The painful memories still haunt Manjima Sarkar.
Three years ago, her beloved uncle, Ardhendu Raha, began to feel quite ill. Like so many seniors, he opted not to call 911, attributing his symptoms to old age.
As his condition worsened, he finally went to the hospital, where doctors diagnosed him with a serious stroke. Because he had waited so long to seek treatment, he suffered permanent memory loss and impaired speech.
Watching him become a shell of the person he used to be has been a really bad experience, said Sarkar, a sophomore biomedical engineering student at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. Since then, Ive had a desire to do something with stroke.
And so she has. Sarkar teamed with USC Viterbi undergraduates Rhea Choudhury, David Sealand and Adam Walker to create INTRAM, a mobile app to help patients having a stroke receive the best possible medical care in the shortest period of time.
As a measure of INTRAMs potential, the National Academy of Engineering recently selected the USC team as one of the United States representatives to this yearsInternational Student Day Business Model Competition, which will take place July 18 in Washington, D.C. Competing for more than $50,000 in funding will be 15 university teams five each from the U.S., the United Kingdom and China.
Representing the U.S. as one of five U.S. finalists is an honor for our team, said USC Viterbi Dean Yannis C. Yortsos, who serves on the steering committee of the Global Grand Challenges Summit. It also demonstrates the strength and reach of our technology innovation program for our engineering undergraduates, a key component of our Grand Challenges Scholars Program.
Addressing the Grand Challenges is like working in the garden, he added, where many colorful and unique ideas will grow. Some will become beautiful plants and will change the world.
At the international competition, teams of undergraduate engineering students will present startup business plans based on one of the associations 14 Grand Challenges. These include engineering better medicines, securing cyberspace, advancing personalized learning tools to deliver better education to more people, and making solar energy cheaper and more competitive with traditional energy sources such as coal.
The competition is dedicated to promoting engineering with social entrepreneurship and innovations for our world, the NAEs Maggie Bartolomeo said.
To reach the international finals, INTRAM had to get through the American semifinals contest held in Washington, D.C. There, the USC team competed against 11 teams from across the country. Five advanced to the next round.
When INTRAM team members learned they had made the finals, Rhea hugged me, I hugged Adam and David was just in shock, Sarkar said.
They have a right to feel joyful.
INTRAM team members appear to have come up with an app with potentially widespread application. An estimated 795,000 Americans have strokes annually, with 130,000 dying, making it the third-leading cause of death in the U.S., according to the American Stroke Association. Strokes are also the leading cause of long-term disability.
The INTRAM app, its creators say, might save thousands of lives and prevent scores of disabilities annually.
Doctors would help at-risk patients the elderly, diabetics, people with heart disease, among others download the app, which contains lots of rich information about strokes and their symptoms. At the same time, patients would scan their insurance card into the app, which would then create a database of available hospitals and treatment centers under their current insurance plans.
In the event an at-risk patient experiences stroke symptoms such as severe headaches or sudden weakness, numbness or trouble walking they could immediately call into an INTRAM-run telestroke network. Depending on the severity, a physician would encourage the patient to call an ambulance or head to an in-network treatment facility. INTRAMS search algorithm would direct the patient to the nearest medical office with the shortest wait times.
Time is of the essence with strokes.
Patients using this app would get to the hospital within a shorter time window, allowing them to receive medication that is both cheaper and more effective, said INTRAM team member Choudhury, a sophomore biomedical engineering student. This would improve their survival rates and significantly cut down on recovery time because their strokes wouldnt be allowed to progress to the point of debilitating neurological impairment.
The company hopes to market its services to health insurers, who stand to benefit financially from cheaper costs associated with post-stroke care.
INTRAM began working on the app in October. They received mentoring from Eun Ji Chung, a Gabilan Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. Team members, through a $2,500 grant from the National Science Foundation, canvassed potential customers to learn their problems and how they might address them. The NSF awarded the money to USC through an Innovation Corps I-Corps Site grant.
Looking forward, team members believe INTRAM has a bright future.
All of us feel passionate about the goal and cause, Choudhury said. Well see where this takes us.
More stories about: Emerging Technology, Entrepreneurship, Startups
USC Viterbi dean lauds the recognition of the trustees impact in technology and engineering.
The annual Robotics Open House gives visiting schoolchildren a chance to see how the next generation of robots will change the world.
At 144,000 feet, its believed to be the highest altitude achieved worldwide for a vehicle designed and manufactured by students.
Aerospace researcher develops simulations to enhance an engines stability and life span.
Read more from the original source:
- MOL vessel GAS AGILITY Undergoes LNG Bunkering to the world's largest LNG fueled container vessel - American Journal of Transportation - November 22nd, 2020
- The Navy is offering bonuses up to $125,000 to keep SEAL officers in uniform - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 22nd, 2020
- Veterans Day Observed with Caution in Great Falls - Virginia Connection Newspapers - November 22nd, 2020
- The spirits of Christmas: drinkable homemade gifts recipes - The Guardian - November 22nd, 2020
- Shipping industry welcomes IMO decision to give further consideration to USD 5 billion fund to accelerate decarbonization - American Journal of... - November 22nd, 2020
- Castor Oil for Hair: The Pros and Cons, According to Experts - MarieClaire.com - November 22nd, 2020
- At-home medication disposal to address rise in overdoses - Gainesville Sun - November 22nd, 2020
- Innovative retail concept Egg to launch in SA this November - Bizcommunity.com - November 17th, 2020
- JPG on board as Airfields progresses - Place North West - November 17th, 2020
- Sealand firing times 26 October to 13 November 2020 (Updated 26 October 2020) - GOV.UK - October 27th, 2020
- Going green grows jobs and cuts pollution - IOL - October 27th, 2020
- Another link in the chain - UNC Chapell Hill - October 9th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Myristyl Alcohol (CAS 112 72 1) Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 Best Companies included in report KLK OLEO, KAO... - October 9th, 2020
- Fighting hunger with the Million Meal Movement - WISHTV.com - October 9th, 2020
- Diving into the history of the Marlborough Sounds reveals a much-changed seascape - Stuff.co.nz - October 9th, 2020
- Hundreds break covid rules to watch 'illegal street race' over the border - North Wales Live - September 18th, 2020
- Third attempt to build 150 homes on Chester flood risk area branded 'nonsense' - Cheshire Live - September 18th, 2020
- The full list of North Wales schools which have reported coronavirus cases - North Wales Live - September 18th, 2020
- Do you remember these golden goals? Welsh stars who have scored real belters - LeaderLive - June 20th, 2020
- Heres Why Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Must Use Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - March 24th, 2020
- Man who went to see son play in band caught drink-driving on way home - LeaderLive - March 24th, 2020
- Man stabbed 56 times tells court his friend attacked him on night he's 'living over and over' - North Wales Live - March 5th, 2020
- 26 Sustainability efforts of the fashion industry in February 2020 - FashionUnited UK - March 5th, 2020
- Meet the kind-hearted truck driver who has helped feed Wrexham's homeless every week for years - LeaderLive - March 5th, 2020
- Meet the sponsor: Sealand Pacific Seafood Trading - Caterer Middle East - March 2nd, 2020
- Reporter takes to the skies: Qualicum Beach flight school now up and running - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - March 2nd, 2020
- Photographer from Deeside on 'cloud nine' with accolade - LeaderLive - February 27th, 2020
- China firms in $10 billion share sale rush as funding rules eased amid virus worries - Reuters - February 27th, 2020
- The Lunar New Year's most talked-about watches - High Horology Journal - February 27th, 2020
- Christmas saved in Sealand as Santa will be coming to the town - LeaderLive - November 30th, 2019
- Rare images of Chester FC's Sealand Road home after it's closure in 1990 - Cheshire Live - October 31st, 2019
- Major police incident on Sealand Road as Texaco garage was shut off to public - Cheshire Live - October 27th, 2019
- Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Will Have To Spend Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - October 27th, 2019
- Bloodied stab victim collapsed on Texaco garage floor while the other 'bought beer and energy drinks' - Daily Post - October 27th, 2019
- Moshe Oved silver ring, rare British petrol pump globe and William Gladstone's grandfather clock six auction highlights that caught bidders' eyes in... - October 27th, 2019
- Appeal launched over refusal of plans to store cars and caravans on green barrier land in Sealand - Deeside.com - October 20th, 2019
- Coleg Cambria volunteers clean-up streets and rivers of Deeside for community event - Wales247 - October 20th, 2019
- Land and whole farms launched as supply improves in Wales - FarmersWeekly - August 18th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - The Chester Standard - August 16th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - LeaderLive - August 14th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Other Events - Market Exclusive - August 13th, 2017
- What You Must Know About Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited's (LSE:SCGL) Major Investors - Simply Wall St - August 10th, 2017
- Sealand Capital Galaxy Ltd (SCGL) Is Yet to See Trading Action on Aug 9 - Herald KS - August 9th, 2017
- Chester floodplain housing scheme unanimously rejected - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - August 5th, 2017
- sealand | eBay - August 3rd, 2017
- Chaiken Money Flow For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Above Zero - Stock Rover - August 3rd, 2017
- Zeroing in on Yesterday's High: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - August 3rd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Mesa Moving Average Climbs Above FAMA - JCTY News - August 2nd, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)? - Rockville Register - August 1st, 2017
- Late night shopping scheme in Chester sees Park & Ride services extended - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Ichimoku Reveals Negative Momentum - Rockville Register - July 29th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited (SCGL.L)? - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand ... - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 26th, 2017
- Sealand | Fifth World Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 22nd, 2017
- Sealand - Wikitravel - July 22nd, 2017
- Range Rover invasion at Chester supermarket site - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 20th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Pushes Higher 37.14% - DARC News - July 20th, 2017
- WATCH: New Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 19th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) is a Volume Leader - Nelson Research - July 13th, 2017
- Flooding on Chester's Sealand Road after downpour - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 11th, 2017
- About Sealand - Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness - July 9th, 2017
- Neighborhood Notes: the first week of July - Mission Local - July 8th, 2017
- Maersk ransomware attack may hit 'tens of thousands' of shippers, warns analyst - The Loadstar - June 30th, 2017
- Independence Day 2017 SeaLand & Port Schedule - American Journal of Transportation - June 28th, 2017
- Pivot Points in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - June 22nd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Moving -40.00% in Session - BVN - June 17th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- sealand toilet | eBay - June 15th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- Inquiry date for Chester flood plain homes plan - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - June 14th, 2017
- How Are Analysts Interpreting Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)'s Relative Strength? - Nelson Research - June 8th, 2017
- Malawi govt over paid farm input suppliers by K61billion - Nyasa Times - June 6th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Benton Bulletin - June 3rd, 2017
- Needle Action Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 1st, 2017
- Registered sex offender from Sealand jailed over downloading indecent images - LeaderLive - May 30th, 2017
- Active Runner in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - The Times - May 30th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Melville Review - May 26th, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for "chaotic" management - Reuters - May 23rd, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for 'chaotic' management - Yahoo Finance UK - May 23rd, 2017