Looking for a post-lockdown getaway? Let Andrea Pearsonbe your guide with this selection of hotels on some ofScotlands most remote and beautiful islands...
Contrast the romance of the Orkneys Islands ancient past with the taste of contemporary Scottish cuisine at The Foveran, the islands beloved restaurant with rooms overlooking the sparkling waters of Scapa Flow.
The family-run hotel is a foodie paradise having twice won the Orkney Food Festival Best Evening Meal Award. Chef and proprietor Paul Doull sources local livestock, fish, and a surprising array of fruit and vegetables grown in the long hours of summer daylight to create seasonal menus. Kirkwall Bay scallops, lobsters and langoustines are among the star attractions, along with grass-fed beef, Grimbister Farm cheese and North Ronaldsay mutton which gets its distinctive texture and flavour from feeding on seaweed along the rugged island shoreline.
Finish the day with a dram of famous Highland Park whisky from Kirkwall. The kitchen also keeps the tradition of baking bere bunno or bannock, using stone-ground beremeal flour from the Barony Mill.
All eight of the rooms have recently been renovated to create the perfect stop between visits to some of the islands Neolithic sites.
2. Jurassic lark
Perhaps Scotlands most romantic island, Skye offers rocky skylines, sandy beaches, castles, ancient monuments, and other-worldly geology if you are very lucky you might spot an actual dinosaur footprint. The four-star Marmalade hotel in Portree is a beautiful blend of historic manor house and contemporary architecture. Any time here is best spent sitting back to allow the dramatic landscapes envelop you like a huge tartan blanket.
The rooms and suites are contemporary and exquisitely stylish, but it is the views from the generously-sized windows that really make you realise that you are not in Kansas any more. Drink in the wonderful landscapes while enjoying complete comfort in your room with Nespresso coffee machines, Bose music systems, and beds draped in luxurious linens.
And new for this year is a stylish and Covid-safe outdoor seating area where the evening can be enjoyed around a roaring fire in the firepit.
By day, explore the lush gardens to enjoy the views over the harbour village and the Cuillins. Every stay in the hotel is completed by fine dining in the hotels excellent Chargrill restaurant.
Scarista House on Harris is quite simply one of the most beautiful and remote places to stay in Scotland, with amazing views of the Atlantic Ocean, heather-covered mountains, and a three-mile long sandy beach.
This comfortable, elegant hotel and restaurant is set within a 200-year-old manse with 3ft-thick walls, atmospherically creaky floorboards, and real fires.
Cooking is a serious business, and the menu is meticulously created using as much organic, wild and homegrown produce as is possible, while all bread, cakes, biscuits and ice cream are homemade.
Scarista House is the only Outer Hebrides restaurant to be featured in Alastair Sawdays Eat Slow Britain, and it is listed in the Michelin Guide. It is also the kind of place to bring the dog (by arrangement) for a good run on the beach and resident pooches Brodie and Maud are very welcoming.
Ever dreamed about having your own island? A stay at the Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa and Island can make this a reality.
And you dont even need to negotiate yourself on and off the CalMac ferry this island is joined to the mainland, just north of Oban, via a small, private bridge. Relax in your private island hideaway as Highland cattle graze, badgers visit, and otters and grey seals swim in and out of the sparkling seaweed along the shorelines.
Or live the sporting life by joining in traditional activities such clay pigeon shooting, archery or Viking-inspired axe throwing. With a nine-hole golf course and the chance of croquet on the lawn, it is very much a lairds weekend.
5. For peats sake
For a truly indulgent break away filled with luxuries and seven miles of bleached white sands, it might be hard to beat the wonder that is the Machrie Hotel & Golf Links. Islay is, of course, peated whisky heaven and a birdwatchers paradise, but The Machrie now adds a championship links golf course into the mix.
Originally an 18th-century farmhouse, The Machrie reopened in 2018 with 47 new rooms, suites and lodges enjoying stunning views across the links or to the sea. Find apres-golf (or even anti-golf) treats at the hotels gym and spa or book a trip with Islay Sea Adventure to see seals, white-tailed sea eagles, and occasionally a basking shark.
On fine evenings, dine on the outdoor terrace overlooking the sea and top the day off with some of Scotland very finest whiskies. Slainte.
6. Coll of the wild
The little island of Coll, all 13 miles by three miles of it, offers the epitome of social distancing. And if the call of Coll gets you in summer 2021, The Coll Hotel as the only hotel and pub on the island is where you will probably find yourself.
The hotel is known for delicious, freshly-caught seafood expect lobster, crab and langoustine as well as delicious Hebridean grass-fed lamb. As is the case with many a small island kitchen, homemade just about everything is the order of the day.
A stunning array of chutneys, marmalade, jams, pickles, breads, ice cream, and pastas are all made at the hotel. By day, explore the could-be-the-Caribbean beaches or take the binoculars to spot birds in the remote but spectacular RSPB reserve.
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 7th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 7th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 7th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4,000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Ed Sheeran had to be talked out of buying an island and moving to Ghana - NME - July 7th, 2021
- The private Scottish island you can buy for the same price as a London flat - My London - July 7th, 2021
- 17 Sunny Photos of the Royal Family at the Beach - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KTVZ - July 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In July - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau: Marlon Brandos fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 7th, 2021
- The Best Room at ... The Four Seasons Anguilla - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- If you love travel then Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals is your next watch - Woman & Home - July 7th, 2021
- Taxing tourists is helping the Balearic islands to give back to sustainable initiatives - Euronews - June 28th, 2021
- Escape to one of these 10 New England islands for your next vacation - USA Today 10Best - June 28th, 2021
- Some neighborhoods in DC can be 20 degrees hotter than other areas. Here's why - WUSA9.com - June 28th, 2021
- Where is the Love Island villa and can I stay there? - Manchester Evening News - June 28th, 2021
- Calilo a work of art on the Greek island of Ios - Travel Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- The perfect getaway: An interview with Luis D. Ortiz of Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacations Rentals - Charleston Post Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Yugo Private Aviation expands in Southeast Asia - Business Wire - June 27th, 2021
- Rare chance to own a renovated cottage on a private Welsh island - Wales Online - June 27th, 2021
- Would you like to stay in an igloo when your trip resumes? - Ohionewstime.com - June 27th, 2021
- Private aviation firm Yugo pursuing growth in PHL - BusinessWorld Online - June 27th, 2021
- Behind the Scenes: On the Hunt for the Real Ghislaine Maxwell - Rolling Stone - June 27th, 2021
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KRDO - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Tourism is Back and it Starts in The Seychelles With a Boom! - Al-Bawaba - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about a Fiji and Pacific Islands travel bubble, and which islands to visit - Nine - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- How to Build Anywhere in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Europe woos tourists with cash, cafes and Covid-free islands - Yahoo Singapore News - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021