WARNING: The following contains spoilers for The Mandalorian.
The Mandaloriandropped a huge surprise with the reveal a baby Yodaat the end of its first episode,and fans have already come up with all sorts of theories about its origins. One of the most interesting theories, however, posits that this new character is actually a clone.
Disney+'s inaugural show is created by Jon Favreau and revolves around the lone gunfighternamed Dyn Jarren, played by Pedro Pascal. The Mandalorian takes place five years after Star Wars: Return of the Jedi and gives us our first look at the aftermath of the Galactic Empire's fall following the Battle of Endor. "Chapter 1" which debuted the same day the streaming platform launched this week, focused on establishing the Mandalorian's character and his new mission. At the end of the outing, however, it was revealed the the asset he is tasked to go and get is an infant from the same species as Yoda.
Related:Star Wars: Everything We Know About Yoda's Species
Not much is known regarding Yoda's species - a deliberate creative decision from Star Wars creator George Lucas. So with the arrival of just the third member (the others being Yoda and Yaddle) of the diminutive green alien race, fans are naturally curious aboutwhere the baby came from. Onepopular theory is that it's actually a clone - a claim supported by some details revealed in The Mandalorian premiere.
Dyn's ongoing mission came from the mysterious character only referred to as The Client (Werner Herzog). While The Mandalorian didn't give any significant details, it's clear that he's a supporter of the Empire who's still trying to grapple at the remnants of its powers, as evidenced by the grimy Stormtroopers present during the meeting. He also seems to be workingwith a Kaminoan -Dr. Pershing (Omid Abtahi) who was noticeably wearing a Kamino patch spotted by a fan and shared on Twitter.
Kaminoans are isolationists from the aquatic planet Kamino, and their scientists are known for their cloning technology. They created the clone troopers of the Grand Army of the Republic, as well as the bio-chip that enabled Order 66, which lends credence to this theory - assuming that Dr. Pershing is indeed associated with them.
While The Mandalorian has kept The Client and Dr. Pershing's intentions towards the baby Yoda unclear for now, the two butt headsregardinghow Dyn can bring it back to them. The former doesn't mind whether it's dead or alive, as long as they get their hands on it, while the latter is insistent that it should be delivered to them without being harmed.This further supports the theory that the baby isn't disposable, potentially because it is a clone of Jedi Master Yoda.
Related:The Mandalorian Is Set 5 Years AFTER Return of the Jedi... So About That Twist
Aside from the involvement of Dr. Pershing, the timeline also seems to line up with the theory that baby Yoda is indeed a clone.While we didn't learn about the cloning until Star Wars: The Attack of the Clones (22 BBY), the process of perfecting the processwas already ongoing behind-the-scenes. In Star Wars canon, Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas initially ordered the creation of the Clone Army in 32 BBY, withthe project eventuallytaken over by Count Dooku, who provided them with the genetic template. However,it's possible that cloning dates back much earlier.
According to The Mandalorian, this infant is 50 years old. While Lucasfilm has limited information about the species, we know that they age slowly compared to other breeds. Case in point: Yoda died when he was 900 years old. This explains why the infant looks like he does,despite his biological age. Itmeans that baby Yoda came to life in 41 BBY - 10 years before the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, and interestingly,the same year Anakin Skywalker was supposedly conceived from the Force itself.
Related:Is The Mandalorian Disneys Biggest Betrayal Of Lucas Star Wars Vision?
While we don't know the scope in timeline that The Mandalorian's overall storywillcover,the show's official synopsis sets in in between the aftermath of the Galactic Empire's fall and before the emergence of the First Order. Season 2's principal photography is already in full swing, with rumbles about even a potential movie. Depending on how things pan out for the rest of the season, the introduction of this baby Yoda - who's also Force sensitive as confirmed in the show's second episode titled "The Child" - can mean big things for the franchise's future. So much so, it might even have an impact on the the ongoing sequel trilogy, particularly with regard to the mysterious narrative of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
Assuming that baby Yoda survives the events of The Mandalorian, what are the chances that a grown-up version of the character pops out in The Rise of Skywalker? The concept sounds cool considering the film's theme of banding together to fight the Dark side, making sense of his re-emergence after years of not getting involved with the galaxy's pressing issues. However, with so many subplots left forEpisode IX to tackle, introducing this new character who can incite confusion about Jedi Master Yoda's current state might be deemed too much for the Skywalker saga capper.
That being said, it doesn't mean that his existence won't factor in The Rise of Skywalker's story, particularly if he's indeed linked to cloning practices in the franchise.If The Mandalorian's Dr. Pershing gets his hands on baby Yoda and theories about him being a Kaminoan turns out to be true, the chances of him trying to make another clone infant and/or exploit his Force abilities in the hopes of transferring it to someone else increase. Rey's origins continues to be a central mystery despite Star Wars: The Last Jedi downplaying her lineage. One of the more prevalent speculation about her is that she's a clone in conjunction to the reveal of Dark Rey. Meanwhile, another theory in conjunction to this revolves around Emperor Palpatine somehow getting his hands on the infant and using its physical body as his consciousness' host. This makes sense considering the species' ability to age slower, meaning, they can linger longer than a normal being. It's also worth noting that at this point, trailers for The Rise of Skywalker still hasn't shown us Palpatine's physical state despite the confirmation that he's integral to the story.
WhetherThe Mandalorian's baby Yoda is a clone or not remains to be seen. However, with cloning practices in Star Wars once again becoming a hot topic of discussion for boththeir big andsmall screen offerings, it's difficult not to assume that it will somehow play a role in the franchise's current stories.
More:Why The Mandalorians Episodes Are So Short
The Mandalorian: Every Star Wars Easter Egg In Episode 2
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 8th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market 2025 Expected to reach HIghest CAGR : IBM, Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications, Baidu, Microsoft - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- MSP Gail Ross victim of online identify theft - Northern Times - July 8th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- It's Time to Rethink How You Handle Cloning Out Distractions - Fstoppers - July 5th, 2020
- The best sci-fi movies about cloning - Looper - July 5th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants: Acronis, Symantec, Microsoft, Paramount Software - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Thieves cloning ATM cards to steal cash | Local News | times-news.com - Cumberland Times-News - June 20th, 2020
- Stranger Things Season 4 Theory: The Jim Hopper In Russia Is A CLONE - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- 'Stranger Things' Season 4 theory suggests Hopper clone - International Business Times UK - June 17th, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market Competitive Analysis and Forecast 2018-2028 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- Developing Qt5 applications natively on Wind River Linux - WIND - June 1st, 2020
- cloning | Definition, Process, & Types | Britannica - May 11th, 2020
- Cloning Fact Sheet | NHGRI - Genome.gov - May 11th, 2020
- A 'Star Wars' Fan Explained How the Palpatine Clone Was Teased Long Before 'The Rise of Skywalker' - Esquire - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus clone from Switzerland goes 'viral' - Innovation Origins - May 11th, 2020
- Chinas scientists accused of playing God by creating monstrous cloned apes and primates with human organs - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Research Growth by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2025 - Express Journal - May 11th, 2020
- Measuring the Impact: Demand for Disk Cloning Imaging Software Product Augmented by Global Outbreak of COVID-330 - 3rd Watch News - May 11th, 2020
- This self-cloning crayfish is scuttling into rivers and streams throughout Alberta - CBC.ca - April 29th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Bored of Zoom Meetings? Build a Digital Clone to Attend for You - Voicebot.ai - April 11th, 2020
- Scientists who cloned Dolly the sheep 'in talks over coronavirus treatment' - Metro.co.uk - April 11th, 2020
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons item cloning exploit lets devious players rake in the Bells - Eurogamer.net - March 24th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2025 - Express Journal - March 24th, 2020
- I would clone my dog and Im not ashamed to admit it - The Guardian - March 5th, 2020
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Novelization Reveals Rey's Father is a Failed Palpatine Clone - /FILM - March 5th, 2020
- Send In The Clones - Escalon Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cheque cloning in Kochi: How north Indian racket scammed banks of Rs 2.6 cr - THE WEEK - March 5th, 2020
- Spy vs Spy: cloned phones, break-ins and rogue agents all in a days work at the State Security central - Daily Maverick - March 5th, 2020
- Phish Sends In The Clones As They Float Above MSG, Rescue Squad Saves Trey On NYE [Photos/Videos] - Live for Live Music - January 6th, 2020
- Using ETF clones to save on fees - InvestmentNews - January 6th, 2020
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 28th, 2019
- The Mandalorian fans think episode 5 ending teases Boba Fettheres why - Polygon - December 13th, 2019
- DNA Embedded Into Everyday Objects Creates Perfect Clones of the Stanford Bunny - Nature World News - December 13th, 2019
- Dead dogs and cats cloned by grieving owners to have a piece of them back' - Daily Star - December 13th, 2019
- Huge Outlay on Voice Cloning Market Growth Analysis and Forecasting with Major Players are Baidu Inc, Google LLC, Lyrebird.ai, iSpeech AG, VivoText... - December 13th, 2019
- Master the art of face swapping with OpenCV and Python by Sylwek Brzczkowski, developer at TrustStamp - Packt Hub - December 13th, 2019
- In the digital age fraudsters dupe AIIMS of 12 crore by cloning cheques and signatures - National Herald - November 30th, 2019
- How The Mandalorian could unravel The Rise of Skywalkers biggest mysteries - Digital Trends - November 30th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker': This 'Mandalorian' Baby Yoda Fan Theory Could Explain Everything - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 30th, 2019
- When The Mandalorian takes place and what it means for Baby Yoda - Polygon - November 23rd, 2019
- Behind the Mask: Theories and Analysis for Watchmen S1E5 - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory: 'Mandalorian' cloning could retcon Rey's origins - Inverse - November 17th, 2019
- 'Watchmen': How Lady Trieu May Connect to Ozymandias's Clone Factory - Decider - November 17th, 2019
- The Mandalorian: Did Dr. Pershings patch give away his intentions? - Dork Side of the Force - November 17th, 2019
- Facebook on the Road to Copy Instagram: Popular Photos in the Making - Digital Information World - November 17th, 2019
- Rick and Morty: Operation Phoenix Is the Universe's Most Dangerous Weapon - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 17th, 2019
- The Star Wars movies debrief: Attack Of The Clones recap, legacy and best bits - Den of Geek UK - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- The Mandalorian Hints at the Return of Kamino Cloning | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 14th, 2019
- Here's a The Mandalorian Clone Theory and What It Could Mean - /FILM - November 14th, 2019
- Voice Cloning Market Industry Insights, Top Trends, Drivers, Growth and Forecast to 2028 - Downey Magazine - November 14th, 2019
- Facebook Tried to Acquire Musical.ly For Six Months In 2016 - Digital Music News - November 14th, 2019
- Is tissue culture the future of growing cannabis? - Leafly - November 14th, 2019
- Browns Odell Beckham Jr. said it was his dream to be teammates with Tom Brady - The Boston Globe - October 24th, 2019
- Aliens Already Invaded Earth With Tiny Probes, New Study Claims - International Business Times - October 24th, 2019
- The future of tequila: How clones, bats and biodiversity will help agave survive - The Dallas Morning News - October 22nd, 2019
- Tom Brady and Bob Kraft get the last laugh with quarterbacks cameo in Netflix series - The Boston Globe - October 22nd, 2019
- Living With Yourself Finale Recap: Me, Myself, and You - Vulture - October 20th, 2019
- Muskegon-area Week 8 football picks: With 2 blockbusters, cloning is appealing - MLive.com - October 20th, 2019
- Eminem 'cloned' conspiracy explodes after rapper releases track 'exposing theory' - Daily Star - October 20th, 2019
- Apple Card user says they were a victim of fraud despite never using their physical card - iMore - October 20th, 2019
- Intact Genomics Awarded the Patent of Fungal Artificial Chromosome Technologies - Suburban Journals - September 26th, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory explains Snoke, Rey, and Palps return all at once - Inverse - September 26th, 2019
- Number plate cloning how you could get stung - RACQ Live - August 25th, 2017
- Crooks cloning number plates to lump innocent drivers with fines - 9news.com.au - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ... - The New Indian Express - August 25th, 2017
- Cloning Couture | Exploring the world of couture sewing - August 20th, 2017
- Cloning of debit, credit cards: Key accused held, search on for 4 ... - The Indian Express - August 20th, 2017
- Ghana national held for withdrawing money by cloning ATM cards - India Today - August 18th, 2017
- Physicists measure complementary properties using quantum clones - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping Delhiites by cloning cards at ATMs | Delhi ... - Times of India - August 16th, 2017
- Disgraced Korean scientist Hwang Woo-suk loses legal battle over mammoth cloning tech - The Korea Herald - August 15th, 2017
- 'Card cloning' device puts key card entry at risk - WTHR - August 15th, 2017
- Using 'tap and go' will protect against fraud through 'ghost' EFTPOS terminals, police say - ABC Online - August 15th, 2017
- CRISPR-Cleaned Piglets Have Been Cloned for Organ Donation - Big Think - August 15th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 13th, 2017
- China's cloning of genetically modified dogs for research raises concerns - SBS - August 13th, 2017