The painful memories still haunt Manjima Sarkar.
Three years ago, her beloved uncle, Ardhendu Raha, began to feel quite ill. Like so many seniors, he opted not to call 911, attributing his symptoms to old age.
As his condition worsened, he finally went to the hospital, where doctors diagnosed him with a serious stroke. Because he had waited so long to seek treatment, he suffered permanent memory loss and impaired speech.
Watching him become a shell of the person he used to be has been a really bad experience, said Sarkar, a sophomore biomedical engineering student at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. Since then, Ive had a desire to do something with stroke.
And so she has. Sarkar teamed with USC Viterbi undergraduates Rhea Choudhury, David Sealand and Adam Walker to create INTRAM, a mobile app to help patients having a stroke receive the best possible medical care in the shortest period of time.
As a measure of INTRAMs potential, the National Academy of Engineering recently selected the USC team as one of the United States representatives to this yearsInternational Student Day Business Model Competition, which will take place July 18 in Washington, D.C. Competing for more than $50,000 in funding will be 15 university teams five each from the U.S., the United Kingdom and China.
Representing the U.S. as one of five U.S. finalists is an honor for our team, said USC Viterbi Dean Yannis C. Yortsos, who serves on the steering committee of the Global Grand Challenges Summit. It also demonstrates the strength and reach of our technology innovation program for our engineering undergraduates, a key component of our Grand Challenges Scholars Program.
Addressing the Grand Challenges is like working in the garden, he added, where many colorful and unique ideas will grow. Some will become beautiful plants and will change the world.
At the international competition, teams of undergraduate engineering students will present startup business plans based on one of the associations 14 Grand Challenges. These include engineering better medicines, securing cyberspace, advancing personalized learning tools to deliver better education to more people, and making solar energy cheaper and more competitive with traditional energy sources such as coal.
The competition is dedicated to promoting engineering with social entrepreneurship and innovations for our world, the NAEs Maggie Bartolomeo said.
To reach the international finals, INTRAM had to get through the American semifinals contest held in Washington, D.C. There, the USC team competed against 11 teams from across the country. Five advanced to the next round.
When INTRAM team members learned they had made the finals, Rhea hugged me, I hugged Adam and David was just in shock, Sarkar said.
They have a right to feel joyful.
INTRAM team members appear to have come up with an app with potentially widespread application. An estimated 795,000 Americans have strokes annually, with 130,000 dying, making it the third-leading cause of death in the U.S., according to the American Stroke Association. Strokes are also the leading cause of long-term disability.
The INTRAM app, its creators say, might save thousands of lives and prevent scores of disabilities annually.
Doctors would help at-risk patients the elderly, diabetics, people with heart disease, among others download the app, which contains lots of rich information about strokes and their symptoms. At the same time, patients would scan their insurance card into the app, which would then create a database of available hospitals and treatment centers under their current insurance plans.
In the event an at-risk patient experiences stroke symptoms such as severe headaches or sudden weakness, numbness or trouble walking they could immediately call into an INTRAM-run telestroke network. Depending on the severity, a physician would encourage the patient to call an ambulance or head to an in-network treatment facility. INTRAMS search algorithm would direct the patient to the nearest medical office with the shortest wait times.
Time is of the essence with strokes.
Patients using this app would get to the hospital within a shorter time window, allowing them to receive medication that is both cheaper and more effective, said INTRAM team member Choudhury, a sophomore biomedical engineering student. This would improve their survival rates and significantly cut down on recovery time because their strokes wouldnt be allowed to progress to the point of debilitating neurological impairment.
The company hopes to market its services to health insurers, who stand to benefit financially from cheaper costs associated with post-stroke care.
INTRAM began working on the app in October. They received mentoring from Eun Ji Chung, a Gabilan Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. Team members, through a $2,500 grant from the National Science Foundation, canvassed potential customers to learn their problems and how they might address them. The NSF awarded the money to USC through an Innovation Corps I-Corps Site grant.
Looking forward, team members believe INTRAM has a bright future.
All of us feel passionate about the goal and cause, Choudhury said. Well see where this takes us.
More stories about: Emerging Technology, Entrepreneurship, Startups
USC Viterbi dean lauds the recognition of the trustees impact in technology and engineering.
The annual Robotics Open House gives visiting schoolchildren a chance to see how the next generation of robots will change the world.
At 144,000 feet, its believed to be the highest altitude achieved worldwide for a vehicle designed and manufactured by students.
Aerospace researcher develops simulations to enhance an engines stability and life span.
Read more from the original source:
- Rare images of Chester FC's Sealand Road home after it's closure in 1990 - Cheshire Live - October 31st, 2019
- Major police incident on Sealand Road as Texaco garage was shut off to public - Cheshire Live - October 27th, 2019
- Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Will Have To Spend Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - October 27th, 2019
- Bloodied stab victim collapsed on Texaco garage floor while the other 'bought beer and energy drinks' - Daily Post - October 27th, 2019
- Moshe Oved silver ring, rare British petrol pump globe and William Gladstone's grandfather clock six auction highlights that caught bidders' eyes in... - October 27th, 2019
- Appeal launched over refusal of plans to store cars and caravans on green barrier land in Sealand - Deeside.com - October 20th, 2019
- Coleg Cambria volunteers clean-up streets and rivers of Deeside for community event - Wales247 - October 20th, 2019
- Land and whole farms launched as supply improves in Wales - FarmersWeekly - August 18th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - The Chester Standard - August 16th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - LeaderLive - August 14th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Other Events - Market Exclusive - August 13th, 2017
- What You Must Know About Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited's (LSE:SCGL) Major Investors - Simply Wall St - August 10th, 2017
- Sealand Capital Galaxy Ltd (SCGL) Is Yet to See Trading Action on Aug 9 - Herald KS - August 9th, 2017
- Chester floodplain housing scheme unanimously rejected - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - August 5th, 2017
- sealand | eBay - August 3rd, 2017
- Chaiken Money Flow For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Above Zero - Stock Rover - August 3rd, 2017
- Zeroing in on Yesterday's High: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - August 3rd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Mesa Moving Average Climbs Above FAMA - JCTY News - August 2nd, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)? - Rockville Register - August 1st, 2017
- Late night shopping scheme in Chester sees Park & Ride services extended - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Ichimoku Reveals Negative Momentum - Rockville Register - July 29th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited (SCGL.L)? - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand ... - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 26th, 2017
- Sealand | Fifth World Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 22nd, 2017
- Sealand - Wikitravel - July 22nd, 2017
- Range Rover invasion at Chester supermarket site - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 20th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Pushes Higher 37.14% - DARC News - July 20th, 2017
- WATCH: New Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 19th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) is a Volume Leader - Nelson Research - July 13th, 2017
- Flooding on Chester's Sealand Road after downpour - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 11th, 2017
- About Sealand - Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness - July 9th, 2017
- Neighborhood Notes: the first week of July - Mission Local - July 8th, 2017
- Maersk ransomware attack may hit 'tens of thousands' of shippers, warns analyst - The Loadstar - June 30th, 2017
- Independence Day 2017 SeaLand & Port Schedule - American Journal of Transportation - June 28th, 2017
- Pivot Points in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - June 22nd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Moving -40.00% in Session - BVN - June 17th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- sealand toilet | eBay - June 15th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- Inquiry date for Chester flood plain homes plan - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - June 14th, 2017
- How Are Analysts Interpreting Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)'s Relative Strength? - Nelson Research - June 8th, 2017
- Malawi govt over paid farm input suppliers by K61billion - Nyasa Times - June 6th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Benton Bulletin - June 3rd, 2017
- Needle Action Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 1st, 2017
- Registered sex offender from Sealand jailed over downloading indecent images - LeaderLive - May 30th, 2017
- Active Runner in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - The Times - May 30th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Melville Review - May 26th, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for "chaotic" management - Reuters - May 23rd, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for 'chaotic' management - Yahoo Finance UK - May 23rd, 2017
- Volume Moving the Tape For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Concord Register - May 23rd, 2017
- Tale of the Ticker: Orthometrix Inc (OMRX), Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Moving on Volume - Stock Talker - May 23rd, 2017
- Just the Fundamentals: Checking in on Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - May 18th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Needle Moving 44.23% - The Standard - May 18th, 2017
- Can Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Continue its Near-Term Run? - Union Trade Journal - May 18th, 2017
- Needle Action Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Pearson Press - May 17th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Needle Moving on Volume - DARC News - May 13th, 2017
- Home SEC Filings Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Unregistered Sales of Equity... - Market Exclusive - May 11th, 2017
- HISTORY: 15 old pictures from the Principality of Sealand - Harwich and Manningtree Standard - May 6th, 2017
- SeaLand: Canada Freight Forwarders eManifest Guidelines - American Journal of Transportation - May 4th, 2017
- A Successful Business Transformation from Defence Stalwart to F-35 Global Assignee, DECA Sealand - Business News Wales - May 2nd, 2017
- HISTORY: 15 old pictures from the Principality of Sealand - Gazette - April 30th, 2017
- BRIEF-Sealand Securities' Q1 net profit down 33.5 pct y/y - Reuters - April 28th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Morgan Research - April 28th, 2017
- Lords of Sealand Releases New Single - Motion - The Deli Magazine National (blog) - April 23rd, 2017
- Sealand and Queensferry Dementia Caf launch garden club - LeaderLive - April 12th, 2017
- Sealand and Queensferry Dementia Caf launch garden club - News North Wales - April 10th, 2017
- Gardening club launch at Sealand and Queensferry Dementia Caf - Deeside.com - April 10th, 2017
- Speed camera on Sealand Road "worth it if it saves a life" - LeaderLive - April 3rd, 2017
- Speed camera on Sealand Road "worth it if it saves a life" - News North Wales - April 2nd, 2017
- Sealand returns after bond scandal - IFR Asia - April 2nd, 2017
- Media - Principality of Sealand - March 31st, 2017
- Sealand church invites 164 wed couples on anniversary - BBC News - March 29th, 2017
- Sealand church celebrates 150 years of weddings with exhibition - LeaderLive - March 29th, 2017
- Work on the new A548 Sealand Road 'average speed' camera system set to begin today - Deeside.com - March 29th, 2017
- Speed camera on Sealand Road will 'prevent the same heartache' - LeaderLive - March 29th, 2017
- Sealand Road 'average speed' camera system to be up and running in weeks - Deeside.com - March 23rd, 2017
- SeaLand To Establish Corporate Headquarters In Miramar ... - March 17th, 2017
- Sealand in Miami, Florida with Reviews - YP.com - March 17th, 2017
- Sealand - The Principality of Sealand - thoughtco.com - March 17th, 2017