic Disease, Injuries, and Mental Health Issues: The Bahamas' Challenging Future - Direct Relief - December 18th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Island still struggling to recover more than three months after Hurricane Dorian - ABC Action News - December 18th, 2019
- Bulls arrive in the Bahamas - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo Reporter - December 18th, 2019
- Michigan company gives away 13 Cadillacs and 30 cruises to the Bahamas at holiday party - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - December 18th, 2019
- Josh and the Bahamas - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - December 18th, 2019
- Crowd jeers Reed over rules violation in Bahamas | Golf | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 18th, 2019
- Two Ga. Southern students from the Bahamas are graduating after community's help - WJCL News - December 18th, 2019
- What to watch for when Bahamas Bowl kicks off bowl season - Chicago Daily Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Bahamas Opposition accuses the Government of Parliamentary abuse - WIC News - December 18th, 2019
- UN: Men have higher rate of suicide in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - December 18th, 2019
- Marcus Weathers scores 12 to lift Duquesne over Air Force in Bahamas - TribLIVE - November 23rd, 2019
- Evansville basketball treating Bahamas getaway as a 'business trip' to continue hot start - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Oregon's rebounding issues could be put to the test in Bahamas - 247Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Two local men are home from a life-changing trip to The Bahamas - 13abc Action News - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty routs Morgan State to open stay in the Bahamas - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 23rd, 2019
- Grand Bahama back on stream: The Bahamas is open for business - Travelweek - November 23rd, 2019
- Heading into the Bahamas, Michigan is where it wants to be - UM Hoops - November 23rd, 2019